Page 1 of 2
LastLast

The recent hotfixes seem really lacking

I don't know if it's just me, but what the hell is up with these hotfixes? There are so many pressing issues and bugs that need attention, and almost every single fix they're doing is so out there that I don't even know why they're prioritizing it.

They're really scraping the bottom of the barrel here. There have been 5 entire hotfixes or so where not a single fix was something that's actually urgent. All of them are these rare scenarios where x has to happen while y is being used in encounter z, and then some minor bug occurs. These feel like the kind of issues interns would work on.

It seems like Blizzard disappeared shortly after Shadowlands released and one or two junior devs are working on these hotfixes. From my personal experience as a dev it looks like a single person is going through the issue tracker, searching for easy to fix bugs. The game kind of feels like it's in maintenance mode right now. What is going on?

Quote Originally Posted by Masternap View Post
    I don't know if it's just me, but what the hell is up with these hotfixes? There are so many pressing issues and bugs that need attention, and almost every single fix they're doing is so out there that I don't even know why they're prioritizing it.

They're really scraping the bottom of the barrel here. There have been 5 entire hotfixes or so where not a single fix was something that's actually urgent. All of them are these rare scenarios where x has to happen while y is being used in encounter z, and then some minor bug occurs. These feel like the kind of issues interns would work on.

It seems like Blizzard disappeared shortly after Shadowlands released and one or two junior devs are working on these hotfixes. From my personal experience as a dev it looks like a single person is going through the issue tracker, searching for easy to fix bugs. The game kind of feels like it's in maintenance mode right now. What is going on?
    Are you mixing up class tuning and hotfixes? If there are actually bugs that you think are more immediate than these what are they? It just seems like you want more tuning instead of hotfixes.

Quote Originally Posted by Corroc View Post
    Are you mixing up class tuning and hotfixes? If there are actually bugs that you think are more immediate than these what are they? It just seems like you want more tuning instead of hotfixes.
    What about the MC bug? The stuck in starting area bug in arena, the fire mage glitch where you can carry a buff into the arena to literally 1 shot anybody with an instacast spell. Just for starters.

They might be busy fixing whatever is coming in next patch.

15+ Year Old Account
    I can't stand this company or expansion anymore. I gave it a fair shot, but it's just low effort.

I'm not sure people are aware of how bugfixing works.

Issues are recorded, documented, and evaluated. They're put in an order of severity/relevance. It's determined how much time/effort/money it takes to implement a fix. Then relevance and effort are weighed against each other, and a decision is made what to push first and when.

Just because they didn't push some fix this time round doesn't mean they don't know or don't care; it's just that it might take too long, not be serious enough, or a combination of factors.

That being said, if you do disagree with what they prioritize, you should absolutely make your voice heard. What's "relevant" is, after all, entirely contingent on the users. If you care enough about certain issues that you'd cancel your sub over them, let Blizzard know - maybe in the future they'll decide differently. But don't just randomly whine about "all these easy bugs everyone knows about that they just won't fix this instant because Blizzard is EVIL". There is a real value in holding companies accountable, but there's also a reasonable way to go about it.

I think they are waiting to actual patches to do anything. We've got balancing via hot fix plenty of times. I think this shit show is so bad they just going to do it in a large chunk. And I think it's going to be some of the largest amount of changes we've seen.
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM

You should apply to work for Blizzard so you can make sure, first hand, these pressing issues are made aware to the current developers who clearly do not possess the ability to read. Make sure you reference this thread in your application because the insights you've provided are so incredibly eye-opening that it makes it factually impossible for any reasonably intelligent human being to continue supporting the company.

Out of curiosity, do you have a Patreon I can support you with? I need to make sure that your word reaches as many people as possible because this world could use more revolutionary minds like yours.

I have lost much interest in the game recently because of this.
    Game breaking issues has low priority.
    Classes can't compete on an equal term in Raids, M+ or PvP. Some classes bring all the important abilities and utilities, others don't bring anything.
    RPvP is a joke unless you are hunter or boomkin. Like all the groups in there are boomkins. Can't get any invite for those things. Why make abilites stack with each other?
    M+ are dominated by certain classes and tanking is literally only for one class.

Yeah, may be I've missed that hotfix, but first serious bug, I encountered, when I started to play SL - was broken Kirian scenario with frozen mobs, that couldn't be completed till server reset.

May be Blizzard focus on making 9.1, that isn't ready, because SL development started way too late? Because, you know, it's 3 month since release + another month till Blizzcon + may be 2 months of PTR and it's already nothing to do in game, because, despite of all climes, it's still not casual/alt-friendly enough to be replayable.

Am I wrong or it's first time in Wow's history, when we don't even have some "leaks" about 9.1? That suggests, that in the past that leaks were most likely made up by Blizzard themselves.
    Last edited by WowIsDead64; 2021-01-22 at 06:59 AM.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Quote Originally Posted by Sagnar View Post
    Classes can't compete on an equal term in Raids, M+ or PvP. Some classes bring all the important abilities and utilities, others don't bring anything.
    RPvP is a joke unless you are hunter or boomkin. Like all the groups in there are boomkins. Can't get any invite for those things. Why make abilites stack with each other?
    M+ are dominated by certain classes and tanking is literally only for one class.
    Yep. Class and spec balance is a complete and utter joke right now. They need to do something now. Waiting till 9.1 isn't good enough. If they are afraid of "shaking up the meta", then just do small increases over time to under-performers weekly until you feel like they are in a good spot. "We are going to increase X's damage by 2%. We will further evaluate whether they need further buffs in the coming week.. " It's really not that hard.

You're referring to Paladins, right?

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    You're referring to Paladins, right?
    Paladins and Demon Hunters for M+, if you try signing up as anything else, prepare for "decline" messages.

Paladins and Demon Hunters for M+, if you try signing up as anything else, prepare for "decline" messages.
    Okay, so by "literally only one tank" you actually meant the opposite of whatever that means?

I get invited to every second group on my shitty geared dk tank. Last time I checked people are pretty desperate for tanks. Unless its a 14, 15 key, you will get invited even with lower gear.

Sadly tanking feels pretty unimpactful this expansion. Most fights are carried by dps and heal. Not so much by tanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post
    I can't stand this company or expansion anymore. I gave it a fair shot, but it's just low effort.
    Then quit? It's not a big deal if you or anyone else stops playing, you know. There are other games out there if you want to keep playing something.
    Hi

Raid DPS balance is okay, if not great by spec (top about +10% from the mean, bottom about -10% in mythic CN) and better by class (about +-5% from the mean).

M+ balance isn't great, but it's no worse for tanks than previously. For healers it's pretty bad. Overall the biggest issue is that DHs are so in demand that they're way up there as both tanks and melee DPS. Other hybrids show reduced demand for their DPS specs because they're pulled into the other roles but, again, this is hardly new.

Not sure what rated PvP you're talking about. RBGs, I assume - and they've been a mess for years and years. Arena certainly isn't just boomies and (MM) Hunters, strong through they are.
    Last edited by Kalisandra; 2021-01-22 at 10:37 AM.

but thats what always happens, ppl hear / read that Class A is 0.1% better in the absolute highend key pushing (or mythic raiding) than B and suddenly they only want A and will decline B. I wouldn't draw much conclusions about viability of other tank specs based on that. Its just players being silly and focussing so much on the 0.1% meta comps.

Sure maybe a DK or warrior might not be considered good for a 24 key or something in that range by the best players in WoW, but they are perfectly fine equipped to clear 15's etc for weekly vaults and all M+ related achievements.

Not saying that balancing can't be better, but a lot of this is also on the community, that often looks at 'balance' in a wrong way.

Your post illustrates why you aren't understanding what is happening, which is fine since a lot of people get it confused. Secondly, you went out of your way to complain about what they are doing but provided zero evidence of what needs fixed.

Most of what you and other players want fixed are balancing/tuning which isn't done in a hotfix. Major issues are done in intervals and/or next patch. Hotfixes are fixes to things that are present in the game that can be fixed quickly. Some of the issues they haven't fixed are issues that are either A) not easy to fix B) still trying to figure out the best resolution to it C) trying to be able to replicate it easily instead of relying on random events causing it.

Next this is the same process that happens every expansion and patch yet people want to act like it is new.

In short:

• Just because you think something is high priority doesn't mean Blizzard agrees.
    • Tuning / Balancing isn't something a hotfix is made for. Yes it can be done, but it's not the goal behind them.
    • Bugs that need to be hotfixed have to be replicated, a fix designed and the fix tested to ensure it does what they want. Any of these steps can always cause a halt

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    Then quit? It's not a big deal if you or anyone else stops playing, you know. There are other games out there if you want to keep playing something.
    I still play Classic. I quit retail like a month ago. I'm not an addict, you don't need to give me the patron treatment as if I never contemplated playing a different game before lmao. Just about every game out now is better than Shadowlands.