10+ Year Old Account
    Doug Jensen found guilty on all charges.

Jensen was one of the first arrested, and did not plead out. However, he also insisted that his leading the charge be livestreamed...so...yeah, pretty objectively guilty.

You can read more about Jensen in this hometown newspaper of his from Jan 11, 2021.

Jensen posted photos of himself in D.C. on social media
    In a now-deleted Facebook post, Jensen posted a photo of himself standing near the Washington Monument in the same sweatshirt and T-shirt over it. The T-shirt has an eagle and large Q on the front.

Before Jensen's Facebook page disappeared, many of Jensen's posts consisted of images in support of President Donald Trump and QAnon.

He also posted on Twitter a screen grab of him confronting police and tagged two people whose accounts were suspended. In another tweet of a screen grab, he captioned the photo, "Me..."

Jensen also posted a video on TikTok, saying he's being turned into the "poster boy" for the riots in Washington, D.C., and not to believe the news.

Former Republican House rep Denver Riggleman claims the White House switchboard connected to the cellphone of one of the Jan 6th rioters during the insurrection.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/3...-day-of-jan-6/

You can only hope this is being investigated intensely.

They know who the cellphone belonged to, they just don't know who was on the other end at the White House.

Bloodsail Admiral
    1+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gondrin View Post
    This could belong in multiple threads, I'll post it to this one too since it fits here also. The GOP are 4 states away from having enough to be able to call a Constitutional Convention to be able to dramatically change the founding document of the US.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...edcb1283a521c9
    Feels like fearmongering to me. As noted further down the thread, they aren't actually *that* close to being able to rewrite the Constitution as they see fit. Yeah, they "only" need 8 more legislatures, but that's almost 20% of states. And if it's actually a concern, that's when you need to start spending more time at the range, if you're genuinely concerned they're going to Handmaid's Tale the country.

Personally, I don't think it's a serious concern because there's widespread dissatisfaction among even Republican voters with what they pulled in regards to Roe v. Wade. Whether or not that will be felt at polls is unknown, as Republicans are much more likely to shut up and fall in line than are Democrats. And Democrats just can't help but push gun control to ensure the "gun rights" nutters show up to the polls...

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Serpent View Post
    Feels like fearmongering to me. As noted further down the thread, they aren't actually *that* close to being able to rewrite the Constitution as they see fit. Yeah, they "only" need 8 more legislatures, but that's almost 20% of states. And if it's actually a concern, that's when you need to start spending more time at the range, if you're genuinely concerned they're going to Handmaid's Tale the country.

Personally, I don't think it's a serious concern because there's widespread dissatisfaction among even Republican voters with what they pulled in regards to Roe v. Wade. Whether or not that will be felt at polls is unknown, as Republicans are much more likely to shut up and fall in line than are Democrats. And Democrats just can't help but push gun control to ensure the "gun rights" nutters show up to the polls...
    Except it isn't fear mongering when they are actively calling for one right now if they get the required amount to call one. Same people stated they wanted RvW overturned and got it to happen. So there is kind of a precedence towards this. The only reason why the Reps are backpedaling is because they want people to calm down. Problem is, the moment people calm down, they are already looking towards a nationwide ban of abortion as multiple senators have stated they will push for bills to be brought forth.

They have been planning the convention route for a good couple of decades now. The GOP does play the long game. That is why they are pushing more for local and state governments than federal anymore as you can get more done that way.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...e/10459283002/

Ginni Thomas, the wife of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, repeated claims the 2020 election was stolen, despite a lack of evidence, while testifying Thursday before the House committee investigating the Capitol attack on Jan. 6, 2021.

The committee wanted to interview Ginni Thomas about her advocacy for challenging the results of the 2020 election. The chairman, Rep. Bennie Thompson, D-Miss., told reporters after the session she repeated her opinion the election was stolen despite a lack of evidence.

"She said that," Thompson told CNN.

Her lawyer, Mark Paoletta, issued a statement saying she answered the committee's questions, voiced her concerns about election fraud and condemned the violence on Jan. 6.

"As she has said from the outset, Mrs. Thomas has significant concerns about fraud and irregularities in the 2020 election," Paoletta said. "Beyond that, she played no role in any events after the 2020 election results."
    Unsurprisingly, Ginni's a conspiracy theorist nutter.

Now as with the rest of them she doesn't have a shred of evidence to support her conspiracy theory. But that won't stop her from believing it, and discussing it with her husband who sits on the SCOTUS and may very well hear cases on the topic.

Which normally wouldn't be an issue except...we know that Ginni and Clarence discuss his rulings and cases. And that we know Clarence has failed to recuse himself from decisions where one of the sides arguing a case in front of the SCOTUS is working directly with his wife and there is a clear financial conflict of interest.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...234604207/amp/

So...uh...bit on the nose this one...

A group of 34 inmates in prison over Jan. 6 related charges, including Proud Bois and Boat Keepers, sent a letter to the courts to request they be transferred out of DC jail and to...

Guantanamo Bay.

I mean...sure, send 'em and treat them like the rest of the inmates there? Because their current living conditions sound unbearable -

There the inmates awaiting trial sing the “Star Spangled Banner” every afternoon, have access to iPads and The Bachelor, and stage a Sunday variety show.

Honestly I can't stand Apple products or The Bachelor either.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...e/10459283002/

Unsurprisingly, Ginni's a conspiracy theorist nutter.

Now as with the rest of them she doesn't have a shred of evidence to support her conspiracy theory. But that won't stop her from believing it, and discussing it with her husband who sits on the SCOTUS and may very well hear cases on the topic.

Which normally wouldn't be an issue except...we know that Ginni and Clarence discuss his rulings and cases. And that we know Clarence has failed to recuse himself from decisions where one of the sides arguing a case in front of the SCOTUS is working directly with his wife and there is a clear financial conflict of interest.
    Oof more I think about, Ginni will get away with that she never talked to her husband about this business. It's 99% bs in my belief. So Clarence Thomas gets away with it and Ginni will probably be protected cause she is in the most political elite.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/04/polit...les/index.html

Wisconsin Republican Sen. Ron Johnson repeated his claim Tuesday that the January 6, 2021, attack on the US Capitol was not an “armed insurrection,” adding however, that protesters “did teach us how you can use flag poles, that kind of stuff, as weapons.

“There weren’t thousands of armed insurrectionists. I asked the question of the FBI agent at a hearing on this, I said, ‘How many firearms were confiscated either in the Capitol or on Capitol ground?’ I didn’t know the answer. For all I know it was going to be a thousand. No, zero. Zero,” Johnson said at the Rotary Club of Milwaukee in Wisconsin, according to a video posted online by an NBC reporter at the event.

Johnson added that “protesters did teach us how you can use flag poles, that kind of stuff, as weapons. But to call what happened on January 6 an ‘armed insurrection,’ I just think, is not accurate,” he added.
    I'm sure someone will quibble over "armed" meaning a firearm, but I don't think that's what it actually means, simply armed with a "weapon". In which case Ron Johnson, repeated insurrectionist-stan, contradicts himself very quickly in arguing that Jan. 6 wasn't an armed insurrection, but that insurrectionists did use flag poles as weapons which...taught us something?

I mean, has Ron Johnson never seen like...a stick or a 2x4 that's a few feet long before? Because if he's just learning you can use a pole as a weapon in his 67th rotation around the sun then I have deep questions about what else he doesn't know.

Also, attempting to clarify his statments is not going well -

“He acknowledges the left wing rioters know how to use flag poles and other metals objects and water bottles as weapons.
    TIL Proud Bois, Patriot Front, Oathkeepers, Nazi's, and that guy who showed up wearing a viking helmet and furs are all left wing? Has anyone told these organizations yet?

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/1...tions-00060819

Jeremy Bertino, a North Carolina leader of the Proud Boys pleaded guilty to seditious conspiracy on Thursday, becoming the first member of the group to admit to the charge stemming from the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol.

Bertino appeared before U.S. District Court Judge Tim Kelly to enter his guilty plea, which also included a count of unlawful possession of a firearm.

Bertino, who previously testified to the Jan. 6 select committee, was involved in key conversations and chats with other members of the group, including national chairman Enrique Tarrio and other leaders facing seditious conspiracy charges in the weeks before Jan. 6.
    First seditious conspiracy guilty plea achieved. And unlawful possession of a firearm charge.

First seditious conspiracy guilty plea achieved. And unlawful possession of a firearm charge.
    Yep, I saw this on tiktok, and some dumbass was arguing that the government has the money and lawyers, you have to basically take a plea deal, otherwise they will entrap you. Yes, that was this dumbass's shitty argument. I asked him "so he wasn't at the capitol and wasn't trying to overthrow the election?", and his response was, "what does that have to do with anything I just said?". I just facepalmed and scrolled on.

10+ Year Old Account
    First seditious conspiracy guilty plea achieved
    I don't think you should be allowed to plead guilty to a conspiracy without your confession being used as evdence against your fellow co-conspirators.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I don't think you should be allowed to plead guilty to a conspiracy without your confession being used as evdence against your fellow co-conspirators.
    Isn't one of his terms of the plea, that he has to testify against the rest of the people he was arrested with?

It doesn't say in the Justice.gov announcement of his plea. https://www.justice.gov/usao-dc/pr/f...transfer-power

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    It doesn't say in the Justice.gov announcement of his plea.
    It may not have to. His plea, including that he admits working with other people, is now a piece of evidence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Specifically, the fact of the conspiracy is considered to be established by virtue of case precedent, so for future cases, you only have to draw the connection, you no longer have the prove the existence of the conspiracy itself. You just need to prove the connections to other conspiracy members, which implicitly prove you're also a member. That's a much easier burden to pass, which is why securing those convictions on conspiracy charges were so critical.

lol at the proud boy rolling on his fellow piss boys

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/10/11/p...ons/index.html

USSS turns over another 1.5 million communications to the Jan .6 committee however -

The latest batch of records, which was first reported by NBC News, does not include the text messages lost to a data migration that prompted a criminal probe by the inspector general.
    This continues to be a major issue and I can't believe heads aren't rolling over this. This is basic shit and even my tiny ass company has us regularly back up files, and any time there's any potential data migration or we're transitioning hardware for any reason we back up everything beforehand.

People. Should. Be. Going. To. Jail. Over. This.

https://www.businessinsider.com/secr...uary-6-2022-10

The Secret Service warned in December 2020 that the far-right group Proud Boys planned to "kill people" during the January 6, 2021 march to the US Capitol.

That's according to internal emails released for the first time Thursday by the House Select Committee investigating the Capitol riot.

"They think that they will have a large enough group to march into DC armed and will outnumber the police so they can't be stopped," said one email sent a little after 9 p.m. ET on December 26, 2020.

"Their plan is to literally kill people," it continued. "Please please take this tip seriously and investigate further."
    Seriously, how much of a corrupt and incompetent shitshow is the current USSS?

Also as a reminder for the, "There was no plan!" people, there were plans. Many plans. Most of which involved killing or kidnapping people to achieve their goal of overturning election results.

Alexandra Pelosi filmed her mother all throughout that day. CNN was given the video she made of that day. Some of it is chilling.

https://www.axios.com/2022/10/14/jan...riot-fbi-email

Some within the FBI may have felt "sympathetic" to the Jan. 6 Capitol rioters, someone warned in an email sent to a top FBI official a week after the attack.

Why it matters: The email is a sign that there could be FBI agents who may not have been motivated to bring cases against the Capitol rioters, according to NBC News. The Department of Justice has arrested hundreds of people in connection to the riots in almost every state.

What they said: "There is, at best, a sizable percentage of the employee population that felt sympathetic to the group that stormed the Capitol," and that believed it was no different for the Black Lives Matter protests of 2020, the person wrote in an email to Paul Abbate, who is now the FBI's deputy director.

"Several also lamented that the only reason this violent activity is getting more attention is because of ‘political correctness,'" the emailer wrote to Abbate.
    Zoom in: The emailer told Abbate that they spoke to a "blue state" office and had to explain the differences between "opportunists burning and looting" during the Black Lives Matter protests and the "insurgent mob whose purpose was to prevent the execution of democratic processes at the behest of a sitting president."

Details: The emailer wrote that they recovered the information from first- and second-hand conversations with FBI employees.

The email was recently released through a Freedom of Information Act request.
    It is labeled as an "external" email, which may suggest the emailer was no longer an active FBI agent. The emailer described their "first unit," indicating that they have a history within the FBI.
    Of note: The FBI Agents Association (FBIAA), an organization that supports active and former FBI agents, "does not comment on ongoing investigations," said Brian O’Hare, the group's president.

"I will say that FBI Agents understand the importance of separating their own personal views from their professional work," he said in a statement to Axios.
    The FBI declined to comment.
    The big picture: The FBI at large sees the Jan. 6 riots as an example of domestic terrorism, director Christopher Wray said in May 2021 before the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Wray said the rioters were "on the same level with ISIS and homegrown violent extremists."
    Go deeper: FBI director: Jan. 6 Capitol attack was domestic terrorism
    How fuckin deep does the rot and corruption amongst conservatives go?