View Poll Results: Under what name should the events of January 6 be remembered?

Voters
66. This poll is closed
  • The Republican Insurrection

26 39.39%
  • The Trump Insurrection

27 40.91%
  • Other. What?

13 19.70%
Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

How should the events of January 6 enter the history books?

January 6th 2021 will be a day remembered as the closest we have gotten to losing American democracy.

How should this event enter the history books?

I believe we ought to call it the Republican Insurrection.

While, hopefully, Trump will be gone in 2 weeks, the army of lunatics he rallied under his tent are here to stay, and we need to remember just who exactly tried to destroy our democracy.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2021-01-09 at 06:05 AM.

Trump my have been the figurehead but they have been on this track long before most of us were born just trying to hold power.

And their power was fading soon without it anyways, he just sped up the time line while giving them fewer ways to try and lie about what they were doing.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Natty Light Hall Putsch.

Don't let them out this time.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Plenty of blame to go around plenty of Republicans and Conservatives I blame did step up and said no.

But even they have known and say now this is a stain. Many of them telling me family members they lost who did follow Trump have also contacted them crying crying since all this even they know many NOW how bad this is.

Not enough not enough by a long shot but yeah Republicans built this. But many came to stop it.

This isn’t about blame or apologize. Personally I don’t want to hear it.

But if some really do want to make way to come away from Trump.

But fuck words.

We need as many as we got to stop Trump and we need as many as we can to end him for good.

Trump and his leadership need to pay for those that peddled bullshit and knew fucking knew and had the responsibility who did nothing should face justice along with Trump.

So no this isn’t just Trump it started with Republicans maybe by mistake maybe out of ideology it can happen.

But going forward it won’t matter if those that know now don’t do everything to stop not only Trump but turn these people who are still ignorant around.

But those that knew and had power are the most to blame.

Bottom line I want vengeance but we need justice and change.

But before this we need to take the weapons away from these lunatics. Take the bullets out of their guns and brick by brick take this BS we saw apart.

This should never happen again.

This isn’t free speech or expression this was terrorism.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2021-01-09 at 06:31 AM.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

15+ Year Old Account
    The dying whimpers of a dumb, failed fascist coup.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    "The Fuck Your Feelings Crowd Sure Has A Lot Of Butthurt Feelings Insurrection"
    Putin khuliyo

Republicans caused this and it should be remembered as them causing it. Don't allow them to put all the blame on Trump. Republicans spent decades stoking the divisions that lead to this, Trump just happened to be the one who took control of it at this point in time.

10+ Year Old Account
    “Insurrection” is too cogent a words for these fucks. “Failed Right-wing terrorist invasion of the capitol” seems perfectly apt to me.

I’d put it as “on January sixth, 2021 after repeated unsubstantiated claims of electoral fraud in the 2020 election by the defeated president Trump and numerous Republican Party officials, right-wing terrorists amassed and broke into the US capitol building, defacing property in an attempt to overturn president elect Biden’s victory. Their efforts failed, and lead to the deaths of four people.”

Hopefully the history books follow it with “thousands of arrests followed, including the indictments of numerous Republican political figures both complacent in and directly participatory in the attempted coup.”
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2021-01-09 at 07:31 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hopefully as the last desperate grasp for relevance by white supremacists fearing their diminishing influence.
    /s

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    It probably will fade into relative obscurity except as "That time some Fentonyl Americans vandalized the capitol building", or, it won't really be labeled all that significant in the long run compared to every other thing that happened since January 6th 2020. In the end it was about three hours, they dispersed quickly, a cop died and four of them died. It isn't exactly a 9/11 event or something, all though it is the closest most are going to get to the "Fascist Coup!" that has occupied many a flight of fancy for the last four years. For a putsch it was kinda a lazy affair, these dudes didn't even seize power, vandalized the capitol building, allegedly took a shit in a hallway, posed for some pics and stole some stuff and then were cleared out. The massive large scale Economic Depression that will likely consume the next ten years of our lives will be a bigger deal in the long run. It wasn't big enough as say 9/11, as a coup, its erstwhile leader didn't even show up. And it was over in less than a day and mostly existed to create some selfies and tiktok vids. People will be dealing with the aftermath of 2020 basically for over a decade. Every teacher will be playing catch up with kids who've basically lost a year of school or more, and are now maybe four years behind. Millions are starving and tens of millions are destitute and nearly homeless. I am sure some will remember this, kinda like Charlotsville or GamerGate; something that gets invoked, that only bluechecks utter as some kinda of talismanic charm or incantation. It'll probably go down as a "Riot" by most historians in a century.

To the extent it can be a "Big Deal" is only if we let it be a big deal. The country withers and dies because this becomes the only thing the MSM talks about; and responding to it becomes "The only thing that matters" as the United States croaks and dies during the Economic Depression that is still ongoing. Largely because the Elite among themselves become too busy asserting their authority and prestige and such trivial things and forget that the country they are in charge of is quit literally dying.
    Last edited by Theodarzna; 2021-01-09 at 08:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    January 6th 2021 will be a day remembered as the closest we have gotten to losing American democracy.

How should this event enter the history books?

I believe we ought to call it the Republican Insurrection.

While, hopefully, Trump will be gone in 2 weeks, the army of lunatics he rallied under his tent are here to stay, and we need to remember just who exactly tried to destroy our democracy.
    I mean I know your education system isn't great but closest to losing democracy? You already had a civil war you know that right?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Hopefully as the last desperate grasp for relevance by white supremacists fearing their diminishing influence.
    I doubt it since race is weirdly plastered onto everything.

I hope that's true. I think we have a lot of work in front of us to make sure it's true, but not sure what our next steps need to be. Prosecuting the guilty, sure, but clearly a wide array of reforms are needed. How can we protect the country from what these people want to do to it? Maybe they'll fade but maybe they'll get worse. I think how this looks in history depends 100% on what happens next, what we do next.

An embarrassing display of what an "insurrection" or "rebellion" doesn't look like.

I have a difficult time taking this seriously while using such words.

This shit is what it looks like when you don't have a basic education.

Quote Originally Posted by Krakan View Post
    I mean I know your education system isn't great but closest to losing democracy? You already had a civil war you know that right?
    The Civil War wasn't about whether America should be a democracy or not. Even the Confederate state were largely democratic, for how democracy was understood at the time with wildly curtailed suffrage. It was about slavery and the ability to retain the institution despite it losing at the ballot box, had the Confederacy succeeded the Union would still have retained democracy.

This shitshow. This was about installing a dictatorship. About crowning a king (Trump) in all but name only.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    An embarrassing display of what an "insurrection" or "rebellion" doesn't look like.

I have a difficult time taking this seriously while using such words.

This shit is what it looks like when you don't have a basic education.
    The intent was insurrection, its failure due to incompetence doesn't make it not an insurrection. Just as an attempted murder doesn't stop being attempted murder if you failed because you're an idiot. I've said it before somewhere else.

This was the equivalent of the Beer Hall Putsch and it failed for the same reason. They weren't quite ready, and they weren't smart enough, so they botched it. But rallying these same mobs and lunatics again in a coup that's slightly better organized a few years down the road can yield wildly different outcomes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by varandam View Post
    You don't have democracy. You are controlled by a small number of corporations, idiot. Why do you think all your politicians are fuckwits in the pay of Wall St? Do you think Trump or Biden got there on merit? The fucking delusional stupidity of you people with your retarded juvenile patriotism, it is painful to listen to.
    Yo dipshit.

Yes, the US has major institutional issues, and yes we are on the brink of an oligarchical kleptocracy, and yes most of our fucking politicians are trash.

But there's no both sides to this.

One side is swinging between being a full blown corporatocracy or fascist dictatorship (Republicans), and it craves death camps and mass murder, the other is just corrupt as fuck (Democrats).

You can fix one (Dems), but the other is irredeemable (GOOPERS).

So go and fuck right off with your both sides tankie/nazbul bullshit.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2021-01-09 at 12:16 PM.

The intent was insurrection, its failure due to incompetence doesn't make it not an insurrection. Just as an attempted murder doesn't stop being attempted murder if you failed because you're an idiot.
    Fair enough.
    The collective intelligence of the country would have gone up had more Darwin Awards been given out.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    sip
    Ah yes. The Nazis are here to tell us how this wasn't that bad, and we shouldn't even talk about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by varandam View Post
    You don't have democracy. You are controlled by a small number of corporations, idiot. Why do you think all your politicians are fuckwits in the pay of Wall St? Do you think Trump or Biden got there on merit? The fucking delusional stupidity of you people with your retarded juvenile patriotism, it is painful to listen to.

There's been a lot of pearl-clutching about the capitol hill stuff but it has no real impact on anything since it is patently obvious the Trump supporters in question lack either the will or intelligence to actually damage the country's political institutions on anything other than some kind of trite symbolic value.

But it is fucking vomit-inducing hearing Americans blather on about democracy when the CIA has been undermining democracies to protect American financial interests for 100 years or so. Imagine this shit a hundred times worse with the insurrectionists torturing, raping and murdering their way through your country-that's was the reality for many latin american countries.

- - - Updated - - -

Well the Democrats and the institutional Republicans have a vested interested in posturing over this issue as it deflects attention from their systemic corruption which is the thing actually destroying the country. So I doubt it will be forgotten that fast.It is like 9/11, a God-given opportunity for kleptocrats to point the finger at someone else.

- - - Updated - - -

Is this a poem?
    Considering the gibberish you just spewed and fence sitting for domestic terrorist you can have several seats.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    It probably will fade into relative obscurity except as "That time some Fentonyl Americans vandalized the capitol building", or, it won't really be labeled all that significant in the long run compared to every other thing that happened since January 6th 2020. In the end it was about three hours, they dispersed quickly, a cop died and four of them died. It isn't exactly a 9/11 event or something, all though it is the closest most are going to get to the "Fascist Coup!" that has occupied many a flight of fancy for the last four years. For a putsch it was kinda a lazy affair, these dudes didn't even seize power, vandalized the capitol building, allegedly took a shit in a hallway, posed for some pics and stole some stuff and then were cleared out. The massive large scale Economic Depression that will likely consume the next ten years of our lives will be a bigger deal in the long run. It wasn't big enough as say 9/11, as a coup, its erstwhile leader didn't even show up. And it was over in less than a day and mostly existed to create some selfies and tiktok vids. People will be dealing with the aftermath of 2020 basically for over a decade. Every teacher will be playing catch up with kids who've basically lost a year of school or more, and are now maybe four years behind. Millions are starving and tens of millions are destitute and nearly homeless. I am sure some will remember this, kinda like Charlotsville or GamerGate; something that gets invoked, that only bluechecks utter as some kinda of talismanic charm or incantation. It'll probably go down as a "Riot" by most historians in a century.

To the extent it can be a "Big Deal" is only if we let it be a big deal. The country withers and dies because this becomes the only thing the MSM talks about; and responding to it becomes "The only thing that matters" as the United States croaks and dies during the Economic Depression that is still ongoing. Largely because the Elite among themselves become too busy asserting their authority and prestige and such trivial things and forget that the country they are in charge of is quit literally dying.
    I'm sure Trumpsters would like it to fade into obscurity after it failed, but that isn't about to happen, by pure virtue of just where this took place and the president's role in it, who are also about to go down in history as one of the worst presidents you lot has ever had. The head of the executive branch egging on his supporters to go physically attack the legislative branch isn't some usual occurrence.

It wasn't some random government building out in the sticks that got attacked, but the very centre of power of the federal government of the US.

The Civil War wasn't about whether America should be a democracy or not. Even the Confederate state were largely democratic, for how democracy was understood at the time with wildly curtailed suffrage. It was about slavery and the ability to retain the institution despite it losing at the ballot box, had the Confederacy succeeded the Union would still have retained democracy.

This shitshow. This was about installing a dictatorship. About crowning a king (Trump) in all but name only.

- - - Updated - - -

The intent was insurrection, its failure due to incompetence doesn't make it not an insurrection. Just as an attempted murder doesn't stop being attempted murder if you failed because you're an idiot. I've said it before somewhere else.

This was the equivalent of the Beer Hall Putsch and it failed for the same reason. They weren't quite ready, and they weren't smart enough, so they botched it. But rallying these same mobs and lunatics again in a coup that's slightly better organized a few years down the road can yield wildly different outcomes.

- - - Updated - - -

Yo dipshit.

Yes, the US has major institutional issues, and yes we are on the brink of an oligarchical kleptocracy, and yes most of our fucking politicians are trash.

But there's no both sides to this.

One side is swinging between being a full blown corporatocracy or fascist dictatorship (Republicans), and it craves death camps and mass murder, the other is just corrupt as fuck (Democrats).

You can fix one (Dems), but the other is irredeemable (GOOPERS).

So go and fuck right off with your both sides tankie/nazbul bullshit.
    Here is my thing. This will be remembered as a failed coup, the problem is, and you point it out, is that they actively encourages the far right militants, anti-government types that are ex military and have training and weapons that the defense at the Capitol was a joke and can be ran over. And as you point it out, they will try again and will use deadly force. I just hope that there is enough defense there to prevent much of anything happening other then a few lives lost(which is tragic of itself.)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    I'm sure Trumpsters would like it to fade into obscurity after it failed, but that isn't about to happen, by pure virtue of just where this took place and the president's role in it, who are also about to go down in history as one of the worst presidents you lot has ever had. The head of the executive branch egging on his supporters to go physically attack the legislative branch isn't some usual occurrence.

It wasn't some random government building out in the sticks that got attacked, but the very centre of power of the federal government of the US.
    Yep and with how easy they got in(regardless of it being and inside job or not), it will majorly encourage those that do want to legitimately either dismantle or take over the government and install their own.

You couldn't be more fucking wrong, again.

Presidents are only ever really remembered for a couple things... this will be one of them. Trump will be remembered as the President who sent his supporters to murder congressmen at the capitol after he lost the election.

The other will be his complete and utter failure in dealing with Covid-19.

So, as much as you want to continue to turn this around, and blame the "other side" for it... you really should stop embarrassing yourself.