Page 52 of 69 FirstFirst ...
2
42
50
51
52
53
54
62
... LastLast
  1. #1021
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    66,530
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    It wasn't "dead" but there was still a lot of trepidation involved in hiring an actor with such a prominent history of drug and alcohol abuse.

    No one ever doubted that RDJ was a talented actor. They only doubted that he could stay sober long enough to kick off a Cinematic Universe.
    The only time he had issues getting insured for project completion was with his first film out of rehab, The Singing Detective. By the time we got to the films I mentioned, that was already in the past and not affecting his career prospects.

    The idea that Robert Downey Jr was having career struggles before landing Iron Man is just . . . completely, deeply incorrect. It isn't based on anything. It's definitely the role that made him a crap-ton of money over the years, but he only got the role because he'd proven himself post-recovery.

  2. #1022
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasparde View Post

    Dunno, I think money could very well be a thing that makes them hesitate in this case.
    Money is not something Disney needs to concern themselves with...especially not when it comes to Marvel movies.

    The MCU's take on the Fantastic Four, whenever they decide to release it, is a guaranteed billion+ box office. And John Krasinski and Emily Blunt are fairly well known...but Disney could pay them both more than they have ever received to be in a movie and that would still be less than what they were paying for RDJ's last few times on screen.

  3. #1023
    The Unstoppable Force PACOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ██████
    Posts
    22,903
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Money is not something Disney needs to concern themselves with...especially not when it comes to Marvel movies.

    The MCU's take on the Fantastic Four, whenever they decide to release it, is a guaranteed billion+ box office. And John Krasinski and Emily Blunt are fairly well known...but Disney could pay them both more than they have ever received to be in a movie and that would still be less than what they were paying for RDJ's last few times on screen.
    I think the only way a new 4 movie does good is if they are introduced in another movie first like Spider Man. It's a cursed movie IP at this point.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Well the issue with the movie isn't really Ultron itself (Spader performance was great). Plus once every episode of Wandavision ends with suggesting you watch AoU.
    That is true. My issue with the movie isn't the villain itself.

    Resident Cosplay Progressive

  4. #1024
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The only time he had issues getting insured for project completion was with his first film out of rehab, The Singing Detective. By the time we got to the films I mentioned, that was already in the past and not affecting his career prospects.

    The idea that Robert Downey Jr was having career struggles before landing Iron Man is just . . . completely, deeply incorrect. It isn't based on anything. It's definitely the role that made him a crap-ton of money over the years, but he only got the role because he'd proven himself post-recovery.
    No, he only got the role in singing detective because Mel Gibson personally paid to underwrite his insurance...before that, he was uninsurable.

    https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/...jr-as-iron-man

    Though Iron Man made it seem as if Tony Stark was the role Downey was born to play, Marvel actively rooted against casting him. Years of bad publicity and multiple arrests related to drug and alcohol abuse and excessive partying made the Oscar-nominated actor a risk for the studio. (Downey lost roles in Wild Things and Woody Allen's Melinda and Melinda due to insurance issues, and was fired from Ally McBeal following a 2001 arrest.) But Jon Favreau, who directed Iron Man and Iron Man 2, knew that Downey was the right actor for the job.
    https://www.thethings.com/heres-why-...-play-ironman/
    Marvel was extremely against Downey due to his troubled past with substance abuse and a series of arrests. As his career continued to grow with roles in Natural Born Killers (1994) and Restoration (1995), those roles that gave him public fame and success were overshadowed by his private struggles. Years of bad publicity began to follow the great actor and as his reputation began to worsen, so too did the prospects of landing other big roles.
    He would have stayed an Indy film darling... but he would never have been a Big Box Office Star without Iron Man. And Marvel took a lot of convincing to give him that shot.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I think the only way a new 4 movie does good is if they are introduced in another movie first like Spider Man. It's a cursed movie IP at this point.
    I disagree. People have been aching to see the FF done right. The MCU can do that.

    Though i do imagine they'll be introduced in another movie first. That's been the strategy since Black Widow popped up in Iron Man 2.

  5. #1025
    The Unstoppable Force PACOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ██████
    Posts
    22,903
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post

    I disagree. People have been aching to see the FF done right. The MCU can do that.

    Though i do imagine they'll be introduced in another movie first. That's been the strategy since Black Widow popped up in Iron Man 2.
    If Capt and Killmonger aren't in a MCU FF movie I'm going to said at the missed opportunity for memes.

    Resident Cosplay Progressive

  6. #1026
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    If Capt and Killmonger aren't in a MCU FF movie I'm going to said at the missed opportunity for memes.
    Honestly I could see them doing some kind of crossover in one of the shorts (Something in the length of all hail the king) . But not a main movie. 10 minute joke thing with Cap, killmonger and 3 Johnny storms of the multuverse messing about.

  7. #1027
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    66,530
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    No, he only got the role in singing detective because Mel Gibson personally paid to underwrite his insurance...before that, he was uninsurable.

    https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/...jr-as-iron-man
    Like . . . that's literally what I was referring to.

    https://www.thethings.com/heres-why-...-play-ironman/

    He would have stayed an Indy film darling... but he would never have been a Big Box Office Star without Iron Man. And Marvel took a lot of convincing to give him that shot.
    Tropic Thunder was not an "indie film darling". Nor was Zodiac.

  8. #1028
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Like . . . that's literally what I was referring to.
    What you said was he only had troubles with the singing detective. But he'd been having issues before that...that was just when Gibson stepped in and said he'd cover it.


    Tropic Thunder was not an "indie film darling". Nor was Zodiac.
    Tropic Thunder came out after Iron Man.

    Zodiac's box office was $85 million on a $65 million budget. Not exactly a block buster.

  9. #1029
    Scarab Lord
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,667
    so the Sword Director is a lying sack of shit... but the one thing I can't figure out (I may have missed it) was who left the deed to the plot of land in Wanda's car. I am assuming it wasn't there when she left it? Maybe someone who wanted her to be at that exact spot?

  10. #1030
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    66,530
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Tropic Thunder came out after Iron Man.
    They were both filmed in 2007. RDJ didn't get cast in Tropic Thunder because of Iron Man's success. That's the point.

    The guy's career was already just fine by the time Iron Man came along.

    Zodiac's box office was $85 million on a $65 million budget. Not exactly a block buster.
    Really not sure why you're focusing exclusively on blockbusters, when the question was about the state of RDJ's career.

  11. #1031
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    so the Sword Director is a lying sack of shit... but the one thing I can't figure out (I may have missed it) was who left the deed to the plot of land in Wanda's car. I am assuming it wasn't there when she left it? Maybe someone who wanted her to be at that exact spot?
    Vision likely bought the plot before their trip to Scotland (where Thanos henchmen attacked Wanda and Vision and we first see Steve as Nomad) and due to everything with the snap there was no reason to build on the plot of land during the 5 years so the deed just remained /fan hypothesis

  12. #1032
    That deed was rather convenient and adorable.
    I'm a thread killer.

  13. #1033
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    They were both filmed in 2007. RDJ didn't get cast in Tropic Thunder because of Iron Man's success. That's the point.

    The guy's career was already just fine by the time Iron Man came along.
    Except one of the reasons Tropic Thunder did so well was because the whole world was in love with RDJ again after Iron Man.

    Really not sure why you're focusing exclusively on blockbusters, when the question was about the state of RDJ's career.
    Because, before Iron Man, no one was willing to trust him with anything big.

    Even in Tropic Thunder...he was a supporting character... not the star.

  14. #1034
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The only time he had issues getting insured for project completion was with his first film out of rehab, The Singing Detective. By the time we got to the films I mentioned, that was already in the past and not affecting his career prospects.

    The idea that Robert Downey Jr was having career struggles before landing Iron Man is just . . . completely, deeply incorrect. It isn't based on anything. It's definitely the role that made him a crap-ton of money over the years, but he only got the role because he'd proven himself post-recovery.
    Eh, it did kinda affect him. Jon Favreau has said that he had to fight with Marvel Studios to even cast RDJ as Iron Man because of his past, and that he was rejected multiple times.
    Fairy tales are more than true – not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten. -G. K. Chesterton & Neil Gaiman

  15. #1035
    Scarab Lord
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,667
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Vision likely bought the plot before their trip to Scotland (where Thanos henchmen attacked Wanda and Vision and we first see Steve as Nomad) and due to everything with the snap there was no reason to build on the plot of land during the 5 years so the deed just remained /fan hypothesis
    oh yeah Vision bought the land; but the question is who left the deed to the land in Wanda's car. Pretty sure it wasn't there when she arrived at Sword. Could someone have led her to that plot of land knowing she would do what she did?

  16. #1036
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    oh yeah Vision bought the land; but the question is who left the deed to the land in Wanda's car.
    Wanda? Why assume she didn't intend to just recover his body and bury it near where she wanted to start her new life, or on the plot that they'd purchased together?

  17. #1037
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    oh yeah Vision bought the land; but the question is who left the deed to the land in Wanda's car. Pretty sure it wasn't there when she arrived at Sword. Could someone have led her to that plot of land knowing she would do what she did?
    First watch, I thought that was the case, but on rewatch, she had it in the car already and knew it. I'm pretty sure she was going to bury him there.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Wanda? Why assume she didn't intend to just recover his body and bury it near where she wanted to start her new life, or on the plot that they'd purchased together?
    While I fully believe it was Vision, when did he ever get the chance to buy it? They had only really talked about the settling down briefly in IW and then bam.

  18. #1038
    Quote Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
    First watch, I thought that was the case, but on rewatch, she had it in the car already and knew it. I'm pretty sure she was going to bury him there.

    - - - Updated - - -



    While I fully believe it was Vision, when did he ever get the chance to buy it? They had only really talked about the settling down briefly in IW and then bam.
    I mean, maybe he already bought it before that conversation. They got interrupted so he couldn’t surprise her with it.

  19. #1039
    Didn't vision have full access to the Internet, plus all of Stark's knowledge. For someone like Vision something like buying land I don't think is a difficult task.

  20. #1040
    Quote Originally Posted by ohwell View Post

    While I fully believe it was Vision, when did he ever get the chance to buy it? They had only really talked about the settling down briefly in IW and then bam.
    Steve had time to grow a beard, I'm sure Vision could have found a few moments to buy an unused plot of land.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •