Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Thumbs down Like BFA, do I have to level alts to see the whole story?

Do Horde ever find out what's going on in Kul Tiras? (Oct 2018)

"Your Stormsong Outpost now has wolves" Yay. Fun. But that still doesn't explain why that homestead over that hill is being attacked by Horde demolishers. It seems kind of important.
    I see people talking about Kel'thuzad a lot, and I'm wondering... did I miss a quest?

He's back? He's doing important story-related stuff? Where does the game tell me this?

I also see Kael'thas in a whole lot of coversations. Again, did I miss something? I fully explored all the zones and did all the main story quests and all the side quests I discovered on the way, yet I have never seen either.

I chose Kyrian, and I got the quests to go in and do the two dungeons in Bastion. Same thing with with Revendreth & Maldraxxus; do the quests and evenetually you're sent into the two dungeons. The only dungeon I haven't done is De Other Side, because the game hasn't told me to yet and I don't want to queue and run a dungeon I have no idea about or who the bosses are or why I'm even there. I'm more of an RPG player than a CoD player; I play for the story, not the queue.

But now everyone's talking about Kel'thuzad and Kael'thas and I'm wondering if this is BFA all over again. Was I just expected to level and play four alts to find out what's going on?

My 2018 post above went into detail about how there weren't any all-new Horde-only/Alliance-only zones until WoD, and how annoying it is to have essential story plot points blocked from the player. Horde had no idea what was going on in Kul Tiras, with some town being bombarded by Horde troops and wicker things all over Drust'Var and why we can use the friendly flightmaster in the pirate town when every NPC is hostile. All while Alliance were asking Who the Hell is G'huun but were told to just shut up and queue. The game simply expected you to play alts on both sides.

Is it happening again?

Kel'thuzad doing stuff here, Kael'thas doing stuff there... and apparantly Bwonsamdi is featured in De Other Side dungeon. Okay? Were all three standing around in their respective zones somewhere and I just rode past them while looking at my map? Or are they covenant-specific storylines and three-fourths of the playerbase are supposed to just accept that they have no idea what the Hell is going on? Again.

In BfA, they blocked the story to half the player base. Have they gone even further this time and blocked the story to THREE QUARTERS of players? Instead of being forced to play two characters (H/A) to know what the Hell is going on, do I now have to play FOUR?

10+ Year Old Account
    No, you could always just swap covenants once you finish your campaign, then do that one's campaign, and repeat.

Yes, its kinda stupid.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yep, same way you needed multiple characters to know everything that was going on in Legion, same way you need at least two characters to get all storylines in vanilla, etc.

You could just change covenants? How lame would it be if all four covenants had the same story line. Thats like complaining you had to level mage to see the mage story line in legion...

Quote Originally Posted by thottstation View Post
    In BfA, they blocked the story to half the player base. Have they gone even further this time and blocked the story to THREE QUARTERS of players? Instead of being forced to play two characters (H/A) to know what the Hell is going on, do I now have to play FOUR?
    The covenant campaigns criss-cross each other at several points. It's different what point you will encounter it for each one. I know my Kyrian friend has done some of the same parts as I have on my Necrolord. There will be aspects you have to do each covenant to get the full information for however.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhrrngt View Post
    You could just change covenants? How lame would it be if all four covenants had the same story line.
    The simple fix would have been instead of making us choose which covenant to join and time gating the campaign to hell they could have made us choose which covenant to join first and let us complete all four over the course of the expansion...

Oh wait, yeah that's what they were told in beta, and they took the advice onboard as well as ever >.>

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    The simple fix would have been instead of making us choose which covenant to join and time gating the campaign to hell they could have made us choose which covenant to join first and let us complete all four over the course of the expansion...

Oh wait, yeah that's what they were told in beta, and they took the advice onboard as well as ever >.>
    How dare Blizzard not take into consideration every single suggestion ever made to them!

Did you ever play Legion?
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

15+ Year Old Account
    There is a thing called forums, wowhead, fansites, or even Wowpedia which usually has any new story information. You aren't forced to play four characters if you don't want to and there is nothing wrong with not having generic stories. There has always been at least two splits horde and alliance. While most of it has been minor it has always been there for at least some of the story.

It isn't a big deal. Either do it or don't. The stories are not blocked. And by the way Bwonsamdi is self contained to the dungeon. It does a good job of explaining why he is there. So if you missed that then experiencing stuff in-game isn't a problem anyways. And once the story is all released you can always just switch to a different covenant on your character.

So you can in theory experience it all on one character.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    That would be dumb and would mean the stories are all predictable based on the order we do each covenant and how the other covenants all interact. They didn't do that because it wasn't a good solution and just because it was "told in beta" doesn't mean something is automatically good.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

You could just change covenants? How lame would it be if all four covenants had the same story line. Thats like complaining you had to level mage to see the mage story line in legion...
    I mean, there are covenant quests that are absolutely repeated between covenants. I was doing the Necro one a couple weeks ago and my boyfriend looked over and said "hey we did that for Kyrian". turns out necro and venthyr are the same this week.

I believe those two things are from memories. You get little clips of interactions between the Jailer and the Runecarver as you put in more memories. Druids have the easiest time as they have four specs to get memories for and demon hunters are probably going to see it the slowest with only 2 specs to get memories for. I believe it's after a set number of memory turn ins, but i'm not certain about that.

A lot of the Covenant stories overlap. Like Venthyr and Kyrian i think overlapped story quests recently and before that it was necro and kyrian that overlapped. My guess is the last bits of the story are all shared between the four covenants just told in different orders. So it really is just the abilities and look that are determined by your covenant and not how much story you get to see. I thought they said they want to move away from having to have multiple characters to see the whole story anyways.

I'll admit though, I haven't entirely been paying much attention to the story.
    Last edited by blankfaced; 2021-01-03 at 06:23 AM.
    I'm a thread killer.

Switching covenants the first time is super easy, so I'm not sure what we are even talking about.

This expansion probably has the best compromise possible: you can level alts and have new storyline with each one for the first three. That's great. But if you don't play alts you can just play though all of them on one chatacter without any issues.

Much better than every questing experience being identical or having to pay for a faction change.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post

Yes.

Neither Horde nor Alliance had any clue what that whole Sylvanas/Eyir/Lantern thing was about.

Yes.

Neither Horde nor Alliance had any clue what that whole Sylvanas/Eyir/Lantern thing was about.
    Hahaha samen you Sour as Sourcream...lots of people do know what that means. Not me, since i dont five a F..but lots of people do. For advice, listen to Nobbel87 on YouTube for wow stories. He can explain and tell Them Bert Nice, imho.

Furthermore..Be happy blizz made 4 stories to go true! If you into Lore, i mean, how cool is that! That like putting out 3 raids on the same Day for me!

Note: goddamnit im so jealous on the people that rp, and love the story so much! I cant, i tried!

You needed 12 in Legion...

I don't think ot's a problem. I have a harder time getting people that only want to play 1 toon.

If you want to limit yourself, it's your choice. I don't know why you think everyone else should.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    if you mention Uther to other covenant players
    That plot got an entire Warbringers promo cinematic. Connecting the dots is easy.

KT and Kael got no such adevrtisement. I didn't even know KT was in Shadowlands until everyone started making memes about him and the role he plays in the main story.

And I was like "... wut?"

EDIT: While I'm talking to other Covenent players, can I ask what the deal is with the necropolis circling Maldraxxus? I've done all the Maldy quests, but that place is still a mystery to me. The fact that I see it circling every time I open the map means it does something.
    Last edited by thottstation; 2021-01-03 at 10:23 AM.

WoW always had this type of storytelling. In Vanilla, the Alliance had an amazing questline involving the Defias, Katrana Prestor and Onyxia. The Horde never had access to this storyline. They could run the Deadmines and kill Van Cleef with not much idea why in the game itself. I also remember doing a bunch of dungeons on Kalimdor with my Human Paladin back in the day with absolutely no idea of what was going on really, while the Horde had more explanations.

The fact it's becoming more of an issue now is that the story is much more present, characters are more involved with the main storyline and it feels weird to be cut off from part of it. I personnally think it's fine, because parts of the story are accessible behind meaningful choices : your faction, your class, your convenant, etc. BFA, Legion and even WoD had different part of the story for different players based on that. Wrath or even TBC had the begining of that too.

I'm ok with the Kyrian campaign sending me to Revendreth and Kael'thas being there for whatever reason. I think it would be less confusing if other well known characters where around, so to not make this too special, but it's fine. I then know that if I want to understand why he's there, I should play the Venthyr campaign, but I choose the Kyrians because I liked Bastion and the characters there. In the same way, when I was doing my Paladin's campaign in Legion I ended up going to Netherlight Temple with no idea of what was that place, seeing Calia Menethil for the first time, etc. I needed to play a Priest to see the other side of this story.

I agree that the game could explain more and differently events that happen "off screen", but I think it's okay if our characters don't know everything about what's going on. I makes the world seem more alive and organic. We have to put the pieces together ourselves, make predictions or suppositions. It's a bit wierd when we have to do a dungeon with no idea why, and sometime we access dungeons way before the story get us there, but it's still a video game and some mechanics have to work a certain way. SL did actually a pretty good job with the story of each zone leading us to at least the first 4 dungeons. Maybe less so for the other ones.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Pretty much the same as Legion yeah.

Imo Legion wasn't nearly as bad at this as BfA was. As a Horde player you had zero idea what the story of entire zones were in Kul Tiras, while in Legion you just missed out on a few minor NPCs and their story if you didn't play all classes. Some were perhaps a bit more important than others though but it didn't feel like you missed out on important expansion plot points. After all the different class order halls had intervoven stories that interacted with each other and was a nice bonus if you played most of the classes. BfA on the other hand saw no intervoven story, just two separate ones that I honestly think could have been an expansion each.

Personally I don't mind how they are doing it in Shadowlands because it is similar to the Legion class halls formula.

I don't see how doing the 4 Covenants in a row while the campaign stories happen in the same time and are complementary would be a good solution.

Probably second "not worst" (1st being having 4 alts doing each Cov questceach week), but doesn't make it good.

This reminds me of a story of me doing world quests during first week of Shadowlands. I walk towards a dot in Maldraxxus (my covenant is there, it's convenient) and Draka lorebombs me with the fact that one evil Margrave that was all about killing me like couple quests earier ASKS us to get rid of KEL'THUZAD's loyalists in this area. I was, at the very least, quite puzzled about what the hell is going on.

The point is: lore is a mess, Blizzard is writing-wise incompenent and/or doesn't care, I like healing, hence for me it is all that matters in WoW.