Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Warcraft Radio Interview with Chris Kaleiki

Warcraft Radio Interview with Chris Kaleiki
    Warcraft Radio is interviewing Chris Kaleiki, former PvP Developer and Game Designer for Shadowlands.

> The modern game has so many different ways to gear up, and the challenge for the team is that they want all of these sources to feel rewarding. However, not everything can be an upgrade or players would gear up way too fast.

It's a shame that the only way to gear up is Raiding, and the drop chance is so bad it's insane. World Quests, useless. Covenants, useless. Heroics, useless. M0, useless. M+, useless. Great Vault = 1 item. I've ran 30+ M+ and only got 2 items, one of which I already had.

> a currency for upgrades or supplemental gearing.

Dear god, PLEASE DO THIS.

> learn from past challenges and designs that didn't work out

lol yeah like that'll ever happen....

Chris says that the team would like to think that players are holistic and enjoy using all parts of the game to gear, but this isn't always the case and it's a challenge. Ultimately, it's a question for the players to answer.
    NO IT ISN'T, THIS IS LITERALLY YOUR JOB TO ANSWER.

Players have zero choice in this. I can't just decide "this week, I'll gear through World Quests", because those items - even when they're available - are absolutely useless. That's not a choice, in any meaningful way.

This is insulting.

why is it every interview keeps sounding like excuses? they keep saying they know whats better for us, try it for years, refuse to listen to feedback, and wonder why people leave.

Quote Originally Posted by sephrinx View Post
    > learn from past challenges and designs that didn't work out
    To be fair, this is one of those things that should be taken for granted and expected, even before listening to the interview lol

Next time! Next time it'll really happen, as opposed to being only PR speech.

Stood in the Fire october breeze's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    This dude and his entire so-called 'team' were humiliated and demolished by Rextroy for the whole duration of BFA.
    The incompetency of these clowns has been proven in multiple expansions.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    NO IT ISN'T, THIS IS LITERALLY YOUR JOB TO ANSWER.

Players have zero choice in this. I can't just decide "this week, I'll gear through World Quests", because those items - even when they're available - are absolutely useless. That's not a choice, in any meaningful way.

This is insulting.
    No, it's not his job to answer. He no longer works for Blizzard. And btw, when he did work for Blizzard, company policy prohibited him from saying much at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    To be fair, this is one of those things that should be taken for granted and expected, even before listening to the interview lol

How is it a PR speech when he doesn't work for Blizzard?

Do you realize that he quit the team for the stated reason that he no longer agrees with their vision for the game?

He plays more classic than retail these days.
    Subtlety Rogue was an amazing, incredible, unique, and fun spec prior to Legion and BfA

“All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.”

― Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by shoegazing View Post
    No, it's not his job to answer. He no longer works for Blizzard.
    You as in designers of the game, not that guy in particular.

How is it a PR speech when he doesn't work for Blizzard?

Do you realize that he quit the team for the stated reason that he no longer agrees with their vision for the game?

He plays more classic than retail these days.
    Downplaying the actions and decisions of a former employer isn't a new event, especially if you want to stay in good terms in the industry.

This is insulting.
    Insulted by a video game.
    Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisnumbers View Post
    Insulted by a video game.
    Yikes.
    No, insulted by people who think it's the player's responsibility to make sure the loot system is sound.

Downplaying the actions and decisions of a former employer isn't a new event, especially if you want to stay in good terms in the industry.
    Except he released a massive YouTube video when he quit explaining why he quit and that he longer agrees with most of the designers at Blizzard

Your theory about this doesn't make the slightest amount of sense. Not even one iota.

- - - Updated - - -

No, insulted by people who think it's the player's responsibility to make sure the loot system is sound.
    Chris Kaleiki worked on classes, not on the loot system......
    Subtlety Rogue was an amazing, incredible, unique, and fun spec prior to Legion and BfA

“All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.”

― Douglas Adams

Except he released a massive YouTube video when he quit explaining why he quit and that he longer agrees with most of the designers at Blizzard

Your theory about this doesn't make the slightest amount of sense. Not even one iota.

- - - Updated - - -

Chris Kaleiki worked on classes, not on the loot system......
    i mean it could if he is under the impression that he might want to come back if he can't find something to work out.

Nothing wrong with a system that has multiple choices to gear yourself. I think you're twisting words around so that you get to feel victimized.

Nothing wrong with a system that has multiple choices to gear yourself. I think you're twisting words around so that you get to feel victimized.
    I have no problem with that, if it WAS that. It's not. There has never been more pressure on people to raid, if they want good gear. World quests or whatever aren't competitive, and so it isn't a REAL choice.

I have no problem with that, if it WAS that. It's not. There has never been more pressure on people to raid, if they want good gear. World quests or whatever aren't competitive, and so it isn't a REAL choice.
    The choice is, if you want good gear, go earn it. It's always been that way. Why are you making shit up?

The choice is, if you want good gear, go earn it. It's always been that way. Why are you making shit up?
    It's not about whether there is a gap or not (there always was, as you say), it's about how large the gap is. And it's pretty damn large right now. To say players get a choice when they made the gap bigger than ever this expansion is just dishonest at best and insulting player intelligence at worst.

And yet when they had the loot system where WQs and other means were more viable people screamed like they were being insulted. They screamed when there were badges because "WE'RE FORCED TO DO IT." this player base has an issue where if there's no gear reward it might as well not exist. When there's a choice to do something to get a gear reward it is no longer a choice but blizzard putting a gun to their head demanding they do it. (Well blizzard doesn't but they act like they do.)

They've been saying this for a decade, they've still yet to follow through.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Barrage them with suggestions on what we want the game to look like? Got it.