Question Thematic covenant choice for mages?

Been thinking of leveling my mage alt but just for having some fun, not raiding or pvp so what gives best DPS does not matter to me.
    Wanted a thematic playthrough but frankly none of the covenants feels related to frost or fire.

Arcane is a tiny bit represented in night fae, i guess, but the rest is mostly disconnected from the Mage theme.
    Maldraxxus is played from a plague/necromancy/physical theme and the few mages present in House of Rituals are exceptions and enemies.
    Venthyr is blood/shadow/anima and bastion is... bastion.

I feel that none of them fit the mages and end up being "tacked on" instead of a familiar appropriate place for the mages...

I feel like mages are best represented by Maldraxxus, actually. Yeah, it gives the impression of necromancy, etc, but in all honesty there is nothing that says "mage" more than "lich". Becoming undead casts off the limitations of mortality, allowing you to study magic and whatever else for as long as you can avoid being killed by something stronger than you. The Necrolord mage ability essentially just buffs your existing school and turns you into a lich temporarily. Compared to the other covenants, I feel necrolord is hands down the de facto "mage" covenant. Seeking power and knowledge is kind of a mages MO. Plus look at the others.

Kyrian? I suppose if you're just...a really good, self-sacrificing kind of character then sure?

Night Fae? Definitely druids, hunters, and possibly shamans. Not mages.

Venthyr? Kind of similar to kyrian in that it works in a very specific scenario, but not really.

A mage who has dedicated their lives to serving others, even laying down their lives to protect them, would belong in Bastion. Perhaps a mage like Antonidas, who laid down his life to protect Dalaran from the Scourge, or Khadgar who closed the Dark Portal in order to protect Azeroth from Draenor's destruction.
    A mage who seeks power, or perhaps simply knowledge, at all costs, would belong in Maldraxxus. This could include darker sorcerers like Kel'thuzad, or perhaps the mighty Magna Aegwynn.
    Revendreth is an interesting one because people tend to suggest it's mostly for sinners, as we see with Kael'thas, but if you're allying with the Venthyr then you actually want to be the sort who enjoys helping to reform those sinners, or maybe you're in it for the hunts or the parties. Medivh was known to enjoy such lavish banquets, and I feel he'd probably be right at home among the Venthyr aristocracy.
    Night Fae magi are deeply in touch with the natural world. This likely includes some Night Elf Magi, taught by the Highborne of Eldre'thalas, along with Orcs who have a similar connection to the world through the cultural practice of Shamanism.

Additionally, you may find that as an adventurer you wish to simply help the covenant you like the most. That's a valid lore decision, to aid the people you feel are most in need of your help. You may also choose the one which sims the best or makes you feel strongest, as it will give you the best chance of defeating the Jailer, if you consider that your main priority within the Shadowlands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbreed View Post
    Mexico is already part of the USA so is Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalar View Post
    Shadow deserves nothing, the same as Fire Mages.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Depends less on your class/spec and more on your Character's personality. Kel'thuzad was a member of the Council of Six at one point (Maldraxxus). Zanza the Restless is a loa that created the overwhelmingly powerful Arcanum (Ardenweald). Even when he was just a handsomely powerful mage, Illidan Stormrage did everything for what he considered the "greater good" (Bastion), and everyone knows where Kael'thas is repenting (Revendreth).

Who is your mage? Why do you wield the Arcane and fight for Azeroth and beyond? Each Covenant have their own objectives, methods, Afterlives to watch and campaigns - which ones align with his personality? If your mage died, where would they end upon?

I agree it is about more about the character than a class.
    Bastion - is about duty. forgetting your past life in order to serve. Example - I guess Guardians (Medivh, Khadgar) could be here
    Maldraxxus - is strictly about power. you retain your memories of past life because they give you motivation to fight. Example - Kel'Thuzad
    Revendreth - is about politics and diplomacy. souls atone for their sins there to be redeemed. Example - Kael'thas Sunstrider, maybe Thalyssra
    Ardenweald - is indeed about nature, rest and hibernation. You don't want to go there :P

If we only look at mages as being mages, and not anything else, the only one I cannot argue for is Bastion.

Maldraxus: While filled with necromantic magic, most necromancers did start as mages. Furthermore, liches are effectively powerful mages surpassing the limitations of life. For the mages that study magic for the sake of power, Maldraxxus is perfect for them.

Ardenweald: The place is effectively the mixture of arcane and druidic magic that was introduced in Suramar turned to eleven. The night fae casters also seem to use a decent amount of spells that arcane mages use (polymorph, blink, mirror image, illusions, arcane blast looking stuff).

Revendreth: Assuming you aren't there as a sinner, there is so much magic like stuff involved in practically everything the venthyr does, a mage would be really proficient in the use of the rituals which the venthyr conduct. Revendreth would be the mages (and lets be honest, warlocks) that does questionable rituals, and make ethically questionable spells, but are still restrained by some moral code, which a maldraxxian mage would not have.

As for Bastion... Seems more like a place for enchanters than mages specifically.

Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Depends less on your class/spec and more on your Character's personality. Kel'thuzad was a member of the Council of Six at one point (Maldraxxus). Zanza the Restless is a loa that created the overwhelmingly powerful Arcanum (Ardenweald). Even when he was just a handsomely powerful mage, Illidan Stormrage did everything for what he considered the "greater good" (Bastion), and everyone knows where Kael'thas is repenting (Revendreth).

Who is your mage? Why do you wield the Arcane and fight for Azeroth and beyond? Each Covenant have their own objectives, methods, Afterlives to watch and campaigns - which ones align with his personality? If your mage died, where would they end upon?
    Illidan would be in Revendreath.

He has all the same problems, and almost the same storyline too, of Kael'Thas.

The greater good isn't even in Bastion at all, in fact "greater good" is antithetical to the Bastion way of life.

Greater good implies that you know what's best regardless of fact or sacrifice. That's just pride.

Whereas doing what's good despite it being a sacrifice is something far more different and noble.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyway, Bastion is about Order. Yes with a capital O. It's literally an area of the arcane, everything is structured, studied and built. It's a place for mages that have a love of knowledge and finding out that order.

Maldraxxus is about power, but more than that it's about the power to fight. To win at all costs. You can see this in Kel'Thuzad being sent here (possibly twice?). In his descent into service to the LK he was forced to do anything to win but also his choices were all motivated by fear.

Ardenweald is about just the love of magic as magic. Yes there's an arcane vibe, but that vibe is far more "elunish" than not. Like I'm actually rather surprised we don't see a bunch of Moonkin wandering around there too. So if you're a mage that loves magic for just being magic it would be a good fit.

Revendreth is about pride, power and knowing you're right. You have no need to conquer anything but yourself as every day spent in there is an attempt to move past your sins of pride, arrogance, dominance. This is where you go if you are unwilling to ever admit a mistake and then you will have that trait ground out of you.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    Illidan would be in Revendreath.

He has all the same problems, and almost the same storyline too, of Kael'Thas.

The greater good isn't even in Bastion at all, in fact "greater good" is antithetical to the Bastion way of life.

Greater good implies that you know what's best regardless of fact or sacrifice. That's just pride.

Whereas doing what's good despite it being a sacrifice is something far more different and noble.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyway, Bastion is about Order.
    No, Bastion is about wanting to do the best thing. Striving for the greater good.

Sure maybe Mage Illidan could've gone to Revendreth but once he got purged of that pride he would've been sent to Bastion - or maybe not, since he is his scars.

Quote Originally Posted by oderon View Post
    I agree it is about more about the character than a class.
    Bastion - is about duty. forgetting your past life in order to serve. Example - I guess Guardians (Medivh, Khadgar) could be here
    Id Say Khadgar could go there, but Medivh wouldn't, he would be either Maldraxxus or Revendreth.

Thematically:
    Arcane -> associated with Aluneth, Guardian, Medivh/Khadgar -> Bastion.
    Fire -> Kaelthas -> obv Venthyr.
    Frost -> Northrend, cold, frozen, necromancy, WotLK vibes -> Maldrax.