Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    It's very possible the car thief actually did the mom a favor.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that this is almost certainly not the first time she left her kid alone with the car unlocked and running.

Without this experience, she likely would have continued doing that, and eventually someone might have stolen the car who wouldn't have been so nice to the kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Ursus View Post
    It's very possible the car thief actually did the mom a favor.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that this is almost certainly not the first time she left her kid alone with the car unlocked and running.

Without this experience, she likely would have continued doing that, and eventually someone might have stolen the car who wouldn't have been so nice to the kid.
    That seems utterly insane to me...

Granted leaving your car running is bizzare that still doesn't excuse the theft.

I have major doubts that the thief was concerned at all about the kid. If he decided not to return the child? His chances of getting caught go way up, as well as the severity of his punishment. All for no gain for himself. If he dumped the child off at the side of the road instead of bringing it back, same thing. While he was scolding the mom his words might as well be translated to "do you know how much extra trouble you could have gotten me into?!" Probably one of those assholes that justifies it by thinking "the insurance company will pay her, and I get to have a car. It's win win!"

I could be wrong but maybe I'm jaded to give the benefit of the doubt to someone who stole a car.

Car theft gives him what? A few months to 3 years in prison. Now... kidnapping would result in 5 years to life in prison, depending, what happens to the child.
    I doubt, that he was concerned about the child, but more, that he doesn't want to get nailed for kidnapping. Aside of, well, you steal an 8 year old, used Honda, chances are, you get away with it. You kidnapp a child, the FBI and every local and state police is pretty much on your traces.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    He still stole the car after he returned the kid, so he really was just looking out for himself.

All he cared if his defense if he got caught with the car. "Your honor, my client can't be so bad if he returned the kid and lectured the mom."
    Do you seriously need me to explain to you the number of ways he could have played this or looked out for himself without returning the kid to his mom? I find your lack of imagination disturbing.