Keyboard Turner

Lightbulb Should i build a game development PC or Buy a Pre-build one?

I have been contemplating building a PC for my game development endeavours. There are so many inconsistencies with compatible PC Parts which got me looking into buying a pre-built PC. Can anyone recommend a resource that can help me find the right parts before I decide on building a PC or buying a pre-built one?

Quote Originally Posted by Biggfiner View Post
    I have been contemplating building a PC for my game development endeavours. There are so many inconsistencies with compatible PC Parts which got me looking into buying a pre-built PC. Can anyone recommend a resource that can help me find the right parts before I decide on building a PC or buying a pre-built one?
    Same thing here, honestly it's just such a hassle that i just keep going like "meh, i'll do it some other time".
    I'mma just use my current computer 'till it gives out.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Respect all, submit to none.

Can anyone recommend a resource that can help me find the right parts
    Have you looked in the Computer subsection of the forums, where this thread would be a better fit?

Have you tried Pcpartpicker.com ?

Keyboard Turner
    Yes, I have tried it but the guides there are focused on gaming PCs. I am looking more at a workstation PC.

Yes, I have tried it but the guides there are focused on gaming PCs. I am looking more at a workstation PC.
    So you skipped the computer forum for being too gaming-focused and went straight to the MMO-game focused section? And why do you care about PC building? You're advertising a website in your profile about PC-building you cheeky advertiser!
    Last edited by Calfredd; 2021-01-08 at 03:04 PM.
    Expansion leak claiming Legion is the last expansion
    Quote Originally Posted by golds
    NO it will be me laughing at how you doubted this....
    I was right

Keyboard Turner
    I really am considering buying a prebuilt workstation PC like the HP Z6. but, if I can find a good source for building a work station PC in 2021 then ill consider that.

Not that this thread smells like anything other than a weird advert but...

The difference between a "workstation" and a "gaming PC" is a graphics card.

Since you're after a workstation for game development, just buy a gaming PC. They're the same thing.

So you're a writer at a website where "we help consumers find or build the best pc for their needs" but you need help building a pc for yourself?

How far are you in your game development journey? You can get started with just a basic gaming PC nothing special. Once your project actually grows and you start to have tons of stuff in it the PC starts to matter more.

Quote Originally Posted by Viikkis View Post
    How far are you in your game development journey? You can get started with just a basic gaming PC nothing special. Once your project actually grows and you start to have tons of stuff in it the PC starts to matter more.
    I know you're giving the benefit of the doubt but his profile is advertising a pc-building help website.
    I was right

Keyboard Turner
    Not super far but the game design is complete. I want something that will sustain the project. I don't want to have to keep swapping PC as it may slow down my progress.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Viikkis View Post
    Not super far but the game design is complete. I want something that will sustain the project. I don't want to have to keep swapping PC as it may slow down my progress.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    I know you're giving the benefit of the doubt but his profile is advertising a pc-building help website.
    I don't think you should add to this thread if you have no valid answers buddy

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    Not that this thread smells like anything other than a weird advert but...

The difference between a "workstation" and a "gaming PC" is a graphics card.

Since you're after a workstation for game development, just buy a gaming PC. They're the same thing.
    Gaming GPU are not the same as Workstation GPU. Quadro cards offer more features ... I currently have a gaming PC but an upgrade is essential at this point

Here's something helpful then: Wrong forum "buddy"! Here's the right one. Computer Build / Upgrade Help

You're the sole writer for your website that focuses on pc-building help so I don't understand why you came to the WoW-related forums to ask for help.
    I was right

So he can write an article about it

Building for yourself is so very worth it.
    @thwart <- don't click this and learn his shame
    Newsflash: 2016 Thwart would hate 2019 Thwart! Definitely don't click this either!

We see you.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I am absolutely a jerk, a complete cunt. But I encourage you to rise above.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Gaming GPU are not the same as Workstation GPU. Quadro cards offer more features ... I currently have a gaming PC but an upgrade is essential at this point
    What are you planning on doing that would require a Quadro?

Gain complete control over your PC Build with Cyberpower. Our computer experts are here to help custom-build a PC to your unique preference and budget.