Poll: Do you believe in psychics, extraterrestrial life, time travel, other universes?

Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Psychics: No. People have been scheming and manipulating others into believing something since the dawn of the modern age, often to extort money from them (or something else of value).

ET life: Yes. For years, science pitched the idea to the general public that life could only exist with oxygen due to it's usage as a fuel for cells. That theory falls apart immediately if you don't assume that all living cells in the universe require oxygen, and could instead sustain themselves on other elements. I don't know whether I believe in highly intelligent life out there (i.e. human-level), but I do consider that it's likely some lower intelligence life forms exist. Simple life forms akin to amoeba most certainly exist somewhere - I base this on the simple fact that such forms exist in the extremes of our planet.

Time travel: I don't believe time is anything but a manmade construct, but without it, we can't say when something happened or will happen. Light may travel at a constant speed, but I don't believe that it holds a specific 'link' to time travel. For example, I don't believe that if you were able to travel faster than the speed of light, that you would actually be able to experience the past, nor do I think you'd be able to catapult yourself into the future. What has happened has happened, and I believe that time travel would ultimately require more than just exceeding the speed of light (which seems to be the common theory).

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Maybe the odds are that low, but again, given that there's nothing about Earth's composition or the Sun's composition that's unique, why would it life, which arose from that composition, be unique?
    Given that we don't really know how life forms for sure, why do you assume that whatever is going here is even remotely likely?

If it was as straight forward as you say we would have a proper value for that drake equation.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by OwenBurton View Post
    You don't need to take this entirely seriously. But just out of curiosity, do you personally believe in psychics, the possibility of extraterrestrial life, time travel, the existence of other alternate universes? During the Cold War, the Americans and Soviets spent millions on psychic espionage programs and trying to monitor potential signs of extraterrestrial life (there are even archives of their activities released online), and time travel and other universes also seem to be theoretically possible via science, though this remains highly controversial.

https://slate.com/technology/2017/03...s-in-1984.html

What do you personally think? Are there things in our reality which we cannot explain?
    Psychics: Not "as advertised", but wouldn't be surprised if people could sense to some extent their environment using just their brain; eyes are just brain extensions too after all. So yeah, maybe some vague electro awareness or something, perhaps leading to a more complete "passive" perception; a sort of "spider sense" at its most dramatic, if toned down to reality.

Extraterrestrial life: Pretty much guaranteed. Advanced / intelligent? Dunno about that. People do not seem to want to consider that perhaps technology itself has a hard limit forever preventing true space exploration, thus dooming all advanced species to slowly dying out in their cradles.

Time travel: Seems extremely unlikely to the point of being impossible, though it might also "just" be inconsequential in that altering the past just creates a new branch of reality in a multiverse, making time immutable while still allowing time travel.

Other universes: Seems as likely as not, but it really depends on what you mean with this. Visitable? Perceivable? Conceivable? The answers vary, but honestly i'd regard all of them as being inconsequent to our universe and thus to our reality.

Other things we cannot explain (Ever?): Definitely, perhaps knowledge itself may prove limited in the future (moreso than the quantummechanical bullshit); we just don't know, and will likely continue to not know things until the of humanity is extinguished.

Ghosts: GHOSTS!
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Psychics, no that cold/hot reading techniques. ETs, maybe the size of the universe is vast but it’s probably extremely rare require the perfect conditions. Time travel, well yea but only forward as it’s linear, as proven with the atomic clock in space. Other universes who knows honestly but it makes you wonder where all that light and matter goes in a black, aka the unproven white hole.

The skies and universe is staggering if you stop to think about it and just to think we’re just a small specks traveling along on this blue marble.

Psychics? Probably the one I have the hardest time believing. But I don't see a reason to fight hard against it. Just seems like the type of thing human nature would have taken much more advantage of if it actually was something people had.

ETs? Please.. if we are the only life in the whole universe than we got problems because it means life itself is more likely a mistake and the universe will probably be correcting that mistake sooner rather than later.

Time travel? I let a few moments pass for this one.. and I remember I was here.. in this room.. like a few moments ago.. I have indeed travelled through time. The easiest one to see actually happening.

Other universes? It just seems like the way of things. You have planets in solar systems. Then solar systems in galaxies. Galaxies in the universe. Why not universes in something else. The thing about this one is that it probably really doesn't matter to much. I mean lets be real.. we struggle with our planet so to go this big at this point right or wrong just seems pointless.

Psychics: I think some people are ultra-perceptive and can cold read or play therapist to others. It's a discipline of deception though, nothing more.

Extraterrestrial Life: Of course, duh. It's simply stupid to assume that Earth is the only planet in the universe to spawn life.

Time Travel: Of course not, but yeah time is a complex concept. There are some interesting thing there, but no going back to the 80s kinda thing.

Other Universes: No.

Probably not on Earth, but probably.

10+ Year Old Account
    Psychics: I have prophetic dreams semi-regularly, so the idea that we could one day harness our brain power to see glimpses of the future doesn't seem all that far-fetched to me. That being said I don't think the people who claim to be psychic are truly psychic.

ETs: The likelihood that Earth is the only planet in existence that has life on it is extraordinarily unlikely. No clue on what form that life takes though.

Time Travel: You could probably travel forward in time, but not backwards.

Universes: Hmm maybe. I don't think we really know enough about our own universe to make any conclusions on that.

psychics is easy. all you need is a biological radio transmitter/receiver. that's telepathy right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Psychics: I have prophetic dreams semi-regularly, so the idea that we could one day harness our brain power to see glimpses of the future doesn't seem all that far-fetched to me. That being said I don't think the people who claim to be psychic are truly psychic.
    Dreams are just your brain processing the information that you have. Predicting the future is using probability to pick the right result. No one can predict the future every time because you have to know the exact position of every particle in the universe. "Maybe" people who can predict the future are more sensitive and sense more data so they have more info to work with. But connecting this with prophetic dreams I like to use the analogy "a broken clock is right twice a day". If you are good at remembering dreams sometimes it will seem like you dreamt of the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

I believe people claiming to be psychics exist, their methods of con artistry are well known, I believe that's very likely but we'll never realistically encounter them even with science fiction technology like lightspeed space travel, I'm doing it forward right now at a fixed rate, and I'll let a professional take the last question:

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    Out of the top of my head:

Time travel (forwards, not backwards) has already been proven to be possible.

The existence of extraterrestrial life has been mathematically "proven".

Other universes - idk what the scientific consensus on this is and I am too lazy to google it.

Psychics = charlatanism
    Last edited by Beatman; 2021-03-03 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Psychics: I have prophetic dreams semi-regularly,
    Something similar myself.
    Fucking annoying. I always feel caged when I wake up.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Something similar myself.
    Fucking annoying. I always feel caged when I wake up.
    This is caused by depression. I've been there.
    It makes you feel like an amazing person. But it's really your brain Crying out for help in it's death throes.

I *Strongly* recommend seeking professional help for yourself, and for any others in this thread that have reached the point in their life where they may not be able to ask for the help they Need. Again, I can't emphasize enough that this state of mind is not a special power or a Unique ability - it's a cry for help.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimekaro View Post
    snipped for crazy .
    Please...for fuck's sake you know nothing about me. Just stop.

...you need professional help..
    Yeah, sure. We all do...

Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post
    Yep, with the numbers we are talking about, it's stuff we can't even imagine. We couldn't write down the number of planets out there in our whole lifetime.
    A fairly relevant quote I came across online summs the issue up pretty well. It went something like this:
    To disbelieve in the possible existence of extra terrestrial life in our universe simply because we have not yet encountered any is like disbelieving in the possible existence of sharks because you went to the Ocean, collected a single molecule of water, and discovered no sharks in it when you examined it.

Everything but psychics

in infinity there are aliens, other universes, but not time travel i think

Yes, why? Because I have experienced things after having a NDE. People can believe what they want but I know what I have experienced and what I have seen that is not of this planet

My DeviantART: http://hypzone.deviantart.com/ | Requests: Closed

Quote Originally Posted by Saiteck View Post
    Yes, why? Because I have experienced things after having a NDE. People can believe what they want but I know what I have experienced and what I have seen that is not of this planet
    How and when did you have your experience? What exactly did you see?
    "You see, there is balance in all things. Wisdom etched in our very fur: Black and white. Darkness and light. When the last emperor hid our land from the rest of the world, he also preserved...our ancient enemy, the mantid. So it is with your Alliance and your Horde. They are not strong despite one another; they are strong BECAUSE of one another. You mistake your greatest strength for weakness. Do you see this?"