Poll: Do you believe in psychics, extraterrestrial life, time travel, other universes?

Page 9 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    What do you mean 'do you believe in physics'? lmao
    Your reading skills need a bit of work.
    Chicken fried rice is delicious!

Grey's are real but they aren't aliens they are men from the future. The reason why I say men and not people is because pollution is shrinking the size of dicks while at the same time increasing the size of vaginas. In the future males have become these sickly looking no dick creatures we call greys while women have basically become monstrous meat flowers. Further proof is the fact that the Greys are obsessed with anal and beef.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    I was agreeing with you. We all travel forward through time at a rate of 1 second per second.

Thing is though, when most people speak of "time travel" they are talking about traveling through time in a manner that is inconsistent with the natural flow of time. That is to say they are speaking of traveling through time at a rate greater than 1 second per second and possibly even in the reverse direction.

That's the kind of "time travel" that doesn't have any scientific basis and that's the time travel that's being discussed. I do hope you're all caught up now.
    ok thanks for catching me up, like i said its ok to be wrong, its also sad to act snarky because of it

suppose your handle fits

10+ Year Old Account
    Out of curiousity, why did you pair psychics with extraterrestrial life and other universes? That seems like apples and oranges to me.

I don't believe that psychics are genuinely psychic. Time cannot be traveled as far as we know due to its nature. I think extraterrestrial life and other universes, however, are plausible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did I already reply to this thread to state that all on that list is bullshit aside from possibility of extraterrestrial life being a thing because the Universe is you know, huge and the odds are not 0 given Earth existing and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Bwonsamdi the Dead View Post
    I believe in them all except Time Travel
    Define time travel, though. Because it's arguably the only phenomenon on the list that has been directly observed.

Quote Originally Posted by draugril View Post
    Define time travel, though. Because it's arguably the only phenomenon on the list that has been directly observed.
    do you mean just moving forward through time or time dilation sort of things?

only ask because i know very little about the latter and am interested

I have a problem with the question as it assumes the scientific questions/theories/hypothesis around time travel, other universes and alien life are the same as psychics.

That's like asking do you believe in dinosaurs, meglodons, saber tooth tigers and fairies.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by molliewoof View Post
    do you mean just moving forward through time or time dilation sort of things?

only ask because i know very little about the latter and am interested
    My information may be out of date, but I recall awhile ago scientists (perhaps at Princeton?) using caesium to essentially accelerate light 300x the speed of light. The next step will be transmitting information at that speed. I vaguely recall similar experiments being done with plasma. Once you can break the speed of light, you can begin to play with "time travel."

But I was more-or-less referring to time dilation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    I have a problem with the question as it assumes the scientific questions/theories/hypothesis around time travel, other universes and alien life are the same as psychics.

That's like asking do you believe in dinosaurs, meglodons, saber tooth tigers and fairies.
    It's always interesting when the psychic crowd tries to co-opt scientific concepts like quantum entanglement to explain their claims, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    I believe that there is something that transcends modern day science yes, in the sense that it's under-developed and because of it's half blindness and flawed nature is unable to offer correct answers on many of the relevant modern day issues. Society evolved so fast that not even science can keep up with all of the new problems and can only offer flawed and wrong answers to any of them.
    This something that transcends science and rationality might as well be called "divinity", sure.
    In principle I agree with this line of thinking.
    But I decline to use the word "divinity." It has too much baggage.

The other problem I have with the OP question, is the use of the word believe.

There's no belief in science. Science is just facts.
    There's no facts in belief. Belief is thinking something is or isn't true based on no facts. If there were facts to prove something is true or not, there's nothing to believe or not, because you'd know it for a fact.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    There's no belief in science. Science is just facts.
    Ironic that Nietzsche would disagree with you.

- psychics? Entirely possible, but I doubt anything like what we imagine from comics or sci-fi is likely to be present on earth. The more learn about quantum mechanics, the more likely psychic phenomenon become potentially explainable, but that doesn't lead to the likelyhood of psychic superpowers or the like. Also, obviously, nobody with even a fragment of common sense would ever actively advertise that they were literal esper types, cause that would be a one way ticket to a government black site or a life on the run.

- extra terrestrials? Almost 100% guaranteed they are out there. Almost 0% chance that 2 unique civilizations from different origin points in the universe ever encounter one and other though, for reasons pretty well outlined by other posters.

- other universes? Depends on what you mean by "other". If you are talking about "our universe exists as a bubble over here, and another might exist as a bubble over there", then absolutely nothing we currently know about the way our universe works would prevent others from exiting out there somewhere like that. If you are talking about "multiverse" theory, where "variant" universes are layered ontop of each other or the like, I don't see why that couldn't also be possible.

- Time travel is probably not possible, at least in the way typical sci-fi wants time travel to work. Like, you aren't going to just be able to pop back to 1824 and go for a stroll around London or anything, because to the best of our understanding of things, that "place" simply doesn't exist any more. Though if you had sufficiently powerful observation equipment and the ability to travel faster than light, you could attempt to WATCH ancient london by trying to catch the ancient emanations of it's existence that are out there in the universe right now (assuming they haven't been distorted too badly).

you don't need to believe in other universes when there is nearly irrefutable proof of it. Many worlds theory is a thing. It's just, due to it's nature, impossible to *completely* prove, but the odds are staggeringly high.

Meanwhile, psychics are low down on my priorities of being likely. Very low. Okay, impossibly so. ETs? It's more likely if including other galaxies and forms of life science just doesn't account for, but will we find something we can recognize in our own part of the galaxy? Probably fucking not. The universe is hostile and uncaring.

Time Travel? No. Time is immaterial.
    Last edited by Dastreus; 2021-10-09 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastreus View Post
    you don't need to believe in other universes when there is nearly irrefutable proof of it. Many worlds theory is a thing. It's just, due to it's nature, impossible to *completely* prove, but the odds are staggeringly high.
    There's literally no proof of multiple universes being the case. If we're talking about separate universes that in no way can interact with each other, it's impossible to prove whether that is true or false. It's analogous to brain-in-a-vat. If the universes can interact with one another, then what we call the multiverse becomes our new universe (in the mathematical sense that it's the space that contains all relevant objects of discussion), but there isn't any existing evidence of that being the case.

Many Worlds interpretation is just a frequentist's attempt to cope for the probabilities inherent in QM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamilk View Post
    There's literally no proof of multiple universes being the case. If we're talking about separate universes that in no way can interact with each other, it's impossible to prove whether that is true or false. It's analogous to brain-in-a-vat. If the universes can interact with one another, then what we call the multiverse becomes our new universe (in the mathematical sense that it's the space that contains all relevant objects of discussion), but there isn't any existing evidence of that being the case. Many Worlds interpretation is just a frequentist's attempt to cope for the probabilities inherent in QM.
    That presumes your opinion as fact..

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamilk View Post
    There's literally no proof of multiple universes being the case. If we're talking about separate universes that in no way can interact with each other, it's impossible to prove whether that is true or false. It's analogous to brain-in-a-vat. If the universes can interact with one another, then what we call the multiverse becomes our new universe (in the mathematical sense that it's the space that contains all relevant objects of discussion), but there isn't any existing evidence of that being the case.

Many Worlds interpretation is just a frequentist's attempt to cope for the probabilities inherent in QM.
    I did not posit many worlds as immutable fact, I said the likelihood is high. I am too lazy atm to look into it, but there's math out there that suggests it's pretty likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    That presumes your opinion as fact..
    Cool "no u" there.
    Personal opinion didn't come into any of my response. Interpretations of QM are inherently metaphysical and as such are outside the scope of science.

I'm just replying to someone saying that a specific interpretation is 100 percent true, it's gotta be cause it makes them giddy and glowing. The guy literally contradicted himself from one sentence to the next. "Irrefutable proof" and "can't completely prove it" do not mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastreus View Post
    I did not posit many worlds as immutable fact, I said the likelihood is high. I am too lazy atm to look into it, but there's math out there that suggests it's pretty likely.
    I've heard of "vibratory attunement" as one of several ideas that some sci-fi authors use.

I personally can't be dismissive of such things. Since I can't know what is impossible...and really, no one else can.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I'm sure many can't grasp the size of our own galaxy. And that we estimate 2 trillion galaxies is...mind blowing. That some have the presumption...nay, arrogance to presume to know what is possible and what is impossible with such certainty is equally mind blowing.
    If you were more educated about such things, you wouldn't claim that. You know that there are more H2O molecules in glass of water than there are stars in the observable universe yet you can claim with absolute certainty that one of those molecules is not sentient and doesn't have a little house with a finely mowed lawn somewhere in there. You can absolutely claim what is possible or likely and what isn't with even bigger numbers.