15+ Year Old Account

Stat weight/priority/gems/etc for destruction

I'm really confused at something I see on icy-veins. All of the other classes and specs have updated recommended gems and enchants to be pretty current with the current builds of the game and such. Yes some of them in the words will refer to some BFA stuff in certain aspects of different guides but this destruction warlock one has me a little more than confused. Is the stat weight for int so much higher than mastery & haste (listed as the top secondary stats to get). Does anyone know if int is weighted higher than the other stats to the point that a +7 int gem holds more value than a +16 secondary stat gem?

For reference:

10+ Year Old Account
    Guide was last updated 4 days before they changed the gem from 18 int to 7

At the start of SL, Leviathan's Eye was still the best gem. It was fixed with a patch.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dawawe View Post
    Guide was last updated 4 days before they changed the gem from 18 int to 7
    Not true. The change to those gems being a +7 happened prior to 12/3/20 (I know this date because that's when I commented on wowhead of the change to those gems) and the changelog for icy-veins is listed as 12/8/20 which is a total of 5 days AFTER the change went live (could have been sooner than that since I only know when I posted about the change on wowhead)

link to my comment on wowhead for proof of date

They forgot to change it.

Simple as that.

Guides aren't perfect. There's mistakes in them all the time. Use your own critical judgement, and synthesize your information by comparing various sources, instead of picking one and blindly following everything it says to the letter.

When you are under ilvl 190 and/or have a bad weapon its possible for 7 int > 16 haste

You can always sim to get better information.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    Not true. The change to those gems being a +7 happened prior to 12/3/20 (I know this date because that's when I commented on wowhead of the change to those gems) and the changelog for icy-veins is listed as 12/8/20 which is a total of 5 days AFTER the change went live (could have been sooner than that since I only know when I posted about the change on wowhead)

link to my comment on wowhead for proof of date
    you can see the change log gems were updated in november. the dec 8th update "added armor kits"

10+ Year Old Account
    Destruction guides are not properly maintained, half of the info there is flat out wrong such as M+ talents which is outright false big time.

The guy who maintains the Icy guide is a Warlock Discord admin, but he's a theorycrafting guy and certainly not a Destruction player. There is one thing you see in simulation and whole another thing in reality.

So no, don't use int gem, don't ever pick Soul Conduit and Inferno for anything (aside maybe Torghast, big maybe) and go to Warlock Discord Destruction channel for up to date info from players who actually play the spec and not just theorycrafting fanfic that holds no water in reality.

- - - Updated - - -

As a quick cheat sheet - for raids a decent idea would be to go to WCL and see what top parsing Destros used per boss. Flip to HC and see what people use in top Destruction logs there you should get a decent "guide" out of that.

Mythic you won't find much info, because spec is almost dead for raiding with Affliction being vastly superior in pretty much every situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Destruction guides are not properly maintained, half of the info there is flat out wrong such as M+ talents which is outright false big time.

The guy who maintains the Icy guide is a Warlock Discord admin, but he's a theorycrafting guy and certainly not a Destruction player. There is one thing you see in simulation and whole another thing in reality.

So no, don't use int gem, don't ever pick Soul Conduit and Inferno for anything (aside maybe Torghast, big maybe) and go to Warlock Discord Destruction channel for up to date info from players who actually play the spec and not just theorycrafting fanfic that holds no water in reality.

- - - Updated - - -

As a quick cheat sheet - for raids a decent idea would be to go to WCL and see what top parsing Destros used per boss. Flip to HC and see what people use in top Destruction logs there you should get a decent "guide" out of that.

Mythic you won't find much info, because spec is almost dead for raiding with Affliction being vastly superior in pretty much every situation.
    The one on wowhead isn't too bad tbh, but the one on icy veins is just trash last time i looked at it.

There's plenty of parses to find for mythic raiding, but whatever works for Heroic will usually work on mythic as well, if your raid leader isn't a total meta arsehat and you actually know how to play destruction there should be no reason to be forced to play affliction even in mythic as whatever dps check will be outnumbered by gear by this time in the progression.

Hell, we're a 4/10 mythic guild and we need to stop dps on artificer to make the events play out well.

When I sim my 200 iLvl Destro lock, it says my Int weight is 2.40 and all secondary stats ~1.0, so the Int gem is indeed better for me...for now.

When will it not be like that?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by matornot View Post
    When I sim my 200 iLvl Destro lock, it says my Int weight is 2.40 and all secondary stats ~1.0, so the Int gem is indeed better for me...for now.
    When will it not be like that do you recon? I'm considering leveling mine, but haven't played Warlock in ages, so a rough estimate would be nice :-)

Is there a target percentage of Crit/Haste/Intellect one should aim for as destro?

the only true aswer youill find here > https://www.raidbots.com/ no one can tell what stats your char needs, trow all you have in to top gear and wear what it says to you. the term "statsweights" is a big noob trap only bad players use
    Last edited by Feral Druid ist Op; 2021-09-14 at 01:02 AM.
    I.O BFA Season 3