Poll: Do you believe in psychics, extraterrestrial life, time travel, other universes?

Page 7 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    this thread is basically what coast to coast am talks about every night i i think this is more entertaining to listen to than anything else.
    “Choose a job you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life” “Logic will get you from A to Z; Imagination will get you everywhere.”

I do not believe people who make money by believing in the supernatural)) But I believe that there is something like that. I enjoy tarot reading from time to time. It really gives me some help.

Quote Originally Posted by Naiattavain View Post
    this thread is basically what coast to coast am talks about every night i i think this is more entertaining to listen to than anything else.
    Albert Einstein, the world's greatest genius, had this quote:

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom the emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand wrapped in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed. The insight into the mystery of life, coupled though it be with fear, has also given rise to religion. To know what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty, which our dull faculties can comprehend only in their most primitive forms-this knowledge, this feeling is at the center of true religiousness."

Even as a practical example, a hundred years ago, a flying car was considered magical and impossible. Today, they are very possible. Never underestimate the limits of science and imagination.
    "You see, there is balance in all things. Wisdom etched in our very fur: Black and white. Darkness and light. When the last emperor hid our land from the rest of the world, he also preserved...our ancient enemy, the mantid. So it is with your Alliance and your Horde. They are not strong despite one another; they are strong BECAUSE of one another. You mistake your greatest strength for weakness. Do you see this?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Psychics No they’re ALL FULL OF SHIT!

Nobody can predict the future through some super natural means period.

E.T

99% no

1% yes

If some accounts are true. Aliens consider us no more important than cattle.

Time travel Yes. Time is a concept of humanity we often count from one event to the other against a infinite. It’s possible energy transforms and keeps doing it.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2021-05-20 at 05:47 PM.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

What do you mean 'do you believe in physics'? lmao

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OwenBurton View Post
    Albert Einstein, the world's greatest genius, had this quote:

Even as a practical example, a hundred years ago, a flying car was considered magical and impossible. Today, they are very possible. Never underestimate the limits of science and imagination.

No it is not. The purpose of science is to test what is real. To gain knowledge from that. It isn’t in any form magic.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Physics is not a matter whether you believe in it or not
    Do you believe your phone works and that you are using the internet right now? It really doesn't matter. Physics is what is, whether we like it, believe in it or not.

Time travel doesn't currently exist and I don't think we've been visited by time travelers, but I think maybe someday through phenomenon if not technology. I don't think it's anything we will be able to harness to send people through time. Stiens;gate text messages or quantum-level bits as data maybe.

Certain human abilities exist that are not currently explained by science. They probably can be explained someday, but won't be any less interesting just because they're less mysterious. I don't think predicting the future is possible, but other psychic things like non-verbal communication beyond body language is actually kinda well documented. Empaths exist in the least.

Simulation theory imo is more likely than the quantum idea of parallel universes, but it wouldn't surprise me if there are actual other universes.

There has to be life out there, but I don't think it has observed us or us it yet.
    Last edited by Firefall; 2021-05-20 at 05:55 PM.

Extraterrestrial life is the easiest of these to believe, I just don't think any has visited us yet. Unlike Star Trek dreams I don't think sufficiently advanced life in our galaxy is that numerous and certainly not that closely resembling of human societies. And traveling between star systems is a long trip, so it's possible even those who managed to reach lightspeeds haven't been able to spread out that much. From our system to Alpha Centauri you need to travel over 4 years at lightspeed. Imagine going further than that. And that's only if lightspeed actually can be cracked, otherwise we're talking about generational trips between systems, Passengers-style.

Time travel forward is scientifically sound, but not so much backwards.

Alternate universes are a sound theory, but as far as I know they remain unproven.

I don't think psychics exist. Not sure why US G-man saw merit in that enough to build a secret program around it, but regardless I don't think it's an actual thing.
    Last edited by Zuben; 2021-05-24 at 01:53 PM.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

I read an article about extraterrestrial life, and one thing I thought was clever, was that since we have no way of knowing, there are possibilities that there are life outside of our world, to the opposite if we knew that there wasn't, well then there wasn't a possibility.

I firmly believe that there must be more than us in the vast universe(s). And I find it kinda strange, how we have gotten where we are now. 2000 years ago, we didn't have the tech we have now, not 1000s, not 500, not even 100 years ago. How did we suddenly turn stone and dust into metal, cars, spacecraft, graphic cards and VR? How did we after so many years(10s of thousands) find out we needed that and how to make it?

Fascinating.

Hmm, in order:

-obviously not, we know exactly how psychics pretend to work. We have a TV show revolving around it for goodness sake. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psych

-Statistically likely, but given the scale of the universe, functionally impossible for us to ever make meaningful contact with them. Let's say we had sci-fi lightspeed spaceships that were infinitely renewable to travel forever and infinite reach infinite fidelity telescopes. We discover a planet full of intelligent life via the telescopes 1 million lightyears away. We get in our spaceships to go meet them. One million years later, we arrive and they're all dead. Turns out the information we received via those telescopes, plus travel time, means 2 million years have passed. We look back through our telescopes, see earth waving for us to return, hopefully travel back, whoops that information was now another 2 million years old, it's a miracle humans survived that long really.

-Of course, I'm traveling at a persistent rate forward through time right now. We can distort time in ways that seem impossible by traveling fast enough, too. But "go back in time to kill Hitler" kind? Probably not.

As far as great mysteries I actually think we'll make headway in, colonizing other planets, thus creating extraterrestrial life ourselves via super-advanced genetic engineering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Hmm, in order:

-obviously not, we know exactly how psychics pretend to work. We have a TV show revolving around it for goodness sake. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psych

-Statistically likely, but given the scale of the universe, functionally impossible for us to ever make meaningful contact with them. Let's say we had sci-fi lightspeed spaceships that were infinitely renewable to travel forever and infinite reach infinite fidelity telescopes. We discover a planet full of intelligent life via the telescopes 1 million lightyears away. We get in our spaceships to go meet them. One million years later, we arrive and they're all dead. Turns out the information we received via those telescopes, plus travel time, means 2 million years have passed. We look back through our telescopes, see earth waving for us to return, hopefully travel back, whoops that information was now another 2 million years old, it's a miracle humans survived that long really.

-Of course, I'm traveling at a persistent rate forward through time right now. We can distort time in ways that seem impossible by traveling fast enough, too. But "go back in time to kill Hitler" kind? Probably not.

As far as great mysteries I actually think we'll make headway in, colonizing other planets, thus creating extraterrestrial life ourselves via super-advanced genetic engineering.
    You really think that? The multiverse theory has become "immensely" popular in recent years in the United States - especially in popular culture, of course, the concept of the branching off of alternate realities in parallel worlds, I think Amazon even made a TV show about something like that years ago.

What do you think about all those sightings of UFOs though, or supposed "experiences" with other beings as reported by lots of Americans? Are they all hoaxes or hallucinations?
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...a0d_story.html
    https://time.com/6071397/ufo-study/
    "You see, there is balance in all things. Wisdom etched in our very fur: Black and white. Darkness and light. When the last emperor hid our land from the rest of the world, he also preserved...our ancient enemy, the mantid. So it is with your Alliance and your Horde. They are not strong despite one another; they are strong BECAUSE of one another. You mistake your greatest strength for weakness. Do you see this?"

3+ Year Old Account
    Psychics, no. Extraterrestrials, almost certainly yes, given the vastness of the universe. Time travel, maybe. But the ease of creating paradoxes and the Butterfly effect in general would make it impractical, at least in terms of visiting the past. Parallel universes Pannenkoek already proved to be real.

I believe in life outside our planet.

If we can't prove it's not, then there is a chance that there is. And seeing how small we really are, how extremely little we know, I believe it must be something out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    I believe in life outside our planet.

If we can't prove it's not, then there is a chance that there is. And seeing how small we really are, how extremely little we know, I believe it must be something out there.
    I think that if there isn't any other life out there in the vast universe, it's an AWFUL waste of space...but without solid evidence, I can't simply "believe;" I just think it's likely.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Why would you lump in bogus mumbo jumbo (psychics) with science (time travel, alternative universes)?

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    Why would you lump in bogus mumbo jumbo (psychics) with science (time travel, alternative universes)?
    Most people's understanding of alternative universe theory or time travel borders on the mumbo jumbo, its entirely possible that psychics may exist to a certain extent; although not the bending spoons with their minds extent.

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    There's just as much evidence supporting Time Travel and alternate universes as there is for psychics...

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    I think that if there isn't any other life out there in the vast universe, it's an AWFUL waste of space...but without solid evidence, I can't simply "believe;" I just think it's likely.
    Yeah, it's likely is probably a better term to use here.

I think it's likely that there are life outside our planet, which is nothing compared to the vast, vast universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    There's just as much evidence supporting Time Travel and alternate universes as there is for psychics...
    I already travel through time, just in one direction