1. #1

    Question Best demon for (destruction) warlock

    So this has been bogglin' my mind for a while now, even though we have limited options.
    Many of the guides say either imp or felhunter, leaning more towards the latter.... but out in the world/dungeons/raids I mostly see the imp.

    I tried to look at the pro's and cons

    Pros for the Imp
    - Range is nice
    - Looks less dumb than the felhunter
    - Can be pulled towards you
    - Has a dispell

    Cons for the Imp
    - It seems to attack very slow
    - No interrupt

    Pros for the Felhunter
    - Has an interrupt
    - Seems to attack faster
    - Even though is melee, is strangely durable when standing in shit

    Cons for the Felhunter
    - Looks weird
    - Is melee, so every time I attack from a distance, it has to run to melee-range


    So I'm wondering... I love the interrupt.. but a dispell is also nice. Which demon should I pick?

    What demon are you using and why?

  2. #2
    Raids: Imp

    Although all pets damage is normalized, the imp doesn't have to run to melee range before attacking so it's slightly better.

    Mythic+: Felhunter

    Use for an interrupt because pugs in shadowlands have all forgotten they have one.

    Torghast: Voidwalker

    Let the swol blueberry carry you to victory.

  3. #3
    Demons do the same damage, but Imp doesn't have to run back and forth so it switches targets more easily.

    If you are in M+, you need to be using Felpuppy for interrupt and purge.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

  4. #4
    Yeah but outside M+, you'd need a nice interrupt right?

    Or does the range and switching targets make the imp just slightly more conveniant?

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Highlord Hanibuhl View Post
    Yeah but outside M+, you'd need a nice interrupt right?
    Not really.
    In every other scenario, I go with Imp if I'm comfortable with my DPS/DPS of the mob. VW if not (for outside world content).

    Imp is still the go-to when your contribution on interrupts is not required.

  6. #6
    You don't need an interrupt most of the time in the raid or in the world, and if you desperately do then you can always use shadowfury or fear. The imp is better if you don't need to interrupt or purge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbreed View Post
    Mexico is already part of the USA so is Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalar View Post
    Shadow deserves nothing, the same as Fire Mages.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Highlord Hanibuhl View Post
    Yeah but outside M+, you'd need a nice interrupt right?

    Or does the range and switching targets make the imp just slightly more conveniant?
    Outside of M+ if your raid needs interrupts it's normally the melee's job and if you need a ranged interrupt that's what several other ranged are for. The primary problem with the Felhunter, and any melee pet, is that when you use havoc it can randomly decide to run over to the havoc target then run back which causes downtime where the melee pet is literally doing nothing. The Imp is more useful overall because even if it decides to swap to your havoc target it won't lose uptime and while the imp does attack slower, his hits are stronger to compete with the weaker hits of the pets that attack more frequently. Also the Magic Dispel the Imp provides is historically more useful than an extra interrupt in raid settings.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

    Zyky is better than you.

  8. #8
    Good feedback! Thanks all

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Highlord Hanibuhl View Post
    Yeah but outside M+, you'd need a nice interrupt right?

    Or does the range and switching targets make the imp just slightly more conveniant?
    I think the imp is just what people associate with "destruction warlock" and it's their go-to. Back in the day, the imp was actually the better pet for us boomer players in TBC/Wrath so it may just be that leftover mentality. My IRL friends are also still convinced the imp is numerically the stronger pet even after they normalized all pet damage for warlocks so I'd wager they aren't the only ones.

  10. #10
    The Lightbringer Adramalech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    3,395
    I'm going to take this thread to ask: is the Succubus included in the normalization of pet damage? I don't plan on using it, but it's good to know these things in case I find any niche scenario where I'd want to take her over the Imp or Felhunter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Nootz View Post
    I think the imp is just what people associate with "destruction warlock" and it's their go-to. Back in the day, the imp was actually the better pet for us boomer players in TBC/Wrath so it may just be that leftover mentality. My IRL friends are also still convinced the imp is numerically the stronger pet even after they normalized all pet damage for warlocks so I'd wager they aren't the only ones.
    I could see imps being ahead of doggos in spread cleave situations where kicks aren't needed from a lock, even if just barely. Theres no travel time for the imp when target swapping, whereas the doggos have to physically move to the new target.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Adramalech View Post
    I'm going to take this thread to ask: is the Succubus included in the normalization of pet damage? I don't plan on using it, but it's good to know these things in case I find any niche scenario where I'd want to take her over the Imp or Felhunter.
    I guess so... although she's also melee and seems to move even slower than the felhunter

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Highlord Hanibuhl View Post
    Yeah but outside M+, you'd need a nice interrupt right?

    Or does the range and switching targets make the imp just slightly more conveniant?
    I recall one of the bosses in Cata I had to actually go felhunter because my raid group was starting to go to crap(fell apart in Firelands while having Deaths Demise and Grand Crusader etc.) Otherwise you shouldn't need to use it in raids. Other classes are better suited for both. Honestly it should be melee level of interrupt since you need a specific pet instead it's crap cd.

  14. #14
    Need interrupt? Felhunter

    Need tank? Voidwalker

    All other times, use Imp

    It's really very easy.

  15. #15
    I have the glyph for the fel succubus, so i like using her often, but that's just me. People seem to forget she has a constant slow too.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Champagne Supernova View Post
    I have the glyph for the fel succubus, so i like using her often, but that's just me. People seem to forget she has a constant slow too.
    pretty useless considering we have curse of exhaustion now. On top of that we also have corruption slow via legendary which can be set to perm.

    Only times she was useful was back when you watched drakedog do soulfire / pvp videos

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by gaaara View Post
    pretty useless considering we have curse of exhaustion now. On top of that we also have corruption slow via legendary which can be set to perm.

    Only times she was useful was back when you watched drakedog do soulfire / pvp videos
    Guess that's true, but i like the glyph cosmetic haha. Matched my transmog. Was it MoP where every spec had a demon built around it? At least now, people can somewhat choose depending on the situation or whatnot.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Mardux View Post
    I could see imps being ahead of doggos in spread cleave situations where kicks aren't needed from a lock, even if just barely. Theres no travel time for the imp when target swapping, whereas the doggos have to physically move to the new target.
    Yeah imp is better for that reason alone. I was talking about back in wrath when destruction literally had a talent that made the imp better. My IRL friends still think that talent is baked into the class for some reason. (None of them play warlock)

  19. #19
    One thing I never see mentioned is that VW has the best dps for AoE situations, so it's actually the best choice when blowing through easy content like timewalking dungeons or anything that you're overgeared for. Heck, there is probably the occasional raid fight that VW would be the ideal demon for. Does Sun King require interrupts? I haven't tested how many targets you need in order for VW to surpass the ST pets, but I suspect it's probably 3 targets.
    Last edited by matornot; 2021-03-10 at 01:23 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •