Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    "Champion!" -- BfA
    "Maaaaaw Walka!" -- SL
    "Hero!" ~Legion

', for now'. - at least half of clear x area WQ.

I remember when reading dawn of the aspects I almost stopped if they used the word maw one more time to describe a mouth. They legit used it almost 40 times I bet

Quote Originally Posted by Highlord Hanibuhl View Post
    I hate it when the dialogue balloon says my name, but the voice acting says 'Hero' or 'Champion'.
    Just get the dialogue to say that too... I know saying a name is impossible.. but I feel really disconnected when I see my name but hear something else.
    Yeah I'm with you on that one, would rather they just have the text match the dialogue.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

10+ Year Old Account
    Every time an overpowered boss sends a crappy goon to end us because he has to "take care of other business".

Also "mortal". If we are so mortal, how come we are still alive, and the ones who say that are usually killed soon after?

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    again changed does not explain "how did they change him? in what process" corruption easily does that.
    and true, perverted can mean the same seomtimes, but not all the time, and funny thing is they did use both perverted and changed many times, but corruption is the easiest, especially since it is the most fitting.
    The linguistic explanation is that perfect synonyms are an utopia and, if any, they are found in extremely reduced quantity (like 1 or 2 in a few languages).

Such fabled examples often exist in specialized language, like vermifuge and anthelmintic, which both indicate an agent capable of destroying or expelling parasitic worms. This is largely due to the fact that such words are rarely used outside of scientific contexts and thus a speaker community cannot usually polarize them towards diastratic/diaphasic changes. If I thought long and hard, I could probably produce maybe one other example of that in the Eglish language, two on a good day, but it would be a stretch.

All the rest are imperfect synonyms (like "desecrated" and "corrupted") and contextual synonyms (like "changed" and "corrupted").

Admittedly though they could get more creative with it and provide different words for the same concept. But what purpose would it serve? Repetition reinforces the understanding of meaning, and it's a linguistic device as old as Beowulf and the epic poem.

Sorry for the linguistic rant, I was in a talkative mood
    Last edited by Lord Pebbleton; 2020-12-31 at 02:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Any time someone calls me ''Champion'', ''Maw Walker'', or ''Mortal''... Fuck off!

I liked it in MoP when Chen refered to us as ''My friend here'', or ''This one''. It felt better... I dislike being this SUPER IMPORTANT character.
    Hariuha laþu laukar gakar alu ole lule laukar

Quote Originally Posted by Nordheim View Post
    Any time someone calls me ''Champion'', ''Maw Walker'', or ''Mortal''... Fuck off!

I liked it in MoP when Chen refered to us as ''My friend here'', or ''This one''. It felt better... I dislike being this SUPER IMPORTANT character.
    well then stop doing SUPER IMPORTANT things
    A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire
    winning
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

What I can gather from this thread is that some people around here have too much free time in their hands.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Can you assistance us!?
    Can you cooperation us!?
    We need your cooperation here!

No you are just bad at writing, especially since help is used a fair bit too. And assistance is used when it fits.
    I wouldn't talk about others being bad at writing if something as basic about language as nouns having equivalent verbs eludes you. "Can you assist us." Wow, that was an unexpected result. I needed to hijack the computing power of all computers of the world for an hour to achieve it, but it was totally worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    All our enemies using "Mortal" as its a racial slur or something.
    Which gets particularly baffling if you're a Forsaken. Especially in Maldraxxus. Come on dudes, I look just like some of you. The best part is that for some reason they see no such distinction in regards to Kel'thuzad, who also is an undead of Azerothian origin.

have you lot really run your complaint jars so fucking dry that you have to complain about blizzard not reinventing the english language and speech patterns? No blizzard cannot somehow get their voice actors to record voice lines to say your characters name, no blizzard cannot invent new words for the english language, no blizzard cannot change the words of grammar to suddenly make words with very different meanings instantly interchangeable, get over yourself, get off your armchair and maybe better your own education.
    the best part is the people literally not even actually complaining about wow, but really complaining about the english language, but they just pin it on blizzard.
    "Blizzard why do you use the word corruption so much, just invent a new word for corruption duh!"

I mean im sure "The old gods filled the planet they inhabitated with... dishonesty...."
    has just as much ring to it!
    No, the best part is - to use the very word you yourself invoked - the dishonesty. Specifically, your dishonesty. Which is beyond blatant. Because absolutely fuck all has been said that would even remotely indicate that poor, innocent and oppressed Blizzard kami-sama that you feel the need to defend at every opportunity has to "invent new words". Speaking of which, if any jars have run dry here, it's the jar of your desperate, convoluted defenses of Blizzard.

Because take a look at the example of corruption that you're harping on here. Let's start with the fact that you're not even using the right meaning of the word "corruption" in this context. Or that, as @Loveliest pointed out @Grubenwolf wasn't even complaining about repetition of the word per se there, but the repetition of corruption as a plot device in Warcraft.

Moving on to strictly word aspect of it, Grubenwolf used both the noun and adjective forms of corruption in the post you replied to. Because the point of this thread isn't about Blizzard overusing a specific form of a given word, but overusing it in general, be it a verb, noun, adjective, adverb or whatever. Yet here you are, only using the noun form in your futile attempt to dismiss what they said. Because if you actually addressed the full scope of what they said you'd be forced to admit you have no valid line argumentation here.

And you're using it in a manner that shows you're missing (also deliberately) another point too. Because it's, rather obviously, also not about replacing just this one word in a sentence and calling it a day like you're doing in your "examples". When you swap words around to avoid repetition you're going to adjust the sentences you're altering accordingly. This is something they teach you in elementary school...

It gets even sadder in regards to the first example you harped on, i.e. the "aid" brought up by @JustinJgh in the OP. Because even if one was to deliberately miss the point of this topic and assumed that it's about using the one specific form (and I guess also tense and so on) of the word mentioned in a given post like you did, the thing is "aid" is both a noun and a verb. And for some reason, you went with examples of "aid" being used as a verb, which you then replaced with a noun of "assistance" to "prove" your "counterpoint".

Even though all the examples of "aid" used by the OP you were replying to there used it as a noun too. So not only did you deliberately miss the point of how no one talks about one specific form of a given word, you can't even be consistent about it and even more dishonestly you arbitrarily changed the form of "aid" from noun to verb just fine. Showing that it can be done. And that you are indeed aware of the point of this thread, only choosing to pretend to miss it because you have no argument otherwise.
    Last edited by Mehrunes; 2020-12-31 at 03:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ymirsson View Post
    well then stop doing SUPER IMPORTANT things
    But moooooom!!!
    Hariuha laþu laukar gakar alu ole lule laukar

Mortal/immortal does not mean what you think it means. Just cause we resurrect when we did we are not immortal.

Mortal means you can die of normal means. Age, sickness, lack of food.
    Immortal means you can't die of mortal means. You must be killed.

The night elves where immortal, but a sure fuck lot of them died during the war of the ancients. They were immortal, which meant they would not die of old age or anything. Just dying from being killed.

what you think is immortal is actually invincible, unable to be killed by any means.
    I mean that is 100% true, we are the only ones there who didn't die to get there.
    Dear god, can you at least try to keep your narrative, convoluted and deliberately missing the point as it is, consistent? At least in the span of two posts. Because how we got to the Shadowlands has - by your own previously established (one post earlier) metric of mortality within Warcraft - nothing to do with whether we're mortal or not. And for the record by this metric Forsaken are immortal. To the point they outright have no physical needs that you mentioned. Yet they are still called mortals by inhabitants of the Shadowlands.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    You are aware that words in English have multiple spellings depending on whether they're being used as a verb or adjective, right? You would use the verb form of assistance, which is assist, to replace the use of aid as a verb. "Can you assist us?" "Can you cooperate with us?"

This is literally basic English, and you called the OP bad at writing lol
    What makes it even better is that OP's examples of "aid" (which is both a noun and a verb) used it as a noun. Yet @FelPlague, in their need to defend Blizzard's infallibility, rolled with sentences using "aid" being used as a verb and then swapped them with a noun "assistance", proving god knows what in the process.
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Meh. Vocabulary in Blizzard games is never impressive. Whole lots of "champions", "mortals", and "voids".

Try to tell me the lore of the old gods for example without using the word corrupt, lets see if
    You missed the point entirely with "corruption". The issue is not that they could use a different word. The issue is that the corruption appears so much in lore that it's a joke. That almost every single bad thing is the cause of "corruption". People who mentioned it attacked the lore and not the word itself. Try to look into what people are actually saying, even if it is slightly offtopic, instead of looking for things to complain about. This way, it wont seem like you are trying to nitpick worse than the nitpickers you are insulting.

yes, but i was pointing out how even Op made a horrid example.
    especially since they use assist a fair bit aswell during the leveling, especially in revendreth where they got that posh way of speech.
    Given how all example sentences of "aid" from the OP made used it as a noun, their example is by no means horrid as they'd be swapping a noun with a noun (not to mention that even if this wasn't the case, it'd be covered precisely by what @Jazzhands just mentioned here...). At this point you're not just dishonest, you're outright untruthful.

C H A M P I O N

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Mortal. Hello mortal, die mortal, mortal this, mortal that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zendhal The Black View Post
    maaaaw walkaaaaa...

yea I know I know I must walk in that garbage zone.. you don't have to remind me of that every fucking time
    I've been wondering, why do people dislike the maw? Is it because they are too low geared/skilled to handle the mobs?

Or is that they are too indoctrinated by the "GoGo rush" mentality and that every thing has to be ultra fast, so they can't comprehend a slower pace zone?

Awsome signature and avatar made by Kuragalolz

Quote Originally Posted by Nalam the Venom View Post
    I've been wondering, why do people dislike the maw? Is it because they are too low geared/skilled to handle the mobs?

Or is that they are too indoctrinated by the "GoGo rush" mentality and that every thing has to be ultra fast, so they can't comprehend a slower pace zone?
    noone is as skilled/geared and aware of the advantages of slow rolling the game like you, be assured.
    A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire
    winning
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

The players being referred to by the current big bad as "our [pause] ...guests".

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    All our enemies using "Mortal" as its a racial slur or something.
    Oh my god, this, just soo much. Especially if they throw it at draenei or elves with long lives, even more so for those magically inclined. They act like they are fucking eternal, when half of them die the next secod - for good.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.