Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Is Warlock decent enough this season?

So my goal is the FOS 15+ Mythic every season.

My main is a warlock, only max char I have so far.

Looking into things, it seems that Affliction is in the top spots for raids and in the top 5 or so for mythic+

Last season, I could barely get invites to raids or mythic+ as a warlock.
    Being affliction was reason enough to get kicked from groups.

Ive been destro this xpac so far and top dps in every dungeon, but in the bottom in raids.
    From what i can tell, affliction is near the top for mythic+ and even higher for raids.

I got my FOS last season by making a DH. Got invited to every mythic+ group and raid. Top DPS. Never an issue.
    I would never have gotten there on my warlock. Definitly couldnt pug into high keys and barely attracted anyone to join a warlock run group.

So, is Affliction Warlock decent enough to get invited to +15 dungeons this season? Can i realistically aim for pugging all +15? Or would I be better off just cutting my losses and creating a FOV class again (looks like hunter or mage).

10+ Year Old Account
    Code:
                Affliction          Demo            Destro
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Raids         great              bad             bad
    Low m+        bad                ok              ok
    High m+       ok                 bad             bad
    Arenas        bad                bad             bad
    BGs           ok                 bad             bad

Yes. You may not be the first pick, but affliction lock is fine right now. Especially tyrannical weeks. We're good. Not the best, but not the worst either. We have a stun, an interrupt, cookies, and a gate for kiting if your tank will use it.

Edit: Affliction lock is better at high keys than destro, unless your tank is pulling 4 packs when your cooldowns are up
    Last edited by Fourlocos; 2021-01-05 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Uzkin View Post
    Code:
    Destro and Affli are not bad in PVP at all. I'd mark it ok at least.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Warning View Post
    Destro and Affli are not bad in PVP at all. I'd mark it ok at least.
    I don't PvP much personally, so for those last two rows I just used the available statistics. But I admit my PvP marks might not be entirely justified.

My assessment went like this:

2v2:
    affli 1.7% --> bad
    demo 0.2% --> bad
    destro 0.4% --> bad

RBG:
    affli 6.4% --> ok
    demo 0.2% --> bad
    destro 1.1% --> bad

Ok cool.

So the takeaway im getting from this:

I should switch to affliction for raids and mythic+.
    Raids I should have no issue with.
    Mythic+ i wont be the best but also not the worst. IE: I'll get invited if the FOV classes arent available - which, should be fine if im just aiming for +15

PVP - couldnt care less. Ill suck no matter what spec/class i play.

Quote Originally Posted by Squigglyo View Post
    So, is Affliction Warlock decent enough to get invited to +15 dungeons this season?
    No, it is not. ATM 215 ilvl and over 1k score is not enough to get invited to a +14 as a warlock. Have to push lower keys and hope the group stays or make your own. Good luck.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by burek View Post
    No, it is not. ATM 215 ilvl and over 1k score is not enough to get invited to a +14 as a warlock. Have to push lower keys and hope the group stays or make your own. Good luck.
    Through my experience this is often the case for most dps classes if you queue alone for random groups, even the „meta“ classes ( I hate the word)

Best advice as always is to find yourself a good constant group or build your own ones

7+ Year Old Account
    Code:
    Demo should be "ok" or even "good" in raids, and affliction should be "good" in high m+
    Former highend raider. Now highend moron

warlocks are fine in pvp if you know what you're doing and play the right comp/comps

Quote Originally Posted by blackbird1205 View Post
    Through my experience this is often the case for most dps classes if you queue alone for random groups, even the „meta“ classes ( I hate the word)

Best advice as always is to find yourself a good constant group or build your own ones
    This is also the case for me, which is why I have small communities and a guild to run keys. There are guilds solely dedicated to M+, so you don't even need to commit to a raid schedule if a set time scheme does not work for you.

I also had the good sense to roll DK this xpac as when I've played DK/DH it's so much easier to climb up keys than warlock because tanks and healers have it so much easier for fidning groups.

So, is Affliction Warlock decent enough to get invited to +15 dungeons this season? Can i realistically aim for pugging all +15? Or would I be better off just cutting my losses and creating a FOV class again (looks like hunter or mage).
    As always, it'll take much more effort and much more time to get invited as an off-meta class. It's not IMPOSSIBLE, but be prepared for endless frustration of people going "LF Mage" "Lust only" "Rogue PLZ" and so on.

Warlock isn't objectively terrible by any means. Affliction is quite good in high keys. But it brings too little to compete with the classes that are not only full of utility but ALSO have top-tier damage. And as always, there is such an overabundance of DPS that people can easily choose to bring the meta classes and have no real need to ever not do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Craaazyyy View Post
    warlocks are fine in pvp
    So out of touch I laughed out loud.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaWarlock View Post
    So out of touch I laughed out loud.
    i mean maybe you need to learn how to read?

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ok cool.

So the takeaway im getting from this:

I should switch to affliction for raids and mythic+.
    Raids I should have no issue with.
    Mythic+ i wont be the best but also not the worst. IE: I'll get invited if the FOV classes arent available - which, should be fine if im just aiming for +15

PVP - couldnt care less. Ill suck no matter what spec/class i play.
    youre going to disappoint yourself here
    there is currently no reason to bring a warlock to high keys over a hunter mage or boomkin

Code:

Affliction and Destruction are great for BG's I don't know what you're on about lol...

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamalam View Post
    Affliction and Destruction are great for BG's I don't know what you're on about lol...
    They are also great in arena

Wierd times to play warlock. You got amazing potential in BGs - but the ramp up time in arena is just not good for us(this season is more faceroll than BFA seasons combined).

Ive been rolling demo lock since season start(because it's fun to stand out). Im basicly a cloth tank, CC machine, but no weapons to execute the target. It's just off.
    Last edited by HansOlo; 2021-01-19 at 12:28 AM.

Raiding: Affliction is a powerhouse, you gotta leverage its spells right but the result is very consistent boss damage and excellent multi dotting as well. Dest and Demo are a bit more niche but they're not so bad as to be a problem if you're not mythic raiding.

M+ = we're not the best, but def not the worst. Demo is pretty handy in low to 15+ keys with nice burst aoe and an impactful short cd, and aff shows decent potential in higher ones where it can ramp. Dest i didn't experiment with enough to know.

BGs: I only play it casually, but i think aff could really use a "spend shards for faster dot" mechanic like Soulburn Soulswap in MoP or instant Seeds in Legion. We do good dmg if you can handle all the interrupts, but its rough if you can't, and sometimes you need to do damage faster.

Arena: Aff is surprisingly strong. Get the slowing legendary, practice your kiting and find a decent healer, and you can do well in both 2s and 3s. Night fae helps a ton for nature school and the speed increase form. Again, not the absolute best, but we can definitely shine. A solid alternative to burst meta.

10+ Year Old Account
    The OP's goal is to do +15s in time so, for reference, here's a list of how well the different classes are doing in +15s atm, from best to worst:

Monk (BEST)
    Warrior
    Rogue
    Paladin
    Demon Hunter
    Priest
    Mage
    Shaman
    Druid
    Hunter
    Death Knight
    Warlock (WORST)

Every class is well capable of doing +15s, although warlock is the worst at it.

Reference:
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/zone/st...=15&dataset=99