What spec are you enjoying for Shadowlands, and what have you enjoyed in the past?

I figured it might be fun and useful to have a thread like this where people can share what spec they've been playing in Shadowlands, and how they've been enjoying it so far. Especially since rerolling or having alts is quite punishing atm with the loot scarcity.

Since people have different tastes in class/spec, it would also be useful to know what content they do, and which specs they've enjoyed/not enjoyed in past expacs, so people can find others whose tastes might align with their own.

I'll start:

Now playing and enjoying (?): Elemental Shaman. I find it quite fun and engaging, with a lot of variety possible with talents/legendaries, and more depth than most people realize. However, it can also be a bit clunky at times (resource/CD overcap in AoE with CDs for example, dealing with multidotting with a Flameshock CD of 6 sec), and it's very frustrating when tanks kite mobs out of Earthquake in the current M+ meta.

The content I do: Mythic raiding (expecting CE, but barely) and semi-high keys (1 15+ and a couple 14+ timed so far)

Previously enjoyed: Elemental shaman in Legion Antorus tier ("Frostquake" build especially), and WW monk for most of Legion (but esp. in the first tier with Serenity).

Previously not enjoyed: Didn't find a single spec I liked in BfA, and felt most specs were pretty dull in Legion as well

I don't know if I'd go as far as enjoyment, but I am currently playing Unholy DPS on my DK and like that fact that I feel like I am the reason a boss or an enemy dies again I have not had this feeling of being OP since Wrath and Blood DPS. It's not the spec I want to play, but currently its baseline about 1K DPS stronger than 2H Frost which sucks since I hate pets and was really hoping Frost would be good this expansion, but unfortunately it did not turn out that way.

I have never played Holy Pally before this expansion and can say It is challenging, but also rewarding when you get in a groove and I love it. It's been a huge change from typically playing Resto Druid.

Love BM Hunter, until I zone into Torghast.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrinx View Post
    And what's wrong with it there?
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM

Currently playing and enjoying my enhancement shammy main. It feels quite good at the moment even though there are holes in the rotation when you arent lucky with procs/ dont have enough haste. Mainly doing world stuff and mythic + I loved Gladiator talent back in WoD, sword and board dps was by far one of the most fun times ive had in this game. Enhance was decent enough during the rest of the expansions i guess.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Really only played BM hunter, enjoy it most of the limited time I get to play. Just about to sink into Torghasm for the mount, my first 2 attempts ended poorly as I was under rl time constraints so trying to rush. Might need higher ilvl, currently at 187.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

Now playing and enjoying: Monk WW and MW (mostly MW)

The content I do: low mythic + and normal raiding

Previously enjoyed: WOTLK Holy paladin and BC enhancement shaman two favorites. PVP MM Hunter and Frost Mage. BFA: Assassination Rogue, fury warrior, frost mage and Holy priest

Previously not enjoyed: Warlock, Druid, demon hunter

10+ Year Old Account
    Playing shadow priest, first time raiding as shadow since Cata, and enjoying it. Also happy to have mind soothe back for sneaking around and I'm NE for shadowmeld when I feel like "nope"ing out of a fight, all useful stuff for a squishy priest. Also played a fair amount of prot pal and unholy DK and enjoying them both, multi-shieldthrow and slappyhands ftw.
    /s

Really like Shaman and Paladin, particularly Prot Paladin with Divine Toll and Enhance Shammy with Chain Harvest.

Lost complete interest in my Rogue which was my go-to character. Assassination was my main spec but it has way too many set up requirements in a dungeon to achieve the dps a DH can do in a single Eye Beam. And frankly all of their covenant abilities are garbage bin. Of the three rogue specs I have the most fun on Outlaw, but I think that has much more to do with the amount of damage... which I can achieve on my Marksman hunter with way less attention and mechanics.

DK I had high hopes for but basically Unholy keeps getting pushed into minion damage and I don't like pet mechanics or pet AI. 2h Frost I thought was going to be my saving grace but it's behind DW and you still need to take Breath of Sindragosa for dungeon competitiveness and I hate that talent. Blood isn't bad but it's just so much less fun than Veng DH or Prot Pally that it's irrelevant to me.

So other than playing Rogue and DK less and Shaman and Paladin more, my levels of interest with the other classes seem relatively unchanged. In the cases of Shaman and Paladin it was just a really powerful, unintrusive Covenant ability that did it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Beingbob View Post
    I figured it might be fun and useful to have a thread like this where people can share what spec they've been playing in Shadowlands, and how they've been enjoying it so far. Especially since rerolling or having alts is quite punishing atm with the loot scarcity.

Since people have different tastes in class/spec, it would also be useful to know what content they do, and which specs they've enjoyed/not enjoyed in past expacs, so people can find others whose tastes might align with their own.

I'll start:

Now playing and enjoying (?): Elemental Shaman. I find it quite fun and engaging, with a lot of variety possible with talents/legendaries, and more depth than most people realize. However, it can also be a bit clunky at times (resource/CD overcap in AoE with CDs for example, dealing with multidotting with a Flameshock CD of 6 sec), and it's very frustrating when tanks kite mobs out of Earthquake in the current M+ meta.

The content I do: Mythic raiding (expecting CE, but barely) and semi-high keys (1 15+ and a couple 14+ timed so far)

Previously enjoyed: Elemental shaman in Legion Antorus tier ("Frostquake" build especially), and WW monk for most of Legion (but esp. in the first tier with Serenity).

Previously not enjoyed: Didn't find a single spec I liked in BfA, and felt most specs were pretty dull in Legion as well

Now playing and enjoying (?): Balance druid. its fun but have a problem with it. But fun to be in the top on dps meters for once . And my paladin as main alt.
    Love the options the druid has. Since the giving back of ability's have a lot of my stuns, roots etc back. ( we lost so much in the pruning). And most of the talents are nice.

What do you i dislike about the class: Eclips. They have still not figured it out. To get the max dps you need to follow the flow. But that does not always work in fights.

The content I do: since a short while pvp again ( fun with all my roots, escape stuff etc), WQ ( and other content), Dungeons ( N and HC) starting m+ soon. LFR. Sadly because of extra work because of covid not much time to play steady stuff like raids etc. Its more ; when i have i play.

Previously enjoyed: Mostly balance druid. Paladin ( prot) also. And in the past resto druid a lot. Prot paladin was a bit to powerful in BFA :P

Previously not enjoyed: Found like you most specs boring, little amount of spells, flavor, pointless talents etc. And was missing totems etc

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrinx View Post
    I thought BM had it pretty easy all things considered :-/

OT: I've been playing BM for Heroic raiding and some keys, MM for Arenas.
    Just got my Brewmaster alt to 60 and I quite enjoy the tanking style, ROP alone is worth it.

I hate the unpruning of most classes in SL.

They brought back too many useless abilities that just occupies action bar space.

10+ Year Old Account
    Enhancement Shaman.

However, even though getting rid of maelstrom energy bar was a godsend, I'm now seeing that with higher haste values, the spec is similar to its BFA iteration in regard to spamming Stormstrike.

That and the fact that we basically only have one competitive option as far as build and legendary go

I'm currently enjoying every spec I play because they are like BfA (fast paced, fluid, intuitive) but better and with more options. Currently enjoying Druid (Balance and Resto), Havoc DH, Disc priest, Monk (dps and healer) and Elemental Shaman. Not talking about numbers or competitiveness, but about the general flow of the specs. I abandoned some specs (shadow priest, frost mage) because they feel slow and lackluster without a good amount of haste.
    Last edited by Barzotti; 2021-01-12 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ashblond View Post

They brought back too many useless abilities that just occupies action bar space.
    I guess this is class specific, because I'm loving it as a Warrior. Baseline Spell Reflect, Intervene, Shattering Throw, Execute/WW for Prot, Challenging Shout, Piercing Howl etc... It kind of feels like I've got my old WoD Prot Warrior back, despite being quite far from it.

Prot Warrior feels... Okay to good. A hell of a lot better than it did heading into BfA, which (alongside with the other tanks being lackluster) is what had me quitting the game for a good 15-18 months. The lack of secondaries isn't fun, but it's definitenly manageable.

That said, I'm a Warrior DPS main now, and while Arms has its problems, it's quite a lot of fun with Signet of Tormented Kings. It's definitely more fun than that Test of Might nonsense that plagued my life when I returned to the game in Nyalotha. Again, it's not great, but it definitely has its moments.

Fury is just Fury. It's fun for what it is.

Frost DK, Arcane and especially boomkin has been revitalized for me. Have not enjoyed boomkin this much since WotLK. I had 8 hours played on it in BfA lol, dinged saturday(or was it friday) on it, have twice the amount of played already

Many specs has been revitalized imo, but not because of unpruning of old mostly useless stuff, but because of the flavor Covenant abilities and Soulbind gives, which we had nada of in BfA.

Next 3 chars are Resto Shaman, Survival Hunter and Fury Warrior. Looking forward to it!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Toybox View Post
    I guess this is class specific, because I'm loving it as a Warrior. Baseline Spell Reflect, Intervene, Shattering Throw, Execute/WW for Prot, Challenging Shout, Piercing Howl etc... It kind of feels like I've got my old WoD Prot Warrior back, despite being quite far from it.

Prot Warrior feels... Okay to good. A hell of a lot better than it did heading into BfA, which (alongside with the other tanks being lackluster) is what had me quitting the game for a good 15-18 months. The lack of secondaries isn't fun, but it's definitenly manageable.

That said, I'm a Warrior DPS main now, and while Arms has its problems, it's quite a lot of fun with Signet of Tormented Kings. It's definitely more fun than that Test of Might nonsense that plagued my life when I returned to the game in Nyalotha. Again, it's not great, but it definitely has its moments.

Fury is just Fury. It's fun for what it is.
    Agree on Warrior unpruning, many useful abilities back there. And Fury is Fun

Quote Originally Posted by ashblond View Post

Got the same feeling.

Historically, within pathfinder expansions, I would “lead an expansion” with whichever human character I was into most, for reputation. As of BFA I abandoned that tradition to play my void elf affliction warlock as a main while maintaining over 30 alts to run gold emissaries.

And then they blew the roof off of Druid customizations, and I will never ever look back.

It is straight up insulting the step down in open world and general casual play time efficiency that occurs playing any class but guardian Druid pre-flight. Between the stealth tank, full mount speed in the maw, the ability to queue as ranged DPS and loot tank gear to augment my solo time, I will never lead an expansion as any other class. I have 4 guardians of different aesthetics, and one of them is bound to fit any expansion concept they come out with!
    Last edited by Omedon; 2021-01-12 at 12:57 PM.