Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

There's literally no reason we shouldn't be able to reforge Frostmourne as DK's

Honestly, I HAVE to think Blizzard is purposely fucking with us. But we literally have the shards of Frostmourne, we're on good terms with the dude who made it in the first place, and 2hand Frost is playable again -- just let it freaking HAPPEN, Blizzard!

Honestly, it might actually give me a spark of fucking excitement in this expansion again.

For one of the least played melee classes, sure.

They have shown that they can contrive the lore as needs be so yeah there are no reasons why DK's can't have Frostmourne.

If they made it a limited time thing, I'd actually consider buying Shadowlands for this even though they've ruined the context which made Frostmourne a cool weapon to begin with.
    The absolute state of Warcraft lore in 2021:
    Kyrians: We need to keep chucking people into the Maw because it's our job.
    Also Kyrians: Why is the Maw growing stronger despite all our efforts?

Frostmourne is more popular in the playerbase as a warrior weapon, despite it being a runeblade. Guilds in Wotlk gave it to Fury warriors over any blood of Frost DK, as dual wield frost was better at the time. Blizzard will not give to DK's, as there'd be many complaints from Warriors.

Eitherway, just go transmog Frostmourne, instead of complaining like a child.
    Last edited by Crushima; 2021-08-16 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Voidwielder View Post
    For one of the least played melee classes, sure.

They have shown that they can contrive the lore as needs be so yeah there are no reasons why DK's can't have Frostmourne.
    I mean, I'm not kidding when I said there's literally no reason. It doesn't even require "bending the lore" (even if it's basically garbage right now, sadly). It's honestly a shame it wasn't an Artifact back in Legion, given how much you could've done with new appearances (at the same time, I'd have probably made Unholy's Artifact a massive Scythe, but that's neither here not there).

They already gave it a sweet new makeover in Legion, I believe, so it's not like it even requires any real effort to have a good-looking version of it for us to unlock.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crushima View Post
    Frostmourne is more popular in the playerbase as a warrior weapon, despite is being a runeblade. Blizzard will not give to DK's, as there'd be many complaints from Warriors.

Are you talking about Shadowmourne?

It's widely rumored (with loads of evidence) that Shadowmourne literally only exists, because Warriors got more damage out of Axes back in Wrath in PvE, so it honestly makes sense it would seem almost synonymous with "Warriors".

Frostmourne really needs to be a Death Knight-ONLY weapon, though. It is as core to the class's identity -- in fact, even moreso -- than Ashbringer was to Paladins.

7+ Year Old Account
    We already did with the Blades of the Fallen Prince, which were stated as being more powerful than Frostmourne. They likely would not release Frostmourne as a transmog option either due to how iconic it is.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

Frostmourne is more popular in the playerbase as a warrior weapon, despite it being a runeblade. Guilds in Wotlk gave it to Fury warriors over any blood of Frost DK, as dual wield frost was better at the time. Blizzard will not give to DK's, as there'd be many complaints from Warriors.

Just because shadowmourne stat stick wise was a warrior preferred weapon doesnt mean they should get a new version. I dont even play DK and I think it should get a class quest specific thing for DKs.

Though they'd pretty much have to bring back artifact weapons to really make it work but I'm all for that if the Primus helped us all make one, even if only the final patch of this turd of an expansion.

Also nice personal insult to the OP, not a very gpod way to hold a civil discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Except it would only be "textbook" confirmation bias if I fully believed that a third spec was actually coming.

Why not make it something like the Warlock Green Fire quest chain? They should be adding more fun pieces of content like that that are challenging and offer a cosmetic reward to a class.

It'd certainly be cool if Frostmourne as a Death Knight legendary would make 2h Frost competative with DW and Unholy.
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    you're not supposed to kill someone unless they kill you first. it's common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    Why not make it something like the Warlock Green Fire quest chain? They should be adding more fun pieces of content like that that are challenging and offer a cosmetic reward to a class.
    That's exactly how it should be implemented. One can easily imagine a challenge scenario that involves protecting the Primus as he forges the weapon, gripping enemies away, using AMS to negate deadly spells, generally test a DK's mastery of their toolkit and reward them with a 2H mog version of the weapon if they succeed. Now that we're pals with the guy who literally made the sword and have ready access to the resources of both the Maw and Maldraxxus there's no lore reason not to have the weapon available to players.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wasn't part of the DK campaign in Legion reforging parts of Frostmourne into 2 swords? I don't recall.

Not that the lore is anything particularly on point these days, but I think thematically the forging of Shadowmourne was a better alternative. Frostmourne is the "evil" blade that laid waste to so much. It wouldn't be hard to see it's wielder attacked on sight in any place in the world.

I'd rather have two-handed versions of the legion 1h artifact skins personally

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    That's exactly how it should be implemented. One can easily imagine a challenge scenario that involves protecting the Primus as he forges the weapon, gripping enemies away, using AMS to negate deadly spells, generally test a DK's mastery of their toolkit and reward them with a 2H mog version of the weapon if they succeed. Now that we're pals with the guy who literally made the sword and have ready access to the resources of both the Maw and Maldraxxus there's no lore reason not to have the weapon available to players.
    Completely agreed, that would be the best-case scenario. But even if Blizzard REALLY wanted to skimp on resources, they could just make us run a special solo-only Torghast (maybe curated to be less RNG-based with set powers and bosses, so it isn't impossible OR too easy).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nayami View Post
    I'd rather have two-handed versions of the legion 1h artifact skins personally
    That's honestly something I'd thought of in the past, as well. Just scale the size up, and then maybe extend the handle a little bit extra if needed. It might not all look PERFECT, but I do agree, there's honestly some nice designs there, it's just a shame they're all 1handers.

But even so, I still just think you've got to have the OG Frostmourne as an option.

Frostmourne is not an available transmog.

Additionally, The idea that it (Shadowmourne) was more popular as a fury warrior's weapon is objectively false. Shadowmourne was used more often by Blood and Unholy DK's than it was Fury warriors. It was a best in slot weapon for every strength class, but only one of them could use it to tank with, and because of that, getting a Shadowmourne was easier for a DK. The process of unholy infusion was far easier for a DK than a warrior. Often, a DK could as the offtank take control of the Abom, and infuse Shadow's Edge without missing a stroke. A fury warrior doing that would mean a DPS was MIA, and an unnecessary tank (assuming they didn't have an OS) would drop the dps of the group. Blood mirror infusion was meant for a blood DK, because they could withstand the damage of the blood mirror while waiting to get bitten, but I watched it flatten fury warriors attempting the same thing. The Frost infusion.... if you can honestly say a DK in frost presence has a harder time surviving getting breathed on by Sindragosa during content, and you can do so with a straight face, I won't spit in your mouth and tell you not to insult my intellect, but you're still wrong. Thematically, it was more versatile in a DK's hand, it was the only class that could tank using it, and the sort of damage it did in an Unholy DK's hands was nothingto sneeze at... AND an Unholy DK didn't then need another two-handed weapon to complete a load out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nenavn View Post
    It'd certainly be cool if Frostmourne as a Death Knight legendary would make 2h Frost competative with DW and Unholy.
    I disagree with this assertion. If you need a specific weapon in order to be worth a damn, that idea is just plain bad.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Myokony View Post
    You already have it.
    Have what? The Frostmourne transmog? No.
    Frostmourne weapon? No we don't.
    A reforged version of Frostmourne in the form of 2 arming swords. Yeah, but I don't think that's the same thing as the OP is suggesting.
    Last edited by Melusine; 2021-08-17 at 03:23 PM.
    "The fatal flaw of every plan, no matter how well planned, is the assumption that you know more than your enemy."

I had been saying DKs felt narratively shafted this expansion, a warlock green fire/Hati reincarnation length questline that brings back the frost artifact weapon mechanically similarly to when we saw Xal'atath again that ends with a reforged Frostmourne would be pretty damn sick.

1) Take the artifact weapon to the Primus, who recalls crafting Frostmourne. Bolvar and the Four Horsemen vouch that you can handle its power.
    2) The Primus eventually agrees, and you go on a scavenger hunt, primarily to every corner of the Maw and Korthia, but also the four covenant zones and Icecrown. As you go around, you get the Echos of the Lich King that the old artifact weapon triggered with some new ominous dialogue.
    3) Maybe finish it off with having to fight the Remnant of Ner'zhul in the new raid, where he has some flavor text aimed at the death knight akin to when you brought A'tiesh into Karazhan.
    4) The sword is reforged in its glory, but the moment you touch it you find yourself in the "inside the sword" subzone, as you fight through a solo boss fight akin to the Mage Tower to avoid your soul succumbing to the sword as Arthas's did.

There we go, take my money, Blizzard!
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2021-08-17 at 03:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemah View Post
    Wasn't part of the DK campaign in Legion reforging parts of Frostmourne into 2 swords? I don't recall.

Not that the lore is anything particularly on point these days, but I think thematically the forging of Shadowmourne was a better alternative. Frostmourne is the "evil" blade that laid waste to so much. It wouldn't be hard to see it's wielder attacked on sight in any place in the world.
    Yes, Frostmourne was reforged into two swords for Frost DK's in Legion.

During Icecrown Citadel, I thought Shadowmourne was thematically stupid. To be fair, an axe should have been made specifically for Warriors. In order to get the axe made would require killing Deathbringer Saurfang, since the axe would have been his axe, and it would need rebuilt and made usable by warriors without causing the curse of undeath that was lain upon the newly risen younger Saurfang. The elder Saurfang would help with its creation. Death knights should have had access to a sword that would have followed a similar path to the creation of Shadowmourne. And then, there is paladins, who would take up Arthas' old hammer, and have the assistance of Tirion Fordring in order to finalize and sanctify its construction. I would also have suggested for those who built Valanyr, that weapon should have been able to be bolstered to at least 264 or 271 so it could continue being useful into the ICC tier and not be obsolete in the same expac that it was originally obtained.

It makes sense now why Frostmourne was unduplicable without the Primus' assistance, but also true is, a mourneblade may be required to snap Anduin away from the domination sigils on the armor he now wears. Additionally, A fragment from the Naaru in Revendreth might be required to build a weapon capable of destroying Kingsmourne in the same fashion that the Ashbringer destroyed Frostmourne. And I can think of no one better to pull that off than Alexandros Mograine, who now bears a sword very similar to the sword that canonically destroyed Frostmourne.

If World of Warcraft was my game to create a story for, that is how it would work. Death knights would have the task of creating a mourneblade identical to Frostmourne in order to fight Anduin and Alexandros Mograine would be the one who destroys Kingsmourne. And ultimately, the one who will strike down the Jailer is.... ah, that is a tale for another time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    I had been saying DKs felt narratively shafted this expansion, a warlock green fire/Hati reincarnation length questline that brings back the frost artifact weapon mechanically similarly to when we saw Xal'atath again that ends with a reforged Frostmourne would be pretty damn sick.

1) Take the artifact weapon to the Primus, who recalls crafting Frostmourne. Bolvar and the Four Horsemen vouch that you can handle its power.
    2) The Primus eventually agrees, and you go on a scavenger hunt, primarily to every corner of the Maw and Korthia, but also the four covenant zones and Icecrown. As you go around, you get the Echos of the Lich King that the old artifact weapon triggered with some new ominous dialogue.
    3) Maybe finish it off with having to fight the Remnant of Ner'zhul in the new raid, where he has some flavor text aimed at the death knight akin to when you brought A'tiesh into Karazhan.
    4) The sword is reforged in its glory, but the moment you touch it you find yourself in the "inside the sword" subzone, as you fight through a solo boss fight akin to the Mage Tower to avoid your soul succumbing to the sword as Arthas's did.

There we go, take my money, Blizzard!
    That is actually really good.

Do you remember in Mists of Pandaria, when we unlocked the Thunder forges? If you did, you'd remember that we helped Wrathion create a spear, and if you had a blacksmith, you could get 4 patterns of old weapons that had the heading "<weapon name here>, Reborn. I was of the opinion that, for those who managed to get a Thunderfury, that would have been a perfect time to construct a Reborn version of that weapon, so it could canonically be used once more to take down the Thunder King. I also said the same thing of Sulfuras when we fought Ragnaros in the Firelands, how it would have been awesome for us, the players to take Sulfuras and merge it with the Extinguished Sulfuras to make a reborn version of Sulfuras. I would be totally fine with a Death Knight presenting the Primus the burned out husk of the twin swords of the fallen prince and have them merged into the vessel for Frostmourne, Reborn, personally.
    "The fatal flaw of every plan, no matter how well planned, is the assumption that you know more than your enemy."

10+ Year Old Account

The irony in your snarky post is gold.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account

I've never seen anybody in so dire need of deleting a post before. You need to consider it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I think a cosmetic Frostmourne xmog would be a nice gift at the close of Shadowlands, once we've defeated and/or handled the Jailer. Wouldn't necessarily make it class-specific or restricted, just give it was an Artifact-type xmog option for classes who can use 2H melee weapons as an extra bonus, more or less.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead