Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

why is there so much antipathy to california in the us?

why do people seem to hate california in the us? reading on various pages... people on twitch... so many ragging against california... why is it so disliked?

Some groups/types of people need a place to direct their fear and anger and their masters will direct that fear or hatred to a people or place to maintain and grow and expand that power.

0_o

...because it's one of the many boogeymen of American conservatives? Seems obvious.

Because it's one of the only nations that keeps the US economy up and running.

It is a bad place to live though if you're not middle or upper class.

In that sense it's a bit of a dystopia.
    - The One and Only, the Legendary, the Mighty - You might recognize me from the forum signatures of lesser mortals obsessed with me. -
    Vexing little man-babies and normies on the internet since before you were born.

Quote Originally Posted by Raspberry Lemon View Post
    why do people seem to hate california in the us? reading on various pages... people on twitch... so many ragging against california... why is it so disliked?
    It's the heart of the LEFT coast, aka Commifornia.
    /s
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

I'm not sure but I think there's a perception that CA tries too hard to export its culture to other places that don't necessarily want it.
    Optimism! (HumanProgress.org)

It's not disliked, most of the ragging is from uneducated ignorant Republican Trumpists.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I'm not sure but I think there's a perception that CA tries too hard to export its culture to other places that don't necessarily want it.
    Other places don't like Gay Marriage.
    Americans are the Chinese of the west. The main reason people tolerate them is because they are too big to ignore.

"Admit nothing, deny everything, launch counterattack." - Roger Stone (Trump's Friend, Ally, and Campaign Advisor)

Costs, many businesses are moving out, many people are moving out, so it's not attractive anymore, and if u can work from home why would u pay california rents?

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    Because of their leadership in most of the state, with the high taxes, which drives up the cost of living. And it will also depend on what part of California. Northern California, I have heard is like a different state.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Costs, many businesses are moving out, many people are moving out, so it's not attractive anymore, and if u can work from home why would u pay california rents?
    This...so much.
    But CA isn't alone. People are running from NY too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Because of their leadership in most of the state, with the high taxes, which drives up the cost of living. And it will also depend on what part of California. Northern California, I have heard is like a different state.
    ...wait. You actually think it's "high taxes" that's the reason cost of living is so high in CA?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    This...so much.
    But CA isn't alone. People are running from NY too.
    Yeah, but the fact that you can add NY and other metropolitan areas, means it’s not the hate for California.

The hate for California, is because millions voted against God Lord Trump... that’s about it... California is to Trump, as Russia was to Reagan.

- - - Updated - - -

It’s American culture... Hollywood pumps out American movies... Movies that glorify the US. This is the same argument that was used, when complaining about True Lies use of terrorists. Which is ironic...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Hate against your ex cause they are doing better now that your gone. (California was like Texas politically till the early 90s)
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

Quote Originally Posted by D Luniz View Post
    Hate against your ex cause they are doing better now that your gone. (California was like Texas politically till the early 90s)
    All my exes live in Texas...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    That's why I blew myself up in Tennessee?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

35-40% of CA votes republican the perception is entirely fiction made up by right wing media, 34% voted for Trump in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    That's why I blew myself up in Tennessee?
    I don’t think I’ve ever heard a country song about contortionist.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    35-40% of CA votes republican the perception is entirely fiction made up by right wing media, 34% voted for Trump in 2020.
    If you replace CA spreading it’s culture, with US spreading its culture... what does the resulting disdain sound like? Now imagine the same thing, but with critics wearing a turban...

Its always been envy.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by rmfAcc View Post
    It is a bad place to live though if you're not middle or upper class.
    California's a real big place, I don't think this generalization is legitimate. Living in the urban core of San Francisco as a working class person probably does suck, but that's not the whole of the state. Spending some time up in the northern, smaller town portion of California though, I got the distinct impression that it was about as nice as anywhere else for folks on below median incomes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Northern California, I have heard is like a different state.
    Yeah, as mentioned above, it doesn't feel all that similar to SoCal or even the Bay. I really, really dislike Los Angeles. Not because of any political reasons or cost of living - it just plain sucks being there. Getting around is awful, the infrastructure is terribly designed, LAX is one of the worst airports in the country, there's basically no way to walk or bike anywhere. The place just sucks for normal people. I guess the food is good anyway.

On the flip side, land in Sacramento and start driving north and you're basically in farm country pretty quickly, dotted with occasional towns. Not really the sorts of places I'd personally be inclined to live, but the appeal is obvious.

On the flip side of that, everyone tells me San Diego is fantastic, but I've never been. The breweries are certainly excellent there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    ...wait. You actually think it's "high taxes" that's the reason cost of living is so high in CA?
    This is certainly part of the reason if you're relatively high income. As soon as you hit middle class brackets, you're paying 9.3% income tax. California isn't the highest tax state overall, but the individual income tax burden is pretty steep. Techies that move to Austin certainly cite the difference in state income taxes as part of the equation.

Of course, NIMBY housing policies and actual geographic limitations drive the cost of living differences much more than taxes.

They hate us cause they ain't us.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Still here and still posting
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing