View Poll Results: Should Parler be deplatformed?

Voters
176. You may not vote on this poll
  • No.

    61 34.66%
  • Yes.

    115 65.34%
Page 71 of 78 FirstFirst ...
21
61
69
70
71
72
73
... LastLast
  1. #1401
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    HAHAHAHAHA get rekt son. It's like Parler broke the contract or something. @Zan15 said it best.
    Hey Alexa (I don't know the actual way to make it go on, I don't have one and never will): Can you Google "contract law" for me?

  2. #1402
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    30,573
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    The Ayatollah's official account is banned
    Ah good, I should have checked that earlier. Thanks for being on top of things as well as...on the edge.

    Man, life is so much simpler when people aren't being hypocrites. Threats of death and violence, even those which aren't terrorism technically, aren't just immoral and illegal but they break the terms of service. Out you go.

    I still worry, of course, that the message (on Twitter or otherwise) will still work. Trump is a loathesome orange maggot dressed like a man, but I still don't want him murdered. Not just because I want him poor and alone, but because I don't particularly want a war with Iran. Remember how convinced I was Trump was going to start one? Could not be more pleased to be wrong.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    (I don't know the actual way to make it go on)
    The "Hey" is not required. But boy, does she go nuts when she hears her name. One time the Jeopardy! contestant was named Alexa and hilarity ensued.

  3. #1403
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    The Ayatollah's official account is banned
    what i can still dm him on this one


  4. #1404
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    what i can still dm him on this one
    My bad, it was one of his accounts. And I got no problem with them pulling down the rest of his in the interest of consistency either.

  5. #1405
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    30,573
    I don't know how this ended up in my feed. But apparently, even the Parler mods are getting sick of the Trump supporters who come on and spew nothing but objectively false information.

    I mean, imagine if the mods here saw MMO-C turned into a complete joke of false information. "Warriors get wands" "Protection paladins raid-heal better than Resto druids" "There's a cow level in Torghast" or "Eveything on wowhead and ICV is false, and also Blizzard is using the shop sales of pets to fund a virus to take down Fortnite". Not just a few of these: 90% of posts, thousands of posts a day, complete bullshit like Parler is starting to see.

    It's like "Are We The Baddies?" but one step distant. "Are Our Customers the Baddies?"

    We'll see if the scare of being kicked onto a third-rate host server is enough for them to actually kick off the worst of the worst.

  6. #1406
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I don't know how this ended up in my feed. But apparently, even the Parler mods are getting sick of the Trump supporters who come on and spew nothing but objectively false information.
    ...that reads as if those people believe that Trump is still secretly the president. They can't possibly believe that, can they?

  7. #1407
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    ...that reads as if those people believe that Trump is still secretly the president. They can't possibly believe that, can they?
    a certain sect of Qanon does. But they are all over the place trying conjure a narrative at the moment.

  8. #1408
    Pandaren Monk Magical Mudcrab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    All across Nirn.
    Posts
    1,751
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...ut-down-461164

    De-nied. Almost like when you base your legal case on baseless conjecture you're in for a bad time.
    As I thought. The idea that antitrust would apply in this circumstance when (1) Parler is not a competitor, and (2) it appears evident that Parler has gone against Amazon's guidelines was silly. I even linked earlier in the thread sources that showed how Amazon had attempted to work with Parler to keep them on the platform (i.e.: Amazon wants their business, so asked Parler to provide an actionable proposal to improve moderation), but Parler was unable to fulfill Amazon's requests. That said, I think the case with Parler does open up discussions on best practices for content moderation on social media, especially given how we've previously seen how lack of moderation can have dire consequences (i.e.: Facebook's role in the Rohingya genocide).
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

  9. #1409
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    ...that reads as if those people believe that Trump is still secretly the president. They can't possibly believe that, can they?
    It's all going according to The Plan™

  10. #1410
    The Insane draynay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    16,475
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    It's all going according to The Plan™
    Must be one of those nebulous Cylon plans.
    /s

  11. #1411
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Must be one of those nebulous Cylon plans.
    See, Trump had Biden kidnapped before the inauguration and then took his face.


  12. #1412
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    30,573
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    It's all going according to The Plan™
    To be fair, it seems that QAnon conspiracy theorists, having watched Election->Inauguration transpire and...Trump "allowing" himself to lose (their mindset not mine), many of them are disheartened.

    Example

    Example

    Example

    Example

    And these forums are a great example. Many of the big names over the last four years have stopped coming for a variety of reasons.

    There are levels of resistance to reality, but nobody's immune. No matter how much you say "the Earth is flat" you can't reach the edge. At some point, the, um, less batshit insane of these people have either accepted reality or possibly just decided it's a fight they can't fight anymore.

    Granted, this will make the remaining diehards that much more unstable and dangerous. These people so resistant to reality that they think everyone is the enemy except them could do something destructive or violent. The only silver lining is, when you're that fucking insane, you tend to make mistakes like crossed wires or buying from undercover FBI agents. Related: forcing more and more of these whackjobs into fewer and fewer channels makes them easier to spot and monitor.

    But as for "The Plan" we're seeing that even they don't know what it is anymore. They had all their hopes on "Trump will legally still be in the White House" and not only has that failed, Trump has gone silent (see previous post in another thread).

    The real problem with the conspiracy theory insane mindset is, and oddly enough South Park explained this better than the Joker, people generally speaking want to believe in The Plan. They want to believe that there's a large, powerful organization that's in control and making things run smoothly, even if "smoothly" has events like 9/11. What makes conspiracy theorists insane is that large, powerful force is typically fictional. Right now, the large, powerful force that runs the show is...the American people and their duefully chosen elected officials. The Plan is the Constitution. For some, that's not the large, powerful force they wanted, but at least they acknowledge it's real and will accept it. For some, they thought it was Trump's cult, until they saw they weren't in charge, and are spending their days hiding in their bunker, crying into their single scoop of ice cream, but that's about it. For some, and hopefully few, this is part of some Grand Master Plan and they'll be looking for instructions in everything from anonymous Parler posts claiming to have authority to ingredient labels on Spaghetti-O's cans. And they're the ones we need to be cautious with.

    Uh oh.

  13. #1413
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    To be fair, it seems that QAnon conspiracy theorists, having watched Election->Inauguration transpire and...Trump "allowing" himself to lose (their mindset not mine), many of them are disheartened.

    Example

    Example

    Example

    Example

    And these forums are a great example. Many of the big names over the last four years have stopped coming for a variety of reasons.

    There are levels of resistance to reality, but nobody's immune. No matter how much you say "the Earth is flat" you can't reach the edge. At some point, the, um, less batshit insane of these people have either accepted reality or possibly just decided it's a fight they can't fight anymore.

    Granted, this will make the remaining diehards that much more unstable and dangerous. These people so resistant to reality that they think everyone is the enemy except them could do something destructive or violent. The only silver lining is, when you're that fucking insane, you tend to make mistakes like crossed wires or buying from undercover FBI agents. Related: forcing more and more of these whackjobs into fewer and fewer channels makes them easier to spot and monitor.

    But as for "The Plan" we're seeing that even they don't know what it is anymore. They had all their hopes on "Trump will legally still be in the White House" and not only has that failed, Trump has gone silent (see previous post in another thread).

    The real problem with the conspiracy theory insane mindset is, and oddly enough South Park explained this better than the Joker, people generally speaking want to believe in The Plan. They want to believe that there's a large, powerful organization that's in control and making things run smoothly, even if "smoothly" has events like 9/11. What makes conspiracy theorists insane is that large, powerful force is typically fictional. Right now, the large, powerful force that runs the show is...the American people and their duefully chosen elected officials. The Plan is the Constitution. For some, that's not the large, powerful force they wanted, but at least they acknowledge it's real and will accept it. For some, they thought it was Trump's cult, until they saw they weren't in charge, and are spending their days hiding in their bunker, crying into their single scoop of ice cream, but that's about it. For some, and hopefully few, this is part of some Grand Master Plan and they'll be looking for instructions in everything from anonymous Parler posts claiming to have authority to ingredient labels on Spaghetti-O's cans. And they're the ones we need to be cautious with.

    Uh oh.
    This reminds me of something that happened a few days ago. My sister texted me, to say that my mother (I stopped speaking to her a couple years ago) called her in an agitated state. She had apparently been banned from Facebook for her conspiracy theory posts. So, she created another account, and that got banned, as well. Apparently, my mother was pissed that Facebook was taking her away from her kids and the posts they made about her "grandbabies." She demanded that my sister and brothers move over to Parler, so they could be a family again, without the socialists at Facebook trying to control them. They needed to move to Parler, so that they could stay away from all the brainwashing that the liberals are pushing (10 years ago, my mother was a huge liberal).

    Well, my sister said she wasn't leaving, and maybe my mother should just stop posting conspiracy theories. She told my sister that she's as terrible as I am, and demanded she stop telling her own mother how to live her life. To my sister's credit, she said, "fine," and hung up the phone. My sister has more patience than I do, but even she's fucking done with that nonsense. because of her radicalism, my mother has lost access to half of her grandchildren. This is the cost that these conspiracy theorists shitheads must pay.

  14. #1414
    Quote Originally Posted by Magicalcrab View Post
    There's definitely something about the American right-wing that tends to conflict with almost every ToS on the planet. And then a lot of crying ensues.
    I wish I could figure out why that is. What is it about the Republican voters that makes it so difficult to not break ToS?

    Hmmmmmmmm...
    I think the real "nuance" you might actually be in search for is why the ToS seems more rigid when applied to right-wing standpoints, or their extreme end, and a lot more malleable when it comes to people less identified with it. Say, the Ayatollah Khomeini or the Minister Louis Farrakhan if we're talking Twitter. The NY Post Ban (way more concerning than the Trump ban if you ask me) for misinformation, but not stuff like Holocaust denial and Uyghur detention denial go free (same on hacked materials posting). They rarely even get the scare label below them. One questioning McConnell's re-election result still survive.

    At the risk of stating the obvious, the more center-left people don't care about right-wing accounts being more policed and selectively enforced because they agree with the action and feel like the January 6th violence was inevitable going back 2016. The tech bros are also unlikely to go after them (and y'all here), since the corporations have trended towards appeasing left-wing journalistic outlets. You gotta go full-Antifa and full-doxxing to get some flak.

  15. #1415
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I don't know how this ended up in my feed. But apparently, even the Parler mods are getting sick of the Trump supporters who come on and spew nothing but objectively false information.
    LOL "why won't people on our QAnon website do some basic fact-checking on their claims" is about as funny as it can get.

    "You are better than this".

    Press X to doubt.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    To be fair, it seems that QAnon conspiracy theorists, having watched Election->Inauguration transpire and...Trump "allowing" himself to lose (their mindset not mine), many of them are disheartened.
    I also feel like we're glossing over the bit where the "500th dimensional chess move" they were expecting generally consisted of Trump declaring martial law and publicly executing his enemies.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Remember when conservatives lost their shit because China might be spying on their Tik Toks or whatever?

    Ah man those were good times. I guess it just matters what color your preferred authoritarian regime is.
    So to recap, they were worried that a social media site (which like all social media sites is set up as a honeypot to harvest your personal data for sale to advertisers, or indeed anyone willing to pay) might allow the Chinese government to harvest your personal data, fortunately Trump orchestrated a deal (full of grift obviously) to move operations to America so that the US government would instead be the one harvesting your personal data.

    But then they flocked to a website run by Cambridge Analytica, who used to illegally harvest personal data via dodgy Facebook apps (Facebook being another social media site who even more transparently harvests your personal data for sale), who required you to add a lot of personal data like social security numbers and other forms of ID in order to join, and when that got denied service for hosting an attack on their own country, they moved to a new version of the same site set up by the KGB in order to harvest their personal data.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Magicalcrab View Post
    There's definitely something about the American right-wing that tends to conflict with almost every ToS on the planet. And then a lot of crying ensues.
    I wish I could figure out why that is. What is it about the Republican voters that makes it so difficult to not break ToS?

    Hmmmmmmmm...
    Except for websites like this one that twist the site rules into a pretzel to avoid banning obvious bad faith posters, making sure to always give right wingers special treatment because otherwise they'd lose a shitload of teen edgelord gamer traffic. Which unfortunately for the medium, all game sites are plagued with.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    Sometimes it is free speech in the US (other countries have other laws).

    The 1st amendment restrictions only apply if it calls for imminent lawless action so if your desire to kill isn't imminent or people don't believe that it will be acted on it is actually legal; https://www.freedomforuminstitute.or...ocating-force/

    Clearly the 1st amendment could be changed or reinterpreted.

    And don't blame me: I'm not the ones who made the laws and neither have I nominated the ones interpreting them.
    The US's legal history is hilariously bad on the topic of incitement. The case that established the current rule, Brandenburg v. Ohio (1969), was about a KKK leader who gave a speech in front of a burning cross about getting revenge on the niggers and Jews. The court found that this was not sufficiently clear as incitement. You can't make this shit up.

    So yeah you can pretty much get away with murder in the US when it comes to incitement. However, swear on national TV? Ooh brother, the First Amendment won't help you there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

  16. #1416
    Stood in the Fire Magicalcrab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Crabwarts
    Posts
    488
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    I think the real "nuance" you might actually be in search for is why the ToS seems more rigid when applied to right-wing standpoints, or their extreme end, and a lot more malleable when it comes to people less identified with it. Say, the Ayatollah Khomeini or the Minister Louis Farrakhan if we're talking Twitter. The NY Post Ban (way more concerning than the Trump ban if you ask me) for misinformation, but not stuff like Holocaust denial and Uyghur detention denial go free (same on hacked materials posting). They rarely even get the scare label below them. One questioning McConnell's re-election result still survive.

    At the risk of stating the obvious, the more center-left people don't care about right-wing accounts being more policed and selectively enforced because they agree with the action and feel like the January 6th violence was inevitable going back 2016. The tech bros are also unlikely to go after them (and y'all here), since the corporations have trended towards appeasing left-wing journalistic outlets. You gotta go full-Antifa and full-doxxing to get some flak.
    More intelligent users of the Twitter platforms tend to not be as obvious about their rule-breaking. But there are certainly cases where Twitter and Facebook can crack down harder.
    That said, pretending like the American Right-wing is under threat, or under far more scrutiny than any other group, is a woefully ignorant viewpoint. Social media websites have been walking on eggshells around far-right extremism for years, and in that time right-wingers STILL cried about it. It's like when the Republican party harped on and cried about the IRS cracking down on right-wing political groups because they fined a handful of right-wing groups, completely disregarding the fact that the IRS fined way more left-wing groups in that same year.

    Right-wing media figures just like to complain and pretend that they're being victimised whenever they have to reap what they've been sowing for ages.

  17. #1417
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    I think the real "nuance" you might actually be in search for is why the ToS seems more rigid when applied to right-wing standpoints, or their extreme end, and a lot more malleable when it comes to people less identified with it. Say, the Ayatollah Khomeini or the Minister Louis Farrakhan if we're talking Twitter. The NY Post Ban (way more concerning than the Trump ban if you ask me) for misinformation, but not stuff like Holocaust denial and Uyghur detention denial go free (same on hacked materials posting). They rarely even get the scare label below them. One questioning McConnell's re-election result still survive.

    At the risk of stating the obvious, the more center-left people don't care about right-wing accounts being more policed and selectively enforced because they agree with the action and feel like the January 6th violence was inevitable going back 2016. The tech bros are also unlikely to go after them (and y'all here), since the corporations have trended towards appeasing left-wing journalistic outlets. You gotta go full-Antifa and full-doxxing to get some flak.
    Once again, it's private property. Should we expect a Christian website to host LGBT-friendly posts?

    The "tech bros" are companies that want to make a profit. That's it. Nazis are bad for long-term business.

  18. #1418
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    30,573
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I also feel like we're glossing over the bit where the "500th dimensional chess move" they were expecting generally consisted of Trump declaring martial law and publicly executing his enemies.
    Trump's view of strength is bullying and violence. Because Trump is a pussy.

  19. #1419
    The Undying Cthulhu 2020's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rigging your election
    Posts
    33,886
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    Really the best part about this is all the stuff Republicans died on a hill for over the years have come back to bite them right in the ass..

    Corporations are people.. (so they have like rights of people now)
    Businesses that the right to refuse business.. (gay cake baker)
    Unchained free market capitalism (I guess not here though.. right)

    Guess that is what happens when your policy is designed around "pwn the libs" and not actually around real governance of a nation. Knee jerks to "pwn" and a couple years later you feel that same knee jerk right into your own gut.
    Pretty much exactly this. When your entire political platform is based entirely around upsetting other people and worshipping the wealthy, it's going to come back and bite you in the ass. Conservatives don't want to tax the wealthy because they believe the wealthy earned their way there, and every conservative sees themselves as becoming rich EVENTUALLY. Then when they realize they'll NEVER get there it starts to dawn on them just how much they fucked themselves into poverty.
    "Nazis are like cats. If they like you, it's probably because you're feeding them." -John Oliver
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    I don't care if he committed tax fraud. Scoring political victories and crushing the aspirations of your political opponents is more important than adhering to moral principles.
    Knadra finally just admitting Trumpkins care more about political victories than morals.

  20. #1420
    Quote Originally Posted by Magicalcrab View Post
    More intelligent users of the Twitter platforms tend to not be as obvious about their rule-breaking. But there are certainly cases where Twitter and Facebook can crack down harder.
    That said, pretending like the American Right-wing is under threat, or under far more scrutiny than any other group, is a woefully ignorant viewpoint. Social media websites have been walking on eggshells around far-right extremism for years, and in that time right-wingers STILL cried about it. It's like when the Republican party harped on and cried about the IRS cracking down on right-wing political groups because they fined a handful of right-wing groups, completely disregarding the fact that the IRS fined way more left-wing groups in that same year.

    Right-wing media figures just like to complain and pretend that they're being victimised whenever they have to reap what they've been sowing for ages.
    Massive citation needed here. I've seen the exact opposite: right-wing extremism was actioned quicker and more universally than equivalent posts from left-wingers for the last six years or so I've been watching. Like the IRS story, Left Wing groups tried to say they were the real victims, but never obtained the same level of scrutiny, or delays. It's just a propagandistic talking point to look at bulk approvals and allege that is the same topic. But left-wing groups want to take the victimhood trophy and bend the conversation to suit their means. I'd pick better examples.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •