Page 5 of 61 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Found it to be pretty boring. *shrug*

Might check it out again when all the episodes are available.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The SWORD references aren't overt. They're using SWORD symbols, and SWORD hasn't been referenced in the MCU before at any point, other than maybe in a tiny background easter egg (and I only say that much to cover my butt against some blurry screen image in a background somewhere proving me wrong).
    This show is the first time SWORD has shown up in any capacity in the MCU (unless you count the end credits scene in Far From Home, which still isn't confirmed to be SWORD).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    This show is the first time SWORD has shown up in any capacity in the MCU (unless you count the end credits scene in Far From Home, which still isn't confirmed to be SWORD).
    I was pretty sure that's the case, since I'm pretty into the subtle connections and a lot of the minutiae, I just didn't want to get caught out by someone saying "if you zoom in on this fuzzy monitor visible for 2 frames in the after-credits scene of this one movie, there's a symbol that kinda looks like SWORD's logo if you squint and turn your head sideways!"

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    You as a viewer don't need to know anything about SWORD to know there's another plot going on the background. And if you don't know how that things aren't what they appear to be then you aren't familiar with the MCU, then this show is a terrible place to begin. The viewer couldn't have picked a worse entry point and the storytellers shouldn't have to hand hold those people.
    Of course you don't need to know what all things are but that doesn't take away from the general boring watch the show was.

I found a few things that intrigued me but I'd wager the average viewer found it worse off than I did.

You could see the symbol, hear the voices, watch the bee keeper come out of the man-hole. See all the other odd things (and I say that as the whole show was just odd) and still find the first two episodes rather boring to watch. Thats why I use intrigued but I get the feeling others just simply didn't like it.

I think it was a poor jumping off point for the show. Short episodes that should have probably been just one and given how the show has started, I'm also starting to think releasing them on a weekly schedule might be a terrible idea here. If things indeed get better, they need to get their fast as there are a number of things to watch these days and it's rather easy to simply forget this show existed.

It's like they say, you get one shot at first impressions and this wasn't all that good of one. Of course YMMV...
    Last edited by quras; 2021-01-20 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    I could have sworn I remember watching some easter egg video over one of the MCU movies that had a thing about SWORD in it before. Am I mistaken?
    Agents of SHIELD has a "SPEAR" joke in the first episode of season 5, but other than that I haven't heard of anything.

I actually didn't notice any of the sword symbols in the show. I was just into the retro vibe of it all. I grew up loving Bewitched, I love Lucy, Dick VanDyke, Rhoda, Mary Tyler Moore...etc And Kitty Forman!!
    Last edited by blankfaced; 2021-01-20 at 06:18 PM.
    I'm a thread killer.

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    In the comic, Wanda became unhinged due to Visions death. Even the pregnancy was like in the comics, done through magic. I guess Wanda, at the moment, don't know she can manipulate reality.
    While all are somewhat excited to see SWORD coming, I was more interested in the beekeeper guy. In the comics, AIM uniforms looked like beekeepers. They were even ridiculed because of it.

In the comics SWORD is tasked with surveilling and responding to extraterrestrial threats. The Infinity Stones sure count as such threats.

Wanda is linked to the Infinity Stones, her powers derived from the same stone that helped Vision to take form. So, using these power could maybe used to ressurrect Vision, but since the cost is too great, it but her into a coma or something. To keep her stable, she is put in this simulation we see. Now comes AIM into play. Trying to steal some tech or so, they messed with the simulation and subconsciencesly, Wanda draws people around her into the simulation. To save everyone, they need her to wake up, so that's why they are trying to contact her.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Naramag View Post
    In the comic, Wanda became unhinged due to Visions death. Even the pregnancy was like in the comics, done through magic. I guess Wanda, at the moment, don't know she can manipulate reality.
    While all are somewhat excited to see SWORD coming, I was more interested in the beekeeper guy. In the comics, AIM uniforms looked like beekeepers. They were even ridiculed because of it.
    My only real issue with the idea of an AIM connection is that they're also developing a MODOK cartoon (voiced by Patton Oswalt), and MODOK's the head of AIM. It seems odd that they'd introduce them here, first. Not impossible, though.

AIM suits also look more like hazmat suits than beekeeper suits, generally. And sure do in that cartoon, before we get into various comic iterations.

In the comics SWORD is tasked with surveilling and responding to extraterrestrial threats. The Infinity Stones sure count as such threats.
    I'm expecting a unique iteration for the MCU, beyond a connection to SHIELD. SHIELD's already been working on extraterrestrial concerns. Even ignoring the films and just looking at the TV show (we shouldn't), Agents of SHIELD had entire arcs focused on the Kree and extraterrestrial threats. Indeed, if we count the Inhumans due to their Kree origin, it's the central focus of the whole show.

They may decide to get a little more metaphorical with the separation, with SHIELD focusing on reacting to threats that emerge, with SWORD taking a more . . . proactive approach. Though that's not based on anything, it's pure speculation. I think there's a reason we've been given just pure logos, though, without even a trace of the SWORD acronym or the words that compose it. I suspect whatever they're using for that will be fairly telling.

Boring as fuck so far imo.
    Do you hear the voices too?

10+ Year Old Account
    Shield defence , sword attack

Probably two sides of the same coin with the same goals.

Hmm...on a more curious note, I believe SWORD wss created in the comics by Joss Whedon. And he has shown a propensity of taking the time to develop a storyline through several episodes to hit the viewer with a pretty good punch. That's assuming he's involved in any way. (Or perhaps his bro)

Hate the slow burn all you want, but episode 3 was fantastic. It’s hard to guess what could really be going on (so many possibilities), and I am for one glad it hasn’t been revealed yet.
    "Auto-correct is my worst enema."

Whelp. This Episode left on a HUGE cliffhanger holy shit

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone else think that Ralph is Mephisto and that Agnes is Agatha Harness also the clocks and TV dials and such all are missing the number "6". -Every- -Single- -Time-
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

5+ Year Old Account
    First 20 minutes had me bored to death..then it got better.

Well, that certainly escalated quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Also, was there ever a proper explanation for Wanda's deeply American accent, btw? You wouldn't have an accent like that even after a decade of living in the US from another country at her age lol
    I figure it's simply part of the illusion of being a 50s/60s/70s American housewife. You gotta sound the part. You'll notice that her original accent slips through whenever the simulation cracks.

Also, did anyone notice Vision's "mister doctor" quip? It's what Mads Mikkelsen's character called Doctor Strange the first time they met. There's no way that was added by accident.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Also, was there ever a proper explanation for Wanda's deeply American accent, btw? You wouldn't have an accent like that even after a decade of living in the US from another country at her age lol
    I don't know if there was ever an official in-universe explanation, but there was at least speculation that she'd been working with Natasha. Part of learning the ropes that they showed at the beginning of Civil War.

Lol you guys are cute.

She ditched her accent because producers told her to.

Compare civil war to end game. Her voice is completely different and no one even says why.

No your head canon of "shes in hiding in scottland" isnt an official answer. You need to actually put this stuff in the movie just not let people come up with the answer.

Elizabeth Olsen explained the accent change

https://www.google.com/amp/s/moviewe...t-wandavision/

I don’t need it spoon-fed to me why a character being trained in espionage would lose most/all of their accent, just like I don’t need it spoon-fed to me that characters eat, drink, pee, and poop.

Except, well, they’ve explicitly gone out of their way to state Vision doesn’t.

My sisters accent naturally changes whenever she moves states. For a while her Southern/Boston accent mix was hilarious.
    "Auto-correct is my worst enema."