Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Under the promise that if they said no EU membership was guaranteed for essentially their lifetimes.
    This is, unsurprisingly, completely and utterly false.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Can't blame the scots for trusting the UK, but that is no excuse to now prevent indepence.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrown1917 View Post
    Can't blame the scots for trusting the UK, but that is no excuse to now prevent indepence.
    I appreciate that you feel that knowing what you are talking about is something that is completely optional but please go away and read a little before posting.

To give a little hint your first port of call should be the SNP's own white paper on IndyRef.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I keep seeing you post that other people's position are wrong, but providing no evidence or documentation or even a cite. Could you elaborate with something like that? I'm not calling you out in particular, nor disagreeing, just curious about what the actual facts are in this case.

It was my understanding that Scotland can still vote for independence and join the EU, but I will be the first to admit I don't know enough about it. Also, it occurs to me, I'm not sure what your position is on this issue....

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    I appreciate that you feel that knowing what you are talking about is something that is completely optional but please go away and read a little before posting.

To give a little hint your first port of call should be the SNP's own white paper on IndyRef.
    Or you could actually look up current polls and look up why some people voted remain back in the day.
    But just a hint, Leave is way ahead of remain. Denying reality must be hard on you.

Maybe if you wish to a star, the tories will win in Scotland next election!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I keep seeing you post that other people's position are wrong, but providing no evidence or documentation or even a cite. Could you elaborate with something like that? I'm not calling you out in particular, nor disagreeing, just curious about what the actual facts are in this case.

It was my understanding that Scotland can still vote for independence and join the EU, but I will be the first to admit I don't know enough about it. Also, it occurs to me, I'm not sure what your position is on this issue....
    The can only vote on it if the UK gov allows it, but its true that nothing is stopping them from joining the EU afterwards. Assuming they ellect a government who wishes to do so.

Do you? At no point was Scotland ever promised, as was claimed, that voting to remain a part of the UK would guarantee their EU membership. As I pointed out the SNP's own white paper was quite clear on the matter - you could try looking for this.

Your understanding is wrong. Scotland cannot vote for independence and it is laughable to suggest that it could join the EU.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrown1917 View Post
    Or you could actually look up current polls and look up why some people voted remain back in the day.
    But just a hint, Leave is way ahead of remain. Denying reality must be hard on you.
    What does this have to do with what I posted? It again comes back to you thinking that knowledge of a subject is optional. Have you looked at the SNP's white paper? What about the GERS? How do they fit in with EU membership criteria?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Do you? At no point was Scotland ever promised, as was claimed, that voting to remain a part of the EU would guarantee their EU membership. As I pointed out the SNP's own white paper was quite clear on the matter - you could try looking for this.

Your understanding is wrong. Scotland cannot vote for independence and it is laughable to suggest that it could join the EU.
    I appreciate you clarifying your position (not that you hadn't already, but at least at my request). I noticed you didn't have any cites for your position, however. I care very little about the EU membership "for life", however it's curious you can't simply link that cite yourself, since you're so familiar with it. Could you link that White Paper (again, if you already did so once)?

I am more focused on the vote for independence and ensuing possibility of EU membership. I already posted a cite laying out the grounds for that happening. Do you have some evidence suggesting otherwise? I would very much like to see it.

I appreciate you clarifying your position (not that you hadn't already, but at least at my request). I noticed you didn't have any cites for your position, however. I care very little about the EU membership "for life", however it's curious you can't simply link that cite yourself, since you're so familiar with it. Could you link that White Paper (again, if you already did so once)?

I am more focused on the vote for independence and ensuing possibility of EU membership. I already posted a cite laying out the grounds for that happening. Do you have some evidence suggesting otherwise? I would very much like to see it.
    I am not going to bother wasting my time providing information that is readily available. Perhaps you should be directing your request for information and proof at the person who originally lied about what was promised? Although to give you a little hint - 266 of the SNP white paper makes clear that there was no such promise.

Scotland cannot vote for independence. It needs Westminster to grant permission to hold a referendum. Scotland also does not meet the criteria for joining the EU. You could, instead of asking me, Google all this for yourself.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I am not going to bother wasting my time providing information that is readily available. Perhaps you should be directing your request for information and proof at the person who originally lied about what was promised? Although to give you a little hint - 266 of the SNP white paper makes clear that there was no such promise.
    I usually become concerned when people can't link information they are citing. We can leave this discussion for now, but if you want to continue, you're going to need to provide the White Paper link. Asking others to find proof of your claim is a losing proposition. Your choice.

Scotland cannot vote for independence. It needs Westminster to grant permission to hold a referendum. Scotland also does not meet the criteria for joining the EU. You could, instead of asking me, Google all this for yourself.
    I already linked one cite saying they could. And they already have voted on it more than once (against, of course). Do you have some evidence saying otherwise? If you need more from me I'd be happy to provide second and third references.
    Last edited by cubby; 2021-01-03 at 01:57 AM.

I usually become concerned when people can't link information they are citing. We can leave this discussion for now, but if you want to continue, you're going to need to provide the White Paper link. Asking others to find proof of your claim is a losing proposition. Your choice.

I already linked one cite saying they could. And they already have voted on it more than once (against, of course). Do you have some evidence saying otherwise? If you need more from me I'd be happy to provide second and third references.
    Why aren't you asking the person who made the claim to provide proof? I've given you the exact point in the Scottish government's own assessment which disproves his claim.

An article does not change UK or EU law.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    If Scotland were independent they could most assuredly apply for EU membership.
    Could it? What are the EU's requirements on monetary policy? Or deficit spending?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Why aren't you asking the person who made the claim to provide proof? I've given you the exact point in the Scottish government's own assessment which disproves his claim.
    Do you have the link or not? Just post it. Have you already done so in this thread? I'll go find it in here if you did.

An article does not change UK or EU law.
    What laws are you citing? What evidence do you have for your position? I keep trying to have a conversation with you about this topic, and while I'm providing cites for my positions, you seem to think it's our job to find cites to prove your points as well. That's not how this works.

The article I linked pointed out reasons and laws saying Scotland could join the EU. Here is another article arguing that an independent Scotland could join the EU. I would enjoy seeing your evidence for you positions.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    I think refusing to allow a referendum would be one of the worst ideas imaginable, given how much weight the Tories put on the Brexit one...
    In fairness to them, the Tories put a lot of weight on the Brexit referendum being a one time deal with no rerun/etc, and it wouldn't be just an independence referendum they would be refusing it would be a rerun of the 2014 independence referendum. So from a point of view of consistency/hypocrisy they wouldn't be doing anything out of character.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Under the promise that if they said no EU membership was guaranteed for essentially their lifetimes.
    Not only that, but there were actually a lot of voters who voted to leave the UK only because they were under the impression it also meant leaving the EU and that was their prime goal.

It's also worth noting that the SNP are, in large part, considered to be the lesser of many evils. It's not necessarily that they or their policies are super popular - it's that the alternatives just happen to be pretty terrible. The Tories have a habit of neglecting Scotland, though Labour have not been much better even when they've been in power.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Not only that, but there were actually a lot of voters who voted to leave the UK only because they were under the impression it also meant leaving the EU and that was their prime goal.
    How do you know that?

Could it? What are the EU's requirements on monetary policy? Or deficit spending?
    I'm far from an expert, but nothing insurmountable seems to be at play here: https://ec.europa.eu/neighbourhood-e...-membership_en

The largest obstacle would likely be "a functioning market economy and the capacity to cope with competition and market forces in the EU"

But I can't see anything that would utterly disqualify and independent Scotland from joining the EU.

Do you have the link or not? Just post it. Have you already done so in this thread? I'll go find it in here if you did.

What laws are you citing? What evidence do you have for your position? I keep trying to have a conversation with you about this topic, and while I'm providing cites for my positions, you seem to think it's our job to find cites to prove your points as well. That's not how this works.

The article I linked pointed out reasons and laws saying Scotland could join the EU. Here is another article arguing that an independent Scotland could join the EU. I would enjoy seeing your evidence for you positions.
    I cannot provide you with a link that proves that something that does not exist is non-existent. Again instead of asking me why aren't you asking Kallisto to provide you with a single speech or interview from someone in government, like Cameron or Clegg, or a government document that supports his claim.

Why don't you search for yourself? The specific point I mentioned deals with the Con manifesto promise to hold an in/out referendum on the UK's EU membership. Ask yourself this; how could anyone promise Scotland that they would remain EU members when there was a possibility that the UK would (and did) vote to leave the EU. The answer is they can't.

Also a fundamental principle of the British parliamentary system is that no current parliament can bind the hands of a future parliament therefore it was not possible for anyone in government to make this promise to Scotland.

Cubby if you wish to join in with a conversation it is not unreasonable to expect that you have at least some basic knowledge on the subject beforehand. It is not my job to lead you by the hand or spoon feed you information.

That is the same article and rather than proving your point it laughably reports Sturgeon's claims third hand via The Express!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    If memory serves, I believe polling around the time of the referendum showed that around a third of SNP voters supported Brexit.

Found a link - https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...-finds-survey/

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    I'm far from an expert, but nothing insurmountable seems to be at play here: https://ec.europa.eu/neighbourhood-e...-membership_en

The largest obstacle would likely be "a functioning market economy and the capacity to cope with competition and market forces in the EU"

But I can't see anything that would utterly disqualify and independent Scotland from joining the EU.
    Setting up a currency from scratch is a massive undertaking - I believe that the SNP's own estimates were that this would take about a decade - especially when you are starting from a point (and this is pre-Covid) where your deficit spending is nearly three times the level allowed by the EU.

It also remains to be seen whether there would be any appetite amongst member states for another member state that would be a net beneficiary to join given the pressures from Covid and that the EU has just lost a large contributor.
    Last edited by Pann; 2021-01-03 at 08:13 AM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why don't you search for yourself? The specific point I mentioned deals with the Con manifesto promise to hold an in/out referendum on the UK's EU membership. Ask yourself this; how could anyone promise Scotland that they would remain EU members when there was a possibility that the UK would (and did) vote to leave the EU. The answer is they can't.
    The answer is David Cameron was so sure that the UK would vote to stay in the EU he hardly campaigned for remain until extremely fucking late, then resigned as PM once he lost that vote.
    - Lars

Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    The answer is David Cameron was so sure that the UK would vote to stay in the EU he hardly campaigned for remain until extremely fucking late, then resigned as PM once he lost that vote.
    That make no sense whatsoever. The EU referendum happened two years later.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    That make no sense whatsoever. The EU referendum happened two years later.
    Well, Cameron hardly campaigned for the Scots to stay in the union either. So it makes all sense.
    First Cameron argues: Stay in the UK. Stay for the EU, you like the EU even if you don't always like England.
    That's ... more or less the only argument he has in that whole affair. He's hardly active campaigning for Scotland to stay in the Union.
    Then the EU referendum. Where he hardly campaigns for Remain since he's cocksure to win until polls 3 weeks out are looking really bad. And he panics.

So, Cameron campaigned on the Scotland question with "you'll stay in the EU, if you leave us you'll get booted out of the EU". Then the UK left the EU because Cameron sucked at politics outside of his boysclub.

Perfect sense.
    - Lars

Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    Well, Cameron hardly campaigned for the Scots to stay in the union either. So it makes all sense.
    First Cameron argues: Stay in the UK. Stay for the EU, you like the EU even if you don't always like England.
    That's ... more or less the only argument he has in that whole affair. He's hardly active campaigning for Scotland to stay in the Union.
    Then the EU referendum. Where he hardly campaigns for Remain since he's cocksure to win until polls 3 weeks out are looking really bad. And he panics.

So, Cameron campaigned on the Scotland question with "you'll stay in the EU, if you leave us you'll get booted out of the EU". Then the UK left the EU because Cameron sucked at politics outside of his boysclub.

Perfect sense.
    Cameron did not campaign at all during the IndyRef - it was a matter entirely for the Scottish people to decide and as a result Westminster stayed out of it.

The SNP were told by the EU that if they voted to leave the UK it would become a third nation and would have to apply for membership like all other potential member states. (Although the SNP conveniently glossed over this and falsely claimed that a vote for Yes was the only way to stay in the EU.)

Again he didn't campaign because it was not his place to do so.

He was over confident and the remain campaign was poor but that has nothing to do with the Scottish IndyRef.

Even putting aside the many factual inaccuracies in your post none of this would have constituted a promise to Scotland that they would remain in the EU for their lifetimes.