View Poll Results: Should Congress Impeach Trump Again?

Voters
216. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

194 89.81%
  • No

22 10.19%
Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    So, either McConnell is just getting in Trump's head right now, OR he told Pelosi to go ahead and string the Bastard up. Which I could totally see happening when they got run out of the capital. I can only imagine how mad McConnell was about being forced to flee the Capital building, and I could definitely see him telling Pelosi to go ahead and impeach, and he would deliver the conviction.

It does make a lot of sense to me if true. I am not sure if Pelosi would bother without McConnells support. I am still not holding my breath, but if that is what happened then I ABSOLUTELY support this impeachment. I was somewhat against it when I thought it was a pointless exercise, but if McConnell actually intends to convict, I am going to enjoy the hell out of that.
    There is something to consider above - how fucking pissed McConnell is with what happened to his Senate chamber, and how easy (and accurate) it is to lay the entire blame on Trump. It could be the event that will turn the tide.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    On the one hand I agree with you. On the other, the Republicans convicting Trump in the senate would lead to serious infighting within the Republican party because Trump's cult makes up a sizable portion of their voter base.
    And this is probably the biggest issue they are considering/discussion. Carving up the pie that is the Trump Fundraising Machine, and more importantly if it can be carved up. Hawley might be gunning for that money with his Objections and continued conspiracy theories. If he can survive the unrest in Kansas, he would be in a prime position to run in 2024; with Trump constitutionally ineligible and a reasonable portion of the Trump Insane Cult (hereinafter TIC).

A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    There is something to consider above - how fucking pissed McConnell is with what happened to his Senate chamber, and how easy (and accurate) it is to lay the entire blame on Trump. It could be the event that will turn the tide.
    Well that was half of McConnell's terrible day. Trump also singlehandedly cost him two Georgia Senate seats and the Senate Majority on the same day. There are very few things McConnell loves more then his majority. Trump cost him that by insisting the Georgia election was fraudulent. Getting run off the senate floor by a mob of angry Trump supporters was the cherry on the top of a spectacularly shitty day for Mitch McConnell.

We know he was absolutely furious. He drug congress back to work and kept them all night to certify the election. He apparently browbeat the dissenters so hard that 5 of them changed their minds about betraying the country. I wouldn't be surprised if he also agreed to convict Trump that day.
    "We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China. We have it under control. It’s going to be just fine." DJT- Jan 22, 2020
    "And again, when you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that’s a pretty good job we’ve done." DJT- Feb 26, 2020
    “It’s going to disappear. One day — it’s like a miracle — it will disappear.” DJT- Feb 27, 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    That would sting actually... I did not think of that... On the other hand, Trump’s 2020 merch is still selling, judging by his audiences. Which is... special... very... special...
    Those people will go their graves saying that Trump won the election.

Some of them may go sooner than others.

I grew up in the rural southeast. A significant number of people I knew over the years genuinely wanted the confederacy to return. So yeah, some folks are probably going to hold onto all of this for a long time.

Although, I don't think it will be on the level of the confederacy. Over the next few years a tremendous amount of damaging information will come out about the Trumps and it will peel off many supporters.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    As much as i do not like Mitch McConnell... I don't believe he'd let emotion dictate his response. He's a snake...but he's not stupid.

McConnell has wanted Trump gone from Day 1. He was willing to use Trump to stack the courts...but now that Trump has lost them both the Presidency and Control of the Senate...he's got no more use for him. On top of that, the capitol hill attack is not trending well for Republicans....and Mitch wants to hang all that blame on Trump and kick him to the curb.

Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    I grew up in the rural southeast. A significant number of people I knew over the years genuinely wanted the confederacy to return. So yeah, some folks are probably going to hold onto all of this for a long time.

Although, I don't think it will be on the level of the confederacy. Over the next few years a tremendous amount of damaging information will come out about the Trumps and it will peel off many supporters.
    And this ties nicely into my arcing theme that the United States will continue to walk directly away from their best interests because of this historical education that is passed down from generation to generation. There is no education solution and society will continue to group around people of like minds. We are generations away from being able to eschew the deep seated racism that dwells amongst many in this country.

I'm not sure he'll lose his core supporters though - those that hang on past his insurrection. Any new facts will be willfully ignored just as they always have been. IMO the only way Trumpism dies is with Trump stroking out (or whatever).

People are giving too much credit to McConnell. This information comes shortly after we learn that corporations are stopping donations. Now I don't for a second think corporations are going to stop donating for long, but I do imagine they made threats about who they are going to donate to. They could start throwing heavy support behind conservative democrats or decent human beings like Mitt Romney and functionally create their own party.

Also apparently the security updates being given to the Senate aren't just vague threats, but seem to contain very specific planned attacks and what did the news say... "Rules of engagement" I believe is what they said for targets and such. I wonder what his designation was in the security reports and what impact that plays on his decision?

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Now I almost don't want it to happen, prevent the Republican effort to save face, they're already re-writing their personal histories as it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    On the one hand I agree with you. On the other, the Republicans convicting Trump in the senate would lead to serious infighting within the Republican party because Trump's cult makes up a sizable portion of their voter base.
    The US is in this shit precisely because you like to play your political games instead of doing the right thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    The US is in this shit precisely because you like to play your political games instead of doing the right thing.
    Exactly. All the Republicans probably hate Trump and the way he acts and consider it bad for the country but they are unwilling to give up the power he amassed in their name.

Sad.

Lol people always falling for "McConnell rumored to do something reasonable."
    Also, people falling for an Axios Rumor.

Yesterday: "AXIOS LEAK: Mitch McConnell 'leaning towards maybe supporting impeachment........at the start of the Biden presidency.......when he will come up with some excuse to vote no.'

Today: McConnell’s office called Schumer’s people today + told them McConnell would not consent to reconvening immediately under the 2004 emergency authorities, a person familiar says. So the Senate won’t reconvene Friday, or almost certainly before Jan. 19. Trial in Biden term

Very Online people.

Quote Originally Posted by PresidentElectMilchschake View Post

Yesterday: "AXIOS LEAK: Mitch McConnell 'leaning towards maybe supporting impeachment........at the start of the Biden presidency.......when he will come up with some excuse to vote no.'

Today: McConnell’s office called Schumer’s people today + told them McConnell would not consent to reconvening immediately under the 2004 emergency authorities, a person familiar says. So the Senate won’t reconvene Friday, or almost certainly before Jan. 19. Trial in Biden term

Very Online people.
    Forgetting that gigantic pieces of shit are still gigantic pieces of shit at the end of the day.

It's like all the Josh Hawley stans that are trying to pretend they weren't big fans of his a few weeks back.

Or like, anyone believing the 4 years of, "Anonymous aides say that Republicans are very angry with Trump and don't like him at all and want to get rid of him and he's just so bad." followed by literally 4 years of inaction from the Republican party on just about anything to challenge or check Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Forgetting that gigantic pieces of shit are still gigantic pieces of shit at the end of the day.

It's like all the Josh Hawley stans that are trying to pretend they weren't big fans of his a few weeks back.

Or like, anyone believing the 4 years of, "Anonymous aides say that Republicans are very angry with Trump and don't like him at all and want to get rid of him and he's just so bad." followed by literally 4 years of inaction from the Republican party on just about anything to challenge or check Trump.
    In fairness, losing their corporate sponsors is what got Fox to can O'Reily. There's no reason to think that the same wouldn't happen here if the GOP loses too many sources of income.

You have to remember that these tools care more about their paycheck than anything else, except maybe Graham who's always looking for a new top to submit to.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    The problem is that their party exists only by merit of a flimsy net woven of gerrymandering, lock-step politics, voter suppression and a shrinking demographic base so that they are always “waiting for the polls.”

This should be a political reckoning for the GOP internally. Assessing what they were complicit in and how they could stoop so low in support of Trump. But no; I can say with fair confidence the only thing they are currently thinking about is how to pull Trump’s cultists back into their voting base and how they’re going to make Biden’s presidency as difficult as possible, eyeing what gains they can make in 2022 and how best to obstruct and blame the democrats until then.
    The GOP is going to splinter it's really the Trump party now even out of office his cult will continue and they are angry at republicans for not making Trump dictator for life. They have painted themselves into a corner it's exactly as the title of that book says everything Trump touches dies.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    The GOP is going to splinter it's really the Trump party now even out of office his cult will continue and they are angry at republicans for not making Trump dictator for life. They have painted themselves into a corner it's exactly as the title of that book says everything Trump touches dies.
    Would be nice if this ended up being what causes the US to have three major political parties. Not holding my breath though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Senate isn't even voting until after Biden is sworn in, so it's a moot hypothetical.
    I posted what before the vote and that story came out. But you are right.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    The odds of having 4 US Presidents in 8 days is exactly zero.

For one thing, the chance of the Senate voting on its trial before the 20th is also zero, which prevents the first step from happening. The 25th amendment wouldn't actually make Pence president, it only makes him acting President, Trump would still be President, just unable to execute any of the powers of the office.

So the only theoretical chance of that happening is if Trump and Pence both resigned, and why on earth would they do that?
    Other than screwing over Pelosi nothing really. Fun thought exercise. I posted that before the Senate not coming back story broke.

Quote Originally Posted by PresidentElectMilchschake View Post

Very Online people.
    Also don't for a second believe a single thing Murkowski says. "i want witnesses" votes no witnesses "no SCOTUS replacement before election" votes to confirm acb "I am very mad at trump" will probably vote to acquit. The only people I think will vote to kick him out are Romney. Sasse slightly less confident, but he's the next closest, and have no belief any of the rest will, but do I hope to be wrong.

Romney don't give a shit, but as someone said it's all about how much donor money they're potentially to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Would be nice if this ended up being what causes the US to have three major political parties. Not holding my breath though.
    The way our electoral system is set up is what causes us to only have two major political parties. If one of them split, all it would accomplish is two parties cannibalizing each other's votes while the third takes most of the wins, until one of the first two emerges as the dominant option.

It's been that way basically since Washington declined to run for re-election. Back then it was the Federalists and the Democratic-Republicans. The Democratic-Republicans eventually became the Democrats, and the Federalists were replaced by the National Republicans, who were replaced by the Whigs, who were replaced by the Republicans. Even when Teddy Roosevelt left the Republican Party to run under the Bull Moose Party, his popularity only ended up splitting the vote and giving the win to the Democrats.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Does she keep her Congressional seat after the 20th? Do we get a new speaker?
    Just for the sake of argument, if the President and Vice President both vacated their offices and the Speaker of the House was promoted to the Presidency, she would indeed be forced to resign from the House and they would subsequently vote for a new Speaker. You can't serve in both the Executive and Legislative branches at the same time. It's the same reason why Kamala Harris will be required to resign from the Senate before being sworn in as Vice President.
    Last edited by DarkTZeratul; 2021-01-14 at 12:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    They’re already doing that. ‘Unity!’ Where was unity when they were all showing their fascist colours...
    Pretty much. Seems the insurrectionists had a lot of inside help from many Republican officials. Now that their little insurrection failed, they're like the villain that's been caught after attempting and failing to murder someone (in this case democracy) and they're cowering in a corner meekly asking "Peace?"
    "Nazis are like cats. If they like you, it's probably because you're feeding them." -John Oliver
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    I don't care if he committed tax fraud. Scoring political victories and crushing the aspirations of your political opponents is more important than adhering to moral principles.
    Knadra finally just admitting Trumpkins care more about political victories than morals.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    Pretty much. Seems the insurrectionists had a lot of inside help from many Republican officials. Now that their little insurrection failed, they're like the villain that's been caught after attempting and failing to murder someone (in this case democracy) and they're cowering in a corner meekly asking "Peace?"
    That's a little incorrect 140 house republicans and 6 senators are still claiming the election was stolen so in this case the villain is still trying to kill you while asking for a hug.

Breaking News: A House majority voted to impeach President Trump a historic second time. He is charged with “inciting violence against the government.”

Democrats went 222-0 today.

It didn't happen in 1868, in 1998, or in 2019. Tulsi, the congress person from Putin, voted "not present" in 2019. This is why Tulsi and her onlyfans are so sus.

Imagine having more impeachments than presidential terms.