Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    A new series will not be popping out in six months. (or six months from April). The full 3000 series SKU stack may not even be out yet by then. We still haven't even had a whiff of RTX 3050s and variants, for instance.

GPU generations tend to run longer than CPU generations these days (averaging 20-28 months) of late.

- - - Updated - - -

They outsell any other single computer maker by a massive margin, and as a single company have like ~30% of the laptop market (or they did, it is shrinking because of Chromebooks).

So... wut?

Similarly in the mobile space (phones and tablets) - iOS doesn't have the most market share, but when you consider that iOS only represents ONE manufacturer, the fact that they have ~35% of the entire market is pretty massive. And its higher for tablets, since Android tablet makers basically packed it in years ago other than a few token releases from Samsung and LG and a few others.

- - - Updated - - -

Whenever Microsoft makes Windows on ARM not be a complete shipping-container sized shit-filled dumpster fire.

Right about then.

So... yeah. GFL with that.
    one manufacturer doesnt mean much because the PC market isnt made to be sold by only 1 manufacturer. its the same with android devices. if it was meant to be a single manufacturer then all we would have is locked down systems like apple's. and yeah massive margin because they over charge for what they provide lol a macbook air in all reality is not worth $999 and we all know it yet people buy them

One thing that Apple does better than just about anyone else (well, aside from marketing) is supply chain. They are notoriously aggressive when it comes to getting the absolute best prices possible, at whatever volume they need, and insist on priority delivery. The use volume and future business to leverage these things, generally at numbers nobody else can compete with. They also flex spending to use multiple vendors when needed, and will absolutely play one vendor against another. Very, very few companies have the muscle to compete with Apple in this regard. The bottleneck Apple has is almost always assembly, not parts.

Most PC parts manufacturers do not have anywhere near the logistical supply chain setup Apple has.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodykiller86 View Post
    one manufacturer doesnt mean much because the PC market isnt made to be sold by only 1 manufacturer.
    It absolutely does. And the margin that one company has is staggering. As Jell points out above, Apple can use its dominance of the market to achieve better margins, get the parts it wants, when it wants, play OEMs against each other, you name it.

And Apple's dominance leads the way. The long-deserved utter deathh of the 3.5mm jack on phones? Apple. Ultraportable computers that dont sacrifice power (but therefore need to be glued together)? Apple (wether you like it or not, its paved the way for laptops of half the weight as before). Better screens in laptops? Apple.

its the same with android devices. if it was meant to be a single manufacturer then all we would have is locked down systems like apple's.
    Which is what they all desperately, desperately fucking want. ALL of those manufacturers want that. Thats why Samsungs phones all come with their own buggered-fucking-shitbag of a custom skin, their own AI assistant, and for a decent bit Samsung was seriously considering bagging Android in favor of Tizen for precisely that reason.

and yeah massive margin because they over charge for what they provide lol
    Facts not in evidence. Ive already done this a couple of times in this forum, but i can go down Apples entire line and show that if you try to buy a spec-equivalent (ACTUALLY spec-equivalent, which includes weight, battery life, screen quality, port selection/versatility (TB counts), etc) PC... you almost always pay just as much as a Mac.

And you cant even get an AIO that is nearly as powerful as the iMac or with anything anywhere near the quality of that 5K screen for even close to what Apple charges (that screen alone is ~1500$ and the base iMac is only 1799$ for the entire machine). You cant get a workstation with the features of the Mac Pro for what Apple charges (though you can get close, and do *better* than Apple on the CPU because of Epyc).

a macbook air in all reality is not worth $999 and we all know it yet people buy them
    Facts not in evidence.

A MacBook Air isnt really much more expensive then other ultraportables. A Razer Blade Stealth, Razer Book 13, LG Gram, Thinkpads, etc... are all about the same price as the Air (899$) or more expensive and all but one of them is significantly less powerful than the Air at that price. (And only the Razer Book and Gram can even be configured to match the Air, at 1500$+, and those are both larger (15" models).

Before you start drooling on about how "no one uses those lolololimamoron" - yeah, yeah they do. Ultraportables are the single biggest segment in laptops. By a WIDE margin.

Can you get a 500$ Chonk-O-Plastic that is... close to an Air? Arguably, yes (though not really since it takes a 4/8 Tiger Lake i7 or 8-core Ryzen 4000 laptop chip to actually match the M1). But most people dont want to carry a plastic chonkbrick around all day. They want to work all day and never have to plug in. MBA (even the old Intel one) gives that in spades.

But hey, you do you boo. Dont let the facts get in the way of a good hate-on.

Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post
    For video - Davinci Resolve. Better than Premiere/After Effects.
    That's right, I would add Olive Editor to the list, it is still in its early stages but it is promising. Have tested it on my Linux machine and even though it is still early it is doing great. Just download and try it, it's free.
    https://www.olivevideoeditor.org/

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like Apple is going to lose some support for ports with the move to ARM.

"Could I have learned my way around modern macOS and tried to preserve that part of the company? I dunno, maybe eventually. These past few years have spawned an absurd amount of new technologies, many of them absurdly complex - Vulkan alone has been a multi-year learning process and I still barely understand a large portion of the spec. But in Vulkan's case, I wanted to learn to use it. Metal may be nicer to look at in comparison, but beauty is only skin-deep - any multiplatform developer will tell you that Mac drivers still haven't improved despite Metal happening, and reporting bugs to Apple when you're not rich is like pulling teeth with boxing gloves. Contrast that with Linux, where Vulkan is in some places downright appalling, but when we run into driver problems I just post a RenderDoc capture on the Mesa issue tracker and get a response (and sometimes even a commit hash!) usually on the same day. As software continues its unabated exponential curve of complexity, having access to both the software stack (in its entirety) as well as the communities that build it all will be critical, and the contrast of Apple getting bigger and more reclusive while independent developers get smaller and more desperate is something I can't ignore."

https://icculus.org/finger/flibitijibibo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kodemonkee View Post
    That's right, I would add Olive Editor to the list, it is still in its early stages but it is promising. Have tested it on my Linux machine and even though it is still early it is doing great. Just download and try it, it's free.
    https://www.olivevideoeditor.org/
    Uh oh, I mean it doesn't even touch the other two and won't. Resolve is still extremely strong for a free editor (unless you need FX, above UHD timeline, NR, edit 10Bit footage etc) then you just get one off fee if you need the studio version. I guess it just depends what level you are and what you need out the software. Most edits dont require extreme editing just good cuts and solid story so any NLE will do.
    Last edited by Mister K; 2021-01-15 at 02:56 PM.
    -K

Quote Originally Posted by m4xc4v413r4 View Post
    Good job failing to read once again, you should go back to primary school before attempting to have a discussion... Once again, what it can do outside of playing WoW is completely irrelevant since that and that alone is the entire point of the thread and of the video i commented on. Go fanboy some more somewhere else.

- - - Updated - - -

You what? For the same price you get a laptop that plays WoW better and that comes with a screen and keyboard. Good job being a complete idiot fanboy that can't even understand reality.

Show me a SINGLE thing I said that was incorrect? Please, I'll wait on that. This thread is about playing WoW on the M1 and my comment was about a video benchmarking a Mac Mini M1 playing WoW. So take that and show me what I said that was wrong. Goooooood luck fanboys.
    I guess if you live in a basement where the only criteria for a laptop is how well it plays WoW

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by killertree View Post
    I guess if you live in a basement where the only criteria for a laptop is how well it plays WoW
    Yup, keep hitting the same key over and over, you will never make it the point of the thread, which is, how well the M1 plays WoW... lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    It absolutely does. And the margin that one company has is staggering. As Jell points out above, Apple can use its dominance of the market to achieve better margins, get the parts it wants, when it wants, play OEMs against each other, you name it.

And Apple's dominance leads the way. The long-deserved utter deathh of the 3.5mm jack on phones? Apple. Ultraportable computers that dont sacrifice power (but therefore need to be glued together)? Apple (wether you like it or not, its paved the way for laptops of half the weight as before). Better screens in laptops? Apple.

Which is what they all desperately, desperately fucking want. ALL of those manufacturers want that. Thats why Samsungs phones all come with their own buggered-fucking-shitbag of a custom skin, their own AI assistant, and for a decent bit Samsung was seriously considering bagging Android in favor of Tizen for precisely that reason.

Facts not in evidence. Ive already done this a couple of times in this forum, but i can go down Apples entire line and show that if you try to buy a spec-equivalent (ACTUALLY spec-equivalent, which includes weight, battery life, screen quality, port selection/versatility (TB counts), etc) PC... you almost always pay just as much as a Mac.

And you cant even get an AIO that is nearly as powerful as the iMac or with anything anywhere near the quality of that 5K screen for even close to what Apple charges (that screen alone is ~1500$ and the base iMac is only 1799$ for the entire machine). You cant get a workstation with the features of the Mac Pro for what Apple charges (though you can get close, and do *better* than Apple on the CPU because of Epyc).

Facts not in evidence.

A MacBook Air isnt really much more expensive then other ultraportables. A Razer Blade Stealth, Razer Book 13, LG Gram, Thinkpads, etc... are all about the same price as the Air (899$) or more expensive and all but one of them is significantly less powerful than the Air at that price. (And only the Razer Book and Gram can even be configured to match the Air, at 1500$+, and those are both larger (15" models).

Before you start drooling on about how "no one uses those lolololimamoron" - yeah, yeah they do. Ultraportables are the single biggest segment in laptops. By a WIDE margin.

Can you get a 500$ Chonk-O-Plastic that is... close to an Air? Arguably, yes (though not really since it takes a 4/8 Tiger Lake i7 or 8-core Ryzen 4000 laptop chip to actually match the M1). But most people dont want to carry a plastic chonkbrick around all day. They want to work all day and never have to plug in. MBA (even the old Intel one) gives that in spades.

But hey, you do you boo. Dont let the facts get in the way of a good hate-on.
    Ah, finally someone that’s knows what he’s talking about.

Well said man. I don’t have the energy to reply to people that say Apple is over-priced because they happened to find a system that’s not comparable in any way short of one component, usually the cpu. Why someone would blindly hate a brand, beyond all logic and objectivity is beyond me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by m4xc4v413r4 View Post
    Good job being a complete idiot fanboy that can't even understand reality.
    Why the heck are you insulting random people on the internet? Take a chill pill, buddy. Think of your heart.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side