View Poll Results: Do you think Thrall and Jaina would have made a good couple?

Voters
27. This poll is closed
  • Yes, they would have

8 29.63%
  • No, they wouldn't have

14 51.85%
  • Other / I'm not sure / It's complicated

5 18.52%

Would Thrall and Jaina have made a good or popular couple? Why or why not?

Thrall and Jaina were close friends from the Warcraft series; they worked well together, cooperating to avert or help end wars between their two factions. The relationship they shared was special, even unique, though all speculation of their mutual romance was quickly ended by Cataclysm, with the introduction of Aggra and her union with Thrall at Mount Hyjal. But the point remains -- what if Aggra had never met Thrall? Or what if Thrall and Jaina had fallen deeply in love with each other? Would their union have been accepted? By most of the Alliance and the Horde? Could it have worked out or lasted? Could it have brought the two factions and their conflict to an end?

She smiled up at him warmly, as another fair-haired human girl had in the not-so-distant past, then Jaina returned to her small boat. Still, Thrall thought as he gave the dinghy a good shove, he saw a little furrow in her forehead that told him she was still troubled. So was he. He folded his arms and watched the water take her back toward her home. Eitrigg came quietly down to join his warchief.

“It is a pity,” Eitrigg said, apropos of apparently nothing. “What is?” asked Thrall.

“That she is not an orc,” Eitrigg said. “Strong and smart and greathearted. A leader all on her own. She would bear strong sons and brave daughters. A fine mate she could make someone someday, if she so chose. A pity she is not an orc, and so cannot be yours.”

Thrall couldn’t help it. He threw back his head and laughed loudly, startling some crows resting in a nearby tree into cawing angrily and flapping away in a flurry of black wings to a quieter perch. “We are coming off wars with the Lich King and nightmares themselves,” Thrall said. “Our people are starving, thirsting, and reverting to barbarism. The king of Stormwind thinks me a brute, and the elements turn deaf ears to my pleas for understanding. And you speak of mates and children?”

The old orc was completely unruffled. “What better time? Thrall, everything is unsettled now. Including your place as warchief of the Horde. You have no mate, no child, no one to carry on your blood if you were suddenly to join the ancestors. You have not even seemed interested in such a thing.”
    “I have always been able to listen when others do not agree. Look at the meetings I have with Jaina! She doesn’t always agree with me, and she does not curb her tongue.”

Aggra snorted. “A human female. What does she know about telling harsh things to an orc? Jaina Proudmoore is no threat, no challenge to you.” She frowned, looking thoughtful. “Neither was your Taretha.”

“Of course she was no challenge. She was my friend!” Thrall was starting to become angrier now that she had dragged Taretha Foxton into this strange fight she seemed determined to have with him. A human girl, Taretha had befriended him when she was a mere child; as an adult, she had found a way to help him escape his life as a gladiator, a slave of the human Lord Aedelas Blackmoore. She had paid for that deed with her life. “Few in this world have sacrificed as much for me, and she was a human!”

“Perhaps that is your problem, Go’el, and a problem others have with you. The most important females in your life have been human.”

His eyes narrowed. “You will hold your tongue.”

“Ah, and yet again you show me the truth of what I say: you will not hear disagreement. You would silence me rather than listen to me!”

There was truth in the statement, and it stung. With difficulty, Thrall took a deep breath and tried to rein in his anger.

“Then tell me: What do you mean?”

“I have only been in Azeroth a short while, and already I have heard the rumors. They outrage me to my core, and surely they should outrage you as well. Gossip pairs you and Jaina, or even you and Taretha, depending on the brew on tap, it seems.” Her voice dripped anger and disgust—at him or at the rumors, Thrall wasn’t sure and didn’t care.

“You tread on dangerous ground, Aggra,” he growled. “Jaina Proudmoore is a strong, brave, intelligent woman who has risked her life to help me. Taretha Foxton was the same—only she lost her life. I will not stand by and hear your bigoted slurs against them simply because they were not born orcs!”

He had advanced on her now, his face only inches from hers. She did not flinch, merely raised an eyebrow.

“You do not listen well, Go’el. I repeated rumors. I did not say I believed them. Nor did I say anything against either female other than they did not know how to criticize an orc. If anything, they have shown me that humans are capable of inspiring respect. But they are not orcs, Thrall, and you are not a human, and you do not know how to handle being challenged by a female of your own race. Or perhaps by anyone.”

“I cannot believe I am hearing this!”

“I cannot, either, because until this moment, you have not listened!” Both their voices were rising, and Thrall knew that the little shelters offered no barriers to others’ ability to hear their argument. Still Aggra pressed on.

“You have been able to hide behind the mantle of warchief. And that is why you are finding it so hard to free yourself of it now.” She pressed her face even closer to his and hissed, “You bear the name of a slave, because you are a thrall to the Horde. A slave to what you think is duty. And you use that duty as a shield—a barrier between you and the dark places, between you and guilt, and fear, and second-guessing. And truly belonging to yourself—or to anyone else. You always plan ahead, and you do not take time to think about how far you have come, the amazing gift that your life has been. You strategize for tomorrow, but what about now? This moment … the little things …?”

She softened, her eyes growing kind instead of angry, and with surprising gentleness reached for his hand. “What about this strong hand in yours?”
    Last edited by OwenBurton; 2020-12-29 at 09:47 PM.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OwenBurton View Post
    Thrall and Jaina were close friends from the Warcraft series; they worked well together, cooperating to avert or help end wars between their two factions. The relationship they shared was special, even unique, though all speculation of their mutual romance was quickly ended by Cataclysm, with the introduction of Aggra and her union with Thrall at Mount Hyjal. But the point remains -- what if Aggra had never met Thrall? Or what if Thrall and Jaina had fallen deeply in love with each other? Would their union have been accepted? By most of the Alliance and the Horde? Could it have worked out or lasted? Could it have brought the two factions and their conflict to an end?
    Still a better love story than Twilight.

Jaina x Thrall could have been great. Would their half-orc child be a mage or a shaman?

Quote Originally Posted by Sagenod View Post

Jaina x Thrall could have been great. Would their half-orc child be a mage or a shaman?
    Perhaps they could be the first mage-shaman! Most orcs would probably not accept Jaina though -- even before Theramore, she was not universally liked, Garrosh and his followers loathed her, for example, he claimed she "emasculated" the orcs with her soft words of peace or something
    "You see, there is balance in all things. Wisdom etched in our very fur: Black and white. Darkness and light. When the last emperor hid our land from the rest of the world, he also preserved...our ancient enemy, the mantid. So it is with your Alliance and your Horde. They are not strong despite one another; they are strong BECAUSE of one another. You mistake your greatest strength for weakness. Do you see this?"

Quote Originally Posted by Sagenod View Post

Don't continue that train of thought on a half-orc mage shaman...
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathanyel View Post
    Don't continue that train of thought on a half-orc mage shaman...
    *Me'dan cackles in the background*

*vomits*

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    I'm 100% sure that the original plan was, indeed, for Thrall and Jaina to become a couple. But things change...

EDIT: Urgh that part from Cataclysm with Aggra is still as terrible today as it was when it was written a decade or so ago.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

I really don't understand the point of such threads...let's just get the obvious out of the way: thrall's dick is the thickness of jaina's forearm, and would kill her if they tried to fuck. This is like those women who talk about marrying their horses and making love to them.

Now for the important part: can we stop travestising Warcraft with this kind of shit? Horse dick /human woman, gay, lesbian, transgender ghosts?

For fuck's sake do you know why this kind of shit doesn't exist in the Warhammer universe? Cause people don't want to see this kind of shit in the Warhammer universe. Neither in Warcraft. There's a reason why this game has declined declined declined in people's eyes in terms of story and lore, because it's been travestising everything Warcraft stands for.

You want transgender horse dick human gay lesbian relationships? Go play the last of us 2. Leave Warcraft alone.
    Last edited by brapbrap2021; 2021-01-02 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brapbrap2021 View Post
    For fuck's sake do you know why this kind of shit doesn't exist in the Warhammer universe?
    What the hell is Sigvald then.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    What the hell is Sigvald then.
    it's the son of a succubi man...those are exceptions in every universe, they're the GROTESQUE, not the common which is supposed to make sense

I really don't understand the point of such threads...let's just get the obvious out of the way: thrall's dick is the thickness of jaina's forearm, and would kill her if they tried to fuck.
    First off, sex isn't everything in a relationship. But I digress, after all, you were cherry-picking moot points.

Garona originally was half Orc, half Human, presumably from a male Orc raping female Human. That alone implies a certain non-lethal compatibility.

Additionally, there are the Kul Tiran "monster hunters" (read: Drust blood) which are larger than Orcs - even if there is no direct word on relationships between those and "regular" KT Humans, it is very likely, and of course their existence requires previous interbreeding between Humans and their gigantic Drust cousins.
    You also apply human proportions to an alien race. While it is likely a humanoid Fantasy race would have equivalent proportions, it's not guaranteed.

Either way, even if Blizzard were to acknowledge the sexual aspect of mixed-race offspring, such issues would be waived. It's Fantasy after all, if all else fails, magic will fix it.

But to your core argument, I won't quote it, that (in this case literal) interracial sex between consenting sentient beings is equal to bestiality, a human/sentient having sex with an animal (broad term, however the key is that this is rape, as the animal cannot consent to the same extent as the (adult) person)
    Both sides of an interspecies couple can give consent, I guess humans have a problem understanding that because we don't know of any other species of our level of sentience/intelligence. But eventually, we'll meet either aliens that look "sexy enough" to us, or human populations on other worlds evolve sufficiently in body shape so that they're "different" from what we see as human, and inescapably, relations between Terrans and those Extraterrestrials will find first tentative, than wide-spread acceptance, just like, well, the non-heteronormative relations we see in our age, which you (of course) also, for bigot measure, lump into that comparison to beastiality.
    I don't even need to address the latter other than pointing it out.

Anyway, let's maybe take your Warhammer example, disclaimer I know next to nothing about this: both settings are way older than Warcraft, and are thus kinda more conservative in storytelling. But even here, a quick google shows several mentions of e.g. gay characters, with one reply emphasizing that the novels rarely mention relationships at all anyway, even the clerical-fascist Empire of 40k seems to be more interested in your service than with whom you exchange fluids during your time off.

And that's ok for Warhammer, as it's mostly aims to be a setting for the tabletop and other games, it focuses more on the world than individuals. But Warcraft, inspired as it was by WH, has strayed from that as early as Tides of Darkness, opting for a story that's driven by more characters than just a handful of leaders/commanders.
    In that, it has provided a multitude of characters - some of which happen to be non-heterosexual. And every time it was merely mentioned in dialogue etc., it wasn't even a story focus. I can admit that on the other hand, third-party writers have focused heavily on this, which may be the source of your sentiment of "ugh, they're stuffing this down our throat!", but I'd say that the controversy was basically fueled by those that couldn't look past some secondary characters sometimes not being heteronormative, even if, more often than not, they were unlikely to even see that character ingame.

PS: don't worry, you didn't "trigger" me, I merely love picking apart such "well-thought-out" posts, and I had to wait for the bus anyway.
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathanyel View Post
    First off, sex isn't everything in a relationship. But I digress, after all, you were cherry-picking moot points.

Garona originally was half Orc, half Human, presumably from a male Orc raping female Human. That alone implies a certain non-lethal compatibility.

Additionally, there are the Kul Tiran "monster hunters" (read: Drust blood) which are larger than Orcs - even if there is no direct word on relationships between those and "regular" KT Humans, it is very likely, and of course their existence requires previous interbreeding between Humans and their gigantic Drust cousins.
    You also apply human proportions to an alien race. While it is likely a humanoid Fantasy race would have equivalent proportions, it's not guaranteed.

Either way, even if Blizzard were to acknowledge the sexual aspect of mixed-race offspring, such issues would be waived. It's Fantasy after all, if all else fails, magic will fix it.

But to your core argument, I won't quote it, that (in this case literal) interracial sex between consenting sentient beings is equal to bestiality, a human/sentient having sex with an animal (broad term, however the key is that this is rape, as the animal cannot consent to the same extent as the (adult) person)
    Both sides of an interspecies couple can give consent, I guess humans have a problem understanding that because we don't know of any other species of our level of sentience/intelligence. But eventually, we'll meet either aliens that look "sexy enough" to us, or human populations on other worlds evolve sufficiently in body shape so that they're "different" from what we see as human, and inescapably, relations between Terrans and those Extraterrestrials will find first tentative, than wide-spread acceptance, just like, well, the non-heteronormative relations we see in our age, which you (of course) also, for bigot measure, lump into that comparison to beastiality.
    I don't even need to address the latter other than pointing it out.

Anyway, let's maybe take your Warhammer example, disclaimer I know next to nothing about this: both settings are way older than Warcraft, and are thus kinda more conservative in storytelling. But even here, a quick google shows several mentions of e.g. , with one reply emphasizing that the novels rarely mention relationships at all anyway, even the clerical-fascist Empire of 40k seems to be more interested in your service than with whom you exchange fluids during your time off.

And that's ok for Warhammer, as it's mostly aims to be a setting for the tabletop and other games, it focuses more on the world than individuals. But Warcraft, inspired as it was by WH, has strayed from that as early as Tides of Darkness, opting for a story that's driven by more characters than just a handful of leaders/commanders.
    In that, it has provided a multitude of characters - some of which happen to be non-heterosexual. And every time it was merely mentioned in dialogue etc., it wasn't even a story focus. I can admit that on the other hand, third-party writers have focused heavily on this, which may be the source of your sentiment of "ugh, they're stuffing this down our throat!", but I'd say that the controversy was basically fueled by those that couldn't look past some secondary characters sometimes not being heteronormative, even if, more often than not, they were unlikely to even see that character ingame.

PS: don't worry, you didn't "trigger" me, I merely love picking apart such "well-thought-out" posts, and I had to wait for the bus anyway.
    i don't worry about what any of you think nor feel, that's 1, and two, why would you be "triggered" by what i posted, whatever the fuck "triggered", like "toxic", even means these days

3+ Year Old Account
    I really don't understand the point of such threads...let's just get the obvious out of the way: thrall's dick is the thickness of jaina's forearm, and would kill her if they tried to fuck. This is like those women who talk about marrying their horses and making love to them.

Now for the important part: can we stop travestising Warcraft with this kind of shit? Horse dick /human woman, gay, lesbian, transgender ghosts?

For fuck's sake do you know why this kind of shit doesn't exist in the Warhammer universe? Cause people don't want to see this kind of shit in the Warhammer universe. Neither in Warcraft. There's a reason why this game has declined declined declined in people's eyes in terms of story and lore, because it's been travestising everything Warcraft stands for.

You want transgender horse dick human gay lesbian relationships? Go play the last of us 2. Leave Warcraft alone.
    And human babies are usually larger than an adult human forearm. Not trying to engage in the sexual discussion but considering the elasticity of the female reproductive organs, the first part of your post is pretty dumb.

Why does sexuality play such an important role in the game for you? Most of us aren't here for that reason and thus we don't care who's sleeping with who. Warcraft is not made better or worse by sexuality.

Edit: Also, what the fuck does Warcraft stand for? It doesn't stand for heterosexuality, homosexuality, bestiality or interracial relationships. It is a fantasy universe that has nothing to do with sexuality at its base. Such an asinine, toxic mentality to have. Go home.

- - - Updated - - -

it's the son of a succubi man...those are exceptions in every universe, they're the GROTESQUE, not the common which is supposed to make sense
    And what sexually "grotesque" characters are you referring to in Warcraft? They are certainly not common.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lothal View Post
    He'd be a sage
    Hmm... Yes. A nodding one, even.
    Last edited by Sagenod; 2021-01-02 at 07:30 PM.