Poll: Who is Your Favorite GTA Protagonist?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Post Who is Your Favorite GTA Protagonist?

Love or hate the franchise, it's one of the biggest in the gaming industry. Definitely polarizing.

For those who have played the games which protagonist is your favorite one?

Could be for any reason or no reason at all. For the poll I am only listing protagonists from the 3D era and beyond, but if your favorite comes from a game before GTA 3 then please do share.

My favorite: Niko from GTA IV. Personally I think GTA IV is more fun to play than GTA 5 and one of those reasons if for Niko.

Tommy Vercetti. Vice City was my favorite GTA game. Had the best radio stations ever, VCPR was amazing, had that on all the time when I would play.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandragon View Post
    Tommy Vercetti. Vice City was my favorite GTA game. Had the best radio stations ever, VCPR was amazing, had that on all the time when I would play.

Tommy is my 2nd. Mostly for nostalgia has GTA: VC was the very first GTA game I ever played and I'm a fan of Ray Liotta.

Gotta be Lamar.

'Niggaaaaa.....

Quote Originally Posted by Pandragon View Post
    This so much. Vice City was the shit, omg that game was so good.

CJ - San Andreas, because it's the only one I played through.
    "May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce"

"May the Goddess smile upon you."

"Hero", is what they've all been saying. This world, it isn't worth the saving."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabled View Post
    CJ - San Andreas, because it's the only one I played through.

All you had to do was FOLLOW THE DAMN TRAIN, CJ!

10+ Year Old Account
    Absolutely Tommy. Vice city still is the best GTA. I just loved that 80's vibe.

I'll always remember the scene of Nico sitting at his bosses kitchen table with the bosses wife and instead of the usual small talk goes on a full "i've killed people, sold people, smuggled people" speech. He has absolutely no illusions he is an underdog, doing it "for the family" or any other excuse. He is blunt and brutally honest about it and its like the antithesis of the gta online shit summed up in a single cutscene.

'Ah shit, here we go again…'

Tommy Vercetti. With how much better they’ve done with characters and story over the last couple games, I really wish he(and VC as a whole) could have gotten that same treatment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Smash Adams View Post
    Tommy Vercetti. With how much better they’ve done with characters and story over the last couple games, I really wish he(and VC as a whole) could have gotten that same treatment.

And unfortunately, if speculation/leaks about GTA 6 taking place back in Vice City and in modern day times, Tommy will either be dead or way too old to be relevant for furthering his character development.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    I'll always remember the scene of Nico sitting at his bosses kitchen table with the bosses wife and instead of the usual small talk goes on a full "i've killed people, sold people, smuggled people" speech. He has absolutely no illusions he is an underdog, doing it "for the family" or any other excuse. He is blunt and brutally honest about it and its like the antithesis of the gta online shit summed up in a single cutscene.

Niko always came off to me as the most relatable protagonist.

10+ Year Old Account
    I only picked Claude because he's the first GTA character I played as in the whole series. GTA 3 was also the game I remember having the most fun in any GTA game with al lthe cheats I used to use. I'm pretty sure it was also my very first open world game. So I have a lot of good memories with Claude and GTA 3. The other GTA games I've played a lot in are GTA San Andreas, GTA 4, and GTA 5.

The one I want to play the most is Vice City. I'm 80s guy born in the 90s so playing a GTA game set in the 80s sounds fun. I also played a little of it a long time ago but from what I remember I was just driving around and harassing people so I want to actually play through the story this time around.
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2021-01-13 at 08:37 PM.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

10+ Year Old Account
    Have to imagine most people will pick either Tommy or CJ. They are the two stand outs. All three of GTAV's protagonists are also pretty solid characters but lose out a bit by having to share the spotlight so to speak.

For me, it's Tommy. Although Lance Vance will always be my favorite GTA character.

Michael for GTAV. He was a complete character and a great analog to popular culture's view of the gangster. GTA is a satire; good satire is robust and accurate to what it attempts to satirize.

Having Michael's son be a stand-in for misappropriating and culture agnostic white males and Michael's specific interactions with his son are golden. *chef's kiss*

GTAV was one of the best-written games I ever played.

Edit: This is great. The actual actors play out this iconic scene IRL.

Last edited by Fencers; 2021-01-13 at 08:52 PM.

That's a hard choice, seeing as most of them have unique traits that make them great characters in their own right. I'd say Niko is the best all-rounder, but I guess also he's too much of a good guy for a GTA character. Well, maybe not a good guy per se, but at least the only one that ever questions his actions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    That's a hard choice, seeing as most of them have unique traits that make them great characters in their own right. I'd say Niko is the best all-rounder, but I guess also he's too much of a good guy for a GTA character. Well, maybe not a good guy per se, but at least the only one that ever questions his actions.
    I certainly felt that he had some sort of moral compass, a recognition that what he was doing and the way he was living was wrong, a sense that he was being a bad guy, but with some sort of desire to be better, a recognition that he could be better, but he kept falling into the same old traps. I certainly liked Niko.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

Surprised Niko Bellic isn't the most liked. Personally, I think the series peaked with GTA IV and the protagonist really reflects that. GTA V sadly only has meme characters that function as very on the nose caricatures (Franklin was the only one I kinda liked) which made the story totally unappealing to me. I mean, I get that GTA is supposed to have satirical elements but when every character exists solely to deliver punchlines or make fun of certain stereotypes, it lessens the overall impact the story can have. In general, the series steered much to hard in the Saint's Row direction which is a shame because the atmosphere and tone of GTA IV was almost perfect in my opinion (even with the more wacky stories like Ballad of Gay Tony). It also didn't help that they killed off characters like Johnny Klebitz for shock value in order to make their deranged meth joker look more threatening or whatever.

Damn, writing this I realized that I really need to replay GTA IV.

Victor Vance I think, played the PSP Vice City way too much before.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Yeah, that would be Niko for me as well. Not sure if it is because I am from Eastern Europe, or because Niko felt much more real and grounded person, as opposed to the more insane shenanigans other protagonists get up to. It was also about something else than just getting rich.
    Whole GTA IV felt more dark than other games as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.