Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

World revamp next xpac?

Well... title says it all I guess. Im sure this thread has been up a couple of times, but im so sick of the game atm and it's all I can think about...

What I really need is wow 2, but that won't happen... or World of Diablo... and that won't happen either. At least not in the nearest future.

Cata revamp sucked... and well... I just want a fresh new start, in the same world but updated. I mean... is it really THAT hard to do? Sure it will take some time and resources. I mean... they could make it REALLY awesome if they did it right, imagine if Eastern kingdoms and Kalimdor got the graphics of today.
    And some new quests ofc!

World revamp next xpac + dragon isles.

Edit: After reading the comments I realize that most people want blizz to focus on new continents rather than remaking old ones. And improving the gameplay I guess. I can understand that.

But yeah like I said... I guess what I really want is wow 2 ;P
    Last edited by The Saar; 2021-01-17 at 08:00 PM.

so let me ask a very simple question. if people are bored and tired of the current game, why do you think the CURRENT TEAM could make an updated version that people will love? a world revamp won't change the bad decisions made at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by aceperson View Post
    so let me ask a very simple question. if people are bored and tired of the current game, why do you think the CURRENT TEAM could make an updated version that people will love? a world revamp won't change the bad decisions made at the top.
    Well it won't change all the shitty systems they imply, no. And im not sure how many active subs they got atm that are genuinely enjoying the game. But I can promise you a world revamp would do the game good. We can always hope they rethink all the bullshit they implemented so far, and make it more simple in many ways, but still pleasing the hardcore audience!

But yeah like I said... A world revamp is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by The Saar View Post
    But I can promise you a world revamp would do the game good.
    how can you promise that? you admit yourself they fill the game with bad, pointless systems. a new world means nothing if people don't want to play in it.

using a burger as an example, you have bad chefs in the kitchen, the burger tastes awful, and you think using some higher quality ingredients will fix the bad chef part of the equation. stop fooling yourself. the world isn't stale. the sheer fact people want to keep playing in it says that. it's the asinine systems and horrible design driving people away.
    Last edited by aceperson; 2021-01-15 at 09:47 PM.

Not willing to trade the opportunity to explore new worlds around the Warcraft cosmos for Cata 2.0.

how can you promise that? you admit yourself they fill the game with bad, pointless systems. a new world means nothing if people don't want to play in it.

using a burger as an example, you have bad chefs in the kitchen, the burger tastes awful, and you think using some higher quality ingredients will fix the bad chef part of the equation. stop fooling yourself. the world isn't stale. the sheer fact people want to keep playing in it says that. it's the asinine systems and horrible design driving people away.
    Well... you got a point... But I will cross my fingers and hope the blizz team get some sense back and make it good. Thats all I can say I guess :P

well, during the kyrian questline, you go to redirdge, which is under attack by the scourge, and this dude dies.
    after that, you aint hearing shit of it, so im wondering what happend there, and in other places. and we dont know much time passes while in the shadowlands....

well just have to wait to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by deviantcultist View Post
    Not willing to trade the opportunity to explore new worlds around the Warcraft cosmos for Cata 2.0.
    Like I said... cata revamp sucked. Im talking about a totally different revamp! And I don't know... I guess we will fight the void lords at some point. But still... World revamp would be awesome.

World revamp next xpac + dragon isles. Wouldn't that be something, eh?
    What about Karesh, the homeworld of the Ethereals? We are currently dealing with cosmic threats, why should generic dragon fantasy be a more appealing direction?

- - - Updated - - -

Like I said... cata revamp sucked. Im talking about a totally different revamp! And I don't know... I guess we will fight the void lords at some point. But still... World revamp would be awesome.
    It's a good time to find the Light instead since they are showing signs of movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Versatia View Post
    well, during the kyrian questline, you go to redirdge, which is under attack by the scourge, and this dude dies.
    after that, you aint hearing shit of it, so im wondering what happend there, and in other places. and we dont know much time passes while in the shadowlands....

well just have to wait to find out.
    Yeah thats what im hoping for... Blizz said time is fucked up in shadowlands. So when we go back the whole world could look different!

Yeah thats what im hoping for... Blizz said time is fucked up in shadowlands. So when we go back the whole world could look different!
    While I share that hope, IIRC, Ion stated that this was not the proper way to interpret this - as in - do not expect a time skip.

My fantasy was, SL -> Time Skip -> 10.0

Time Skip -> Create space for Warcraft 4 RTS - but apparently RTS isn't a sound business unit anymore.

unless it was taken back without me knowing, ion clarified that time doesn't actually move different in the shadowlands. just the perception of time. so really, nothing is changing radically.

10+ Year Old Account
    Before getting into it, I just don't see the updated graphics/WoW 2 that people are asking for as a realistic possibility. Part of what works well for WoW currently is that the art style allows for simpler updates without the art looking too dated. Some things are dated for sure, but it's easier to replace a rabbit or tree model than it is to redo all the textures and the like. If they make all the buildings look like they do in Unreal or Unity, the player models will look dated, etc. Plus, that's going to cause havoc to loading times and the like for a game that already seems to struggle with certain raid particle effects as is.

But in the instance of a world revamp...you ask if it's that hard to do. To follow your recommendation, you'd only have to update the assets in every single zone in Kalimdor & Eastern Kingdoms (at least, possibly more zones as well), plus add in all new quests, rethink where towns and characters are, add in cinematics and the like where appropriate, fix up the dungeons so they follow the new flow, make sure all the battle pets are in place, ensure it all fits in properly to the current leveling core, bug test everything, and then throw on an entire set of Dragon Isles zones on top of it. This is before ensuring you've added in the proper amount of new dungeons as well as a new raid on top of it. We'll have to make sure we have class balance, and we may have to consider whether we need new races/classes as we didn't have any in Shadowlands. And it all has to be up to the quality we expect or players will complain about the content being too boring or too little.

I mean, putting Dragon Isles alongside an entire world revamp with updated resources feels like a large ask to me, especially given how little people appreciated the Cata revamp. I'd personally prefer either Dragon Isles or a world revamp, so that the Blizz team isn't stretched too thin. But to each their own, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Xjan View Post
    My fantasy was, SL -> Time Skip -> 10.0

Time Skip -> Create space for Warcraft 4 RTS - but apparently RTS isn't a sound business unit anymore.
    I've long wondered why they didn't use AU Draenor for a Warcraft 4 RTS. It would've been a perfect place to build up a new world to expand the universe without having to dig into WoW too much.
    Last edited by AngerFork; 2021-01-15 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Replying to Xjan

unless it was taken back without me knowing, ion clarified that time doesn't actually move different in the shadowlands. just the perception of time. so really, nothing is changing radically.
    Ion said time in the shadowlands moves like in a dream which can just mean that they can do whatever they want. We have characters in the shadowlands that died in wrath and felt like they've been in the shadowlands just for weeks and we have other characters that died in legion and feel like they're in the shadowlands for years.

As for a world revamp. I don't think we really need it. Updated zones or improved graphics won't keep people playing. What they need to do is fix all the new system they added. There are so many potential things to do in the game that people don't want to do because the rewards for the time invested is off. The only activity in the game that feels good is PVP because you get rewarded for your time investment.

Honestly I would think the best to do from now is to just leave Azeroth. Take the fight to both the Shadow and the Light. Each expansion could be a new world that we try to "free". It would give them the ability to make brand new lore every xpac, new characters, new races/subraces to play. They could also make each xpac have more than 4-6 zones again. I would love to have 10+ zones to level and quest thru... maybe 1 or 2 max level zones, a pvp zone, etc. You could choose to level thru any you want, maybe a starter zone for each faction and then it breaks off to different zones, each which have at least one storyline that would connect you to whatever zone you choose to go to next?! That might be what covenants are... a test to different storylines through different zones?

This. All the folks we rescued from Torghast had no idea how long they'd been in there, but all felt it was longer than the couple weeks they were.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by AngerFork View Post
    Before getting into it, I just don't see the updated graphics/WoW 2 that people are asking for as a realistic possibility. Part of what works well for WoW currently is that the art style allows for simpler updates without the art looking too dated. Some things are dated for sure, but it's easier to replace a rabbit or tree model than it is to redo all the textures and the like. If they make all the buildings look like they do in Unreal or Unity, the player models will look dated, etc. Plus, that's going to cause havoc to loading times and the like for a game that already seems to struggle with certain raid particle effects as is.

But in the instance of a world revamp...you ask if it's that hard to do. To follow your recommendation, you'd only have to update the assets in every single zone in Kalimdor & Eastern Kingdoms (at least, possibly more zones as well), plus add in all new quests, rethink where towns and characters are, add in cinematics and the like where appropriate, fix up the dungeons so they follow the new flow, make sure all the battle pets are in place, ensure it all fits in properly to the current leveling core, bug test everything, and then throw on an entire set of Dragon Isles zones on top of it. This is before ensuring you've added in the proper amount of new dungeons as well as a new raid on top of it. We'll have to make sure we have class balance, and we may have to consider whether we need new races/classes as we didn't have any in Shadowlands. And it all has to be up to the quality we expect or players will complain about the content being too boring or too little.

I mean, putting Dragon Isles alongside an entire world revamp with updated resources feels like a large ask to me, especially given how little people appreciated the Cata revamp. I'd personally prefer either Dragon Isles or a world revamp, so that the Blizz team isn't stretched too thin. But to each their own, I suppose.

I've long wondered why they didn't use AU Draenor for a Warcraft 4 RTS. It would've been a perfect place to build up a new world to expand the universe without having to dig into WoW too much.
    I see what you're saying, and you are probably right. I played since classic, and honestly I think I've just got bored with it. Man they have really milked this game for some time now. The problem for me is that I really loved wow as an mmo. But after 15 years, it has taken its toll. I REALLY hope they are working on wow 2 or world of diablo :P

Well... title says it all I guess. Im sure this thread has been up a couple of times, but im so sick of the game atm and it's all I can think about...

Okay lets be real... what we really need is wow 2, but that won't happen... or World of Diablo... and that won't happen either. At least not in the nearest future.

Cata revamp sucked... and well... I think everyone just want a fresh new start, in the same world but updated. I mean... is it really THAT hard to do? Sure it will take some time and resources. I mean... they could make it REALLY awesome if they did it right, imagine all the zones in Azeroth with updated graphics
    And some new quests ofc!

World revamp next xpac + dragon isles. Wouldn't that be something, eh?
    We've already in wow 3.0. Classic wow, up to WotLk was Wow 1.0. Wow 2.0 was Cata to WoD. Wow 3.0 is Legion which finishes with SL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

I kind of like the approach they took in BFA (a rare nod to that expansion for me) that if they just do a zone here or there when it becomes part of the current expansions narrative then it works. Old world probably wont see a ton of that this expansion if I were to GUESS. But next expansion will be "lol faction war (again)" and then it will make sense again.

Maybe you should stop thinking about the game then.