Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by TrollHunter3000 View Post
    your argument was that it's the same as having to deal with interrupts you fucking retard. If you don't have abilities to deal with getting kited you just get kited. You don't need abilities to avoid getting interrupted.
    .... the current state of the game proves you wrong. Casters tend to only get off long casts when they use abilities that prevent them from getting interrupted. Hell, the very fact that they gave casters abilities that prevent interrupts should tell you all you need to know about how obscenely easy interrupts are to land.

move?
    Works SUPER well when you're permanently 70% snared by passive attacks.

los? use CC on them????
    Caster CC... requires.... casting.

what are you like 800 in arena?
    What are you, ignorantly focused on an aspect of PvP that even people who solely PvP for their end-game activities dont even do in anything approaching high numbers? (Currently sitting at about 7%)

you have zero clue what you're talking about
    The amount of projection you "EVERYTHING IS FINE YOU'RE JUST BAD" crowd do is staggering.

people have been telling you for 6 pages now.
    No, they have been repeating mantras that they heard on the internet that dont actually work.

Use your other fucking abilities. CC them,
    Which requires the ability to freecast.

los them slow them
    Hard to LoS people when you're waddling along at 30% movement. And your slows are half as strong. At best.

stun them back
    All those hard stuns casters get!

What stops you from stunning them????
    Not having an on demand instant stun, usually. Most casters dont have one.

And how do you do that without abilities to help you?
    The fact that you dont see that youre literally making his point for him is hillarious.

How do you not get interrupted without abilities to help you?

you dont.

Quote Originally Posted by Enclave View Post
    fake both kicks only to get chainstunned until both kicks are back up again is not fun
    People dont get that. The only metric for "fun" for the DETHMATCHBAWKS!!!!!!! crowd is "i won". The fact that the process of winning was like nails on a chalkboard and un-fun doesn't even register.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkfingers View Post
    My whole point is that you're not having fun precisely because you're putting yourself in positions where you can just get sat on forever. If you (and your team) had better positional play and CC, melee wouldn't be able to just sit on you until you run out of defensives and lose.

Have you considered maybe making the game less fun for the melee you play against by forcing them into positions
    You have a bit of a chicken and egg thing going on here. Forcing the into bad positions requires you to be able to cast. Since you cant cast .... you cant force them into bad positions unless they screw up. And "screwing up" as melee is quite a bit harder. You botch one cast or set one foot out of line as a caster and you're done. Miss a counter on a melee? Its cool, you've got 2 or 3 OTHER abilities you can fall back on. And usually a single button to press to be back on the target instantly (and no way for them to preven it).

where they can't just run into the middle of fucking nowhere because they'll get blown up? All I'm saying is maybe spend less time bitching about how unfair all of this is, and more time working on your game so you can actually create some offensive pressure.
    "Use magical non-existent free-casting time to pressure the enemy melee into making mistakes to create free-casting time". Where does this initial spate of free casting time come from, exactly?

Realise that the fun you're having is directly proportional to your ability to win games.
    This is ignorant and blinkered in the extreme. I can have fun and still lose. I can get some good plays in, and even if we get stomped, look back fondly on that. Particularly in a close game where it was actually decided by skill and wasn't decided at the opening screen by the class comp of each team (Arena or BG).

I know you're not winning consistently or you wouldn't be spending so much time here telling us about how you're literally locked down all the time and can't set up burst windows. If you know you're just going to either get kicked or chain stunned, why the fuck are you trying to go for a kill?
    Since those stuns and kicks have absurdly short cooldowns, the "get kicked or chain stunned" possibility is literally always there. So.... you're saying, never go for a kill.

Weird.

Did you read through this before you posted it? Doesn't seem like it.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    So I would have to use 3 GCD's to purge 3 effects that automatically get applied every 30 seconds? (assuming my comp even had purges in the first place)

Yeh, just like every other mage those things are part of their huge toolkit in addition to alter time.

Even if poly is interrupted they can just try casting it again since there is no cooldown on it and the kick would have been used already.
    Between 8-12 seconds later, after the lockout expires. And your other team-mates also have kicks.

Seriously, we are in the PVP section of which 3v3 is the biggest and comptitive part of PVP that actually matters.
    Something that 7% of players who actively participate in PvP at endgame participate in is the "biggest" part of PvP? And given that people who PvP make up ~45-48% of the player base.. we're talking sub 4% of players. Yeah, thats fucking MASSIVE, my man. Most people do BGs. And only BGs. They gear entirely that way. Like... almost half the entire player base of the game. more than 90% of the people who do PvP only at end game.

Now, BG "balance" is never going to be a surefire thing, but that doesn't mean you just ignore un-fun and unbalanced mechanics. There will always be outliers, and there will always be situations (particularly in BGs) where preparation and setup will win a fight before it even starts. (The fact that im a squishy caster will not be relevant if get the drop on you as you ride by from a hilltop that you cant easily charge up; just like all the mobility tools in the world will not save my squishy ass if you catch me in the tunnel in WSG). But thats not an excuse to just leave blatantly busted shit in the game.

SWTOR did it right, ironically enough, YEARS ago. You had a CC bar above your head. Interrupts, stuns, disorients, etc, all contributed to this bar. Everyone can see it.

When it filled up, you were immune while it drained. Everyone could see it. Each CC, interrupt, et al, added a different amount to the bar based on how long/powerful it was.

This worked in their version of Arenas, and it worked in their version of BGs. Even if 10 dudes gangpiled you, EVENTUALLY you'd be able to act when the CC bar filled up. Was it always enough to save you? No. If you had 6+ dudes on you, likely even after your became immune to CC, you still werent going to make it (unless you were getting spam healed), but you could often do something useful on your way down (like as the Agent/Smuggler, drop into my cover stance and use my AoE knockback to clear the flag area before i died, saving the cap point for another few seconds until reinforcements arrived).

Just that one single mechanic made their PvP massively more balanced.

What exactly do you want to talk about here if it isn't 3v3? World PVP? Class balance is never and should never be based on world pvp. Maybe "most people" don't play fire mage, but nearly every other comp I queue into has a fire mage in it.
    Yes, we should base everything on your anecdotal experience. Anecdotal evidence is not evidence.

Fire Mage is extremely strong right now and pair it with a sub rogue and maybe a disc priest and you are going to have a hard time. Assuming they aren't complete dogshit you are going to have a hell of a time being able to win against that comp.
    And? What does that have to do with the other ~14 specs of caster that get sat on and beat to shit? Oh, nothing?
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2021-01-22 at 12:25 AM.

AWC vs ...? Nah, Arenas don't represent WoW PvP at all. That's why every streamer and youtuber focuses on RBGs as well. /s

Blizzard has always had a focus on Arenas in terms of WoW PvP balance. Thus balancing discussions usually revolve around them too.
    Last edited by Syh; 2021-01-22 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    Because the PvP design of WoW rests upon the core premise of world of meleecraft.

They made melee experience in PvP unpleasant, so they obviously had to go.
    Casters have been the dominant force in pvp since forever. They are STILL the power houses with fire mage and boomy so not sure where you get the misconception that melee are the dominant force lol. Rogues are good because of cc and rets are busted ww is strong butttt thats about where it stops.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    .... the current state of the game proves you wrong. Casters tend to only get off long casts when they use abilities that prevent them from getting interrupted. Hell, the very fact that they gave casters abilities that prevent interrupts should tell you all you need to know about how obscenely easy interrupts are to land.

Works SUPER well when you're permanently 70% snared by passive attacks.

Caster CC... requires.... casting.

What are you, ignorantly focused on an aspect of PvP that even people who solely PvP for their end-game activities dont even do in anything approaching high numbers? (Currently sitting at about 7%)

The amount of projection you "EVERYTHING IS FINE YOU'RE JUST BAD" crowd do is staggering.

No, they have been repeating mantras that they heard on the internet that dont actually work.

Which requires the ability to freecast.

Hard to LoS people when you're waddling along at 30% movement. And your slows are half as strong. At best.

All those hard stuns casters get!

Not having an on demand instant stun, usually. Most casters dont have one.

The fact that you dont see that youre literally making his point for him is hillarious.

How do you not get interrupted without abilities to help you?

you dont.

People dont get that. The only metric for "fun" for the DETHMATCHBAWKS!!!!!!! crowd is "i won". The fact that the process of winning was like nails on a chalkboard and un-fun doesn't even register.

You have a bit of a chicken and egg thing going on here. Forcing the into bad positions requires you to be able to cast. Since you cant cast .... you cant force them into bad positions unless they screw up. And "screwing up" as melee is quite a bit harder. You botch one cast or set one foot out of line as a caster and you're done. Miss a counter on a melee? Its cool, you've got 2 or 3 OTHER abilities you can fall back on. And usually a single button to press to be back on the target instantly (and no way for them to preven it).

"Use magical non-existent free-casting time to pressure the enemy melee into making mistakes to create free-casting time". Where does this initial spate of free casting time come from, exactly?

This is ignorant and blinkered in the extreme. I can have fun and still lose. I can get some good plays in, and even if we get stomped, look back fondly on that. Particularly in a close game where it was actually decided by skill and wasn't decided at the opening screen by the class comp of each team (Arena or BG).

Since those stuns and kicks have absurdly short cooldowns, the "get kicked or chain stunned" possibility is literally always there. So.... you're saying, never go for a kill.

Weird.

Did you read through this before you posted it? Doesn't seem like it.

Between 8-12 seconds later, after the lockout expires. And your other team-mates also have kicks.

Something that 7% of players who actively participate in PvP at endgame participate in is the "biggest" part of PvP? And given that people who PvP make up ~45-48% of the player base.. we're talking sub 4% of players. Yeah, thats fucking MASSIVE, my man. Most people do BGs. And only BGs. They gear entirely that way. Like... almost half the entire player base of the game. more than 90% of the people who do PvP only at end game.

Now, BG "balance" is never going to be a surefire thing, but that doesn't mean you just ignore un-fun and unbalanced mechanics. There will always be outliers, and there will always be situations (particularly in BGs) where preparation and setup will win a fight before it even starts. (The fact that im a squishy caster will not be relevant if get the drop on you as you ride by from a hilltop that you cant easily charge up; just like all the mobility tools in the world will not save my squishy ass if you catch me in the tunnel in WSG). But thats not an excuse to just leave blatantly busted shit in the game.

SWTOR did it right, ironically enough, YEARS ago. You had a CC bar above your head. Interrupts, stuns, disorients, etc, all contributed to this bar. Everyone can see it.

When it filled up, you were immune while it drained. Everyone could see it. Each CC, interrupt, et al, added a different amount to the bar based on how long/powerful it was.

This worked in their version of Arenas, and it worked in their version of BGs. Even if 10 dudes gangpiled you, EVENTUALLY you'd be able to act when the CC bar filled up. Was it always enough to save you? No. If you had 6+ dudes on you, likely even after your became immune to CC, you still werent going to make it (unless you were getting spam healed), but you could often do something useful on your way down (like as the Agent/Smuggler, drop into my cover stance and use my AoE knockback to clear the flag area before i died, saving the cap point for another few seconds until reinforcements arrived).

Just that one single mechanic made their PvP massively more balanced.

Yes, we should base everything on your anecdotal experience. Anecdotal evidence is not evidence.

And? What does that have to do with the other ~14 specs of caster that get sat on and beat to shit? Oh, nothing?
    You're literally just trash at the game. You have an excuse for why you just don't know how to play at every single part.

Some stuff you wrote
    You seem to think that casting all the time is the only way to create pressure. You're completely wrong on that front. Pressure is also created through positioning.

Say I'm currently in LoS vs shadowplay on Nagrand as a melee cleave. The shadow priest is hugging one pillar, the destruction lock is hugging one on the other side, and the healer is in between them on the other side of one of the pillars. To go on the healer, I'd be at range of both of the casters. To go on either of the casters, one of them is going to have range and be able to freecast. If one of the casters gets focused they don't really need to cast a bunch at all - both the healer and the other DPS are free to CC and get damage off, as well as create space for the caster being focused. There aren't any good options unless you bait the shadowplay comp into a less advantageous position.

Every class has abilities they can use to mitigate or create distance from enemy cooldowns. Let's say I go on the Lock and they pull back to behind the pillar - now the shadow priest is freecasting, and I'm out of LoS of my healer. They now have to overextend to heal me and are an easy target for CC. The warlock hasn't had to pop a single offensive cooldown and I'm now in a position where I have to either pop a defensive (which would put me behind), or peel back.

From what you're saying, it sounds like in the Warlock's position, you'd pop Dark Soul and Infernal in response to melee cooldowns, maybe unending resolve, get stunlocked through resolve and then still try to stand there casting chaos bolts which are obviously going to get interrupted, causing your healer to use externals and burn through mana to keep you alive, and leaving you wide open to being bursted down in about a minute's time once melee cooldowns are back up.

That's not you having a lack of tools to deal with the situation. It's bad positional play, and poor decision making. The one common theme I see in players who are hardstuck at a certain level in both PvP and PvE is that they spend more time making excuses for why they can't perform at a certain level than they do finding areas they can improve on. Kinda seems relevant to your response idk.

What stops you from stunning them????
    You don't realise how circular that is? If the counter to stuns is to stun them, why can't the enemy just stun you before you stun them to counter their stun?

200IQ thinking right there.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do you bring pve talk to a pvp forum, this got nothing to do with fighting AI
    Lmao. PvP players love bringing in the AI argument. Never understood why, it never helps their argument and only makes the pvp player stigma that exists seem more and more real.

- - - Updated - - -

You're literally just trash at the game. You have an excuse for why you just don't know how to play at every single part.
    And you just completely invalidated everything you've written in this thread. Unfortunate.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    Lmao. PvP players love bringing in the AI argument. Never understood why, it never helps their argument and only makes the pvp player stigma that exists seem more and more real.

- - - Updated - - -.
    its not an argument, fighting AI is just another word for PvE

10+ Year Old Account
    its not an argument, fighting AI is just another word for PvE
    It's more of a petty "insult" from people not doing primarliy PvE content trying to invalidate the difficulty that PvE presents compared to PvP, just because the content is scripted.

The amusing difference here is that me and my friend can step into Arena one day and get to 2400 without difficulties because we happen to play good specs, have good gear, etc. I'd like to see someone who consistently sits at 2400 try to get CE / HoF or be amongst the top m+ players by just randomly trying that content for the first time in a day or two without being carried. Suddenly you entered pieces of content where your class and gear alone cant carry you to high ratings / ranks etc.

But, sure. Fighting AI.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Vampyrr View Post
    Casters have been the dominant force in pvp since forever. They are STILL the power houses with fire mage and boomy so not sure where you get the misconception that melee are the dominant force lol. Rogues are good because of cc and rets are busted ww is strong butttt thats about where it stops.
    Yes, that's the falsehood melee repeatedly spread expansion after expansion when defending their specs. And yet expansion after expansion the leaderboards do not support this claim, because for every caster DPS at the top rankings there's almost two physical ones. I mean, sure, it's not as bad as it was in Cata or MoP, but that doesn't magically make the claim casters "have been the dominant force all along!!1!" not bogus. The "boomy powerhouses" are outnumbered at the top not just by your Rogues, Retri Paladins and WW where it supposedly "stops". There's more Arms Warriors, DH, Enha Shamans, Hunters and even Ferals as well.
    Last edited by Mehrunes; 2021-01-22 at 03:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Yes, that's the falsehood melee repeatedly spread expansion after expansion when defending their specs. And yet expansion after expansion the leaderboards do not support this claim, because for every caster DPS at the top rankings there's almost two physical ones. I mean, sure, it's not as bad as it was in Cata or MoP, but that doesn't magically make the claim casters "have been the dominant force all along!!1!" not bogus. The "boomy powerhouses" are outnumbered at the top not just by your Rogues, Retri Paladins and WW where it supposedly "stops". There's more Arms Warriors, DH, Enha Shamans, Hunters and even Ferals as well.
    What? Mages priests and warlocks are ALWAYS strong. Now Boomies are in it and hunters. BFA Warlocks and mages dominated the top brackets. But you also need to look at the brackets as a whole to see the bulk of matches most players face. Saying its melee dominant is just lieing at this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by intenz View Post
    Every expansion is invariably dominated by casters after the first season. Do you even do any pvp?

The reason there isn't a DR on interrupts is as a check on caster power creep. With an arena team having at best 3 interrupts to deal with 2/3 enemies casting dangerous spells almost constantly, if there was a DR then it would mean every few seconds or so the defending team would have to run for cover behind LoS. It would just be a playground for shit casters and would negate the whole meta of fake casting to bait interrupts in order to create a window. It would drop the skill floor so low.
    Do you even have the capacity to do something as simple as checking the leaderboards? Melee consistently outnumber casters at the very top even in the last season of an expansion.

And damn, a world where a DPS wouldn't need to have a window and could just go mongo train on the enemy with high hitting, uninterruptible damage abilities? Why does that sound familiar...

And to answer your concern about the tragic hypothetical case where melee can't just stick to the enemy caster all the time and have to hide every now and then, let me borrow a lol-argument melee always use when casters complain about something: just use a stun when they have a DR on interrupts.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampyrr View Post
    What? Mages priests and warlocks are ALWAYS strong. Now Boomies are in it and hunters. BFA Warlocks and mages dominated the top brackets. But you also need to look at the brackets as a whole to see the bulk of matches most players face. Saying its melee dominant is just lieing at this stage.
    If Balance is as amazing as you claim, why are they surpassed in representation at the top of the leaderboards even by the physical damage dealers you claimed were weak? And whether Mages or Warlocks are strong wasn't even the point of the contention. The point of the contention was whether casters or physical DPS are stronger as a whole. Physical DPS outnumber the casters at the top of the 3v3 leaderboards in both EU and NA. I.e. objective reality disagrees with your assertion.

Quote Originally Posted by Varolyn View Post
    Considering how easy ranged have it in raids and how a majority of boss mechanics are designed to fuck over melee, I think it balances it out.
    Are you talking about the boatload of boss mechanics that don't even target melee unless there are not enough ranged players still alive? Melee have been raiding with a massive handicap at least since WotLK. The only real problem melee have in raids is that the space around the boss is obviously going to be more limited than the space around the room, which means you can't have a raid full of melee because they first boss with "stay X yards away from everyone at all times" would fuck you over so hard your game would automatically uninstall itself. This is the "great raid injustice" that melee players convinced themselves equates to the sky falling on their heads.
    Last edited by Mehrunes; 2021-01-22 at 03:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Do you even have the capacity to do something as simple as checking the leaderboards? Melee consistently outnumber casters at the very top even in the last season of an expansion.

And damn, a world where a DPS wouldn't need to have a window and could just go mongo train on the enemy with high hitting, uninterruptible damage abilities? Why does that sound familiar...

And to answer your concern about the tragic hypothetical case where melee can't just stick to the enemy caster all the time and have to hide every now and then, let me borrow a lol-argument melee always use when casters complain about something: just use a stun when they have a DR on interrupts.

If Balance is as amazing as you claim, why are they surpassed in representation at the top of the leaderboards even by the physical damage dealers you claimed were weak? And whether Mages or Warlocks are strong wasn't even the point of the contention. The point of the contention was whether casters or physical DPS are stronger as a whole. Physical DPS outnumber the casters at the top of the 3v3 leaderboards in both EU and NA. I.e. objective reality disagrees with your assertion.

Are you talking about the boatload of boss mechanics that don't even target melee unless there are not enough ranged players still alive? Melee have been raiding with a massive handicap at least since WotLK. The only real problem melee have in raids is that the space around the boss is obviously going to be more limited than the space around the room, which means you can't have a raid full of melee because they first boss with "stay X yards away from everyone at all times" would fuck you over so hard your game would automatically uninstall itself. This is the "great raid injustice" that melee players convinced themselves equates to the sky falling on their heads.
    Have to agree to disagree on the PVP one. But the PVE by your reasoning still favors ranged. The amount of movement melee have to do compared to ranged and the significantly less space for them to spread out for certain mechanics hampers them far more. This has always been the case and why bringing a lot of melee vs a lot of ranged is a handicap for anything that doesnt need a lot of interrupts.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    You don't realise how circular that is? If the counter to stuns is to stun them, why can't the enemy just stun you before you stun them to counter their stun?

200IQ thinking right there.
    That's my point. The OP is just constantly complaining like for some reason he doesn't have any abilities to use.

That's my point. The OP is just constantly complaining like for some reason he doesn't have any abilities to use.
    You are without a doubt a retarded person, there is no other explanation

i like how you refuted what I said with reasoned arguments and logic.

Oh, no, you just made a weak-ass ad- hominem and had no counter argument of any kind.

I accept your admission of losing the argument. Only way you could make it more complete is violating Godwin's Law

CC is the bane of any PvP, especially in a tab-targeted game. If they really wanted skill to matter more than class or team comp, they'd go the darksouls route and have a dodge mechanic and little to no CC.

What makes FPSs so good for PVP is the fact that it's more up to the individual's own ability to manipulate their character better than the other players and the fact that it requires a high degree of precision.

Dark souls is pretty similar on those fronts, with a high focus on precision and being able to successfully manipulate an awkward character.

I just flat don't think wow has the platform to be a good pvp game, but if they insist on trying, they can do a few things:

1) have sweeping design goals and assumptions they make like "this is our target TTK for a player, and we expect <x> class to have <x> uptime on <y> class, so they need to be able to do <z> dps to achieve that TTK"

2) Give people the tools to properly achieve those design goals

Purged.

Just like every other mage.

That can be interrupted.

"lol" - what a compelling argument about why PvP should be balanced around an activity that less than 10% of players ever do. Oh, wait.

Instead: try formulating a logical reason why 3v3 Arena (an activity that is supremely unpopular even amongst people who only PvP at endgame) should be the only balance point.

Don't worry, we'll wait.

And.. while we're at it, remind me again when Blizzard implemented that thing where all casters immediately turn into fire mages when they step foot into PvP?

Oh.. yeah, shit, they dont.

And most people dont play fire mage.

And one spec out of dozens that is the exception that proves the rule does not an argument make. 95% of the time, "tunnel the caster" is the correct play and doing so is absurdly easy because the tools to do so are slathered everywhere across melee.

Man, youre bad at this.
    If you step away from arena and look at rated battle grounds moonkin, shadow, and affliction are doing amazing there.

We have already established fire as good.

That’s every caster except ele, which is lower but still doing decent.
    Last edited by Argorwal; 2021-01-23 at 12:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Argorwal View Post
    rated
    I dont look at rated anything.

Ever.

Any activity that less than 5% of the player base participates in doesn't deserve serious discussion about being a balance point. Just like i couldnt, for PvE, give a single solitary seed of a fuck about Mythic raids or Any Mythic+ past about 4. They have such absurdly low participation rates that wasting dev time trying to cater to the people that do them is (and always has been in the entire dev history of WoW, and is often even proven out by the devs themselves admitting it years down the line) a developmental blind alley and a waste of money akin to taking 100s out of your wallet and lighting them on fire for funsies.

At no point did the OP or anyone arguing that Interrupts as they exist are utter cancer and un-fun even bring up rated balance - Arena or BGs (well i think maybe Mehrunes might have dipped into some ladder representation, but im not sure hes actually come down on a side in the argument of "Interrupts suck" He just debunked the "casters dominate the ladders" horseshit)

It isn't about whether casters are effective. They can be. No one said otherwise.

What was said is that interrupts (as they exist) suck. There's literally no comparable mechanic for melee (not even Disarms, since Disarms often leave you with plenty of other buttons to press). Not playing your character sucks. Not being able to do anything sucks. And for a caster (with few exceptions like Disc Priests who have meaningful spells in 3 schools) since the post-LK decision to make each spec single-school reliant, an interrupt might as well be a stun except you can sitll waddle around with a 70% snare.

Take every way you have to make it so a melee cant play their character - and then add blanket silences and interrupts to that list. Thats what a caster faces as an obstacle to playing their toon and having fun.

I can be very successful on my warlock in a BG if i get babysat by a healer and loiter at the edge of the fight and enemy team ignores me like idiots. If i dont have a babysitter and/or the other team possesses a braincell, im effectively just deadweight. Ill spend the entire time im out there with melee parked in my face reducing my opportunities to "play my character" and do anything meaningful reduced to 25% of the time or less. To the point that lately ive been building towards "annoyingly hard to kill" and acting as a Distraction Warlock (look up "Distraction Carnifex" if you arent already aware of what that is) and just dragging idiots around the map so they aren't playing the objectives so im at least useful to my team.

Meanwhile, on my DK... i can pretty much have a 50/50 to kill anyone i want that isn't a healer. Even if two or three people get on me, i can still do things. Stun me? Got a cooldown for that. Root me? Got SEVERAL cooldowns for that. Try to get away? Three different cooldowns to make sure you cant. All the time im doing that? Im ALSO hitting them for high instant uninterruptable, non-lockoutable damage.

The difference in the level of stress, and the level of skill involved compared to the results is absurdly tilted in melee's favor. I can literally just tunnel vision a guy and kill him and pretty much have an answer for anything he does. I never have to stress out about it.

Playing my warlock is like trying to see out of my head six different directions while casting spells that hit like fucking noodles and praying to god i dont get a melee to park in my face and prevent me from even playing while they kill me in 4-6 globals while my DoTs tick for 1% of their HP.

Hell, i could even handle the disruption to my play if it meant that they werent ALSO doing shitloads of instant damage too. Like, if that was their schtick in that spec, lots of disruption and lockdown for lower damage... cool. But it isn't. Its massive control + lots of defensives + high instant damage. And its easier to pull of with less stress.

And the way interrupts currently works also leads to really cancerous caster play to begin with, because it is what has parked us firmly at "casters cannot be allowed to cast or they wreck your entire team". Which basically amounts to "casters cannot be allowed to play their characters" or you lose. So, the ideal counterplay is to remove someone from play - to just make them a spectator. Which is about as fun as watching paint dry. And it cant really be any other way. Casters HAVE to be able to wreck your whole team when they finally get a cast off, otherwise there'd be no reason to play one ever.

So it sets up this really stressful unfun "play" style where the entire point of the game is to make it so your opponents dont actually get to play, but if they do, you lose.

Or... they could just tone interrupts the fuck down, tone down caster damage to compensate, so that when a caster gets a few spells off its not a team-wrecking shitshow... its just like... you know, when a melee gets a few attacks in. And part and parcel of this could also be reversing the stupid "one school per spec" shit - as a Warlock, i used to be able to cast fire spells if Shadow got locked. They were never going to be as dangerous (my talents didnt support them) but it was still something you could do. And it might help. And you could set up situations where they have to either lock out your off school or continue to eat damage (I do this in Classic all the time. Load up rogue/warrior with DoTs as they close, then spam Searing Pain; they can either continue to eat Searing Pains (accelerating their death, however little), or they can stun/kick me, but then maybe give me the opportunity to Drain Life or Fear them). Forcing - gasp - tough play decisions.

Weird concept, i fuckin know.
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2021-01-23 at 03:31 AM.

i like how you refuted what I said with reasoned arguments and logic.

Oh, no, you just made a weak-ass ad- hominem and had no counter argument of any kind.

I accept your admission of losing the argument. Only way you could make it more complete is violating Godwin's Law
    Doesn't mentioning Godwin's law inherently violate it?