Poll: Will Trump Pardon himself?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Ok so who’s getting a Pardon?

Ok so who’s getting a Pardon?

Probably mostly unknowns and the Trump Family

Who should get a pardon?

Nobody

Who shouldn’t get a pardon?

Assange

Snowden

Trump

Trumps Lawyers

Anyone in the Trumps Administration

Trump

Will Trump Pardon himself?

Yes.

I don’t think there is a snowballs chance in hell if Tiger King getting a pardon.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2021-01-19 at 06:29 AM.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    The whole fuckin swamp is getting pardoned.

Nobody should get pardoned by Trump.

Trump isn't smart enough not to pardon himself.
    /s

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    My vote is that he'll be too busy planning his victory going-away party that he'll forget to sign any more Pardons.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are reports coming in that Trump is considering, or issuing, "secret pardons" which of course would also be pre-emptive and blanket since the crimes haven't been charged yet.

While the idea of a pre-emptive, secret, blanket pardon is probably as corrupt as you can get, if this is found to be true, then sadly this thread becomes irrelevant until the list is also disclosed.

Can I get a pardon?

Anyone who hasn't been charged with anything yet will not be on the pardon list. They will be secret pardoned. This is trump's big last con, don't fall for it.

Assange, no. He's probably gonna get away with it anyways, apparently if you are too depressed in the UK, they wont extradite you for crimes the judge believes you committed.
    Snowden? ha ha no.

It'll be a bunch of rich white guys, and like 1 or 2 rich black rappers.
    Last edited by beanman12345; 2021-01-19 at 08:36 AM.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Lots of rich folk or those deemed heros to conservatives. With the odd actually decent pardon for someone wrongfully sentenced.
    But ya I like the cnn report on who bush pardoned, and how he refused to pardon those who went outside the proper channels(allegedly anyway)

10+ Year Old Account
    Trump has about 25 more hours (give or take) to decide who to pardon.

Won't surprise me if his parting shot is to try to pardon some of the insurrectionists.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    The big question is gonna be if a self-pardon is even Constitutionally viable. When challenged, I imagine SCOTUS will toss that possibility out, as the alternative is stating that the President is forevermore immune to all prosecution for any federal crimes during or leading up to their Presidency, as they can summarily pardon themselves for any such thing. I can't see SCOTUS giving that kind of power to the President. He could literally bring an automatic rifle into the House and start shooting his political opponents and there'd be no possibility of repercussions. Insanity.

Beyond that, it may be time to consider if pardons can be voided, however situationally. For instance, a pardon for anyone connected to malfeasance by the President and their administration seems like clear conflict of interest, and thus shouldn't be permitted. This should get around the principle of no retroactive legislation; it doesn't affect the ability to issue the pardon, just the ability to review that issuance. Basically, lets Congress repeal a pardon based on extenuating circumstances, theoretically.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The big question is gonna be if a self-pardon is even Constitutionally viable.
    Trump would have to be a fool to risk it. If he pardons himself, and does not resign to let Pence pardon him, he will have to accept whatever the courts decide.

Honestly, that's what I'm expecting today: Trump resigning, and handing Pence a whole stack of pardons he's supposed to sign.

I doubt Trump is dumb enough to pardon himself as that'd essentially be an admission of guilt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Trump would have to be a fool to risk it. If he pardons himself, and does not resign to let Pence pardon him, he will have to accept whatever the courts decide.

Honestly, that's what I'm expecting today: Trump resigning, and handing Pence a whole stack of pardons he's supposed to sign.
    And Pence would be a colossal idiot to do a damned thing Trump wants from him. He owes Trump nothing, at this point, and can gain nothing by currying further favor with him. Even the rest of the Party is turning on Trump, so it's not even party affiliation.

This is very much a case where I would argue that letting non-partisan justice reign is better for everyone, especially the long-term health of the Republican Party, if you can get a lot of these nutcase Q-anon members barred from serving, like Boebert. Better, they wouldn't even be able to split and form a new party; a 14th Amendment violation prevents them EVER serving in Congress (barring the possibility of 2/3 support in both houses, which is unlikely).

Alliance

Assange and Snowden most assuredly should be pardoned at this point. If I must choose only one, then it will be Snowden.
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD

10+ Year Old Account
    The big question is gonna be if a self-pardon is even Constitutionally viable. When challenged, I imagine SCOTUS will toss that possibility out, as the alternative is stating that the President is forevermore immune to all prosecution for any federal crimes during or leading up to their Presidency, as they can summarily pardon themselves for any such thing. I can't see SCOTUS giving that kind of power to the President. He could literally bring an automatic rifle into the House and start shooting his political opponents and there'd be no possibility of repercussions. Insanity.

Beyond that, it may be time to consider if pardons can be voided, however situationally. For instance, a pardon for anyone connected to malfeasance by the President and their administration seems like clear conflict of interest, and thus shouldn't be permitted. This should get around the principle of no retroactive legislation; it doesn't affect the ability to issue the pardon, just the ability to review that issuance. Basically, lets Congress repeal a pardon based on extenuating circumstances, theoretically.
    The idea that a president (or anyone) could pardon themselves just goes against common sense, much less legal or constitutional sense. It sets someone up to be totally outside the law, which is absolutely not what the Founding Fathers envisioned. No one can be the judge and jury of their own trial, it's ridiculous, and that's essentially what a self-pardon is.

The idea that Ford could pardon Nixon pre-emptively was also complete and utter bullshit that should have been reviewed and tossed out.

There needs to be a constitutional amendment putting a check on the Presidential pardon power, or maybe just remove it entirely.
    Putin khuliyo

No, Trump isn't resigning, there's no need. He has the means to avoid any actual punishment for his actions.

I think it's definitely possible that he tries to pardon himself, because that's the type of pig that he is. But if he resigns, then that shows weakness... and Trump is all about appearances. He will continue to lie, and swear he won. He will refuse to actually admit he lost, and will simply fly off into the sunset. Sure, he'll pop up in a few months, to show his face at some rally, or even to promote his new "free speech" channel/app. But, this will only be to make money, and push his brand.

10+ Year Old Account
    And Pence would be a colossal idiot to do a damned thing Trump wants from him. He owes Trump nothing, at this point
    This is where the 2024 jockeying for position comes into play.
    1) Does the Republican Party think they need Trump?
    2) For what crimes would Trump be begging for pre-emptive immunity?
    3) Who else would Trump pardon/ask Pence to pardon?

Pence thinks he has honor. If Trump hands him a pardon that says "I Have Absolute Immunity" he's going to balk. If Trump says "Pardon the murderous insurrectionists" he's going to balk. If the GOP looks at what Trump has done to their party and decides "we need more of this please!" then Pence will grind his teeth while signing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    He has the means to avoid any actual punishment for his actions.
    If you're talking about self-pardon, the matter is not clear.

If you're talking about anything else, let us know please.

15+ Year Old Account
    There are reports coming in that Trump is considering, or issuing, "secret pardons" which of course would also be pre-emptive and blanket since the crimes haven't been charged yet.

While the idea of a pre-emptive, secret, blanket pardon is probably as corrupt as you can get, if this is found to be true, then sadly this thread becomes irrelevant until the list is also disclosed.
    Secret pardons, is this a joke? Is he really trying to play a trap card face down or something? even in the last few hours he's treating the presidency as if it's a shitty game, no decency, no respect and no intelligence. Pardoning himself is just as much a farce, and shouldn't be taken seriously by any judge or jury, as he would basically admit that he's guilty, it's just as damning as a full blown confession.
    Last edited by bloodkin; 2021-01-19 at 05:08 PM.
    'Something's awry.' -Duhgan 'Bel' beltayn

'A Man choses, a Slave obeys.' -Andrew Rayn

This is where the 2024 jockeying for position comes into play.
    1) Does the Republican Party think they need Trump?
    2) For what crimes would Trump be begging for pre-emptive immunity?
    3) Who else would Trump pardon/ask Pence to pardon?

Pence thinks he has honor. If Trump hands him a pardon that says "I Have Absolute Immunity" he's going to balk. If Trump says "Pardon the murderous insurrectionists" he's going to balk. If the GOP looks at what Trump has done to their party and decides "we need more of this please!" then Pence will grind his teeth while signing.

- - - Updated - - -

If you're talking about self-pardon, the matter is not clear.

If you're talking about anything else, let us know please.
    He's wealthy, and has connections inside the government, as well as the resources to simply leave the country.

A self-pardon puts him as the most corrupt, and worst president of all time. As of now, he's in the bottom 3-4.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Will Trump Pardon himself?

Yes.
    I'm very well aware I could be 100% wrong but I doubt it. Two reason -- one it requires him to admin guilt as part of the pardon and that goes against his narcissistic nature. And second just like I said in the other thread he will not do anything that would put him in any more legal jeopardy which a self-pardon could very well do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bloodkin View Post
    Secret pardons, is this a joke?
    ....how would that even work? Don't pardons by their very nature have to be made public because they impact public court proceedings? If they are for future hypothetical crimes that haven't happened yet that can't be legal -- since by their very nature they could be considered conspiracy to commit that very crime. That just can't hold up in court...........can it?
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

7+ Year Old Account
    If Trump and the republicans were serious about “healing”, then Trump should pardon Hunter Biden.

But no, they will continue to whine and say we need to move on while demanding investigations every day.