Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bwonsamdi the Dead View Post
    How about your everyday person who'd be rather nice, but just have anger issues?
    Only Arbiter knows ;-)

One more idea - bubble wrap realm, where all you do is pop bubbles for all eternity :P

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Because their afterlife isn't part of the system to keep the Shadowlands working, like the 4 zones.
    This, exactly. The Covenants do not represent generic afterlives, they're a small slice of the countless afterlives out there - those that have an actual function.

There are troll realms out there, and we visit some in De Other Side. They don't go to Ardenweald, we just enter the dungeon from that zone.

If you want to speculate on what new covenants could be added, try to find a missing function, not an afterlife for a type of soul. The last type of afterlife is out there in multitudes, but they wouldn't be a covenant.
    Last edited by paxen; 2021-01-17 at 02:14 PM.

Delete Fae Wild and re-do them with the proper alignment. They are waaaay too lawful/good to fit either faeries or the natural cycle, which I believe they're based on. It's just Bastion 2.0 but a lot more blue and furry.

Nature's scary, not a petting zoo.

Quote Originally Posted by Unbelievable View Post
    Greedy people go to Revendreth.
    But, there could be a Broker realm, where entities trade and showcase their captures on an auction, sort of thing, for the highest bidder.
    Disagree. There are plenty of "bad" souls that have not gone directly to Revendreth. There's quite a few in Maldraxxus for starters.

Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    That afterlife already kinda exists. The House of Rituals in Maldraxxus is essentially just a place where mages of all sorts congregate to perfect their craft for eternity, reading books and the like.

Might be a bit morbid for those who just want a giant library with none of the aesthetic cobwebs and lack of leather chairs not made from an enemy you had slain in the arena, but it is something.
    Eh, there's supposedly a nigh-infinite number of realms, so a library realm storing all kinds of knowledge is hardly unlikely. The real question would be if there was any reason for us to join them.

Same problem with the "normal" afterlives; i'm sure they exist, but what reason do we have to go there? They'd be little more than window dressing serving no useful purpose to our journey.

7+ Year Old Account
    If you, already, have Halls of Valor and Helheim, what more could they add?
    the whole package? halls of valor was underwhelming and looked more like a golden vrykul bullshit, i want a more established warrior honored afterlife, warriors around the world reunited and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewalrus2010 View Post
    Disagree. There are plenty of "bad" souls that have not gone directly to Revendreth. There's quite a few in Maldraxxus for starters.
    Greed is one of the seven deadly sins. Bad doesn't, necessarily, mean greedy. You mean Kel'thuzad and Lady vashj? they weren't greedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    the whole package? halls of valor was underwhelming and looked more like a golden vrykul bullshit, i want a more established warrior honored afterlife, warriors around the world reunited and all.
    That's, exactly, what it is. Might not be on the scale of a zone because it is a dungeon.

Greed is one of the seven deadly sins. Bad doesn't, necessarily, mean greedy. You mean Kel'thuzad and Lady vashj? they weren't greedy.
    Never said they were greedy? Just that by your logic they should be in Revendreth. Both of those souls have committed more than one of those seven deadly sins.

It could be argued that kel'thuzad had a greed for power/knowledge though if we are talking greed specifically.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
    Much less saying he can't be imprisoned there if it was his own realm is nonsense as many characters and real life people have been imprisoned in their own homes/lands. Ever heard of house arrest? Hell I think even Beast in Beauty and The Beast was imprisoned in his own castle by the spell.
    Yes, but people would say "his castle" not "the castle." Which was my actual argument. They do not reference the Maw as The Jailer's domain, the Maw is always just referred to as the Maw. Why wouldn't they reference directly the Jailer always ruled the Maw? Or that it was his domain.

The Primus also describes the Maw when Zoval was bound as already "inescapable." You don't really need a Jailer if people can't escape already. And just because he held the title of The Jailer before he was imprisoned doesn't mean he ruled the Maw. The Maw isn't the only realm where jails are seen. They are also in Revendreth and implied in the other realms. So, the Maw being jail doesn't have to be true.

My argument on the Jailer having ruled another plain is because they use ambiguous language where it can be read one way or another. There are implications the Jailer didn't rule over the Maw just as there are implications he did. When we deal with the Primus, The Archon, The Winter Queen, and The Sire they all have unambiguous language when referring to their realms. And given that we know there are infinite afterlives, the idea that the Jailer ruled another one is not out of the question.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Halyon View Post
    Delete Fae Wild and re-do them with the proper alignment. They are waaaay too lawful/good to fit either faeries or the natural cycle, which I believe they're based on. It's just Bastion 2.0 but a lot more blue and furry.

Yeah, very much my feeling, too. The Fae could've been truly awesome -- especially something like depicted in The Dresden Files book series, where you had various courts, or even a sort of "elven Hunter-god" -- but instead, we just got a super cutesy, "playful" sort of race.

Anyways...

As far as "new afterlives/covenants" that could be added, part of me still kind of circles back to some kind of "keepers of knowledge" covenant. Which, may well could be an extension of the Mawsworn.

Or perhaps sort of a Lovecraft-ian "realm of insanity", with more truly reality-bending aesthetics and themes? That could wind up being the direction they choose to take the Void Lords, although I'm personally already tired of the black-and-purple "Void" aesthetic.

Never said they were greedy? Just that by your logic they should be in Revendreth. Both of those souls have committed more than one of those seven deadly sins.
    Did they, now? I can see a case being made for Kel'thuzad, but i'm not really seeing it for Vashj. She was acting in the interest of her people. She wasn't particularly wrathful, greedy or any of the other character flaws the Venthyr seek to purge.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Yeah, very much my feeling, too. The Fae could've been truly awesome -- especially something like depicted in The Dresden Files book series, where you had various courts, or even a sort of "elven Hunter-god" -- but instead, we just got a super cutesy, "playful" sort of race.
    Dresden Files is just based on far older myths. And they're pretty clearly meant to represent the Winter Court, which suggests that there's probably another faction of Summer Court fae on the Life side.
    But you also have to remember that this is a PG12 game.

Also, Lovecraftian isn't very well-suited to visual media. Any representation will always fall short of the mental images.

It could be argued that kel'thuzad had a greed for power/knowledge though if we are talking greed specifically.
    Shortly after her death, Vashj's soul arrived in Maldraxxus, an afterlife for those who value strength, serving the House of Eyes, who are the spymasters of the Necrolord Covenant.

Kel'Thuzad's soul ascended to Maldraxxus, where he quickly became a member of the House of Rituals.

I guess they valued strength more.

A greedy person would be something like a Goblin.

There is some grey area between Maldraxxus, Revendreth and the Maw.

I expected Garrosh to be sent to Maldraxxus yet, he ended up in Revendreth, probably because the Sha of Pride. He, also, fits the Maw as he was MoP's big baddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Halyon View Post

I wish they were a little more alien/mysterious. They all come across as goody two shoes, even the Wild Hunt.

An afterlife zone based on wealth accumulation and economics.

Where cartels thrive and trade resources for anima. Ethereals, goblins, etc.

There's a lack of actual evil in the maw. Would like to see a zone like the maw/torghast but strictly for punishing pedos and those who try to sexualise children.

Quote Originally Posted by intenz View Post
    There's a lack of actual evil in the maw. Would like to see a zone like the maw/torghast but strictly for punishing pedos and those who try to sexualise children.
    Yea...where are all the famous evil characters? i guess we have to wait for a Maw raid.

Jeez... isn't that too much for a PG-13 game? what are you expecting? big "johnson" NPCs raping the pedos?

7+ Year Old Account
    That's, exactly, what it is. Might not be on the scale of a zone because it is a dungeon.
    there is just fucking vrykuls there, there is no other warriors besides you, i want to see real vanlhala, not golden vrykul bullshit

Quote Originally Posted by intenz View Post
    That's the maw though. The maw is for the truly vile and unredeemable characters. There's something to be said for a realm for the mad, which isn't truly evil, but would still be dangerous...it'd also lack coherency.

Outside of that it'd have to be something entirely new that we can't relate to anything...which the maw kinsof falls under as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Moonrage View Post
    I wish they were a little more alien/mysterious. They all come across as goody two shoes, even the Wild Hunt.
    That's actual fae. They have no concept of morals like we do, same as nature. It just does as it does to survive, and in the case of fae, for amusement and because they want to and can do so.

Coherency would be harder, but judging from the venthyr, they could at least make something passable for a more 'light-side' morally grey realm, as while I like all the the gothic vampire stuff, it does get a little dreary sometimes, and maining a hunter, that their covenant ability is so abysmally bad...

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezer View Post
    I'd like something completely and utterly alien. All of these zones look like they could be found on forgotten corner of Azeroth. Give me sentient wavefunctions existing on the surface of a neutron star.
    This. As much as I hate the Maw, I must admit that it is the only zone that looks vaguely similar to what I would expect from the literal hell of Warcraft. Bastion looks like an expanded HoV, I'm not particulary interested in either HD Plaguelands or HD Ashenvale/Moonglade, and Revendreth, while it actually looks cool, it still is too "Azerothian" for my taste.

It's sad when even the zones from Outland, more than 12 years ago, look more alien, more novel than the freaking afterlife.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    Yes, but people would say "his castle" not "the castle." Which was my actual argument. They do not reference the Maw as The Jailer's domain, the Maw is always just referred to as the Maw. Why wouldn't they reference directly the Jailer always ruled the Maw? Or that it was his domain.

The Primus also describes the Maw when Zoval was bound as already "inescapable." You don't really need a Jailer if people can't escape already. And just because he held the title of The Jailer before he was imprisoned doesn't mean he ruled the Maw. The Maw isn't the only realm where jails are seen. They are also in Revendreth and implied in the other realms. So, the Maw being jail doesn't have to be true.

My argument on the Jailer having ruled another plain is because they use ambiguous language where it can be read one way or another. There are implications the Jailer didn't rule over the Maw just as there are implications he did. When we deal with the Primus, The Archon, The Winter Queen, and The Sire they all have unambiguous language when referring to their realms. And given that we know there are infinite afterlives, the idea that the Jailer ruled another one is not out of the question.
    They never said they couldn't escape it. The way these leaders act they never seem to specifically allude to what they can or cannot do. I was just discussing how the Winter Queen seems like a really crappy leader as she's letting the drust screw up her domain and then is just fairly easily dealing with them when she engages, but then I thought maybe she's trying to conserve etc or not let on to her power so it disrupts planning. Souls cannot escape the maw except for us for some reason or those we lead away. They never said the pantheon cannot freely traverse it nor have they directly implied they cannot except for Zoval who was "imprisoned" there. They don't really need to say that term when it's the only place souls cannot leave as any other soul is said to be "sent" to the maw. Big difference. I could be wrong and would be willing to accept it later, but everything points to that being what he was responsible for back before the uprising as it currently stands.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    This. As much as I hate the Maw, I must admit that it is the only zone that looks vaguely similar to what I would expect from the literal hell of Warcraft. Bastion looks like an expanded HoV, I'm not particulary interested in either HD Plaguelands or HD Ashenvale/Moonglade, and Revendreth, while it actually looks cool, it still is too "Azerothian" for my taste.

It's sad when even the zones from Outland, more than 12 years ago, look more alien, more novel than the freaking afterlife.
    Why does the afterlife need to look alien? Hell I mean a lot of human afterlife concepts in religion often replicate human life except for their hells.