Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Why would you ever want to Gquit such a Guild? That's amazing.
    Sounds like a super chill guild, I would gladly join them and get chill together, man

Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    If games were genuinely addictive they'd be controlled like the rest, it's why some companies face the crack of the whip over their overinvolvement of RNG chance.
    Games are genuinely addictive, though. I can't imagine how much earlier I would've quit WoW if I hadn't enjoyed the rush of endorphins I got from completing a new challenge with a group of friends. This community is a prime example of how addictive games can be.

As far as your argument about regulation (what you refer to as control), politicians are famously far behind on video game regulation and they always have been. Most governments don't even regulate content in video games (the ESRB is a self-regulatory agency created specifically so that the US government wouldn't have to intervene), with the exception of paid content that runs afoul of gambling laws.

No, games absolutely can be addictive and WoW is a key example. You can't say "If ... were addictive they'd be controlled..." because that's not the way that the law works. COVID-19 is a worldwide health pandemic, but you hopefully wouldn't agree with someone saying, "If COVID-19 were actually dangerous, we'd be requiring masks nation-wide and fining/jailing people who refuse and who spread dangerous misinformation!" I mean, COVID-19 is actually dangerous and we're not doing any of that stuff. The government doesn't deal with issues unless it benefits them and video game addiction isn't a popular enough issue among their constituents, so they don't care.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ONCHEhap View Post
    oh heck,I know what happens when you get just two high players in a feedback loop of "I'm so high right now" "I'm rolling a joint right now dude" "dude I'm smoking" "dude me too"

I don't even want to imagine it with a whole guild
    "Whazaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap"
    "Whazaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh"

Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    I can't imagine how much earlier I would've quit WoW if I hadn't enjoyed the rush of endorphins I got from completing a new challenge with a group of friends.
    Maybe I read it wrong, but perhaps you're enjoying the experience of overcoming challenges with friends rather than being addicted to WoW; WoW's just acting as the medium to accomplish that.

OT: If they kept talking about how high they were, or rolling joints, or hearing bongs, I'd quit too. If they were good players, I'd probably just not join Discord and have them kick me if they didn't want me. Depends. I certainly wouldn't put up with hearing stoner talk all raid though.

Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    Games are genuinely addictive, though. I can't imagine how much earlier I would've quit WoW if I hadn't enjoyed the rush of endorphins I got from completing a new challenge with a group of friends. This community is a prime example of how addictive games can be.

As far as your argument about regulation (what you refer to as control), politicians are famously far behind on video game regulation and they always have been. Most governments don't even regulate content in video games (the ESRB is a self-regulatory agency created specifically so that the US government wouldn't have to intervene), with the exception of paid content that runs afoul of gambling laws.

No, games absolutely can be addictive and WoW is a key example. You can't say "If ... were addictive they'd be controlled..." because that's not the way that the law works. COVID-19 is a worldwide health pandemic, but you hopefully wouldn't agree with someone saying, "If COVID-19 were actually dangerous, we'd be requiring masks nation-wide and fining/jailing people who refuse and who spread dangerous misinformation!" I mean, COVID-19 is actually dangerous and we're not doing any of that stuff. The government doesn't deal with issues unless it benefits them and video game addiction isn't a popular enough issue among their constituents, so they don't care.
    Indeed, must've missed that during my studies.
    Bluntly put: you'll want to review what addiction entails.

Also you might want to get rid of the political filter when looking at reality.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by CcB View Post
    I managed to go ~160 M Jaina attempts pre tornados nerf without making a mistake while on cannabis the whole time. Though we never made it further than the wall before I quit. I started to mess up when I tried doing it sober because it was so damn boring and grimly absurd. I think it depends on how stoned you are + the strain and how much you care about your/guilds performance instead of that drug exactly inhibiting play.
    So true
    I never did any drugs, but my fondest memories are from the time of TBC when I was raiding with a stoners. We managed to get from Karazhan to 4/5 Hyjal in 6 months before WotLK landed. Top dpsers were marihuana smokers, top healers were on hash. Tanks were on beer only to keep it going :P

Indeed, must've missed that during my studies.
    Bluntly put: you'll want to review what addiction entails.

Also you might want to get rid of the political filter when looking at reality.
    "Addiction is a biopsychosocial disorder characterized by repeated use of drugs, or repetitive engagement in a behavior such as gambling, despite harm to self and others."

When I was a hardcore raider, my friendships and romantic relationships suffered. I once refused to get off my computer to help someone that I later learned had slipped on some ice and hit their head... because I was in the middle of a raid encounter. Those things absolutely cover the "despite harm to self and others" portion and anyone who has played WoW understands that it involves "repetitive engagement in a behavior."

So, would you care to explain how, exactly, I am wrong here? As far as I can tell, I just covered literally every aspect of the definition of addiction.

Oh, and you might want to realize that the "political filter" is required when it comes to discussing issues of controlling addiction, since politics are directly involved in the laws that allow for that control... which is why I used the word "regulation", instead. There is no "control" for addictive video games that doesn't involve going through a "political filter".
    Last edited by Belloc; 2021-01-05 at 09:20 PM.
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Nah, I wouldn't quit over that, but I would quit if someone said "quitted" in guild chat.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)
    this thread is a waste of internet

Quote Originally Posted by Manaia View Post
    Maybe I read it wrong, but perhaps you're enjoying the experience of overcoming challenges with friends rather than being addicted to WoW; WoW's just acting as the medium to accomplish that.
    When I have free time later today, I'll get on my computer, load up Apex Legends, and spend an hour or two playing. If I drop into a game and immediately get killed, I'll immediately ready up for my next game. I'll keep doing this regardless of whether I'm winning or losing. Additionally, I've already finished my battle pass, so I'm literally getting no meaningful reward for my bad games.

I'll sit there and play that game for an hour or more even if I'm constantly losing. I'm not overcoming any challenges and I'm not enjoying myself, but I'm still playing. My point? It's the game itself that is addictive.
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Nothing wrong with that reasoning. Part of having a guild is having a group of people you enjoy playing with. If they're so baked they're nothing more than lumps of fat then you're just doing yourself a disservice by staying around. Find a group that wants to play the game in a way you enjoy.

Best to avoid addicts of
    any kind.
    Like, wow players for example? With YEARS of playtime in one virtual world? Yeah, I agree. Secondly, they never said anything about being addicts. Or do you consider someone to be an addict if they have 1 beer? 2 beers? 30 beers?

Op if you wanna leave just leave, it's only a game. Personally I have raised pretty challenging content with ppl high as kites, but they did their job well and didn't cause any drama, so it didn't bother anyone in the guild at all.