Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dravec View Post
    id software.
    Probably this. I've enjoyed Quake 4 and Doom 3 - as games they were pretty alright, they were shit doom/quake games, but as games in general - not bad. And then Doom released. O boi.

Rage 1/2 - mediocre games, but not bad.

---

Paradox Interactive? They release their grand strategies. And while people joke that Europa Universalis 4 with all DLCs costs like 150 eur, it's 150 eur over 7 years, and I've spent a couple of thousand hours playing it, so not that expensive. Altho they did some shady shit even if they backed down after backlash...

From Software - they're just releasing their Souls games without much drama that are great games. New Armored Core would be cool, but hey.
    Last edited by ldev; 2021-01-05 at 02:06 PM.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

Quote Originally Posted by Maruka View Post
    from software makes great games that are mostly free of political and social issues.
    lol, saying this when the way of white is literally a parody of the christian clergy and senpou monks are basically all little mengele.

oh, and the omnipresent waifu that serve you like the dirtiest hot dream of any old fashioned japanese xD
    Last edited by omeomorfismo; 2021-01-05 at 02:25 PM.
    12/6/2009 -23/11/2020 rip little deathstalker Ferretti. proud forsaken, enemy of the livings

Quote Originally Posted by DesoPL View Post
    Seriously Paradox? Okay the only thing i can say about Paradox, they do sick number of DLC's for thier games. Look at Crusader Kings 2 for example. Or Stellaris.
    I think they are a bit "excessive" when it comes to DLC and pricing of said DLC, but their free patches are pretty good as those usually include some new mechanic and/or feature and not just bug fixes. They're not my favourite when it comes to their ethics but they're still decent.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Yes well done, let's all focus on how evil and horrible Blizzard are, it's clearly more important than what the Chinese government were doing in Hong Kong.
    Thats what happens when they get it wrong and overact. You highlight the very thing you are trying to avoid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Team shanghai alice. Yet to be disappointed by them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really don't jump on this notion that there are 'good' game companies. Just good games.

This whole idea of sucking up and playing buddy buddy with game developers never sits right with me.
    Last edited by Orby; 2021-01-05 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    Just last year, everyone was saying we still have CD Projekt Red as the “good guys” of gaming... then Cyberpunk came out.

Are there ANY good game companies anymore? Square Enix?
    I trust Nintendo to make fun games. But I admit I have not bought recent products. I'm not willing to shell out $400 for a Nintendo console and some games.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    Should remember Blizzard did just make national news for banning a tournament player for speaking out against China.
    Not only that, but Blizzard seriously attempted to "correct" the problem by issuing left-wing political statements at the next Blizzcon, which ties them to the democrat party, and it is the democrat party that sides with China over Hong Kong. So they STILL effed up.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    Just last year, everyone was saying we still have CD Projekt Red as the “good guys” of gaming... then Cyberpunk came out.

Are there ANY good game companies anymore? Square Enix?
    kinda depends on your definition of 'good company'

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma77 View Post
    They're all good until they get too big and the greed begins to overshadow the passion.
    Pretty well sums it up. Once shareholders are involved shit is bound to go sideways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFawlty View Post
    People believe that Blizzard over reacted.
    Player agrees to rules, Player breaks rules knowing what the punishment could be. Blizzard acts against rulebreaker.

I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    id software, New Blood Interactive, Larian, Devolver Digital

If I had to name one it would probably be Creative Assembly.

Their DLC stuff is usually worth it (except for the blood/gore-DLC) and it feels like they actually have fun adding new stuff and creating their Total War games.

And I have fun playing them.
    Same with Paradox Interactive - their games might be "barebones" when they come out but even at that state they entertain for hundreds of hours and you can safely assume that a lot of stuff is added along the way.

Stellaris felt like playing a new game for 3 times now and I'm still having fun.
    CK2 was a lot of fun throughout the whole experience.
    CK3 is fun and I'm currently waiting on DLC.

But that's me accepting the new pay-model:
    "Base Game -> DLC + Free Stuff -> DLC + Free Stuff ..... "

games have these days. As long as it's actually DLC that adds something to the game, I'm fine with it.
    Cosmetic sets or lootboxes or XP boosters in a SP game can suck my dick.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Player agrees to rules, Player breaks rules knowing what the punishment could be. Blizzard acts against rulebreaker.
    No one saying he didnt break the rules its the action taken that caused the problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodwulf View Post
    Stop attributing Good and Evil motives to companies. Despite what the US Government may think, Companies are not people. Most companies exist for one reason alone, to make money. They are businesses, and they have a product to bring to market. These companies are not your friends, despite what their marketing team portrays. They don't answer to you the consumer, they answer to investors and shareholders. This does not make them evil. They can still make consumer friendly games, but its not out of a desire to do "good" as much as it is a plan to make money. Some companies make their money by packing their games full of Gacha mechanics and loot boxes, these are not evil companies, they just have historically proven this route works to make money. Some companies make a game you buy once and get free dlc, these are not good companies, they just know that they can meet their profit and revenue metrics by doing so.
    Too based.

Company did something I don't like or made a miscalculate....company evil!

Resident Cosplay Progressive

You're pretty much looking to indie game companies now. Supergiant is rapidly growing into a legend right now, and Hades is unbelievably good.

Team Cherry does Hollow Knight, which is primarily 3 people (they officially added their coder after HK). Christopher Larken does all of the music, though he's unofficially the official musician for the HK games.

Radical Fish Games is behind CrossCode, my favorite indie game. I'm not as in-the-know of their development, since I ended up discovering the game very late in its cycle. I did hear that the main founder had developed his own game years prior that was liked, but abandoned in for CC's development.

Tom Happ solo developed all of Axiom Verge, but I believe he now works under, or directly with, Sony. I haven't been following AX2's development, so I don't know if he brought in additional people. The first game was made entirely by him over 5 years, with scant outside help for some programming stuff. (Might be worth noting, but some of the music is weak, but he admitted he wasn't the great musician--valid criticism, but pretty minor in the grand scheme given the game's ambition and overall quality.)

The biggest thing about game quality I see is how much the original vision remains intact. Tom Happ pointed out that Axiom Verge was so consistent and implied that the overall quality of the game was because he was the sole developer and didn't have to really compromise on that. Though, he does point out it's a double edge, since it means he has to learn things out of his expertise and it slows down development.

Creative assembly, sure they have done some meh stuff in the past like rome 2 launch but overall they do a amazing job atm and i cant freaking wait untill Warhammer part 3 it's going to be amazing stuffwith revamped sieges and expanded maps and new races.

Paradox is a favorite too with each game can easily give you thousands of hours of gameplay, favorite games there would be Stellaris and Crusader Kings serie.
    Do you hear the voices too?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFawlty View Post
    No one saying he didnt break the rules its the action taken that caused the problem.
    Yea, banned then unbanned... I have a problem with that too.

10+ Year Old Account
    At this point I only believe that game companies have "their moments". After CDPR's sloppy release of Cyberpunk 2077 I no longer trust any company to be a consistently good company. At least enough for me to go out of my way to support them. I'll still hold some respect for some companies despite their mistakes because we're all human, we're not perfect and it's not like all of them are out just to scam us and piss us off. Believe it or not sometimes they genuinely just make mistakes and as long as they own up to them and fix them like CDPR is actively doing with Cyberpunk 2077 I won't right away write them off as a company to boycott or hate on. A company would have to be on the levels of EA and Activision for me to dislike them that much.

However with all that said I will no longer "follow" companies like I did with CDPR. CDPR to me was like the one company that seemed to do everything for their fans rather than the money which I believe they still do...mostly but they also used to be the most trustworthy of all the major developers. Now, after Cyberpunk 2077's release and after them taking pride in their belief and basically motto for the game that "it'll be released when it's done", their word doesn't mean much anymore. They'd have to seriously work on earning that trust back and even then I think I would still continue to be skeptical about them.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    It really is hard since, like many people above / before me already said, that even those companies you felt like you could trust ultimately succumb to the new age gaming problems that is profit.

I feel bad for all the developers out there pouring their heart and time (so much time) into a game only to have some higher ups on the buisiness end without a clue or interest in gaming to make some decision to push a game out before its ready to "hit the numbers".

Gaming used to be by and for the gamers with the bonus of making money. Nowadays its just profit, like every other capitalist company out there.

Pretty sure we still have die-hard developers around but they can only go so far.

We've seen it with MTX, we've seen it with Fallout 76 (there's active correspondence between the devs and the mods inside the discord, they suffer a lot from arbitrary orders by the higher ups), same with the recent Cyberpunk and many more games.

One can only hope that the current systems implode and we maybe get a more balanced future with game companies going back to the roots of ye olde "its ready when its ready", if that really ever was a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Yea, banned then unbanned... I have a problem with that too.
    I take it you arent in charge of PR in a company then. They got it wrong and overracted, not because the ban was reduced (thats why people got upset -added for clarity for those wearing Fanboy blinkers).