Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Are there good gaming companies anymore?

Just last year, everyone was saying we still have CD Projekt Red as the “good guys” of gaming... then Cyberpunk came out.

Are there ANY good game companies anymore? Square Enix?

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    Just last year, everyone was saying we still have CD Projekt Red as the “good guys” of gaming... then Cyberpunk came out.

Are there ANY good game companies anymore? Square Enix?
    Square Enix are decent, though they have their own share of problems. Dissidia NT was bare bones and had to be retired early. FFXIV doesn't get as much funding as it deserves to match its success. The Avengers game was a major financial loss and a flop. FFVIIR was pretty good, but it still took liberties with the original plot and changes some plot points in a way that reeks of the ethics committee meddling. Which, in itself, is an issue - since the whole idea of an 'ethics committee' seems a bit dubious.

With all that said, they're still far above a lot of other companies but we're at the point where I expect some measure of screw up with pretty much every company.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sure, but they are small and don't catch your attention. Supergiant Games made Bastion and Hades yet all we see is people like you thinking about their dear big companies who are their childhood friends or something.

If you look outside the AAA company's ya.

THQ nordic is decent, Then you got SuperGiantGames and Platinum Games along with many others. As for AAA company's really the only decent ones is Sony, Nintendo, Square Enix and Capcom.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Nihon Falcom, the producers of the Trails series. They've been putting out a 60+ hour long epic JRPG every year for the past decade now, and the quality of their games is very high. They are arguably the best JRPG developer today.

There is also Stoic Studio, the developers of the Banner Saga. They have not yet announced their next game, but I am looking forward to it.

- - - Updated - - -

I would also like to give a shoutout to Aurogon, the developers of the Chinese Paladin and the Gujian series, which is to my knowledge the biggest singleplayer RPG series in China. You can read their long history here. I hope that more effort is invested into the localizations of their games and the presentation of their games. It looks like there is some good stuff in their games, but when I played Gujian 3 I found that the localization was lacking, and that the game itself to be really rough around the edges. Still better than most Western AAA games from within the last 10-15 years, IMO.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2021-01-03 at 03:22 AM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    there are plenty of good gaming companies, just requires gamers to have a realistic standard. If your looking for a perfect gaming company then you first have to find perfect gamers to pair them with.

id software.

I mean.....Supergiant? Could be recency bias, but Hades is incredible and I was immediately hooked by Bastion as well. So 2 great games right there. Pyre is good, but I won't end up sinking the hours in to it as I have the others.

Small sample size maybe and I certainly can't speak to their company culture, so it's possible I shouldn't be commenting here. But if you're looking for insanely fun games with incredible writing and sound/music design then yea.....Supergiant! (is a good gaming company)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dravec View Post
    id software.
    This too..
    ~steppin large and laughin easy~

I still respect CD Projekt Red (as long as they continue to fix Cyberpunk) and Nintendo.

3+ Year Old Account
    They're all good until they get too big and the greed begins to overshadow the passion.

If its making big budget games and has shareholders to please assume the worst every time. Thats a pretty solid 100% track record nowadays to judge on.

After CDPR recent fuckup with very known game... i trust probably only Larian Studios.
    Hopefully BG3 won't change that since i got huge hopes.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    If its making big budget games and has shareholders to please assume the worst every time. Thats a pretty solid 100% track record nowadays to judge on.
    Exactly this. Shareholders are only concerned with return on investment, and that motive often doesn't align with delivering a quality product.

Atlus is going pretty strong lately..worst crime so far is Persona 5 Royal being a $60 remake with hella expensive DLC. But the DLC is very optional so who cares and hopefully the rumors are true that they are releasing most of their library on steam soon...

Arc has been AMAZING with fighting games lately. Dragonball Fighterz is one of the more balanced games in the genre right now and the dev blog for Guilty Gear ..so far shows they have been listening very carefully to player feedback and has been giving good reasonings on why they might say no to things...very excited.

Someone already said Supergiant and no complaints here.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    IMHO Pretty much every company is what random forum goers understand as "greedy".

Take this moral compass into your daily life to only buy products from "good" companies and you are starved, homeless and dead within a year.

But I am always ready to be persuaded, how people here live their ethics that they hold game companies to in their daily life. How they don't own anything from Apple, Microsoft, never order from Amazon etc etc...

Well yeah..I mean I still LOVE capcom..yeah I'm upset they pretty much retired Megaman, are unlikely to do another Darkstalkers or Breath of Fire, and then tease me with making characters from those games into Street Fighter costumes...but I still love Capcom

Larian studios.

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    Also not gonna lie..ya'll kinda set yourself up for disappointment with CDPR

They have a library of only a handful of games of which 2 were like amazing successes and 1 of those is the equivalent of releasing Triple Triad as a standalone game. The rest were pretty mediocre, a hand in Saints Row 2, and Cyberpunk.

Also a bad game =/= bad company. With my example of Capcom before they released some GARBO often.. DMC2 and Every Megaman X game past 4 come to mind but for the most part has a great track record.

You need to set logical expectation for yourself. Also this thread confuse and mix publisher and developper as one. It seems in the OP he was mostly going for Publishers, so its kinda hard to really say good, by what standard. Judging a publisher for "bad games", would be like going to see a book publisher and be like woah half the book you publish sucks! Its easier to point fingers at actual practice from the publisher and not just its product being bad. EA did not make Anthem bad, Bioware did. What you can judge EA on is doing stuff like killing entire studios because they didnt seem to sell as much unit as they wanted. Dead space was clearly profitable according to every metric and yet the studios was forced to shit out battle field multplayer modes because EA had to compete with Activision for FPS released and it flopped and who got the boot, viceral. That is all i can judge if a publisher is bad, make huge ass fucking mistake and then destroying stuff that was clearly just fine, but not massive money chest like FIFA.

Look i love SE, SE as a developper has ups and downs, it kinda goes with being in the bunishess for many decades now. You cant strike gold 100 times in row, even Nintendo produce turds once in a while. SE the developpers also takes considerable risk often, some pay off, some do not. So i can appreciate that.

SE the publisher is kinda the same its uneven too. They do often take a risk, but they also publish some lazy ass shit "cough avenger game cough". How many live service failures AAA the industry can get, im not sure. But SE the publisher are just like Activision and EA on that front, they also want the easy money. I can appreciate the extra risk taking they take over EA. SE also doesent kill studios regularly like EA does, then again EA is kinda unique in how often they did it, even Activision doesent go around killing its studios after failures, hell in EA case not even after failure, just not making as much money as they wish. When SE said the first Tomb raider reboot didnt bring as much as expected, people where like UH OH, yes EA would have put the Axe in Crystal Dynamics long ago. Not putting the Axe in them speaks more about EA as a company then SE to be honest, i doubt most publisher would have.

Another example of what im talking about is a lot of Publisher that arent EA are fine publishing stuff they dont get control on. EA doesent publish outside stuff, they want total inhouse control. Which is why companies like Activision, Capcom, bendai namco,SE. Often gets to publish stuff out of nowhere, the attitude in those case is more like a real book publisher. All it requires is that they expect this game to at least return a profit. Which is why you get stuff like Activision publishing Sekiro. I remember people freaking out, not understanding Activision does this alot, publish stuff from studios they dont own. Meaning they control nothing beside marketing and publication of the game. Because Fromsoftware is not owned by activision, if they tried to control the game, they would just have turned around and ask BN to publish it like they did dark souls.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2021-01-03 at 02:10 PM.

Blizzard, Id software, Square Enix, From Software is still one of the bigger ones that create things I enjoy. Which is my criteria for "good" company.
    Error 404 - Signature not found