Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chromell View Post
    Did all other expansions feel like Warcraft to you? I have no quarrel with Shadowlands in that regard, this is a breath of fresh air to me, new settings, new racesm conflicts and interactions. I think we need a break every now and then from the big bads we've always known, especially given the direction the story writing has taken several expansions ago.
    I think for me personally I am just not interested int he theme. As much as I love the art and sound design for these new zones, because damn it looks beautiful, they just feel empty in substance, I don;t care about these covenants on a scale that I really want to. The lore in Shadowlands is just so boring. And I know thats a generic term, because its a beautiful looking expansion but I have lost all interest to want to hop back on again. I been telling myself maybe its burn out, but I know what burn out feels like I had that halfway through cataclysm, and I didn't come back until the end of MoP.

I still cannot put my finger on the major issue why I am no longer playing despite really wanting to come back, but I am struggling when it comes to interest. I haven't played for 3 weeks, and I don;t intend to return yet. Hopefully I do, but if this is the end for WoW for me, then its sad because I never planned to stop or showed any indication I was going to, I just one day didn't want to log on, and here we are three weeks later.
    Last edited by Orby; 2021-01-28 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by belicus View Post
    Shadowlands feels like some new writers wanted to tell THEIR story, but to an existing Warcraft crowd. The whole expansion basically feels like they hijacked the setting.
    Sounds quite likely. Maybe that explains why they've been retconning the everliving crap out of the pre-WoD lore, in order to "tell the story they want to tell", even if you could drive a truck through the plot holes they are leaving behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    The Jailer's first ever appearance involved chucking him [Baine] off a cliff for being too shit to even qualify as a Maw trash mob.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    I know that you're missing the point. We have entire threads that are just people repeatedly stating their opinions, disguising them as fact, and not actually engaging in any meaningful discussion with one another.

There's a difference between hyperbole and making a completely incorrect claim. Hyperbole is saying "every game" when you just mean "many games". Saying "every game" when you mean "common in fantasy" isn't hyperbole, it's a misstatement.
    You know jack shit as usual. What the hell are you even talking about? This thread is literally titled "Shadowlands doesn't feel like Warcraft". This isn't about ""facts"", it's about people's perception/opinion and lots of people seem to share the sentiments that were expressed in the original post. You sit here complaining about people not engaging in "meaningful discussion" like you're some kind of enlightened arbiter of online discourse when you're the one focusing on stupid and obvious hyperboles for the sole purpose of derailing the conversation. This is just incredibly silly to me. But go off, king.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Sounds quite likely. Maybe that explains why they've been retconning the everliving crap out of the pre-WoD lore, in order to "tell the story they want to tell", even if you could drive a truck through the plot holes they are leaving behind.
    The cosmology and lore behind Shadowlands was laid down by Metzen in the Chronicles. You might not like the direction it's going but pretending Warcraft lore is a different story by new people is blatant bullshit, an attempt to turn "I don't like this" to "this isn't valid" so your feels are validated.

Think about the Silmarrilion, people who like the Lord of the Rings might get upset about it being all about spirits and mysticism and not just dwarves and elves wandering about forests but it's still part of the lore of Tolkien.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    You know jack shit as usual. What the hell are you even talking about? This thread is literally titled "Shadowlands doesn't feel like Warcraft". This isn't about ""facts"", it's about people's perception/opinion and lots of people seem to share the sentiments that were expressed in the original post. You sit here complaining about people not engaging in "meaningful discussion" like you're some kind of enlightened arbiter of online discourse when you're the one focusing on stupid and obvious hyperboles for the sole purpose of derailing the conversation. This is just incredibly silly to me. But go off, king.
    And you're mostly busy misrepresenting arguments, so i'm not sure why you think you've got some sort of moral superiority that entitles you do talk down to others.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    And you're mostly busy misrepresenting arguments, so i'm not sure why you think you've got some sort of moral superiority that entitles you do talk down to others.
    I feel like you might be projecting a little, buddy. But feel free to point out where I've mispresented your arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    The cosmology and lore behind Shadowlands was laid down by Metzen in the Chronicles. You might not like the direction it's going but pretending Warcraft lore is a different story by new people is blatant bullshit, an attempt to turn "I don't like this" to "this isn't valid" so your feels are validated.

Think about the Silmarrilion, people who like the Lord of the Rings might get upset about it being all about spirits and mysticism and not just dwarves and elves wandering about forests but it's still part of the lore of Tolkien.
    There's a big difference between laying out the cosmology as a background of the universe for people to read up on if they're interested and actually sending the player to "attack" the pillars of that cosmology. That being said, a lot of the things laid out by Chronicles have already been retconned by the current story team so the comparison to Tolkien's universe doesn't really work that well.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    I mean, isn't that...kind of the point?
    The point of what? "Feeling Alien" is the point of a new expansion? How so? So, I played Kingmaker and the expansion is Kingmaker expanded and made better in the same mold. I don't want the Kingmaker expansion to feel like "A mobile game" I want Kingmaker+++ in an expansion.

Shadowlands feels like a cheap mobile game now, imo.

Previous expansions all added new places and creatures, but they brought existing elements there as well. You would find the classic races of Azeroth building settlements there, you'd see murlocs, goblin towns, human castles and so on.
    A realm that is alien to us, should have unfamiliar things.

Bolvar and the Alliance/Horde leaders are already an essential part of the SL story. I am sure that they will continue to be a part of it into later chapters.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    I feel like you might be projecting a little, buddy. But feel free to point out where I've mispresented your arguments.

There's a big difference between laying out the cosmology as a background of the universe for people to read up on if they're interested and actually sending the player to "attack" the pillars of that cosmology. That being said, a lot of the things laid out by Chronicles have already been retconned by the current story team so the comparison to Tolkien's universe doesn't really work that well.
    We're not "attacking" a "pillar" of the cosmology, we're defending a neighbouring plane that happens to be the destination for the souls of the dead.

The Tolkien comparison wasn't meant to say it is exactly the same thing, WoW is closer to a comic book universe where many people work on it over many years (although Tolkien wasn't averse to the odd retcon as he merged his greater mythos with the stories he used to tell his children.) I was pointing out that most people are familiar with The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings which are fairly grounded fantasies but that doesn't mean the things described in the Silmarrilion aren't equally valid despite being much grander with abstract concepts given forma and a more spiritual angle to some of the ordering of the world.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sunslayer View Post
    The point of what? "Feeling Alien" is the point of a new expansion? How so? So, I played Kingmaker and the expansion is Kingmaker expanded and made better in the same mold. I don't want the Kingmaker expansion to feel like "A mobile game" I want Kingmaker+++ in an expansion.

Shadowlands feels like a cheap mobile game now, imo.
    In what way? The core gameplay is the same as it pretty much always has been, the graphics are to a higher standard, the major pillars of gameplay like dungeons, raids, battlegrounds, arenas and a large open world are still there. Closest thing to mobile-friendly gameplay is the missions table and if anything that is much less important than it has been in the last few expansions.

It is just a bad expansion as was BFA. The current dev team is terrible. Activision is terrible and is controlling blizzard more and more. Shadowlands barely feels like a MMORPG at all.
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I still cannot put my finger on the major issue why I am no longer playing despite really wanting to come back, but I am struggling when it comes to interest. I haven't played for 3 weeks, and I don;t intend to return yet. Hopefully I do, but if this is the end for WoW for me, then its sad because I never planned to stop or showed any indication I was going to, I just one day didn't want to log on, and here we are three weeks later.
    That kind of feeling has hit me before, but not just in games. I've felt the exactly same on series I was following, one day I simply did not watch a following episode and that was it. Our routine impacts big time on our hobbies, or it could be that your interest in WoW has waned, which could really happen to anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    We're not "attacking" a "pillar" of the cosmology, we're defending a neighbouring plane that happens to be the destination for the souls of the dead.

The Tolkien comparison wasn't meant to say it is exactly the same thing, WoW is closer to a comic book universe where many people work on it over many years (although Tolkien wasn't averse to the odd retcon as he merged his greater mythos with the stories he used to tell his children.) I was pointing out that most people are familiar with The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings which are fairly grounded fantasies but that doesn't mean the things described in the Silmarrilion aren't equally valid despite being much grander with abstract concepts given forma and a more spiritual angle to some of the ordering of the world.

- - - Updated - - -

In what way? The core gameplay is the same as it pretty much always has been, the graphics are to a higher standard, the major pillars of gameplay like dungeons, raids, battlegrounds, arenas and a large open world are still there. Closest thing to mobile-friendly gameplay is the missions table and if anything that is much less important than it has been in the last few expansions.
    In the way that M+ has no loot progression. The fact that Raids no longer have tier set bonuses, no reason to Raid. Now, I just PvP. In Legion (Didnt play much BfA as I hated it) I raided, did Rated PvP and tons of M+. They have made the game feel so boring and pointless outside of PvP due to how awful gear is. Gear is how we progress in WoW. Imo, this is by far the worst expansion to date. I played all of WoD; say what you will but at least the classes were fun and that made the game fun for me. Shadowlands Class design and balance just sucks. I dont want to write a novel but I could easily write thousands of words about how much of this expansion just sucks. It feels like they had such a small staff when creating SLs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dystemper View Post
    It is just a bad expansion as was BFA. The current dev team is terrible. Activision is terrible and is controlling blizzard more and more. Shadowlands barely feels like a MMORPG at all.
    10000% agree. Cant stand the new direction this Dev team is taking.

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    No new race or class for the 2nd expansion? BFA added what, 12 races and Legion gave you a class. Chill.
    They didn't add a single one. They altered a given race, slapped a play requirement on it and called it "new". Stop being suck a massive fan boy and stop sucking their dick. The game fucking sucks now. Nothing new is added without requiring you to farm exalted rep do 1.8 billion dungeons and farm 2 trillion raptor assholes. And even then it's not new. It's just the same shit you already have slightly changed.

You do know WoW STILL has the worst character customization of any modern game. Fucking cellphone games have better character creation.

In the way that M+ has no loot progression. The fact that Raids no longer have tier set bonuses, no reason to Raid. Now, I just PvP. In Legion (Didnt play much BfA as I hated it) I raided, did Rated PvP and tons of M+. They have made the game feel so boring and pointless outside of PvP due to how awful gear is. Gear is how we progress in WoW. Imo, this is by far the worst expansion to date. I played all of WoD; say what you will but at least the classes were fun and that made the game fun for me. Shadowlands Class design and balance just sucks. I dont want to write a novel but I could easily write thousands of words about how much of this expansion just sucks. It feels like they had such a small staff when creating SLs.

- - - Updated - - -

10000% agree. Cant stand the new direction this Dev team is taking.
    Blizzard made the fatal flaw of not designing the expansion around your very specific needs as an individual player. Have you tried sending a passionate e-mail addressed directly to Mr. Hazzikostas? It sounds like your opinion is important enough for billion dollar companies to bend to your every need so I'm sure he'll be excited to hear from you!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by heartless8604 View Post
    You do know WoW STILL has the worst character customization of any modern game. Fucking cellphone games have better character creation.
    Good thing people like you keep the their fingers on the pulse of the playerbases' real problems: The fact that there isn't a slider for the size of your female Troll's boobs.

All complaints that have been levelled at other expansions, Blizz always change stuff and some people like it and some don't, I still don't get how it resembles a mobile game though, the gameplay is still WoW even if you've fallen out with the model of gear progression and decided the class design isn't to your liking.

The Unstoppable Force
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by heartless8604 View Post
    They didn't add a single one. They altered a given race, slapped a play requirement on it and called it "new". Stop being suck a massive fan boy and stop sucking their dick. The game fucking sucks now. Nothing new is added without requiring you to farm exalted rep do 1.8 billion dungeons and farm 2 trillion raptor assholes. And even then it's not new. It's just the same shit you already have slightly changed.

Well aren't you adorable?

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Previous expansions all added new places and creatures, but they brought existing elements there as well. You would find the classic races of Azeroth building settlements there, you'd see murlocs, goblin towns, human castles and so on.
    Shadowlands doesn't have any of that. It's all completely different to the point where it feels like I'm playing some chinese knockoff of wow.
    Even the loading screen looks more like something out of Narnia and that movie sucked.
    Also, the fact that they added a bunch of existing characters that just sit in a corner in Oribos doesn't help.

This is my main gripe with the expansion and wanted to ask if anyone feels the same way.
    It is in the same vein as warlords of draenor. Something interesting at the time, but ultimately pointless to the wow universe as a whole.

Considering we are in another plane of existence Shadowlands shouldn't feel like World of Warcraft to begin with?

In my opinion I think they missed the mark on the opposite direction then the OP complains about. We are traveling to places that aren't even part of the typical "physical existence". It was supposed to be something transcendent, something that represents life after death, with all the banal things of physical existence behind it. Instead you find exactly the same thing you found in any new continent you visit. Settlements and populations looking for resources, civilians training, hunting wild life, even the existence of wildlife seems mundane. I thought if anyone could have come up with a new reality and new "way of life" that isn't just a rehash of common life it would have been blizzard. But they either didn't want to or couldn't make it. I am enjoying the Shadowlands because it's something new to do, but it's far from one of the best expansions. And with now 4 characters levelled and geared up (which is unheard of for me at this point in an expansion) I feel content will run out very quickly.

I mean even the way the story was told is badly glued together. You hit 60 and 4 new dungeons unlock that SPOIL the story of the covenants. When I got to De Other Side, I wondered what did I miss? How did Bwonsamdi get here and why is he talking like it's continuing a story that I didn't play. Same for Spires of Ascension. It starts immediately by outing Devos as the traitor. And the story we play while levelling in Bastion has us look for the traitor, and I certainly guessed who it was from the shadowy silhouette in the cutscenes, but we didn't matter of fact find the traitor. But it just points to a badly planned experience where the release of content didn't happen as it was originally planned. If there was something Blizzard was/is becoming expert on is telling a story and this expansion was just a couple of steps backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    They dropped the ball by making each of the shadowlands "races" be their own thing. They should have been variants of the existing races.

Blue skinned and winged Dwarves
    Sickly looking pale Orcs
    Horned and hooved Night Elves
    Red eyed and fanged Goblins

It wouldn't have required major changes and could have kept them looking both uniquely "shadowlands" but still part of the setting as a whole.

Pretty damn sure people would complain about them being lazy if that were the case. Although I do agree with you, would be cool if it was.