Poll: Should Parler be deplatformed?

Page 52 of 75 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Dreadlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Great, then there's no issue with those companies taking them out of their stores. All the bitching about "free speech" is a lie, thanks for agreeing!!!
    Just saying you cant deplatform when its easy for someone to install the application still even if the application isnt in google store.
    "We Choose Truth over Facts" - Joe Biden
    "You're too old to vote for me" - Joe Biden

We need to completely demolish MAGAFT

Quote Originally Posted by js3915 View Post
    Just saying you cant deplatform when its easy for someone to install the application still even if the application isnt in google store.
    It is still deplatforming, they simply have other platforms in which to use. That shows this wasn't an attempt to silence them, but to simply opt to not do business with Nazis.

Thanks for agreeing that the Trumpsters are wrong!!!

Dreadlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    They'd have to find hosting first (sounds like they have?). And then figure out how to add the file to their site which...I believe is still down and has dogshit security apparently.

And then hope the kind of people smart enough to film their faces and identify themselves while committing federal crimes are smart enough to figure out how to download and install a .apk file

That's asking a lot of these folks, probably too much.
    Hosting is easy 100's of hosting sites out there though amazon is by far one the better ones for a large scale deployment

You would be suprised how smart some dumbasses are. And its not hard to google search sideloading android roms and plenty of instructions

rebuilding the site is the problem its expensive if they dont have the code. Though they are welcome to pay me i would charge them 500,000/hour base minimum 100 hours. Bout time i find a retirement gig.
    "We Choose Truth over Facts" - Joe Biden
    "You're too old to vote for me" - Joe Biden

We need to completely demolish MAGAFT

Hosting is easy 100's of hosting sites out there though amazon is by far one the better ones for a large scale deployment
    Hosting isn't the only problem

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN29I2Z7
    Matze said, “It’s hard to keep track of how many people are telling us that we can no longer do business with them.”

He said Parler had also been booted from online payments service Stripe and had lost its Scylla Enterprise database as well as access to Twilio Inc and Slack Technologies Inc, a popular workplace messaging app. He also said it had been ditched by American Express Co, but the company said it did not have a direct merchant relationship with Parler.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    like the more interesting questions are if trump had won would they have banned him and why dont they ban people from non english speaking countries as pro actively, Duterte, Bolsonaro etc
    That second question I mentioned the other day in a post in this thread. It's what's pisses me off. Brazil judge made a ruling that facebook and twitter needed to ban a bunch of bolsonaro representitives for inciting violence against judges, and while both companies eventually did, it was only after they fought the ruling, stating "free speech." This was like just 3 months ago. All this is, is PR bullshit to placate American's. They aren't actually against the shit trump and his supporters say. In other countries they aren't against violent or hate speech.
    Last edited by beanman12345; 2021-01-15 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    So why not just use their incredible ability to censor whoever they want to determine the outcome of the election? Why leave it up to chance?
    They did put their hand on the scale - remember Hunter Biden story being suppressed?

Sure, it didn't look like particularly trustworthy story - but previous elections left that for voters to decide.

If they're so good at silencing their opposition and controlling the message, why jump through hoops and show fealty to one side or the other?
    They are "good" at it as long as they are allowed to - and they are allowed to as long as they do it for the winning side.

Remember, it's oligarchy - none of them have total control; but each of them has quite significant chunk of it.

I mean, if big tech is so in charge, why are they showing fealty to anyone?
    Because every bit that allows to get ahead of others helps in politics - money and appeasement are better then money alone.
    Last edited by Shalcker; 2021-01-15 at 09:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Sure, it didn't look like particularly trustworthy story
    People who aren't partisan shills calls this "good journalism/moderation"
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

They did put their hand on the scale - remember Hunter Biden story being suppressed?

Sure, it didn't look like particularly trustworthy story - but previous elections left that for voters to decide.
    It's almost like there was an election in recent history where social media companies failed to actively police misinformation and were raked over the coals for that failure, and this was part of their response to more actively seek out and combat misinformation.

They are "good" at it as long as they are allowed to - and they are allowed to as long as they do it for the winning side.
    Hey, if some far-left rag puts out a SENSATIONAL report that Pence is secretly a gay bottom and Trump pounds him in the ass every night leading into the election and social media companies took similar action, I don't think you'd find much crying.

Remember, it's oligarchy - none of them have total control; but each of them has quite significant chunk of it.

Because both money and appeasement helps in politics.
    Cool, maybe the Republican party should start supporting campaign finance reform so that they don't have to worry so much about those evil social media companies funding their campaigns and then turning around and censoring them?

It's almost like there was an election in recent history where social media companies failed to actively police misinformation and were raked over the coals for that failure, and this was part of their response to more actively seek out and combat misinformation.
    Which circles back to my appeasement to winners point.

It's not like Facebook didn't cowtow to Republicans while they were ahead either.

Hey, if some far-left rag puts out a SENSATIONAL report that Pence is secretly a gay bottom and Trump pounds him in the ass every night leading into the election and social media companies took similar action, I don't think you'd find much crying.
    But they wouldn't.

Some people still believe in existence of "pee tapes".

Cool, maybe the Republican party should start supporting campaign finance reform so that they don't have to worry so much about those evil social media companies funding their campaigns and then turning around and censoring them?
    I'd rather have them support antitrust action.
    Last edited by Shalcker; 2021-01-16 at 08:46 AM.

https://www.newsweek.com/aoc-omar-tw...mp-ban-1561917

OH GOD THIS IS SO GOOD!

A patriotic snowflake is suing Twitter and Ilhan Omar/Ocasio-Cortez over...Trump being banned from Twitter.

He has suffered "overbearing pain and suffering."

Imagine how fuckin pathetic you gotta be to suffer because someone can't shitpost on Twitter anymore. Bonus points for the casual my soggy knee and racism present in naming Omar and Ocasio-Cortez in the lawsuit because...I honestly don't know why other than he's probably mad neither will sleep with him or something.

https://www.newsweek.com/aoc-omar-tw...mp-ban-1561917

OH GOD THIS IS SO GOOD!

A patriotic snowflake is suing Twitter and Ilhan Omar/Ocasio-Cortez over...Trump being banned from Twitter.

He has suffered "overbearing pain and suffering."

Imagine how fuckin pathetic you gotta be to suffer because someone can't shitpost on Twitter anymore. Bonus points for the casual my soggy knee and racism present in naming Omar and Ocasio-Cortez in the lawsuit because...I honestly don't know why other than he's probably mad neither will sleep with him or something.

You may have buried the lead:

Last year, Estavillo sued Twitch over masturbation injuries allegedly caused by "scantily clad gamers" on the platform.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    like their verification (that led to the hack) the provider dropped them and they didnt bother having it anymore.
    That verification thing, is not possible. If verification server is down, you don’t just get let into the site. The world press angle is far more likely...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
    Censorship is censorship especially when it comes to censoring political opposition. Surely you can't be this stupid? Then again..you did think you were clever with the triple facepalm nonsense.
    [Infraction]
    you can't even get past the first 3 words without being wrong. Its only been explained for 50+ pages so far.

Sorry maybe the triple facepalm was not enough, maybe you really did qualify for the mass facepalm.

- - - Updated - - -

Because every bit that allows to get ahead of others helps in politics - money and appeasement are better then money alone.
    LOL hunter Biden....suppressed.

OK so we can say the NY Post has suppressed oh about 100 things they never reported on regarding Trump?
    This is the VERY LAST paper you should be using as an example on suppression.
    You should see their reporting on the insurrection.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    1) I'm aware of Libertarian claptrap that treats a ToS as some kind of scripture. I am questioning the legitimacy of a monopoly with power.
    2) Never let a crisis go to waste?
    3) Sorry what?
    4) In a world where Liberals have privatized everything, in an Oligarchy all censorship is State Censorship.

wait i am sorry, who is a monopoly?
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    Twitter has a monopoly on Twitter users. That's super unfair to Twitter users.

Why exactly do you make this assumption?

The decision, based on that, is driven purely by political forces. Market didn't change from that single event in any way; politics did.

Jack makes no mentions of being pressured to drop Trump or losing advertisements ("market") anywhere he explains his decision, and neither does Amazon.

Except they only dropped small most odious ones and still happily contribute to bigger ones.
    Because it isn't an assumption, @Kathranis is right. They were financially motivated. Same reason as why the bans are happening.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like the... “Liberals privatize everything”... remember when social media was public? Remember when large scale cloud hosting was ran by the government? Those were the days?

- - - Updated - - -

You would be suprised how smart some dumbasses are. And its not hard to google search sideloading android roms and plenty of instructions
    On most android phones, you can permit unsigned app installs under Settings -> Dev tools. Something like that... it’s been years...

rebuilding the site is the problem its expensive if they dont have the code. Though they are welcome to pay me i would charge them 500,000/hour base minimum 100 hours. Bout time i find a retirement gig.
    What? Why wouldn’t they have the code?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

LOL hunter Biden....suppressed.
    You should try reading the article to see how it's relevant to this thread.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Because it isn't an assumption, @Kathranis is right. They were financially motivated. Same reason as why the bans are happening.
    They are also politically motivated as @Edge- notes.

It isn't one or another; they can do both.

My take - Social Media companies, most notably facebook and twitter, have spent years unwittingly stoking political hatred and divide. Now they have unleashed a beast and the people in charge have no idea how to tame it. The majority of these moves they are making aren't going to undo anything they are just going to create more division and hatred.

Solution - People need to wake up and start listening to the likes of Jaron Lanier who has been warning us of this for a couple of years now. Delete your social media and stop being a commodity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by caractacus View Post
    Solution - People need to wake up and start listening to the likes of Jaron Lanier who has been warning us of this for a couple of years now. Delete your social media and stop being a commodity.
    This is about 5 years old... and this is millennial hipsters... here are better reasons to delete your Facebook, than anything to do with politics. The microchip conspiracy theorist actually have a point, they just don’t seem to grasp that we willingly carry the chip... we spend money to carry the chip... no implant needed... unlimited data plan is just 40$.

15+ Year Old Account
    They are also politically motivated as @Edge- notes.

It isn't one or another; they can do both.
    Only in so far as these bans were a result of public outcry over a right wing insurgency.

If you think these massive, publicly-traded companies are doing anything out of sincere left wing activism, you're either naive or arguing in bad faith. They've had the opportunity to silence the right wing rhetoric and shape the narrative for over a decade now, yet they let it fester. They only acted after their platforms have been implicated in helping foment a terrorist attack.

Nevermind that Trump was given warning after warning, second chance after second chance. It's not like we didn't all see this coming. Guy spent two months incessantly posting content that needed to be moderated and debunked. Same for Powell and Pillow and most of these other people peddling outright lies.