Poll: What class most needs a complete overhaul?

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

What class needs a complete overhaul?

I'm someone who likes to play a lot of classes to keep the game interesting, but I can't help but notice some classes feel ancient compared to others. Some are just downright bad mechanically. Some don't really connect well to the Warcraft lore thematically.

So in the thread list your top 3-5 classes that need to be completely redesigned. Put specs if you want to be more specific. Then for the poll just put your top class overall that needs the most work.

Mine:
    1. Hunter (survival worst spec in the game. wheres dark ranger? rexxar DW bm spec?)
    2. Rogue (feels ancient compared to DH/Monk)
    3. Warrior (specs need more differentiation... isn't arms to supposed to be a weapon master? doesn't feel like it)

These three just feel outdated to me.
    Last edited by ro9ue; 2020-12-23 at 06:57 PM.

Agree on the warrior... it's just in a bad spot atm.

Warrior is probably the closest where I'd change quite a bit in all 3 specs, for most others I would probably focus on 1 or 2 specs that need some overhauls. But then there are people who love each of those.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    3. Warrior (specs need more differentiation... isn't arms to supposed to be a weapon master? doesn't feel like it)
    Arms warrior (My main for 11 Years now) is fine, i guess. I just would give them Cleave Baseline, Lower DMG-Buff/Duration/CD of Colossusmash (like 15-20% instead of 30% more DMG, 6 then 10 secs Duration and 20 then 45 sec CD), give them back old reckleness like (like 100% crit chance for the next 3 Spells) back. But most important: Give me fcking Stun back on my Charge!

This will never come back, but Stancedance was so much in PvP. With the old Utility like Shieldslam has a purge it was just fun to go "defensive", so you can to offensive stuff, like purging Hots/Buffs.

But Overall SL Arms is the best since WoD. It was a clunky/bad/unfun spec in WoD/Legion/Bfa

Fury isnt fun for me for years now, the best Fury is the Catafury. All Furys after Cata was... okay, and after the reworke with carnage i just dislike fury completly. Tanking is mostly boring, but i enjoy it as a Brewmaster... But Prot Warrior feels so boring/bad, dunno why. He just feel not Impactfull. I press buttons but it feels like they doing nothing. As a brewmaster its just a good feeling to purge your stagger (miss the WoD brewmaster with 100% Purifying brew ) or heal myself with the yellow bubbles. Prot warrior is like "just spam 1 + 2, sometimes use mitigation and press 3 when its highlighted" Booooring
    Last edited by saixilein; 2020-12-23 at 07:38 PM.

1: Warlock
    2: Rogue
    3: Death Knight

Unholy and Frost for me, I don't really play blood so I can't say anything about it but unholy is a complete mess of a spec.
    The direction of this spec is just all over the place and I would really like to see the build/pop wound mechanic gone.

Rogue feels outdated as hell. Compared with monks and demon hunters rogue feels like the prototype 0.5 version of the class, and Monk the 1.5 version and DH the 2.0 version. Paladin even have the same "combo point" design to some degree. totally remove outlaw and anything that has to do with pirates please.

Warlock... wow. Yeah this is just a tragedy at this point.

Monk! They barely touched us for any of the specs this exp, it's beyond boring now to be so neglected.
    As a MW, just give me anything to make me a contender for a raidspot. How do I rival the FOTM shamans (best CDs, best HPS & basically no mana issues), Absorb-Discos and Devo-Pallies that just can keep healing forever?
    People rather stack 4 shammies than letting a MW snag one spot and I can't blame them. Halp!

I don't think any CLASS needs a complete overhaul, but I do think we could do with some fundamental spec changes.

I'd especially like to see more tank specs, for various reasons. Pure DPS classes in particular could fairly easily accommodate a tank spec to replace one of their three DPS specs.

Survival Hunter could easily be turned into a tank (I mean it's literally called SURVIVAL after all ). Bombs and stuff could remain, and just be modified into tank abilities. Come up with an interesting defensive mechanic, and you're golden. Flavor is easy to do, just lean on the animal theme and do Aspect of the Clefthoof or whatever.

Demonology Warlock as a tank is something I'd personally LOVE to see. Give them an ability that effectively swaps the player control to the pet, turning the "player" into a pet. That way you can easily maintain the pet fantasy, but not worry about issues with movement etc. because you'd be in direct control. Tons of options there, including using other summoned demons for defensive purposes (taking hits for you, sharing damage, etc.) to maintain the spec fantasy.

I'd probably also switch Outlaw Rogue to a tanking spec. The pirate theme can easily stay, and just be retooled into the tough scoundrel who just won't die. Lots of CC options, and a bag of tricks of all sorts for defensive purposes - there's already a lot of familiar names there that could support that flavor, like Riposte, Evasion, Smoke Bomb, etc. all of which have defensive connotations. That would have the added benefit of freeing up a more defined role for Subtlety, so you could leave Assassination as the poison/bleed DoT spec and have Subtlety as the direct damage/burst spec.

Mage would be the hardest of the pure DPS classes to redesign. I could see both Arcane or Frost fill a tanking role, but I'd probably lean towards Frost because it has an inherent control theme and some interesting defensive flavor with ice-based barriers/shields. This could give interesting options to a tank with controlling mob movement, while retaining the idea of a tough target covered in layers of ice. In fact, some sort of frozen shell could be the main defensive mechanic, trying to maintain a number of these shell stacks as a regular rotation. Iconic mage abilities like Mirror Image could be repurposed as defensive cooldowns. Much like the Rogue, this could solidify the niches of the two other specs, with Fire being DoT/AoE based and Arcane being bursty.

Definitely not hunter.

Feral need a change by a long shot, i sincerely don't see a class that needs a more overhaul than feral

10+ Year Old Account
    Warrior for me. I mained it from vanilla to WoD. It’s felt worse every expansion after MoP where it’s peak for me was in Wrath. I miss rage the way it used to be for one. I miss heroic strike. I miss stance dancing being a key component of being a good warrior. Charge and intercept being different.

It’s funny because I never realized how much I missed these aspects of warrior until Classic came out. I just hate warrior today. The other class I’d like to see revamped is Hunter. I love the idea of a melee spec as survival but I’ve never enjoyed the way it plays.

WW Monk

the spec has been on a steady lifesupport since the botched redesign in Legion, I know NOONE plays this spec besides me and the other 16 players, but it's seriously been on a downhill since Legion and they haven't touched it since, just the occasional dusting when a new expac comed around

Quote Originally Posted by Crutos View Post
    Unholy and Frost for me, I don't really play blood so I can't say anything about it but unholy is a complete mess of a spec.
    The direction of this spec is just all over the place and I would really like to see the build/pop wound mechanic gone.
    Agreed. Both DD specs for Death Knight feel so uninspired and in the case of UH also convoluted. The class is a boring mess with no interesting features.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fistfighter View Post
    WW Monk

the spec has been on a steady lifesupport since the botched redesign in Legion, I know NOONE plays this spec besides me and the other 16 players, but it's seriously been on a downhill since Legion and they haven't touched it since, just the occasional dusting when a new expac comed around
    Also this. Pre-Legion WW was such a fun and unique spec. Now it's an absolute disaster.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaelix1 View Post
    Feral need a change by a long shot, i sincerely don't see a class that needs a more overhaul than feral
    What are you even talking about? Feral has been in a great spot both mechanically AND preformance-wise ever since they added Primal Wrath, solving Feral's long-time issue of poor AoE preformance. Then they went and upped the power of Berserk significantly, gave us Convoke for extreme single-target burst, and even re-added Heart of the Wild giving Feral powerful utility on top of all the other utility Feral brings.

As you can't add anything besides "FERAL CHANGE NAO", I feel you either A) Don't even play Feral, B) Get repeatedly killed in PvP by Feral's Convoke, or C) should be playing some other game besides WoW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

Quote Originally Posted by Raugnaut View Post
    What are you even talking about? Feral has been in a great spot both mechanically AND preformance-wise ever since they added Primal Wrath, solving Feral's long-time issue of poor AoE preformance. Then they went and upped the power of Berserk significantly, gave us Convoke for extreme single-target burst, and even re-added Heart of the Wild giving Feral powerful utility on top of all the other utility Feral brings.

As you can't add anything besides "FERAL CHANGE NAO", I feel you either A) Don't even play Feral, B) Get repeatedly killed in PvP by Feral's Convoke, or C) should be playing some other game besides WoW.
    Chill champ, I do play feral don't jump to stupid conclusions, the only thing that makes feral good right now is convoke which will be gone next expansion, the things you add don't change the fact that feral need a overhaul and again don't fucking jump to conclusions and be so rude when i didn't even talk with you

Warrior, outdated class a s whole, there are far better physical damage class ingame.

Warrior

Rework prot to a berserker tank. No shield, two hander, lots of charges and shouts to generate threat/debuffs.

Arms should be a weapons master like someone else mentioned. Two handers/polearms and abilities that hint more at "surgical strikes" instead of massive blows.

Leave fury as dual wield but it's only one-handers. But add flails as a weapon class. Adds to the fun of whirlwind if you know it's just a mass of chains and death.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaelix1 View Post
    Chill champ, I do play feral don't jump to stupid conclusions, the only thing that makes feral good right now is convoke which will be gone next expansion, the things you add don't change the fact that feral need a overhaul and again don't fucking jump to conclusions and be so rude when i didn't even talk with you
    Convoke is icing on Feral's cake. Feral literally has everything you'd want in a melee - Utility, AoE damage, ST sustain, ST burst, mobility, defensive. Hell, if I recall, Ferals basically one of the top specs for Raiding right now.

In PvP, Feral is godly at low rank where you just push a button and everything dies, and with the combination of Feral's self-healing, extreme kiting capabilities, two defensives, AND their extensive CC kit (Cyclone, Roots, Maim, Vortex or Roar), Feral is a SOLID contender at high ranks - It might not be RMP, but it's up there for sure.

So when you come in a discussion board, blantantly say that Feral is complete garbage and it's current gameplay needs to be tossed with an entirely new revamp without going into detail, expect other posters to call you out on your complete BS
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

Whats this rogue outdated nonsense I read? I still mutilate your face with 1 button, don't forget

Quote Originally Posted by Crutos View Post
    1: Warlock
    2: Rogue
    3: Death Knight

Rogue feels outdated as hell. Compared with monks and demon hunters rogue feels like the prototype 0.5 version of the class, and Monk the 1.5 version and DH the 2.0 version. Paladin even have the same "combo point" design to some degree. totally remove outlaw and anything that has to do with pirates please.

Warlock... wow. Yeah this is just a tragedy at this point.
    You lost me at removing the pirate stuff. I like it, so long as it's contained to Outlaw.

More than anything, we need a class design philosophy where the devs are willing to compromise with the players and create classes with clearly defined strengths, weaknesses, and spec flavors that both groups can mostly enjoy. Look what happened in Legion with the last class overhaul that they did largely ignoring player feedback.
    "Warlocks are the class that gives

we give all our spells and abilities to other classes"

- Bamboozer, from the Official WoW Warlock Forum