Page 44 of 61 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Like . . . that's literally what I was referring to.
    What you said was he only had troubles with the singing detective. But he'd been having issues before that...that was just when Gibson stepped in and said he'd cover it.

Tropic Thunder was not an "indie film darling". Nor was Zodiac.
    Tropic Thunder came out after Iron Man.

Zodiac's box office was $85 million on a $65 million budget. Not exactly a block buster.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    so the Sword Director is a lying sack of shit... but the one thing I can't figure out (I may have missed it) was who left the deed to the plot of land in Wanda's car. I am assuming it wasn't there when she left it? Maybe someone who wanted her to be at that exact spot?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Tropic Thunder came out after Iron Man.
    They were both filmed in 2007. RDJ didn't get cast in Tropic Thunder because of Iron Man's success. That's the point.

The guy's career was already just fine by the time Iron Man came along.

Zodiac's box office was $85 million on a $65 million budget. Not exactly a block buster.
    Really not sure why you're focusing exclusively on blockbusters, when the question was about the state of RDJ's career.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    so the Sword Director is a lying sack of shit... but the one thing I can't figure out (I may have missed it) was who left the deed to the plot of land in Wanda's car. I am assuming it wasn't there when she left it? Maybe someone who wanted her to be at that exact spot?
    Vision likely bought the plot before their trip to Scotland (where Thanos henchmen attacked Wanda and Vision and we first see Steve as Nomad) and due to everything with the snap there was no reason to build on the plot of land during the 5 years so the deed just remained /fan hypothesis

That deed was rather convenient and adorable.
    I'm a thread killer.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    They were both filmed in 2007. RDJ didn't get cast in Tropic Thunder because of Iron Man's success. That's the point.

The guy's career was already just fine by the time Iron Man came along.
    Except one of the reasons Tropic Thunder did so well was because the whole world was in love with RDJ again after Iron Man.

Really not sure why you're focusing exclusively on blockbusters, when the question was about the state of RDJ's career.
    Because, before Iron Man, no one was willing to trust him with anything big.

Even in Tropic Thunder...he was a supporting character... not the star.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Vision likely bought the plot before their trip to Scotland (where Thanos henchmen attacked Wanda and Vision and we first see Steve as Nomad) and due to everything with the snap there was no reason to build on the plot of land during the 5 years so the deed just remained /fan hypothesis
    oh yeah Vision bought the land; but the question is who left the deed to the land in Wanda's car. Pretty sure it wasn't there when she arrived at Sword. Could someone have led her to that plot of land knowing she would do what she did?

oh yeah Vision bought the land; but the question is who left the deed to the land in Wanda's car.
    Wanda? Why assume she didn't intend to just recover his body and bury it near where she wanted to start her new life, or on the plot that they'd purchased together?

oh yeah Vision bought the land; but the question is who left the deed to the land in Wanda's car. Pretty sure it wasn't there when she arrived at Sword. Could someone have led her to that plot of land knowing she would do what she did?
    First watch, I thought that was the case, but on rewatch, she had it in the car already and knew it. I'm pretty sure she was going to bury him there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Wanda? Why assume she didn't intend to just recover his body and bury it near where she wanted to start her new life, or on the plot that they'd purchased together?
    While I fully believe it was Vision, when did he ever get the chance to buy it? They had only really talked about the settling down briefly in IW and then bam.

Didn't vision have full access to the Internet, plus all of Stark's knowledge. For someone like Vision something like buying land I don't think is a difficult task.

Quote Originally Posted by ohwell View Post

While I fully believe it was Vision, when did he ever get the chance to buy it? They had only really talked about the settling down briefly in IW and then bam.
    Steve had time to grow a beard, I'm sure Vision could have found a few moments to buy an unused plot of land.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
    Same time he had an official will made and notarized
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Steve had time to grow a beard, I'm sure Vision could have found a few moments to buy an unused plot of land.
    Steve's a Super Soldier

You don't know how long it would take him to grow a beard. Could be he just wakes up like that every morning and he just hadn't gotten around to shaving yet :P.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    He would have stayed an Indy film darling... but he would never have been a Big Box Office Star without Iron Man. And Marvel took a lot of convincing to give him that shot.
    This is the kind of take that suggests Mark Ruffalo and Brie Larson weren't successful actors before they became Hulk and Captain Marvel. They most certainly were - as was RDJ. They were all three movie stars.

Outside of the Chris's, I don't think any of the main Avengers cast had their best movies in the MCU. And all of them had their best movies before their roles in the MCU. Hell, Don Cheadle was in a music video that I think had more importance than anything he's done in the MCU, and Hotel Rwanda is a legitimately great movie, but he's probably made more money being Rhodey than anything else in his career.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Didn't vision have full access to the Internet, plus all of Stark's knowledge. For someone like Vision something like buying land I don't think is a difficult task.
    Yet he buys a run down plot in bumfuck New Jersey? Did he not check property values and the condition of the neighborhood? Who buys land sight unseen? Clearly this was planted by the devil (Mephisto) /s

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    This is the kind of take that suggests Mark Ruffalo and Brie Larson weren't successful actors before they became Hulk and Captain Marvel. They most certainly were - as was RDJ. They were all three movie stars.
    I just chalk all this up to typical mmo-c pedantic bickering. What does RDJ’s acting career have to do with WandaVision?

Quote Originally Posted by SavoirFaire View Post
    Yet he buys a run down plot in bumfuck New Jersey? Did he not check property values and the condition of the neighborhood? Who buys land sight unseen? Clearly this was planted by the devil (Mephisto) /s

- - - Updated - - -

I just chalk all this up to typical mmo-c pedantic bickering. What does RDJ’s acting career have to do with WandaVision?
    People are talking about RDJ's cost for future work in comparison to some fan theories about possible Fantastic 4 casting of John Krasinski and Emily Blunt, his wife, as if it would be prohibitive (and actors like Ruffalo/Larson/RDJ) weren't earning similar numbers before the MCU themselves.

I also thought Westview was a weird pick. Surely Vision could get some cash from Stark industries for a nice upscale place on the Upper East Side, right?

15+ Year Old Account
    I also thought Westview was a weird pick. Surely Vision could get some cash from Stark industries for a nice upscale place on the Upper East Side, right?
    It is similar to the location they lived in the comics and it is clearly that they are going for a "sitcom town" type of feel rather then simply a great place to live. The sitcom thing means a lot to Wanda and as we saw what led her and Vision to first bond.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Larson and Ruffalo didn't have substance abuse problems that made them getting cast in marvel films problematic though.

Marvel didn't want to hire RDJ initially because they thought he was too risky to pin a franchise on. That was the state of his career when he signed on to Iron Man. Ruffalo and Larson were up and comers. RDJ was a cautionary tale.
    Last edited by Evil Midnight Bomber; 2021-02-28 at 08:33 PM.

We also don't know what the town looked like before the snap. Remember that this is Westview after more than 5 years of half of everyone missing and only just coming back like a week ago.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    We also don't know what the town looked like before the snap. Remember that this is Westview after more than 5 years of half of everyone missing and only just coming back like a week ago.
    That's an interesting point. I'm impressed by how much nuance they've given to that 5 years. The reveal of aliens came and went after Avengers, no big change to the world, and I expected the same for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.