Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Mobile phone suggestions

I am looking for a new phone. Currently, I am using a Galaxy S9+ but never liked the fact my phone was preloaded with all sort of apps I couldn't remove. Also felt the camera was a tad weak.

My requirements:
    - Great camera (so better than what I have), I do mean the real camera, not the frontal one, I don't ever take selfies, I don't really need a frontal camera (but I guess all models have one these days).. I just want a really good normal one.

At this point I don't care about price to much, as long as it has a really good camera and not loaded with stuff you cannot remove.
    Last edited by Planetdune; 2021-01-20 at 12:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Google pixel? Although i am no expert but i do find it has a good camera for its price range due to the processing software but you probably want something better by the sound of it.
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Planetdune View Post
    Currently, I am using a Galaxy S9+ but never liked the fact my phone was preloaded with all sort of apps I couldn't remove. Also felt the camera was weak.
    I've used Google Pixels for the last few years which they just give you the lean/vanilla version of Android and I don't remember having any preloaded garbage or trouble getting rid of things I don't want. I don't think it usually beats the Samsung Galaxy phones in reviews but the camera is definitely competitive with all the other smartphone cameras.

10+ Year Old Account
    The next Galaxy is coming. First one to grab my attention in a couple of years.

Yeah but one of the reasons I stopped getting galaxys was all the bloat. I like the current LG I have but I don't care for their new ones. The Wing is asking for its flip screen to be snapped off.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2021-01-20 at 03:11 AM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Pixel sounds like your best bet, it has a lot of praise for its camera software and technology. I would recommend OnePlus as they are superb phones, but the cameras are not very good. I had a Galaxy S7 for nearly 5 years (awesome phone) and now have a OP 8T, and I would honestly say the S7 camera is not that far behind it, especially in some low light situations.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    The next Galaxy is coming. First one to grab my attention in a couple of years.

Yeah but one of the reasons I stopped getting galaxys was all the bloat. I like the current LG I have but I don't care for their new ones. The Wing is asking for its flip screen to be snapped off.
    Think I will boycott Samsung now, personally. The way they rip Apple to death about certain things like removing the charger from the box, headphone jack, extra features on more expensive models of phones, but then copy them a year later is pathetic. Not to mention their prices have shot through the roof. Providing OnePlus don't change in similar ways, I think they will be my choice from now on.

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually like Galaxies, they give excellent device for sane price, unlike Apple. Apple gives great devices, but their prices are always bloated as hell here.

I personally always go for S series, but their A series is seriously kickass combination of great device and great price, IMO. Upcoming A52 seems like a great phone all in all. A series is like 85% of what you get in S series at 40% price.

I'm also going to pitch in with the Pixel here. I've switched to them since they're budget phones with decent cameras. And at the end of the day, I'm not using my phone for anything majorly intensive so why pay for a super high-end device?

Obviously it differs between folks but I'd like to think the days of phone brands winning popularity contests are behind us. I'd take a cheap no-name phone any day so long as it had what I needed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Think I will boycott Samsung now, personally. The way they rip Apple to death about certain things like removing the charger from the box, headphone jack, extra features on more expensive models of phones, but then copy them a year later is pathetic. Not to mention their prices have shot through the roof. Providing OnePlus don't change in similar ways, I think they will be my choice from now on.
    I hear you. You named a number of my beefs. The new models have actually dropped quite a bit in price and the difference in models are features that are actual luxuries/aimed at enthusiasts. Consumers actually ask for the stupid stuff like moving the headphone jack do they can be like their friends with an iPhone - not removing the jack specifically but for a thinner phone that requires the jack to be removed. Dumb. Camera wars are now a thing. My last two LG phones have have two rear cameras and now tucked into the body of the phone and now people suddenly wanted 30 giant ugly cameras on their phone. They see phones that don't protruding have them ad lame and inferior so companies do it. All that said, I believe. Galaxys are far more forward than iPhones. Apple isn't forward thinking with its technology. Apples selling point is that it takes tech and makes it very super friendly, to the point that it's off putting to some people like myself. Part of they way make stuff user friendly is by restricting how it can be used.

OnePlus is definitely good and a company I have to think less about going with.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2021-01-20 at 11:33 AM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I hear you. You named a number of my beefs. The new models have actually dropped quite a bit in price and the difference in models are features that are actual luxuries/aimed at enthusiasts. Consumers actually ask for the stupid stuff like moving the headphone jack do they can be like their friends with an iPhone - not removing the jack specifically but for a thinner phone that requires the jack to be removed. Dumb. Camera wars are now a thing. My last two LG phones have have two rear cameras and now tucked into the body of the phone and now people suddenly wanted 30 giant ugly cameras on their phone. They see phones that don't protruding have them ad lame and inferior so companies do it. All that said, I believe. Galaxys are far more forward than iPhones. Apple isn't forward thinking with its technology. Apples selling point is that it takes tech and makes it very super friendly, to the point that it's off putting to some people like myself. Part of they way make stuff user friendly is by restricting how it can be used.

OnePlus is definitely good and a company I have to think less about going with.
    camera wars started because producers run out of way to thin the phones anymore.

every mobile phone looks basicly the same - so cameras are one of very few things that differenciate them.

if i were to buy a phone for myself now i would probably buy some extra cheap stuff like xiaomi 9 pro and then just change it 2-3 years later for something equaly cheap. would never buy stuff like iphone 12 even though im using one because it came with my job (using xiaomi 8 pro since last year as my "private " phone and im super happy with it for the price i paid +/- 200$)
    Last edited by kamuimac; 2021-01-20 at 01:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Avoid anything from Google or Huwai or Apple for start.

Samsung is the safest bet, but before you use it you gota delete all the trash from it. You can remove trash from it, but its a bit of work.

https://technastic.com/remove-samsun...o-remove-apps/

But if you are planing to get pixel ... this is a option:

I would personaly go for Snapdragon tho.
    https://www.qualcomm.com/snapdragon/...s/phone-finder

But you can always go for Nokia. (they dont add bloatware)
    https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_us
    (you will still have to de-google it tho)

Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra has an unreal camera and the phone is fast AF.

Get yourself Pixel 4A. Its camera is as good as $1500 phones on the market!

I always prefer iphone12 max pro!!!

according to my sibling who is into photography and film. iphone. me, I've been sticking to galaxies for years now. but cameras are not the major selling point for me, so...

5+ Year Old Account
    Picked up a used Iphone 11 Pro (in ideal condition, no wear or scratches whatsoever) love the compact size, everything is smooth and the cameras are superb.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think I ever saw better for the money than the last pixel phones. to begin with it's pure android with no bloat, if you like the convenience of not having to deal with free os and softwares, this can be fairly handy.
    Last edited by Cæli; 2021-01-25 at 08:09 PM.

Keyboard Turner
    3+ Year Old Account
    Interesting suggestions. I'm also searching for new one. So it was useful to get some information here.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love my Iphone 7 Plus it's the last Iphone I bought and currently own, IPHONE is awesome, HOWEVER the bullshit size is NOT and I am really getting sick and tired of huge ass phone alternatives. So if it's just a smart phone Iphone is the best, however if you want a phone that is awesome and not fucking huge probably out of luck.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    I love my Iphone 7 Plus it's the last Iphone I bought and currently own, IPHONE is awesome, HOWEVER the bullshit size is NOT and I am really getting sick and tired of huge ass phone alternatives. So if it's just a smart phone Iphone is the best, however if you want a phone that is awesome and not fucking huge probably out of luck.
    Heavy phones and bulky cases are terrible but I could never go down in screen size anymore. Everytime I've tried a smaller phone I've felt like an idiot because I have to put more effort into reading smaller text and my fingers/thumb felt clumsy.
    Last edited by PC2; 2021-03-04 at 04:29 PM.