Poll: Do you believe in psychics, extraterrestrial life, time travel, other universes?

Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    All this proves is that there is nobody dumb enough to potentially advertise to the world that they have supernatural powers.
    That goes in direct contradiction with how those with """supernatural powers""" love to make shows and advertise themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons and as a last, drastic measure.
    Oof...

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    It's not silly. By showing there is nothing in the box, you prove the "negative claim".
    what's silly is your reasoning. and it appears there is nothing I can do to help you. have a nice day! your tape is stuck in a loop

Quote Originally Posted by MoFalcon View Post
    what's silly is your reasoning. and it appears there is nothing I can do to help you. have a nice day! your tape is stuck in a loop
    I suppose I can't stop you from double-downing on falsehoods. It's your right to be willingly wrong, though.

See how it silly your response was?
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons and as a last, drastic measure.
    Oof...

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    No, no.

They tried.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7CASghTzNhc&t=216s

He debunked tons of claims. Letting people use dousing rods to find rocks hidden on a stage, and failing. Used a police scanner to prove a faith healer was being fed information about the randomly selected audience members. Etc.
    It doesn't matter how many people failed to win the prize or try for it.

It is weak evidence at best. All it means no one could win the prize, not they don't exist.

Of course I don't believe they exist, but that isn't because no one won Randi's prize.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Not really but I can suspend my disbelief for the sake of fun when, for example, visiting a fortune teller or tarot card reader. Or watching one of those trashy UFO shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    It doesn't matter how many people failed to win the prize or try for it.

It is weak evidence at best. All it means no one could win the prize, not they don't exist.

Of course I don't believe they exist, but that isn't because no one won Randi's prize.
    The point is that in order for something like that to exist, it would have to be proven. It had the burden of proof.

Randi provided a very public, honest method for those who wished to prove it. And an incredible incentive to do so. And many did try. The fact that those failed is evidence against its existence, because it adds a complication to the already burdened: Not only must psychic powers exist, but no psychics, mediums, dousers, telekineticists, telepaths, (etc) at the same time could *and* would have bothered to prove it on a national stage when provided the riskless opportunity and significant incentive. If supernatural powers did exist, and as many people have them as are claimed, you'd think *one* of those people would have tried and succeeded.

Unless you add in the possibility that James Randi had supernatural powers, lol.
    Last edited by Amnaught; 2021-10-15 at 11:45 PM.

The point is that in order for something like that to exist, it would have to be proven. It had the burden of proof.

Randi provided a very public, honest method for those who wished to prove it. And an incredible incentive to do so. And many did try. The fact that those failed is evidence against its existence, because it adds a complication to the already burdened: Not only must psychic powers exist, but no psychics, mediums, dousers, telekineticists, telepaths, (etc) at the same time could *and* would have bothered to prove it on a national stage when provided the riskless opportunity and significant incentive.
    Yes the burden is to prove it exist is on the people who claim they exist.

That said the Randi's prize is not collected is not really relevant under any circumstances.

There are several Flat Earthers who offer prizes to "prove the Earth is round" people have attempted to collect and have been denied ... even by courts.
    Last edited by Darththeo; 2021-10-16 at 12:26 AM.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    All this proves is that there is nobody dumb enough to potentially advertise to the world that they have supernatural powers.
    Finally! Somebody understands the really fucked up problem with that kind of publicity.
    No, no. They tried.
    No. Only the phonies tried. The real deal doesn't want the publicity.

Reminded of an old show whete the guy would walk in to his stockbroker's office and tell him to sell a particular stock...right...now. *ka-ching* 6 figures in his account. He just...knew. And he'd feed his acount every few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Finally! Somebody understands the really fucked up problem with that kind of publicity. No. Only the phonies tried. The real deal doesn't want the publicity.

Reminded of an old show whete the guy would walk in to his stockbroker's office and tell him to sell a particular stock...right...now. *ka-ching* 6 figures in his account. He just...knew. And he'd feed his acount every few weeks.
    This really begs the question for *why* it would be a bad thing to announce. Murder trials and some missing persons cases would be a lot easier if "non-phony" mediums would contact the victims. Investigators and military contractors would be very excited to hire astral projectors as scouts. Faith healers could work in hospitals. People with dousing rods could find oil for oil companies. What benefit could secrecy have at all, and how would every single one of those people with "real" powers each individually decide that keeping it a secret was in their own personal benefit? People *love* publicity, but not *one* of these people do?

This really begs the question for *why* it would be a bad thing to announce. Murder trials and some missing persons cases would be a lot easier if "non-phony" mediums would contact the victims. Investigators and military contractors would be very excited to hire astral projectors as scouts. Faith healers could work in hospitals. People with dousing rods could find oil for oil companies. What benefit could secrecy have at all, and how would every single one of those people with "real" powers each individually decide that keeping it a secret was in their own personal benefit? People *love* publicity, but not *one* of these people do?
    How do you verify what the psychic sees is correct? It would be great if they were real and could talk to the dead, but it doesn't really make things as easy as you would. All it does would allow all victims to be witnesses.

Side note: Babylon 5 has telepaths and they had set up laws concerning what scans were allowed in courts and what ones were not.
    Last edited by Darththeo; 2021-10-16 at 12:46 AM.
    –The Sith Code

This really begs the question for *why* it would be a bad thing to announce.
    If everyone believed the person was genuine then he or she would never be left alone. From government officials to high level criminal elements they'd want this..."resource" to be their personal tool. It wouldn't be pleasant at all.

I can't believe after all this time, no true psychic has ever been found out. Like, what a conspiracy. "No, the TRUE ones are hiding, they COULD find the oil with their ACTUAL magic dousing rods, but they DON'T, and are REALLY good at hiding it!" is what it sounds like you are saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    I can't believe after all this time, no true psychic has ever been found out. Like, what a conspiracy. "No, the TRUE ones are hiding, they COULD find the oil with their ACTUAL magic dousing rods, but they DON'T, and are REALLY good at hiding it!" is what it sounds like you are saying.
    Your first three words "I can't believe" is exactly what that's about. Even if someone did something supernatural in front of you you'd "explain it away." ("I think I see the wires")
    Human denial is easy to reinforce. Especially when the person in question admits he's a fraud. (Yeah, ya got me. An old sleight of hand trick)

Your first three words "I can't believe" is exactly what that's about. Even if someone did something supernatural in front of you you'd "explain it away." ("I think I see the wires")
    Human denial is easy to reinforce. Especially when the person in question admits he's a fraud. (Yeah, ya got me. An old sleight of hand trick)
    Thats just circular logic. So, try again?

Sorry but " psychic power is just too crazy for the human mind!" isn't a real argument. The I can't believe sentence was also a sarcastic one, of course no true psychic has ever been found out in all of recorded history, because they don't exist.

If everyone believed the person was genuine then he or she would never be left alone. From government officials to high level criminal elements they'd want this..."resource" to be their personal tool. It wouldn't be pleasant at all.
    And do you think *everyone* would believe that the publicity wouldnt be worth it? Not a majority, but *all* of them? In a society obsessed with personal recognition? None at the end of their life deciding to write something down to prove it posthumously? Not a single psychic convinced they could prove it anonymously by posting a bunch of clear, concise, accurate predictions on the internet? No mediums prepared to contact the deceased for the purposes of bringing their murderer to justice, anonymously? Absolutely *zero* faith healers in hospitals demonstrating their powers with any amount of consistency?

Just one of those people in Vegas would be all it took.

Thats just circular logic. So, try again?

Sorry but " psychic power is just too crazy for the human mind!" isn't a real argument. The I can't believe sentence was also a sarcastic one, of course no true psychic has ever been found out in all of recorded history, because they don't exist.
    That wasn't really a circular argument.

Look at people who don't believe we have been to space, they do exactly what Shadowferal is talking about.
    Now, let's pretend we are in a world where people only secretly go to space, but video got leaked. You'll have people doing that exact same thing, but now you get support from the person involved.

Yes, there will be people who don't accept the statement and feel things are false, but they would have no means of proving what they believe to be true for most people.

However, Shadowferal is not really answering the question either. He is dodging it.
    –The Sith Code

Just one of those people in Vegas would be all it took.
    And the person in question would be under "protection." (Doing what he or she is told, or else.)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    However, Shadowferal is not really answering the question either. He is dodging it.
    Do you really believe there's an answer to...what's the question again?

Do you really believe there's an answer to...what's the question again?
    Why if psychics are real, why there has been absolutely no proof presented under any circumstances. Including but not limited people wanting the publicity or money. It is weird that not one has come forward at any point.

Even Randi joke that the real psychics if they existed must be "independently wealthy" to not accept his prize.
    –The Sith Code

To be fair, they can see the future. They'd know why to hide themselves.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

This psychics exist theory here has the wonderful property of being unfalsifiable. There are an arbitrary number of unfalsifiable theories; why should this one get our attention and not any of the others? I like the "undetectable ten legged unicorns" theory myself. Why don't we see them? Because they're undetectable, duh!
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "Sooner or later everyone sits down to a banquet of consequences." -- Robert Louis Stevenson
    Get your COVID booster. It works so much better than horse paste.