Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by javierdsv View Post
    I mean guys, we already have a Revendreth where people that have done atrocities can redeem themselves and clean their souls from their sins. Of course Sylvanas can have a redemption arc.

Also, she has been ruthless for ages, but don't you think it's just expectable that she would hesitate to do Anduin the very exact same thing Arthas did to her and she hated him so much for it? That is like the most personal situation she has been on since like, forever.

Let them make the most pure hearted character become bad and the most currently hated character become good, it's a good twist. For once I think the writing on this Expansion is decent.
    Revendreth and the Venthyr campaign makes it clear that their idea of redemption is a process- a long, slow, painful process whose result is not guaranteed. No "DRAENOR IZ FREE" into general applause allowed with these guys. Now, could Blizzard decide to give Sylvanas special treatment yet again and fast-track her redemption? Sure, absolutely. But at least so far they're not doing it for Kael'thas so maybe not.

As for your last paragraph, no, just no. Having SHOCKING twists for the mere sake of being SHOCKING is the opposite of good writing.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Growing Void power in Anduin will reject Shalamourne's attempt to control him. He'll be able to wield the blade without succumbing to the jailer. You heard it here first.

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    I think he will play a vital part against Jailer. He was a willing LK, he might have an insight/powers to counter him.

- - - Updated - - -

I dunno man, you saw those Venthyr aristocrats living the life?
    He's probably gonna help us, the question remains will it be as an anti-hero earning his place out of the Maw via his actions (what I hope happens) or will they pull an Illidan and have him be the best boi who didndunuffin because the Jailer was behind everything, which the cinematics thus far make me fear.

And yeah, the Venthyr throw some nice parties. Sadly you 1) have to be an asshat in life to even be sent there and 2) have to go through uncounted years of punishment, imprisonment, accusations, soul harvesting, and other niceties beforehand, and that's assuming the upper management isn't currently being a bunch of corrupt douchenozzles who suck you dry of Anima to serve themselves fancy drinks.

Still, it's very hard to say Sylvanas is right given that her solution includes tossing the dead of the entire universe into mega-hell to be tortured and made into slaves for all eternity for no greater purpose than fueling mega-Satan's war machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    You don't become good just like that, especially not after 10k nelve civilians cooked alive, and more.
    No, you definitely do not just become good like that, correct. Good/bad aren't ledgers, and you can't balance bad with singular good actions. Sylvanus may choose to do the right thing now, but that does not absolve her. Allowing her to pick the 'good guys side' now is not bad writing, but brushing away consequences from prior actions would be. Goes back to why I mentioned most fantasies kill off "atoners" who swap from bad guy side to good guy side late in the plot ASAP with a heroic last stand - it ties up that plot thread neatly without having to dig into the difficult question of what an actual just response after-the-war-is-over would look like. (Edit: Which is now substantially more complex since we are in the literal afterlife - what would a 'heroic last stand' be like if you're just going to 'wake back up' in the afterlife 5 feet from where you died? Sorta messes up that usual plot resolution!)

Honestly I'd like to see that get tackled. If Garrosh had actually stood trial, what would that trial have been like? What scope of outcome could there have been? If, and again IF (we're definitely all reaching when we think she may even take Anduin up on it eventually - and even if she does I am sure it won't be right away, probably not until last-raid-patch), Sylvanus swapped back to 'our side' (And let's assume death penalty is off the table; I don't think Anduin would go for that and it's a more interesting thought process if not) - what WOULD a post-Jailer-war trial and consequence look like? Life in prison seems like a weird concept to apply to an Undead. Real-world this is usually where some disgraced leader gets exiled to an island (like Napolean, twice). Again - seems unsafe when you're talking an immortal undead you can't trust. Is there some "straight to Revendreth" option for her? (that seems to violate what I know about how the Shadowlands works - a mortal court can't decide to send her there because they have no authority to do so).

Even a trial'd be kind of interesting. Everyone got on board with the idea so quickly for Garrosh that, it seems like (even though we haven't seen one) the notion of a war-crimes trial is not currently alien to either the Horde or Alliance (that may seem silly, but RL we didn't really have the notion of one till post-WWII). But what would that look like? Who would arbitrate? What would the proceedings be?

...And am I super nerdy to be wondering what Azeroth War Crimes Court would look like and what the protocol would be, when the real (game) resolution to all these arcs is probably just going to involve magic and explosions?
    Last edited by Corseth; 2021-01-04 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VladlTutushkin View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPOvUQIbP9s
    Aaaand, cut. Scene over. They officially whitewashing Sylvanas by that vomit inducing interaction with Anduin. Lets say it like that - its horrible from every angle. Its like a perfect gem made of pure crap, every side of it shines its own hue of awful.
    1) Anduin still sees "some good" in her, aka the Hope or wahetever.
    2) Arthas-Anduin parallel which i always found really unnecessary, not every Alliance prince should be compared to Arthas. Arthas wasnt even that great of a character (although he IS better then most current characters.)
    3) Whats the point of all that grand talk of "choice" and Anduin placing HIS fate as some kind of "end line" for Evilness when uncountable legions of souls are currently tortured, broken, turned mad or enslaved by the Jailer and Sylvanas. How comes their fates were not evil enough, but if she dares touch him THEN its a Moral Event Horizon?
    4) Jailer looks awful, just saying. Handsome squidward is not imposing and looks silly.
    5) Kerrigan "redemption" story ahoy, here we go. *vomits*
    6) All that was pretty much "foretold" before and people said that it will never happen. Well... I guess it DID happened after all!
    But... It dosent make me happy, it just makes me even more disheartened since the Worst Scenario is THE Scenario we going with.
    Yup i agree. Saw that and thought....her comes her redemption arc. Hope it does not happen. but am afraid it will happen.
    Still find her writing p*ss poor.

She hates arthas etc for what she done to her etc etc....so she works for the man who created lich king in the first place.
    She whines about not having any choice. The whole of shadowlands ( 4 zones out of infinity) shows you can reborn etc. And the afterlive you get , depens on what kind of person you are, you belief and what you did during life. That is a lot of choice. So bad.

But lets react point by point

1.) yup. But i think he also said: there are 2 sides to you. 1 is fighting the other.
    2.) its anduin. they always hate him. He is to weak, he is arthas etc etc. Yup arthas was not great. But better written. And i like anduin. he is on his own path. So far has shown to be more levelheaded then any WoW hero/villian. Resists or try to resist a lot. Survived a lot of horrors etc.
    3.) yup. silly you have no choice in your life/afterlive ( while its proven you have) so join this slave master that made the lich king. Someone who killed a enslaved people as his job :S
    4.) disagree with you. Like handsom squidward. Instead. Like his death theme/lich king style. Sadly he is most likely not the end boss of the expansion ( they said).
    5.) yup, as a player who played night elf since launch ( and druid at that). It make me sick to think we just saw the redemption arc start of her.....but hey people want a faction war again. So they make Turralion do some stupid shit and redeem sylvannas in the eyes of the horde. And its done. so weak.
    6.) yup

It was in-character for Anduin to try to get through to Sylvanas, it was very out of character for Sylvanas to react the way she did.

Quote Originally Posted by Adoxe View Post
    I used to say she'll be Kerrigan'd but I dont think that's the case anymore, seems like she's getting Darth Vader'd. Will be redeemed in the eyes of the few (Anduin/Forsaken/Player characters) but nothing will change for the many, both players and lore characters like Tyrande.
    That's what I'm saying.

Quote Originally Posted by bagina View Post
    It was in-character for Anduin to try to get through to Sylvanas, it was very out of character for Sylvanas to react the way she did.
    Because she's not a character anymore, but a cardboard-cut out hype machine whose motivations change as the plot demands. Has been since BFA really so no surprises there.

I wouldn't say it's OOC for them to react like that either way to each-other imo. Anduin's always been trying to find good, even in the most evil of people (For example, Garrosh), and this man also led the forces of the Alliance against the Legion on Azeroth during the battle of Antorus, where he and many others likely saw Sargeras up front, and even then, his heart remained pure, etc. And after the shit he's gone through during WoW (Cause he's gone through a LOT, even if he wasn't in many of the battles upfront), I'm sure Anduin's not really going to falter to much of anything, really. Not easily, at least. Hell, this man even gained some respect from Garrosh. GARROSH! The fucking war tyrant himself!

And in regards to Sylvanas, she's always respect the Wrynn family, especially Varian (Which is why she aided him a ton at the Broken Shore, and even felt some regret over his death afterwards), and knowing Anduin's diplomatic approach and overall pure heart, Sylvanas wasn't really going to react well against that. Let's be real here.

3+ Year Old Account
    Even with who she is, she knows exactly the consequences of by taken over with Dominance magic.

So her reaction is not much of a surprises to me, when told that she now has a choice in what she is doing unlike arthas.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Because she's not a character anymore, but a cardboard-cut out hype machine whose motivations change as the plot demands. Has been since BFA really so no surprises there.
    I hate it when people say this. Makes me realize literally no one's played WC3 or have known Sylvanas' storyline from Vanilla-Wrath.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Except you know the part where she kills even those’S coming back and says no one who was on good terms with there human relatives could live as she didn’t want that hope spreading.
    Except as per Calia herself, everyone but Elsie was already defecting by the time Calia got to talking with Elsie. And she talked to Elsie last. Meaning that before Sylvanas even realized something was off 11 out of 12 Forsaken still on the field were already defecting. With none seen returning after Sylvanas sounded the horn as they should have. We only saw them returning after Sylvanas learned about Calia and decided that the test of loyalty has failed and ordered the Dark Rangers to kill them all. At which point, as Sylvanas pointed out to Nathanos after he questioned her, they could have just as well be returning only out of fear. Because, you know, there appeared a threat of consequences for defection. And looping back to Calia, Sylvanas turned out to be right in regards to 11 out of the 12 that were killed.

Which leaves Elsie. Who still disobeyed orders about the retreat to chit-chat with a pretender to Sylvanas' throne, even though she's been told about how they were to retreat immediately after the signal. Once upon her own inquiry. After which she herself thought about how there would likely be serious repercussions for violating that rule, as not retreating when called to could create an incident with the Alliance.

Revendreth and the Venthyr campaign makes it clear that their idea of redemption is a process- a long, slow, painful process whose result is not guaranteed. No "DRAENOR IZ FREE" into general applause allowed with these guys. Now, could Blizzard decide to give Sylvanas special treatment yet again and fast-track her redemption? Sure, absolutely. But at least so far they're not doing it for Kael'thas so maybe not.

As for your last paragraph, no, just no. Having SHOCKING twists for the mere sake of being SHOCKING is the opposite of good writing.
    I mean, they are saying that. But what they are showing (like they already did with Kael) is that it's the Venthyr that drain the sins out of you, their assistant kills the sins and bam, your sinstone is off to be used by others as a fashion accessory. I.e. instead of treating redemption as an internal process built on introspection, it's an external one where someone else redeems the shit out of you whether you want them to or not.

It really wasn't even in-character for Anduin. Before the Storm ended with Anduin proclaiming that he'll never abandon hope that people can change, but it also contained a piece of character growth where he admitted some people may never want to become his drone. Which he said while talking about Sylvanas. And finished off with saying that she's well and truly lost. Which is why he didn't try pleading with her at Lordaeron. He demanded unconditional surrender from her, threatened her with death if she did not comply and that was that.. This cinematic is a character regression for him that undoes the last decade of his development.
    Last edited by Mehrunes; 2021-01-04 at 11:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    I hate it when people say this. Makes me realize literally no one's played WC3 or have known Sylvanas' storyline from Vanilla-Wrath.
    You'll have your work cut out of you trying to reconcile all three incarnations of BFA Sylvanas alone, now I'd like you see you try and include this one that suddenly values Anduin's free will after aiding and abating the guy who is torturing the dead of a universe into eternal torment and slavery into a coherent whole. This should be good.

@Mehrunes Fair, and I never said they were perfect about it because it's still Blizzard, but you're simplifying a bit. The Accuser takes a more forceful hand with Kael because he's so close to being lost, and draining him in his case just meant removing the excess sins thrown into his lap by Denathrius's cronies. He starts to have doubts about his behavior during this week's questline, and that's stated to be just the beginning of his process. Obviously this is a video game played by actual people so we won't ever see the actual hundreds-years long penitence actually play out, but it's something still.

Besides, we don't see very many souls actually carry their sinstones. I think it's standard operating procedure to remove them, even if thematically having souls lugging these around would be better IMO. On the whole, by WoW standards, Revendreth is fairly interesting and consistent in its theme.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post

It really wasn't even in-character for Anduin. Before the Storm ended with Anduin proclaiming that he'll never abandon hope that people can change, but it also contained a piece of character growth where he admitted some people may never want to become his drone. Which he said while talking about Sylvanas. And finished off with saying that she's well and truly lost. Which is why he didn't try pleading with her at Lordaeron. He demanded unconditional surrender from her, threatened her with death if she did not comply and that was that.. This cinematic is a character regression for him that undoes the last decade of his development.
    Good point. You're right.

You'll have your work cut out of you trying to reconcile all three incarnations of BFA Sylvanas alone, now I'd like you see you try and include this one that suddenly values Anduin's free will after aiding and abating the guy who is torturing the dead of a universe into eternal torment and slavery into a coherent whole. This should be good.

@Mehrunes Fair, and I never said they were perfect about it because it's still Blizzard, but you're simplifying a bit. The Accuser takes a more forceful hand with Kael because he's so close to being lost, and draining him in his case just meant removing the excess sins thrown into his lap by Denathrius's cronies. He starts to have doubts about his behavior during this week's questline, and that's stated to be just the beginning of his process. Obviously this is a video game played by actual people so we won't ever see the actual hundreds-years long penitence actually play out, but it's something still.

Besides, we don't see very many souls actually carry their sinstones. I think it's standard operating procedure to remove them, even if thematically having souls lugging these around would be better IMO. On the whole, by WoW standards, Revendreth is fairly interesting and consistent in its theme.
    "You'll have your work cut out of you trying to reconcile all three incarnations of BFA Sylvanas alone" It's very easy.

There is: Sylvanas manipulating the Horde.

There is: Sylvanas being evil.

And, there is: Sylvanas showing genuine glimpses of her remaining humanity (AKA Before the Storm, Vol'jin's death, and her literally saying to Saurfang that she trusted him after besting him in battle, only to then proceed in tryna kill him).

- - - Updated - - -

"And finished off with saying that she's well and truly lost. Which is why he didn't try pleading with her at Lordaeron. He demanded unconditional surrender from her, threatened her with death if she did not comply and that was that.. This cinematic is a character regression for him that undoes the last decade of his development"

Yeah, and he still went with that mindset until he realized wtf was going on in Sylvanas' mind in the cinematic that was literally just released.

The sins we killed were those pumped into him by Denathrius, but the sinstone was his own. And as we're told right at the start of Revendreth, the sinstones just laying around represent a soul that has completed their journey in the realm and moved on to better pastures (or, as we learn later, became a Venthyr).

"You'll have your work cut out of you trying to reconcile all three incarnations of BFA Sylvanas alone" It's very easy.

There is: Sylvanas manipulating the Horde.

There is: Sylvanas being evil.

And, there is: Sylvanas showing genuine glimpses of her remaining humanity (AKA Before the Storm, Vol'jin's death, and her literally saying to Saurfang that she trusted him after besting him in battle, only to then proceed in tryna kill him).
    Riiight. That's why in Before the Storm Sylvanas' plan, as described when she was talking with Nathanos who was in on the whole thing, was trying to make more Forsaken via sacking Stormwind. Then it changed multiple times throughout BfA, ending at breaking death. That's why in BtS Sylvanas expressed surprise about being appointed Warchief and was dissatisfied with it in her internal monologues. At Blizzcon we learned she actively worked towards becoming Warchief prior to Vol'jin's death and that it was team Jailer that convinced Vol'jin to name her to achieve their desired results. So on and so forth. The one who doesn't know Sylvanas' story here is you, not @Jastall or anyone else.

"And finished off with saying that she's well and truly lost. Which is why he didn't try pleading with her at Lordaeron. He demanded unconditional surrender from her, threatened her with death if she did not comply and that was that.. This cinematic is a character regression for him that undoes the last decade of his development"

Yeah, and he still went with that mindset until he realized wtf was going on in Sylvanas' mind in the cinematic that was literally just released.
    Except there's a reason why I said this scene isn't in-character even for Anduin. As in, it's not in-character for Sylvanas either. She had her Banshees mind-control a bunch of living survivors of the Scourge's onslaught already in W3. Because the Forsaken never cared about free will issues in regards to non-Forsaken, let alone their enemies. The taboo was always about doing so to other Forsaken. As such the writers treating her breaking Anduin's will as her moral Rubicon is a bullshit premise that goes against her prior characterization. Making Anduin's grand realization equally bullshit, as the only reason this realization works is because the incompetent twerps at Blizzard once again had to wipe their asses with the established story to achieve the results they wanted to, since they don't know how to write their way towards their desired outcomes otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

"That's why in Before the Storm Sylvanas' plan, as described when she was talking with Nathanos who was in on the whole thing, was trying to make more Forsaken via sacking Stormwind. Then it changed multiple times throughout BfA, ending at breaking death. That's why in BtS Sylvanas expressed surprise about being appointed Warchief and was dissatisfied with it in her internal monologues." She also tried to work for peace with the Humans and co before shit got fucked. So, no?

"At Blizzcon we learned she actively worked towards becoming Warchief prior to Vol'jin's death and that it was team Jailer that convinced Vol'jin to name her to achieve their desired results." She did try to aim for Warchief, but she 100% did not intend for Vol'jin to die the way he did, etc. You're right about the whispers, but that imo doesn't really matter overall. And it's clear that some of what she did in Legion was genuine for the Horde, which is why they survived the Broken Shore and stood ground against the Legion. Though, even then, she did shady shit. For example: Teaming with Helya and trying to gain immortality by capturing Eyir for herself.

- - - Updated - - -

She probably thought that the Horde Players would have good faith with Helya since she teamed with her (Hence why she chatted with us and said "Oh yeah, ask Helya to head out" or some shit like that), but Helya is a dumb bitch anyway, so...yeah.

- - - Updated - - -

"Making Anduin's grand realization equally bullshit, as the only reason this realization works is because the incompetent twerps at Blizzard once again had to wipe their asses with the established story to achieve the results they wanted to, since they don't know how to write their way towards their desired outcomes otherwise." While you're right about literally everything else in that paragraph, I kinda disagree here. Anduin's realization kinda works as Sylvanas was never given the choice to be who she was, as Arthas just killed her and raised her to be a Banshee. Her doing evil shit in WC3 was probably because her time as a Banshee made her stubborn, selfish and full of hate (Which is something the Jailer used to his advantage for Sylvanas after Arthas' demise), so you're right on that. If anything, the Jailer finally gave her a "choice" for the first time, as he's basically the reason she has multiple lives practically in reality, hence why she kinda wanted to serve him and saw a different way of thinking.

Anduin, from what I could get from the cinematic, realized this and basically pitied her. He doesn't forgive her, but he sees the gravity of her situation, and realizes that she can still provide mortality, a change. Granted, she will likely never get a full redemption, but Anduin is seeing her problem at hand, and is trying to give her something she never really had since first meeting the Jailer, a choice. A feeling of freedom, kinda? Idk, maybe I'm reaching on this. I doubt Blizzard is trying to redeem her at all though. Doesn't seem like that's the story whatsoever.

Sylvanas just feels like a Vader knockoff rn.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm just trying to see the character from a less 1 sided view is all. Doesn't mean I know nothing about her though. :/

So Kerrigan actually was mindcontrolled by the overmind? Ah damn.. wrong universe
    But at least she dumped Stukov that undead man with a beard and.. I got it wrong again.
    I think in the end she will get the power she needs to defeat the Void god as a child of light and shadow.. ah wait, that was Kerrigan, too.

Anyway, can't wait where the Sylvanas story is going to..

(I have to admit, I liked starcraft II so much I wouldn't have any problem with them redoing it in WoW, also saving the whole universe would really redeem her burning teldrassil)
    Last edited by Inukashi; 2021-01-05 at 01:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    The sins we killed were those pumped into him by Denathrius, but the sinstone was his own. And as we're told right at the start of Revendreth, the sinstones just laying around represent a soul that has completed their journey in the realm and moved on to better pastures (or, as we learn later, became a Venthyr).
    That's a conflict that exists from the onset then, since no soul is seen wearing one. The only one I remember is Kael himself, and some huge dredgers like that (CENSORED) Sludgefist also seem to wear a massive one for some reason. Then again to be fair few souls have Kael's corporeal form which exists for the audience's benefit more than anything else.

I'll still maintain that by Blizzard standards it's a pretty minor issue, and the point remains that redemption via Revendreth is no easy affair by any means.

Whats up with handsome Squidward having fetish for blonde boys?

Its not a "wow" moment per se when you looked at it, there were breadcrumb hints here and there that Anduin might probably end up as new LK. Most prominent was actually the moment Squidward said: "I have precisely what i need" when we teleported out of the Maw leaving Anduin in chains. I mean he is blondboy wielder of light, same as Arthas was.

More of a "oh shit" moment for me was when Squidward pulled basically soul eating gem, much like the one which was embedded in original Frostmourne from his back-pocket and gave it to smith to make Frostmourne 2.0.
    First, this kinda implies that making Frostmourne on its own was not a huge task to begin with, it was right there, in a video, made by a MawSmith, which we slew countless so far. Devalues the uniqueness of the whole blade it self if it can be made so easily IF you have all materials for it.

It was also a realization that we are, in a form, metaphorically said somewhat a goody-good shoe LK on our own. I mean we have the same soul eating gem with which we go into the Maw every singe day. We just choose to free souls that we collect.

As for Sylvanas. Im a Sourfang fanboy to begin with, ever was, ever will be. So if i "hate" any WoW character - its her. However i wouldn't like to see her going trough redemption loop. Shes way too big of a character to die, but redemption loop would mean several things - First, most important, my green boy died for no reason. Second, that tree? Yeah. That would also end up as "upsie."
    Third, Tyrande would not get her vengeance and let me tell you, shes one aaaangryyy mofo. If life thought me anything is to move from a way of a angry female. kidding.
    Forth, dunno, just would like to see her go soft on me. And finally, i really dont see how could things could play out trough the story for the rest of the expansion if she goes soft. Dogboy could end up leading humans in unified human kingdom (this was speculated during beta) and on other hand we have Calia as possible replacement for Forsaken leader. So, in a way, we have replacements ready.
    But we will see.

is it original? No. Is it something unexpected? Actually. No.

I liked more stories behind Night Fae and Voljin and Necrolord's and Draka Inc.
    Havent yet leveled any Venthyr-Bastion characters.
    Last edited by Gurg; 2021-01-05 at 02:02 AM.