Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    As long as warriors get Shalamayne for arms and the split version for fury

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glazey View Post
    I don't see how I am. The Runeblade is more of a conduit for the DK to channel his powers, not the Runeblade grants the powers itself. There is a difference. Arthas became a Death Knight after Frostmourne sucked out his soul, but it didn't give him powers. Only a means to channel it.
    Not correct.
    “Whomsoever takes up this blade shall wield power eternal. Just as the blade rends flesh, so must power scar the spirit.”
    — The inscription on Frostmourne's dais

Now you can say, well that might have been retconned. But no it hasnt been.

"This dark agent runs free on a mortal world with the power of the maw itself in hand!" - Afterlives: Bastion, Devos.

It is CRUCIAL to note that when Arthas killed Uther, and the vision Devos saw, Arthas DIDNOT have the helm of domination. Devos had no way of knowing what else was there as Uther did not either. All she knew and saw was frostmourne and the runes upon it confirmed where it came from.

So we know it has its own power. but we do not know how it works entirely "yet".

It is also important to note from the runecarver's memory that when the jailer talks about the vessel"s" of domination, he doesnt use singular and he doesnt show just the helm. He shows both frostmourne AND THE HELM. Sidenote: This is why many people wonder if sylvanas would have defeated bolvar as easily if he had frostmourne (she would have, because in the end the jailer holds the leash on all of them, including sylvanas).

The armor has been pretty much been retconned to being the helmet only. That's where the true power of the Lich King resided. That is where Arthas controlled the massive amounts of undead. Bolvar was able to control the undead just as well as Arthas, but didn't have Frostmourne, and raised a entirely new generation of Death Knights without it also.
    yeap the armor has been retconned, which makes sense based on the new lore. Jailer is/was only really concerned with the helm and the sword.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    now lore aside
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

the issue with frostmourne is that it was shattered and never looted. HOWEVER, blizzard is whacky. just because it was shattered DOESNOT mean it cant be had again. We already have examples in game of this discrepancy. e.g:
    1. player and khadgar BOTH have atiesh
    2. corrupted ashbringer in the hands of the player vs darion having it and giving it to tirion then the player having it.

so honestly lore is a point but that doesnt mean blizzard hasnt kicked it or molded into something else before. and the runecarver being present does open the possibility that it could be offered.

as a time walking thing, where you help the runecarver reforge it
    or go back and steal it w.e they can make it happen.

BUT
    which ever way they chose to go, it will either muck up the lore or dilute it. everyone will have a different opinion on that (and they are allowed to).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    As long as warriors get Shalamayne for arms and the split version for fury
    you guys got ashkandi and gorehowl have some shame!
    Blood Elves were based on a STRONG request from a poll of Asian players where many remarked on the Horde side that they and their girlfriends wanted a non-creepy femme race to play (Source)

Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    Not correct.
    “Whomsoever takes up this blade shall wield power eternal. Just as the blade rends flesh, so must power scar the spirit.”

Now you can say, well that might have been retconned. But no it hasnt been.

"This dark agent runs free on a mortal world with the power of the maw itself in hand!" - Afterlives: Bastion, Devos.

It is CRUCIAL to note that when Arthas killed Uther, and the vision Devos saw, Arthas DIDNOT have the helm of domination. Devos had no way of knowing what else was there as Uther did not either. All she knew and saw was frostmourne and the runes upon it confirmed where it came from.

So we know it has its own power. but we do not know how it works entirely "yet".

It is also important to note from the runecarver's memory that when the jailer talks about the vessel"s" of domination, he doesnt use singular and he doesnt show just the helm. He shows both frostmourne AND THE HELM. Sidenote: This is why many people wonder if sylvanas would have defeated bolvar as easily if he had frostmourne (she would have, because in the end the jailer holds the leash on all of them, including sylvanas).
    I'd argue that the dais were referring to the wielder becoming a Death Knight, holding power eternal as Death Knights cannot truly die. The dais were just warning the user of the curse it gave its wielder.

Until it becomes more solidified what the new lore entails, all we have to go on is what was already established. Right now, all Frostmourne and other mourneblades are conduits to some form of power.

It's intended that the Vessels of Domination are a set, but what Frostmourne plays past a conduit for power is in the air.

alanar, can you stop being weird.
    Last edited by Glazey; 2021-01-19 at 07:33 PM.

I don't see how I am. The Runeblade is more of a conduit for the DK to channel his powers, not the Runeblade grants the powers itself. There is a difference.

Arthas became a Death Knight after Frostmourne sucked out his soul, but it didn't give him powers. Only a means to channel it. The armor has been pretty much been retconned to being the helmet only. That's where the true power of the Lich King resided. That is where Arthas controlled the massive amounts of undead. Bolvar was able to control the undead just as well as Arthas, but didn't have Frostmourne, and raised a entirely new generation of Death Knights without it also.
    There is no magic in WoW that just instantly makes you learn everything a class would need, you need to train for years which arthas never did, the runeblade and the armor is what granted him all his power, without it he is no more than an undead paladin, when your created into a deadthknight through the weapon you only have access to the powers it gives you, if your created from the soul of a warlock then you have access to what abilties that soul had.

The runes in a runeblade hold the powers, all the deathknight does is channel power into them to activate the abilties, a deathknight is weak without a runeblade, rune magic works through the weapon to activate abilities and through training they can learn things that dont require rune magic since the player DK has spent years as one and trained in many abilties.

Frostmourne is the most powerful runeblade ever created and holds the actual power of the Maw itself.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2021-01-19 at 07:35 PM.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    You are that weird person in this room..

You dont get the memo? Let go and leave me alone. I know you are salty and feel the need to call me in every post, but this is sad. You got reported multiple times now. Do you get it now?

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    There is no magic in WoW that just instantly makes you learn everything a class would need, you need to train for years which arthas never did, the runeblade and the armor is what granted him all his power, without it he is no more than an undead paladin, when your created into a deadthknight through the weapon you only have access to the powers it gives you, if your created from the soul of a warlock then you have access to what abilties that soul had.

The runes in a runeblade hold the powers, all the deathknight does is channel power into them to activate the abilties, a deathknight is weak without a runeblade, rune magic works through the weapon to activate abilities and through training they can learn things that dont require rune magic since the player DK has spent years as one and trained in many abilties.

Frostmourne is the most powerful runeblade ever created and holds the actual power of the Maw itself.
    With Blizzard, gameplay trumps lore reasons.

Frostmourne doesn't raise the undead. This is a fact. Frostmourne doesn't control the undead. This is a fact. Frostmournes power (as far as we know) is the ability to suck the soul out of the body of its user and victims. You just said what I've been saying, so I'm failing to see the disconnect here. The Death Knight channels his powers into the weapon, and the weapon does the shit. That's exactly what a conduit is. So I'm failing to see how your original argument that the blade grants the powers is the same as the user puts his power into the weapon to activate it.

Didn't you block me Alanar, or is this just another thing that you've made up? It's quite obvious you're the kid who throws stones in a glass house.
    Last edited by Glazey; 2021-01-19 at 07:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd argue that the dais were referring to the wielder becoming a Death Knight, holding power eternal as Death Knights cannot truly die. The dais were just warning the user of the curse it gave its wielder.

Until it becomes more solidified what the new lore entails, all we have to go on is what was already established. Right now, all Frostmourne and other mourneblades are conduits to some form of power.

It's intended that the Vessels of Domination are a set, but what Frostmourne plays past a conduit for power is in the air.

well thats basically the essence of it isnt it? We dont know. Blizzard never conclusively said it. It could be argued that it means holding power eternal. Or it could mean +150 to intellect [https://wow.gamepedia.com/Frostmourne_(item)]. Or it could mean something else and wed be lost in that argument forever.

There might be a lore reason, but blizzard has been known to kick lore to the curb when needed. Who knows, maybe theyll make an exception here too (honestly, if they dont this one time, they might not ever. Cuz they already did shadowmourne in WOTLK, then blades of the fallen price in Legion, and now they have shalamourne in SL. the window is closing).

Arthas raised a whole army without the helm. And commanded them. But we dont know yet if nerzhul was using something in the back with the helm. We have no idea at all. the line between the helm and the sword has not been made clear.

Personally, i wouldnt care if it became a skin like Warglaive of Azzinoth. But i would also agree with the people saying that it dilutes the value of that item, just like the warglaives and ashbringer suffered from it.
    Blood Elves were based on a STRONG request from a poll of Asian players where many remarked on the Horde side that they and their girlfriends wanted a non-creepy femme race to play (Source)

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Frostmourne is arguably the most iconic weapon in WoW and one of the few cases where I feel like no, it should not be put in players' hands.
    The only thing keeping Frostmourne from being a transmog option is the backlash of putting a Blizz Shop price tag on it.

well thats basically the essence of it isnt it? We dont know. Blizzard never conclusively said it. It could be argued that it means holding power eternal. Or it could mean +150 to intellect [https://wow.gamepedia.com/Frostmourne_(item)]. Or it could mean something else and wed be lost in that argument forever.

There might be a lore reason, but blizzard has been known to kick lore to the curb when needed. Who knows, maybe theyll make an exception here too (honestly, if they dont this one time, they might not ever. Cuz they already did shadowmourne in WOTLK, then blades of the fallen price in Legion, and now they have shalamourne in SL. the window is closing).

Arthas raised a whole army without the helm. And commanded them. But we dont know yet if nerzhul was using something in the back with the helm. We have no idea at all. the line between the helm and the sword has not been made clear.

Personally, i wouldnt care if it became a skin like Warglaive of Azzinoth. But i would also agree with the people saying that it dilutes the value of that item, just like the warglaives and ashbringer suffered from it.
    The dais refer to a curse, the curse of undeath. I think we can safely say this is accepted interpretation of the dais.

Arthas wasn't able to raise a army himself. He had help from of Ner'zhul who was channeling his power through Frostmourne. Along with Kel'Thuzad and the Cult of the Damned using the plague to turn people into zombies. To say, Arthas raised the army himself is just silly. They listened to Arthas because Ner'zhul told them that Arthas is the Commander/General/whatever you wanna call it. This is all already established stuff.

I find the whole dilutes value argument quite dumb. Almost nothing gets removed from the game, what value does the item have past its use? Nothing, anyone can go back into that content and get it.

If you want a legendary transmog from ICC, get shadowmourne.

The broken frostmourne was an item in the database, but as someone said it is now part of the dk weapons already. so you already have it.

That part simply isn't true. The Blades of the Fallen Prince eclipse Frostmourne in power entirely. I understand they're made from the shards, but they are a very canon example of the Deathlord wielding more powerful runeblades.

With Blizzard, gameplay trumps lore reasons.

Frostmourne doesn't raise the undead. This is a fact. Frostmourne doesn't control the undead. This is a fact. Frostmournes power (as far as we know) is the ability to suck the soul out of the body of its user and victims. You just said what I've been saying, so I'm failing to see the disconnect here. The Death Knight channels his powers into the weapon, and the weapon does the shit. That's exactly what a conduit is. So I'm failing to see how your original argument that the blade grants the powers is the same as the user puts his power into the weapon to activate it.

Didn't you block me Alanar, or is this just another thing that you've made up? It's quite obvious you're the kid who throws stones in a glass house.
    Frostmourne has powers from the lich king which has the abilities to raise the undead simple fact, sapphiron the dragon was raised before arthas went to icecrown to put on the armor, all the power arthas has is in the weapon without it he does not have any ability to raise beings as undead. The weapon hold all the powers and abilties the user just activates them, so why dont you learn how runemagic actually works.

The runes on a runeblade are abilities and just need the user to activate them, thats one of the reasons deathknights were so powerful as they didnt require years of training and the weapon alone gave them a large increase in ability.

Quote Originally Posted by GrimReaper673 View Post
    That part simply isn't true. The Blades of the Fallen Prince eclipse Frostmourne in power entirely. I understand they're made from the shards, but they are a very canon example of the Deathlord wielding more powerful runeblades.
    not true at all, the lore even doesnt say they are more powerful than frostmourne just the say its without equal but we know several of the other artifact weapons are much more powerful so the lore contradicts the actual power of the blades which only hold a small fraction of some of the power frostmourne held, the lore itself is full of holes and doesnt match up anything with its actual power since the blades themselves are pretty weak compared to most others.

Frostmourne has the power of the maw itself and combined with thousands of souls its the most powerful runeblade as fact.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2021-01-19 at 08:09 PM.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

not true at all, the lore even doesnt say they are more powerful than frostmourne just the say its without equal but we know several of the other artifact weapons are much more powerful so the lore contradicts the actual power of the blades which only hold a small fraction of some of the power frostmourne held, the lore itself is full of holes and doesnt match up anything with its actual power since the blades themselves are pretty weak compared to most others.

Frostmourne has the power of the maw itself and combined with thousands of souls its the most powerful runeblade as fact.
    Such as? And where is this coming from? Your personal preference of 2H over DW? Also, Glazey is kinda right. Frostmourne is not the item responsible for raising and controlling Undead (that would be Helm of Dominance). Frostmourne is responsible for the Frost (duh) part of its wielder's powers, as well as severing the spirit of whatever it's attacking and acting as a conduit for the wielder's powers. It's also a damn good sword (in a fantasy world, IRL it would be shit ). What are Blades of the Fallen Prince? The same thing except there's two of them, they look much cooler as a sword pair (then again, DW >>>> 2H) and, I quote, "the shards of Frostmourne can be recrafted and infused with even more power". Take it as you will. That same paragraph also says that Frostmourne was crafted by the Burning Legion and we all know now that that is a load of shit

Frostmourne has powers from the lich king which has the abilities to raise the undead simple fact, sapphiron the dragon was raised before arthas went to icecrown to put on the armor, all the power arthas has is in the weapon without it he does not have any ability to raise beings as undead. The weapon hold all the powers and abilties the user just activates them, so why dont you learn how runemagic actually works.

The runes on a runeblade are abilities and just need the user to activate them, thats one of the reasons deathknights were so powerful as they didnt require years of training and the weapon alone gave them a large increase in ability.

Crafted by the Burning Legion to corrupt the world of Azeroth, the soul-stealing runeblade Frostmourne was shattered by Ashbringer atop Icecrown Citadel. Countless souls were freed from the broken blade, but others were not so fortunate. Today the shards of Frostmourne can be recrafted and infused with even more power. However, the spirits still trapped within must first be subdued and bent to the wielder's will.

Straight from the Death Knight narrative. The bolded portion indicates that the 1Hs surpass Frostmourne's power. Also, just because Frostmourne contains the power of the Maw, does not mean that Frostmourne contained the power from the WHOLE Maw. If you want to assume that consuming souls increases the power of a runeblade, then it theoretically would take no more than killing lots of things (like the murder hobos the PCs are) to have even a generic runeblade eventually surpass Frostmourne. I guarentee that my DKs "killed" stat is far higher than a few thousand. So does his runeblade exceed Frostmourne's power?

10+ Year Old Account
    The dais refer to a curse, the curse of undeath. I think we can safely say this is accepted interpretation of the dais.
    how about a counter.

how do you know power here means curse or curse of undeath? No where does it say that.

now you can say, well we know arthas lost his soul the moment he touched it. Sure we know that as players. But our knowledge is based on what blizzard has dictated and that is very fluid. We initially knew that the lich king made the armor, then we knew that nope it was kiljaeden, then we knew it was nathreziem with the legion and then we were told it was STOLEN by the nathreziem, but then it was told that the jailer had them crafted by the runecarver who then had it "delivered" to the legion and [as per the book in the spire of unseen guests] the nathreziem might be upto a great many things.

my point is. There is no "we can safely say" anymore for this item, because not only has it been in flux before, it is in flux CURRENTLY due to the runecarver in Torghast.

Which also opens the avenue that this blade can now make a return.

It is a double edged sword. pun intended.

the same flexibility that allows the swords ability to be variable, introduces the flexibility that it COULD make a comeback.

Arthas wasn't able to raise a army himself. He had help from of Ner'zhul who was channeling his power through Frostmourne.
    a source for this?

Along with Kel'Thuzad and the Cult of the Damned using the plague to turn people into zombies. To say, Arthas raised the army himself is just silly. They listened to Arthas because Ner'zhul told them that Arthas is the Commander/General/whatever you wanna call it. This is all already established stuff.
    again, source?
    you have any actual quote saying "yes nerzhul was making it happen". When Arthas raised Sylvanas he didnt have the helm. Kelthuzad wasnt there. He did it. Just as you can call it silly that he cant. I can say, well its just as dumb to say its not because all of the variables you presented didnt exist in this case.

you NEED a source. You are establishing pillars and facts without an actual quote or source.

You can make your choice. Either ignore lore completely, or use sources to back it up and involve it. Chose your position. "i want frostmourne and i dont care about lore" or "i want frostmourne because the lore supports it and it looks cool".

I find the whole dilutes value argument quite dumb. Almost nothing gets removed from the game, what value does the item have past its use? Nothing, anyone can go back into that content and get it.
    thats your opinion. and you know what they say about assholes and opinions.....
    Last edited by Minikin; 2021-01-19 at 08:34 PM.

When Arthas raised Sylvanas he didnt have the helm. Kelthuzad wasnt there. He did it.
    Arguably, it was done by the powers of Helm via Nerzhul's link to Arthas. Same as DKs have some minor Undead-rising/controlling powers via the link to Helm (or had? I mean, at this point both the blade and the helm are gone, yet nothing changes).

Unfortunately, I cannot present you with a direct quote stating that, it's more of a guess at this point. The only thing I could find that kinda-sorta-maybe fits the bill is this, from "We Ride Forth":

"The rest—*the ones who were raised into undeath without their minds intact, the ones who would simply be a Scourge upon Azeroth without the Four Horsemen’s influence—obeyed without question, whether the commands were shouted, spoken, or simply impressed into their will."

So mindless undead can be controlled with just the force of will. Then, after the Helm is shattered we get this:

"Soon, most of Acherus’s crew—and the rest of the Scourge in Northrend—would revert to mindless, frantic violence."

And then this, from the perspective of Darion Morgraine:

"If the Presence was a conduit of control and power, it felt like the conduit was crumbling. Being split apart. Mograine didn’t understand. But it felt . . . liberating. Like his mind had been bound, and the chains were slipping away, one by one. Like he hadn’t even been aware of how firmly he had been held under its control."

And from "We Ride Forth" as well - Bolvar was rising new Death Knights. Despite never having Frostmourne (or Blades) in his possesion, or having any prior knowledge of necromancy whatsoever. Not saying that Arthas did, it's just the only link between the two at this point is the Helm. That, or paladins actually have very interesting "after school" classes...

On a side note, while I was reading your post and was reminded of the hardships of the Frostmourne lore, one thought kinda amused me. So apparently, the Nathrezim stole it. And remind me, who is the dashing rogue of a villain that we encounter in the first raid in Shadowlands?
    Last edited by Draylock; 2021-01-19 at 09:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garretdejiko View Post
    The only thing keeping Frostmourne from being a transmog option is the backlash of putting a Blizz Shop price tag on it.

HUR HUR EDGY SHOP COMMENT HUR HUR

I'd like the 4 seconds it took me to click notifications and read this useless drivel back. Because Blizz totally sold Ashbringer/Doomhammer/etc in the shop, right? The fuck out of here with that nonsense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    I have read through this thread and I haven't still seen a single valid reasomn why this could not happen.

It doesn't matter if artifacts aren't shattered and Frostmourne is. Having the appearance is very different than having the weapon.

Also as long as Warglaives transmo exists, any point regarding lore implications is kinda invalid

No one shattered the warglaives into a hundred pieces, much less reforged those pieces into new weapons. Had that happened, it wouldn't make any sense that DHs got that mog either.

And the warglaives are weapons that we've been able to get since day 1 of Black Temple, further making it an invalid comparison.
    Last edited by Mirishka; 2021-01-19 at 09:24 PM.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka
    HUR HUR EDGY SHOP COMMENT HUR HUR

I'd like the 4 seconds it took me to click notifications and read this useless drivel back. Because Blizz totally sold Ashbringer/Doomhammer/etc in the shop, right? The fuck out of here with that nonsense.
    Fucking savage lmao, don't get sissy on me, blizz isn't going to give you a free month, geez.
    There, I edited the post so you don't get a notification and your autism doesn't run wild

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draylock View Post
    Arguably, it was done by the powers of Helm via Nerzhul's link to Arthas. Same as DKs have some minor Undead-rising/controlling powers via the link to Helm (or had? I mean, at this point both the blade and the helm are gone, yet nothing changes).

Unfortunately, I cannot present you with a direct quote stating that, it's more of a guess at this point. The only thing I could find that kinda-sorta-maybe fits the bill is this, from "We Ride Forth":

"The rest—*the ones who were raised into undeath without their minds intact, the ones who would simply be a Scourge upon Azeroth without the Four Horsemen’s influence—obeyed without question, whether the commands were shouted, spoken, or simply impressed into their will."

So mindless undead can be controlled with just the force of will. Then, after the Helm is shattered we get this:

"Soon, most of Acherus’s crew—and the rest of the Scourge in Northrend—would revert to mindless, frantic violence."

And then this, from the perspective of Darion Morgraine:

"If the Presence was a conduit of control and power, it felt like the conduit was crumbling. Being split apart. Mograine didn’t understand. But it felt . . . liberating. Like his mind had been bound, and the chains were slipping away, one by one. Like he hadn’t even been aware of how firmly he had been held under its control."

And from "We Ride Forth" as well - Bolvar was rising new Death Knights. Despite never having Frostmourne (or Blades) in his possesion, or having any prior knowledge of necromancy whatsoever. Not saying that Arthas did, it's just the only link between the two at this point is the Helm. That, or paladins actually have very interesting "after school" classes...

On a side note, while I was reading your post and was reminded of the hardships of the Frostmourne lore, one thought kinda amused me. So apparently, the Nathrezim stole it. And remind me, who is the dashing rogue of a villain that we encounter in the first raid in Shadowlands?
    this isnt wrong, but point is that there is no conclusive evidence that raising undead is limited only to the helm.

e.g.
    the undead in outland and draenor. our even kelthuzad messing with mice that caused him to get kicked out of dalaran in the first place. necromancy isnt really tied to the helm or frostmourne. @Glazey said [He had help from of Ner'zhul who was channeling his power through Frostmourne.] conerning the point about Arthas raising an army. Stating that Nerzhul had the helm, which allowed him the power to use frostmourne as a conduit and raise the dead. Putting the helm as the source and thus frostmourne being just a sword and thus not held by any of the lore bounds at all.

to which my point is, that there are multiple other cults and parties raising things into undeath. there is no involvement of the helm or the sword. until we have a clear source saying "nerzhul channeled his power through frostmourne to raise Arthas' army" then thats not a fact, just a guess. Which is why I asked him to provide a source.

this isnt wrong, but point is that there is no conclusive evidence that raising undead is limited only to the helm.

e.g.
    the undead in outland and draenor. our even kelthuzad messing with mice that caused him to get kicked out of dalaran in the first place. necromancy isnt really tied to the helm or frostmourne. @Glazey said [He had help from of Ner'zhul who was channeling his power through Frostmourne.] conerning the point about Arthas raising an army. Stating that Nerzhul had the helm, which allowed him the power to use frostmourne as a conduit and raise the dead. Putting the helm as the source and thus frostmourne being just a sword and thus not held by any of the lore bounds at all.

to which my point is, that there are multiple other cults and parties raising things into undeath. there is no involvement of the helm or the sword. until we have a clear source saying "nerzhul channeled his power through frostmourne to raise Arthas' army" then thats not a fact, just a guess. Which is why I asked him to provide a source.
    Yeah, there's quite a bit of examples of necromancy that don't involve either of those artifacts, and some examples that cannot be tied to Azerothian Scourge at all. It's just in the cases of Arthas and Bolvar it's kinda weird. Like i said, unlike Kel'thuzad neither one of those had any arcane knowledge, let alone necromantic. So it had to be done through a medium. The only question - which one.