View Poll Results: Should Parler be deplatformed?

Voters
172. You may not vote on this poll
  • No.

    58 33.72%
  • Yes.

    114 66.28%
Page 46 of 78 FirstFirst ...
36
44
45
46
47
48
56
... LastLast
  1. #901
    Titan Lenonis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    13,428
    Quote Originally Posted by Krakan View Post
    I don't agree with the idea that corporations should have a monopoly on speech.
    This is a stupid talking point. Nothing - absolutely nothing is stopping Trump for holding a press conference to air whatever vapid thoughts are tumbling around his head. And immediately it would be broadcast on news channels and livestreamed on YouTube, Twitter, etc.

    There is no monopoly on speech. The very fact we're having this conversation here, and that places like Parler and Gab exist prove that.

  2. #902
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    65,749
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    No, it’s like telling people to host their own server... you know... like millions do every day... like I did at 15... This comparison is due to ignorance of IT... something your pundits don’t tell you... why is that? Why don’t they tell you that even a 15 year old can host their own social media site, for about 35 bucks a month. (Static IP, domain name, in 2021, you don’t even pay for zone file hosting, it’s part of domain hosting)
    In all seriousness, if The Pirate Bay can stay up and active with only brief shutdowns, when their content is literally illegal in most countries, then Parler's administration has no excuse but laziness and incompetence.

  3. #903
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    That part is irrelavent. Point still remains and you know this which is why you are pulling this stupid shit instead of answering.
    How dare you point out the most obvious rebuttal to my talking point ~ orange joe 2021

  4. #904
    The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    001100010010011110100001101101110011
    Posts
    20,034
    Quote Originally Posted by Krakan View Post
    How dare you point out the most obvious rebuttal to my talking point ~ orange joe 2021
    How dare I point out something is irrelevant..... Whats this world coming to?


    Anyways, as I knew. You don't really want an honest discussion. Have fun
    I have a fan. Seems he was permabanned.
    Yo, don't mind my "street talk"

  5. #905
    Quote Originally Posted by wunksta View Post
    Twitter is hosted on servers and in order to access those servers and use their services, you have to agree to their rules. This isn't complicated.
    Right... what seems to confuse people is I am suggesting that speech protections be moved beyond that to wrestle away that control from major corporations. It feels like people are waiting for me to use a talking point and when I fail to just go with the counter talking point even though it no longer applies..

  6. #906
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    65,749
    Quote Originally Posted by Krakan View Post
    Right... what seems to confuse people is I am suggesting that speech protections be moved beyond that to wrestle away that control from major corporations. It feels like people are waiting for me to use a talking point and when I fail to just go with the counter talking point even though it no longer applies..
    Any attempt to wrest that control from those corporations is a deliberate attack on property rights, freedom of association, and freedom of speech.

    Their property rights because it's their property you're trying to control the use of.
    Their freedom of association because you're mandating who they do business with.
    Their freedom of speech because what's posted through their services is, fundamentally, that corporation's speech, in part.

    It isn't a defense of anyone's rights.

  7. #907
    Void Lord Felya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    the other
    Posts
    56,566
    @Krakan

    You have inspired me... I got a pi zero w for 10$ and a USB hat for it for 10$... I think my project will be creating a portable social media server... I think I have a 32 gig card laying around somewhere...



    You think I can do it?
    As above, so below.
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    My body is a wonderland.

  8. #908
    Quote Originally Posted by Krakan View Post
    Right... what seems to confuse people is I am suggesting that speech protections be moved beyond that to wrestle away that control from major corporations. It feels like people are waiting for me to use a talking point and when I fail to just go with the counter talking point even though it no longer applies..
    Except you arent entitled to a social media soapbox. If you dont the speech to be "controlled", then dont use it.

  9. #909
    Void Lord Felya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    the other
    Posts
    56,566
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    In all seriousness, if The Pirate Bay can stay up and active with only brief shutdowns, when their content is literally illegal in most countries, then Parler's administration has no excuse but laziness and incompetence.
    You can do it on a raspberry pi...
    As above, so below.
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    My body is a wonderland.

  10. #910
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    @Krakan

    You have inspired me... I got a pi zero w for 10$ and a USB hat for it for 10$... I think my project will be creating a portable social media server... I think I have a 32 gig card laying around somewhere...



    You think I can do it?
    Rivial the major companies in a realistic way and sure?

    Again my argument comes down to reach if you can shut people out of the market and restrict what they can do on the available platforms you in turn wield the ability to control speech.

    Nothing about your weird argument applies to that.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Timester View Post
    Except you arent entitled to a social media soapbox. If you dont the speech to be "controlled", then dont use it.
    Again please read my posts.

  11. #911
    The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    001100010010011110100001101101110011
    Posts
    20,034
    Quote Originally Posted by Krakan View Post
    snip
    TIL Twitter is the only place I can talk.
    I have a fan. Seems he was permabanned.
    Yo, don't mind my "street talk"

  12. #912
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    TIL Twitter is the only place I can talk.
    I actually feel kind of bad for you. You are now actually trying to hide quotable lines to desperately get the last word in...

  13. #913
    Quote Originally Posted by Krakan View Post
    Right... what seems to confuse people is I am suggesting that speech protections be moved beyond that to wrestle away that control from major corporations. It feels like people are waiting for me to use a talking point and when I fail to just go with the counter talking point even though it no longer applies..
    If Congress wants to pass a law protecting speech on corporate platforms, they can do that. An example is FCC fairness doctrine. However, the GOP has been actively trying to do away with stuff like Section 230 which actually enables more freedom of speech on the internet. The problem is that all of these complaints are simply people angry that think their side is being unfairly punished when it's people who have violated policies they agreed to.

    If there is a concern of corporations dominating the market then Congress should investigate for monopolies. But all of these complaints about Parler and Twitter users being banned are without merit since they violated the policies they agreed to. Even if there was some kind of legislation to protect political speech on corporate platforms, it's unlikely that it would have any impact in this case since these issues were regarding posts advocating violence.

  14. #914
    The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    001100010010011110100001101101110011
    Posts
    20,034
    Quote Originally Posted by Krakan View Post
    I actually feel kind of bad for you. You are now actually trying to hide quotable lines to desperately get the last word in...
    Wait. You think that is hiding them even though there is a direct link to your full quote? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    I have a fan. Seems he was permabanned.
    Yo, don't mind my "street talk"

  15. #915
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    65,749
    Quote Originally Posted by Krakan View Post
    Again my argument comes down to reach if you can shut people out of the market and restrict what they can do on the available platforms you in turn wield the ability to control speech.
    Freedom of speech has never included any entitlement to any kind of "reach" in any respect, ever.

    It was the right to stand in the street and shout into the sky without legal consequence. That's it. That's the limit of the "reach" you're entitled to.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Wait. You think that is hiding them even though there is a direct link to your full quote? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Does he not know the little blue arrow tag leads people right back to the post you're quoting, so they can read it in full?

  16. #916
    Everytime people whinny about free speech, just a reminder that most of the conspiracy theorists on the right are STILL on Twitter. Right from your Andy Ngos to your Candace Owens to your Comicsgate freaks like Ethan Van Sciver. Twitter has banned the most obviously dangerous ones. The rest of the psychos are still doing what they do. So the pearl clutching is getting old and sad as fuck.

  17. #917
    Void Lord Felya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    the other
    Posts
    56,566
    Quote Originally Posted by Krakan View Post
    Rivial the major companies in a realistic way and sure?
    What? I’ve worked at major companies... you have used content I worked on. I’m not sure what a person that seems to know nothing about IT, can say about technology they are not aware of being realistic. It is realistic... millions do it every day... realism in this regard, is completely beholden to your ignorance of IT... I hope no politician or pundit prays on said ignorance of IT...

    Again my argument comes down to reach if you can shut people out of the market and restrict what they can do on the available platforms you in turn wield the ability to control speech.
    What reach? Freedom of speech does not entitle you to an audience and putting government as the regulator, will not help you. Imagine if Trump isn’t president next week... imagine it’s a democrat and they control all of federal government... what would happen to conservative voices, when democrats regulate social media? Imagine such a thing... what audience are they going to get, with democrats regulating them? Just scream freedom... that’s all your argument is...

    Nothing about your weird argument applies to that.
    Yeah, explaining how shit works, so you are not as susceptible to lying, is weird... imagine if you actually knew what you were talking about... the horror your favorite pundits and politicians must feel at that thought... what if their listeners knew better... the horror...
    As above, so below.
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    My body is a wonderland.

  18. #918
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    65,749
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    Everytime people whinny about free speech, just a reminder that most of the conspiracy theorists on the right are STILL on Twitter. Right from your Andy Ngos to your Candace Owens to your Comicsgate freaks like Ethan Van Sciver. Twitter has banned the most obviously dangerous ones. The rest of the psychos are still doing what they do. So the pearl clutching is getting old and sad as fuck.
    Like that one Qanon nutcase member of Congress yesterday, wearing a facemask saying "CENSORED", who was literally being given a microphone and a time alottment to speak her piece, which was broadcast internationally in realtime.

    Totally censored.

    These people have no clue what the word actually means. They're just angry that they're being held to account for their own poor behaviour.

  19. #919
    Quote Originally Posted by Krakan View Post
    Sure let me go into twitter and buy some milk and bread...

    You don't really grasp the conversation if you believe a corporation deciding what is and isn't acceptable speech on one of the largest platforms is akin to chain store.

    I would argue your so far out to lunch that you are a detriment to the conversation. I would argue there is good cause to go about expanding the right to free speech to better account for what has changed rather then trying to use it as a club to restrict the average person.
    You realise that the "free speech " that is being restricted here is incitement to violence, something that generally isn't covered by free speech laws, particularly in the US.

  20. #920
    Titan Lenonis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    13,428
    Quote Originally Posted by Krakan View Post
    I actually feel kind of bad for you. You are now actually trying to hide quotable lines to desperately get the last word in...
    Why are you attacking his freedom of speech?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •