Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Racial Essentialism isn't an "own"; I know that is where you guys want to go but I don't define culture by skin color.
    What culture really is, is not something you can define by what you feel.

You can't just go "It's just the language byebye"

There's a huge differene on culture between LA and Wales.

Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    Haha that is quite stupid, considering that the US was founded by people from all over the world with different cultures, who pretty much invaded a new foreign culture.

Remind me again how many areas New York has, that are a few blocks of a certain culture...
    I don't know about NYC but where I grew up in Fl, literally ever country in the America, north and south, was represented. From your tiny island nations to your big ones like Mexico and Canada.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Krakan View Post
    I don't think you grasp the point as it isn't consumption but contribution being discussed. Worse is how they are actively used to depress the wages of unskilled workers actively making the loves of the working poor harder.
    They actually pay more into a system they never get a chance to use.

And give me an example of them depressing wages. Are you saying the farmers that are pushing higher wages even for their legal residents in California, but aren't getting people to pick crops are getting their wages depressed? Because I have seen this bullshit argument before, and even when farmers could afford to pay $20+ for wages for picking things they can't automate, citizens won't even do the jobs. So, please, show me an example of them depressing wages.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I went to a private school for a few years and we had to learn about the religious history of America (which they actually taught pretty objectively). There was a lot tribalism among different Christian denominations as well. Basically until Catholic immigration scared them.

America is a country where no groups in without hazing.
    The distrust against catholics was even apparent with JFK as he was a practicing Catholic.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    sip.
    The thing is tho....

"Whiteness" is just not a thing. Historically speaking. It was just some shit slavers/colonialists made up to justify their shit.

There's no "white culture" or "heritage" or "civilization". There is European. There is Italian, English, Polish, German, Dutch, French, Spanish, Russian, Greek and so on and on.

There's even an American and Canadian culture, but neither of them are white.

American national identity is literally a bits and pieces hodgepodge of hundreds of various cultural influences merged into a thing.

And even within that thing there's variation. I'm pretty sure a native Texan doesn't think his culture to identical to that of some from Jersey. Nor is a Floridian cultural identical to someone from Oregon.

Pompeo is a fucking moron at best, or is having a full Nazi meltdown at worst. I mean he does fucking sound like Goebbles or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    It doesnt destroy the land to bury styrofoam 25 feet below the ground
    Today Obama once again kneeled at the altar of environmental naziism and hurt this once great country. He has now banned all drilling in the Atlantic Ocean

Quote Originally Posted by gondrin View Post
    The distrust against catholics was even apparent with JFK as he was a practicing Catholic.
    Its 2021 and Biden gets some heat every now and then for being Catholic.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by TigTone View Post
    Like New Mexico to New New York.
    Newer York.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

That is incredibly rare, and legally speaking not sanctioned at all. Spanish is one that is changing in that probably in some small parts of California you could get by without speaking English at all. Which is mainly my point; until recently it was largely forbidden to not speak English
    The only instance I can find of this is that during World War I, some states made it illegal to speak German. For example, Iowa Governor William Harding banned the use of any foreign language in public in 1918. But this wasn't a widespread act and there's no evidence that foreign languages were 'largely forbidden' in America at any point. Racist people have existed and hurt foreign speakers out of fear and hate but there was no widespread law preventing foreign languages from being spoken outside the Babel Proclamation during WW1.
    https://blogs.illinois.edu/view/25/653544

Quote Originally Posted by wunksta View Post
    The only instance I can find of this is that during World War I, some states made it illegal to speak German. For example, Iowa Governor William Harding banned the use of any foreign language in public in 1918. But this wasn't a widespread act and there's no evidence that foreign languages were 'largely forbidden' in America at any point. Racist people have existed and hurt foreign speakers out of fear and hate but there was no widespread law preventing foreign languages from being spoken outside the Babel Proclamation during WW1.
    https://blogs.illinois.edu/view/25/653544
    If history doesn’t work, let’s try pop culture:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinatown_(1974_film)

Do we really think that the Chinese that built our rail infrastructure, were not legally permitted to talk to each other? WTF?

'Forgotten by society' – how Chinese migrants built the transcontinental railroad
    https://www.theguardian.com/artandde...ental-railroad

Edit: How does one reconcile freedom of speech being limited to English? Seriously... this whole concept is absurd... this being their main point, means they have no point... no... what’s the opposite of having a point? That... losing a point? What ever it is... it’s the opposite of making a point.
    Last edited by Felya; 2021-01-20 at 02:24 PM.
    As above, so below.
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    My body is a wonderland.

I don't think you grasp the point as it isn't consumption but contribution being discussed. Worse is how they are actively used to depress the wages of unskilled workers actively making the loves of the working poor harder.
    Do legal permanent residents pay no taxes where you live, or something? No sales tax? No gas tax? No income tax? No property tax? No SSI? No Medicare?

This is true in your headcanon I suppose. It completely ignores the entire history of Mexican migrants going back and forth across the border seasonally before the 1980's, doing the work that most American citizens didn't want to do. I do find it hilarious that Repubs cry about wage suppression, one of the biggest sins of giant corporations and the conservative political machine backing them, then they have the audacity to blame it on migrants. But you know, Republicans gonna Republican.
    "Nazis are like cats. If they like you, it's probably because you're feeding them." -John Oliver
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    I don't care if he committed tax fraud. Scoring political victories and crushing the aspirations of your political opponents is more important than adhering to moral principles.
    Knadra finally just admitting Trumpkins care more about political victories than morals.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    We should have unlimited tolerance for all people regardless of their cultural background but that does not mean anyone should value multiculturalism itself. If two cultures have different values on the same (non-trivial) topic then 1 of them will be slightly more or less based in reason. So why should I celebrate more than 1 culture when only 1 of them can be the most reasonable on any given issue.
    Are there examples of this where it poses a problem?

- - - Updated - - -

Given America has never really say had more than one spoken language allowed, in a cultural sense America is pretty uni-cultural. Usually other languages are squashed or strong discouraged. In the case of Native Americans we had an entire boarding school system and strong laws repressing said languages.
    Southern Florida says hola.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

I'm torn. We've seen both lying about supporting MLK while doing policies that are the exact opposite of what he would want, and then this, utter honesty, in the most horrifying (dis)respects.

I don't know what's worse, honestly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daevelian View Post
    So this is how far the Lore forum has fallen? Eesh.
    I take it back, BfA is not the lowest the games lore could have gone, this thread proves that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    And just like the thread before it, let's back away from sexualizing Azshara and return to the original topic at hand.

That is incredibly rare, and legally speaking not sanctioned at all. Spanish is one that is changing in that probably in some small parts of California you could get by without speaking English at all. Which is mainly my point; until recently it was largely forbidden to not speak English and functioning without English in the United States is still a big challenge; we are thus by my estimation not really a Multicultural society. Things are slightly different now but you more or less cannot function without English. Not for example to the extent of say Quebec vis a vis Canada which is more Multicultural. i.e. a two whole cultures existing in the same State with relative parity.
    If you can show me where there is any law that states that you must speak only english in the US, I would love to see it. There may be a policy here and there that states official documents are going to be printed in english but I know of no actual law that states otherwise. If there was, explain the Amish communities that speak a type of german language or the various Little X places(Italy, Chinatown, Japan, Cuba, etc.) where a lot of the people speak their native language mainly.

lol did pompeo just get Chinese sanctions against him

That is incredibly rare, and legally speaking not sanctioned at all. Spanish is one that is changing in that probably in some small parts of California you could get by without speaking English at all. Which is mainly my point; until recently it was largely forbidden to not speak English and functioning without English in the United States is still a big challenge; we are thus by my estimation not really a Multicultural society. Things are slightly different now but you more or less cannot function without English. Not for example to the extent of say Quebec vis a vis Canada which is more Multicultural. i.e. a two whole cultures existing in the same State with relative parity.
    Who isn't "sanctioning" it at all?

Your estimation is fucking wrong, on almost every single level. this is literally a nation of immigrants, and hundreds of different cultures. I don't have the same culture as any of my nearby neighbors, and they all have different cultures from each other.

I get that you want to kick out all the brown people, and those who talk funny... but we don't live in a fascist ethno-state, no matter how much you Trumpsters tried to make it so.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    lol did pompeo just get Chinese sanctions against him
    That he did.
    China sanctions Pompeo, O’Brien, Azar and other Trump administration officials after Biden inauguration

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Are there examples of this where it poses a problem?
    Yeah I prefer a secular culture so when religious immigrants bring in their superstitions I find it problematic. That's mainly a problem in Europe but in California I have come across some crazy Catholics from Mexico, or at least their parents were from Mexico. A long time ago I (reluctantly) went to a Catholic church sermon with a Mexican woman and at some point in the sermon everyone started walking up to the front of the church. When I got there the pastor handed me a cracker thing but it didn't look appetizing so I just kept it in my hand. Then all of a sudden one of the Mexican guys got very aggressive with me and accosted me because he said I was rejecting God and he threatened me until I ate the damn cracker. It was really annoying. I wasn't even trying to be sacrilegious in the slightest it just didn't occur to me that I would want to put it in my mouth.

Also most cultures are more misogynistic and homophobic then Western culture so why would we celebrate them instead of asserting the superiority of universal Western values.
    Optimism!

Let's stop this here, before it gets worse.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."