Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Uther is actually a villain

Let's count the ways...

In the culling of stratholme he disobey his prince, so on top of insubordination - he is cruel, condemning all these people to eternity of undeath instead of the quick release to the afterlife.

He is also Pridfull, not acknowledging the truth in Arthas actions (to that point) mainly because he is his student and doesn't see him as superior to him as a paladin.

He his furious and filled with vengeance for the murder of king teranas, and his own death by the hands of Arthas.
    He can not ascend because he's so childly stuck on what Arthas did to him. He then cheats his way to asscention - and betray the kyrian covanent who gave him a chance in the afterlife.

Lastly, he lacks compation. He refuse to acknowledge that Arthas was first of all - his responsibility as his mentor. His failure. He ignores the jailer in the helm guiding Arthas deeds. He tosses a helpless Soul to the maw, denying it its right. To be judged - and calls it 'justice', not vengeance as it is whats it is. That also makes him a hypocrite.

Gotta say, I never cared much for Uther, but SL made him even worse on my list. Arthas is a villain, mostly influenced and manipulated by powers beyond his understanding. Uther is a Villain on his own with no one to blame. Same with Xera and Yrel, you can still yield the light and be a horrible person.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not a Villain - an Antagonist. He wasn't being cruel by "condemning" the citizens of Stratholme, he was too weak to cull himself.

It wasn't Pride that kept him ignorant of Arthas' attitude, it was love.

He can't ascend because his soul is damaged. It's a big part of the plot - he's incapable of moving on.

Yes, it was a mistake to rob Arthas of the normal afterlife process, but that doesn't make him villainous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Not a Villain - an Antagonist. He wasn't being cruel by "condemning" the citizens of Stratholme, he was too weak to cull himself.

It wasn't Pride that kept him ignorant of Arthas' attitude, it was love.

He can't ascend because his soul is damaged. It's a big part of the plot - he's incapable of moving on.

Yes, it was a mistake to rob Arthas of the normal afterlife process, but that doesn't make him villainous.
    Agree 100%.

Uther's greatest flaw was his weakness. He couldn't cull Stratholme, he couldn't stop Arthas, and now he cannot move on. He's a good person but he's always so, so frail.

Bad troll, very bad. Shoo-shoo.

On topic - you wrong on every aspect.
    He was not arthas's subordinate.
    He was not prideful at that time. He come to bastion, where prideful dont go.
    He didn't cheat his wings, Devos give him that.
    Arthas was not his creation, he tried as he can to raise him as good paladin and literally son. His deeds are his own.
    Only trully his misdeed was throwing Arthas into the Maw, before Arbiter. And that is topic of his quests at Bastion covenant campaign.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by leorana View Post
    In the culling of stratholme he disobey his prince, so on top of insubordination.
    As Uther tells Arthas, he may be his Prince, but Uther is still his superior as a Paladin. Uther answers directly to Arthas' father, and Arthas' father specifically put Arthas UNDER Uther's command. Arthas had no authority over him.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    There is a difference between being an antagonist and a villain.

Uther wasn't going to cull the citizens as they had yet to turn. He found it morally objectionable to kill them and acted as such. Arthas was a Prince and Uther loyalty was to the King, not the Prince. The Prince did not have power to order Uther to do anything.

Uther loved Arthas similar to a father loving a son. It is hard to see the flaws in someone you care for.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Uther came to Bastion tainted by the maw. That taint allowed him to unwittingly corrupt Devos. Devos, having the maw's power cast doubt in her mind, neglected her duty---Arthas was definitely going to Revendreth, not the Maw. She broke her oath and helped Uther, and thus became fully corrupted.

Uther isn't a truly ascended Kyrian. He still has his beard and his "self". I'd love to see him cast to Revendreth once this is over. A few eons of repentance would do him well.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorimar View Post
    who is Uter?
    You don't know about Uter te Ligtbringer? Same.

7+ Year Old Account
    Isn't Uter the fat German kid from the Simpsons?

Funny logic, he couldnt kill all those innocent people in Stratholme so he is a villian.
    And yeah sure he did throw Arthas to the maw, but Arthas was in no way a helpless Soul, sure it was Arthas by name but not much of Arthas as a person left.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelangel View Post
    Uther came to Bastion tainted by the maw.
    I wonder why the Arbiter (who sees everything about a mortal's life in an instant) didn't intervene in some way? Do such things not concern the Arbiter?

Na, es not a bad guy, in fact es just trying to serve as the rigteousness of justice in case you didn't know.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Uther failed a bunch at Prot and then respecced Ret. Hardly villainous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

Imagine if we have to kill Uther in a raid so we can free Garrosh x)

Well, I think the most glaring issue is him throwing Arthas straight into the Maw, skipping the Arbiter's judgement. In that regard he's no better than the Jailer and he directly broke the main principle of the Kyrian, which is to not let your mortal life affect your duty in ferrying the souls. For all we know, he might be the first (and the last) Kyrian to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marine1 View Post
    I wonder why the Arbiter (who sees everything about a mortal's life in an instant) didn't intervene in some way? Do such things not concern the Arbiter?
    The plot holes and logic errors just keep piling up with SL. Almost like the writers threw something together and don't give a damn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

Quote Originally Posted by Feanoro View Post
    The plot holes and logic errors just keep piling up with SL. Almost like the writers threw something together and don't give a damn.
    Ah yes, it must be a plot hole 100%. Why bother even trying to think it's not when it's much lazier to not think at all?
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

You're wrong. Uther is an Alliance character, he's a good guy.... This is basic stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love how people who are only privy to the first chapter or two of a story are already crying about its "plot holes".

You know literally nothing about storytelling. When people like you complain, it's a sign that things were done correctly.