Page 5 of 54 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesethi View Post
    The theme and the forced out of nowhere romance between those two characters never interested me to begin with, which started in Ultron/Civil War. At least it was less bad than the time they tried to force a Hulk x Blackwidow romance. The series doesn't appeal to me in any sense, but whoever is enjoying it, kudos to you.
    As a comic fan thats an interesting take for me to see someone use. Wanda and Vision have had a long standing comic relationship. It was decently done for the movies and wasn't an "out of no where" romance. I was expecting it and wondering how they would do it.

The Banner and Romanoff to me was indeed the odd romance but I also thought it worked given one particular line where she says, "He's not so bad. He has a temper... deep down he's all fluff. Fact is, he's not like anybody I've ever known. All my friends are fighters. And here comes this guy, spends his life avoiding the fight because he knows he'll win."

That mindset made it work for me in the end.
    Refer code: http://www.swtor.com/r/t4QfLH
    What you get: 7 free days of play plus a bundle of goodies: http://www.swtor.com/info/friends

Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    I don't know shit about the comics but I didn't even catch reference to any SWORD organization. There's someone trying to contact her or even different people, one through radio, other through... the sewers or whatever, she's being monitored or something, no idea who wants to help or harm.

It's all mystery, and it's fine.
    The SWORD references aren't overt. They're using SWORD symbols, and SWORD hasn't been referenced in the MCU before at any point, other than maybe in a tiny background easter egg (and I only say that much to cover my butt against some blurry screen image in a background somewhere proving me wrong).

At the least, it's on the screens when the framing pulls back and reveals the show's taking place on a monitor in some kind of lab setting, it's on the helicopter that's weirdly red-and-yellow in a black-and-white world, and it's on the back of the beekeeper's uniform. We saw the logo pop up no less than 4 times over 2 episodes, on points of focus in moments that are meant to be dramatic reveals; that's no longer an easter egg, that's a statement that SWORD is deliberately relevant to what's going on. It's just quiet enough that you'd need to be a comics fan to have noticed yourself while watching, though you might have noticed the repeated symbol without understanding what agency's logo it was.

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    Agreed.

It all came across as boring and you'll only see and know about the small things if you were a comic fan. The general watchers will have no clue of SWORD and will in general make little to no connection to SHIELD or any other the other agencies from comics.

So while I too found it boring and I get it's supposed to be a build up to something more, I am at least intrigued at the possibilities as I would love to see MOJO and the introduction of the X-men as he had it in for those characters and he was big in to TV but damn I don't think it got off on the right foot for a lot of viewers no matter if it's MOJO or Mr. Sinister or whoever they put in at the big bad.
    You as a viewer don't need to know anything about SWORD to know there's another plot going on the background. And if you don't know how that things aren't what they appear to be then you aren't familiar with the MCU, then this show is a terrible place to begin. The viewer couldn't have picked a worse entry point and the storytellers shouldn't have to hand hold those people.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    You as a viewer don't need to know anything about SWORD to know there's another plot going on the background. And if you don't know how that things aren't what they appear to be then you aren't familiar with the MCU, then this show is a terrible place to begin. The viewer couldn't have picked a worse entry point and the storytellers shouldn't have to hand hold those people.
    If nothing else, you should've noticed the symbol on the helicopter, and the same symbol on the beekeeper, and there's no way you missed either because they were the absolute focus of their scenes.

You don't need to know what the symbol means, yet. But there's connections being drawn which should suggest there's something more going on here.

Hmf...this stinks like SHIELD. And if this based on a comic story then it's not one I cared for.

might check it out once all episodes are out and if it gets good feedback. Burnt out on the superhero spam so it needs to be a 10/10 to get my interest now. Especially since the what if universe is gonna make consequences completely null and void something i've always had a problem with marvel wanting to have its cake and eat it too. Latest back is Xbones. But with multiverses and what if stuff coming out everyone will think its the greatest thing out and wont see a problem with having no tension or lasting consequences and invalidating previous films.
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

Found it to be pretty boring. *shrug*

Might check it out again when all the episodes are available.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The SWORD references aren't overt. They're using SWORD symbols, and SWORD hasn't been referenced in the MCU before at any point, other than maybe in a tiny background easter egg (and I only say that much to cover my butt against some blurry screen image in a background somewhere proving me wrong).
    This show is the first time SWORD has shown up in any capacity in the MCU (unless you count the end credits scene in Far From Home, which still isn't confirmed to be SWORD).

Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    This show is the first time SWORD has shown up in any capacity in the MCU (unless you count the end credits scene in Far From Home, which still isn't confirmed to be SWORD).
    I was pretty sure that's the case, since I'm pretty into the subtle connections and a lot of the minutiae, I just didn't want to get caught out by someone saying "if you zoom in on this fuzzy monitor visible for 2 frames in the after-credits scene of this one movie, there's a symbol that kinda looks like SWORD's logo if you squint and turn your head sideways!"

Is this it? My lord is this boring as hell, I really hope it picks up soon I thought this was supposed to Segway into the Dr Strange movie.

Guess I will just wait for it to end and see what people are saying then before I try to watch anymore...

- - - Updated - - -

I could have sworn I remember watching some easter egg video over one of the MCU movies that had a thing about SWORD in it before. Am I mistaken?

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Of course you don't need to know what all things are but that doesn't take away from the general boring watch the show was.

I found a few things that intrigued me but I'd wager the average viewer found it worse off than I did.

You could see the symbol, hear the voices, watch the bee keeper come out of the man-hole. See all the other odd things (and I say that as the whole show was just odd) and still find the first two episodes rather boring to watch. Thats why I use intrigued but I get the feeling others just simply didn't like it.

I think it was a poor jumping off point for the show. Short episodes that should have probably been just one and given how the show has started, I'm also starting to think releasing them on a weekly schedule might be a terrible idea here. If things indeed get better, they need to get their fast as there are a number of things to watch these days and it's rather easy to simply forget this show existed.

It's like they say, you get one shot at first impressions and this wasn't all that good of one. Of course YMMV...
    Last edited by quras; 2021-01-20 at 04:23 PM.
    Refer code: http://www.swtor.com/r/t4QfLH
    What you get: 7 free days of play plus a bundle of goodies: http://www.swtor.com/info/friends

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    I could have sworn I remember watching some easter egg video over one of the MCU movies that had a thing about SWORD in it before. Am I mistaken?
    Agents of SHIELD has a "SPEAR" joke in the first episode of season 5, but other than that I haven't heard of anything.

I actually didn't notice any of the sword symbols in the show. I was just into the retro vibe of it all. I grew up loving Bewitched, I love Lucy, Dick VanDyke, Rhoda, Mary Tyler Moore...etc And Kitty Forman!!
    Last edited by blankfaced; 2021-01-20 at 06:18 PM.
    I'm a thread killer.

Stood in the Fire
    In the comic, Wanda became unhinged due to Visions death. Even the pregnancy was like in the comics, done through magic. I guess Wanda, at the moment, don't know she can manipulate reality.
    While all are somewhat excited to see SWORD coming, I was more interested in the beekeeper guy. In the comics, AIM uniforms looked like beekeepers. They were even ridiculed because of it.

In the comics SWORD is tasked with surveilling and responding to extraterrestrial threats. The Infinity Stones sure count as such threats.

Wanda is linked to the Infinity Stones, her powers derived from the same stone that helped Vision to take form. So, using these power could maybe used to ressurrect Vision, but since the cost is too great, it but her into a coma or something. To keep her stable, she is put in this simulation we see. Now comes AIM into play. Trying to steal some tech or so, they messed with the simulation and subconsciencesly, Wanda draws people around her into the simulation. To save everyone, they need her to wake up, so that's why they are trying to contact her.

Agents of SHIELD has a "SPEAR" joke in the first episode of season 5, but other than that I haven't heard of anything.
    I want to say it was from one of the main movies, but to be honest I'm probably just making this up at this point and misremembering..

Quote Originally Posted by Naramag View Post
    In the comic, Wanda became unhinged due to Visions death. Even the pregnancy was like in the comics, done through magic. I guess Wanda, at the moment, don't know she can manipulate reality.
    While all are somewhat excited to see SWORD coming, I was more interested in the beekeeper guy. In the comics, AIM uniforms looked like beekeepers. They were even ridiculed because of it.
    My only real issue with the idea of an AIM connection is that they're also developing a MODOK cartoon (voiced by Patton Oswalt), and MODOK's the head of AIM. It seems odd that they'd introduce them here, first. Not impossible, though.

AIM suits also look more like hazmat suits than beekeeper suits, generally. And sure do in that cartoon, before we get into various comic iterations.

In the comics SWORD is tasked with surveilling and responding to extraterrestrial threats. The Infinity Stones sure count as such threats.
    I'm expecting a unique iteration for the MCU, beyond a connection to SHIELD. SHIELD's already been working on extraterrestrial concerns. Even ignoring the films and just looking at the TV show (we shouldn't), Agents of SHIELD had entire arcs focused on the Kree and extraterrestrial threats. Indeed, if we count the Inhumans due to their Kree origin, it's the central focus of the whole show.

They may decide to get a little more metaphorical with the separation, with SHIELD focusing on reacting to threats that emerge, with SWORD taking a more . . . proactive approach. Though that's not based on anything, it's pure speculation. I think there's a reason we've been given just pure logos, though, without even a trace of the SWORD acronym or the words that compose it. I suspect whatever they're using for that will be fairly telling.

Boring as fuck so far imo.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Shield defence , sword attack

Probably two sides of the same coin with the same goals.

Hmm...on a more curious note, I believe SWORD wss created in the comics by Joss Whedon. And he has shown a propensity of taking the time to develop a storyline through several episodes to hit the viewer with a pretty good punch. That's assuming he's involved in any way. (Or perhaps his bro)

Hate the slow burn all you want, but episode 3 was fantastic. It’s hard to guess what could really be going on (so many possibilities), and I am for one glad it hasn’t been revealed yet.
    "Auto-correct is my worst enema."