Page 1 of 10
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    How do I make tanks stop pulling so I can drink?

    9 out of 10 tanks that I come across in M+ seem to be blind and illiterate, because I've got a WeakAura that automatically sends a message to the party when I drop below 30% mana, and even with that, tanks ignore it and continue to go off chainpulling when I'm at 10% and drinking. And with how close together most trash packs are, I have barely any time to drink. I end up spending the entire dungeon below 40% mana because tanks just chainpull nonstop.

    No, I can't "drink while the tank pulls" because they often just start taking loads of damage as soon as they engage mobs. Even trying to drink after every pull, I'm running up and just barely saving the tank from death as I struggle to spam heal them, which wastes even more mana.

    Should I just let them die if they won't let me drink? That's likely the only way I'm gonna get their attention if multiple party chat messages aren't doing anything.


    Found out that the problem is mostly shitty tanks not playing correctly. In lower keys (2-4) tanks would just get smashed by every trash pack, but in higher keys (5-8) they seem to take way less damage. No seriously, after doing a bunch of +7 and +8s, I did a +4 just to test out a new legendary and talent setup, and it was WAY harder to heal. I was having to spam the fuck out of the tank just to keep him above 50% on most pulls. On a +4. At 195 ilvl.
    Last edited by anon5123; 2021-01-31 at 07:28 PM.

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Orcboi NatePsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    VIC, Australia
    Posts
    5,191
    Just sit when you need to, force your need to get mana onto him and if he pulls while you do, just keep drinking until you're topped back up and if he dies, he dies, his own fault for not having basic tank awareness.

  4. #4
    Just drink man.

    Tanks can usually survive a while on their own

  5. #5
    "WoW is better with friends."

  6. #6
    Usually saying something along the lines of "if you keep pulling when I need mana, im going to let you die while I finish drinking" works. If they want to ignore that and then keeping pulling, its their own fault. The rest of the group won't get mad if the tank just straight up disregards what you say to them.

  7. #7
    Obligatory default advice: Don't PUG M+.

    But many people ignore that at their own peril, so if you insist:

    Don't ask permission. My healer friend just says. "I am going to drink now/after this pull."

    -If the tank can't see chat (a setting I keep at the ready for queued group content for any role but when I tank), he shouldn't be tanking.
    -If you're in a higher-than-heroic dungeon group with a language barrier between the tank and the rest of the group, what are you doing? (see "don't PUG M+")
    -If the tank sees it, comprehends it, and keeps going, the potential car wreck is on them. You disclaimed your drinking.

    Don't ask. The tank drives, but at the healer's pace, regardless of difficulty level, full stop.

  8. #8
    Elemental Lord clevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Other Side of Azeroth
    Posts
    8,889
    AS a resto druid sometimes, I sympathize, but you're also in M+ and therefore on a timer. Sitting down all the time just so you can top off mana to 100% would be annoying. So, judge what you really need to be at. I get the stress of only ever getting back to 60%....but the cumulative seconds you take to get back to 100% after each pull can be the difference between just timing it and missing the timer.

    Also, um... take mana pots.

    Oh and I likely don't need to say this to you but in case... watch overheating and don't worry about topping people up unless it's needed.
    Last edited by clevin; 2021-01-22 at 12:54 AM.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Should I just let them die if they won't let me drink? That's likely the only way I'm gonna get their attention if multiple party chat messages aren't doing anything.
    As you can see by the other replies, yes, that is the solution. Just like "you pull it, you tank it" works wonders for most DPS. Stop healing people that aren't using their brains and your life will be so much better.

  10. #10
    At high keys that's pretty normal. If you check videos tanks keep pulling while the whole party is at 20% hp and the healer is on low mana, they still manage to do the packs/boss

    I mean look at it this way: if they let you drink 10 times for 20 seconds in the instance, that doesn't sound much, but in reality that's 3min 20sec wasted time on a run where the last boss usually dies 1 or 2 min before the timer.

    Learn to sip whenever you can, even if it's a few sec, and start using consumables, potions.

    (obviously talking about 12+ keys, if you running lower keys you just ran into some tryhards)

    Edit: all those "just let them die" experts in the comments, they clearly never did anything above 2+, but if you want to take their advice that's a good way to stuck in low rio hell with no timed runs
    Last edited by Vilendor; 2021-01-22 at 01:01 AM.

  11. #11
    i suggest not healing them. if a tank doesn't learn that you need mana, then you will stop and get mana anyways. if you don't get mana, they die and if they don't let you get mana, they die. they either tend to learn or ragequit.

  12. #12
    "hey man to avoid us having a wipe or near wipe lets take it slow until we get used to the pace of me drinking and you pulling please"
    should work.
    Make sure if you still play your voice is heard if it matters to you, Mine wasn't.
    https://simplearmory.com/#/us/aman't...ectable/mounts
    BFA is another failure on Blizzard for leaving out information yet again despite promising communication with players while Azerite armor is an unfun system forced onto us to keep us grinding.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Vilendor View Post
    if they let you drink 10 times for 20 seconds in the instance
    20 seconds? It doesn't take 20 seconds to drink. Even 10 seconds of drinking will yield at least 60-70% mana.

    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    you're also in M+ and therefore on a timer. Sitting down all the time just so you can top off mana to 100% would be annoying.
    Nowhere did I say I wanted to "top off to 100%", so I'm not sure why you're basing your argument around that. Even having the tank stop for a measly 5 seconds to allow me to drink would be a godsend. As I said in my post, I'm spending almost the entire instance below 40% mana because tanks just keep chainpulling and chainpulling, and I barely get 3 seconds to drink after pulls, if I even drop combat long enough to use a drink.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mayia View Post
    "hey man to avoid us having a wipe or near wipe lets take it slow until we get used to the pace of me drinking and you pulling please"
    should work.
    My WeakAura says "Healer low on mana, drinking after this pull". It automatically posts that to party chat when I drop below 30% mana.

  14. #14
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Somewhere in the mountains, idk.
    Posts
    610
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    9 out of 10 tanks that I come across in M+ seem to be blind and illiterate, because I've got a WeakAura that automatically sends a message to the party when I drop below 30% mana, and even with that, tanks ignore it and continue to go off chainpulling when I'm at 10% and drinking. And with how close together most trash packs are, I have barely any time to drink. I end up spending the entire dungeon below 40% mana because tanks just chainpull nonstop.

    No, I can't "drink while the tank pulls" because they often just start taking loads of damage as soon as they engage mobs. Even trying to drink after every pull, I'm running up and just barely saving the tank from death as I struggle to spam heal them, which wastes even more mana.

    Should I just let them die if they won't let me drink? That's likely the only way I'm gonna get their attention if multiple party chat messages aren't doing anything.
    I've done more tanking m+ pugs than any other role this season, and my GF has healed most of those with me so I have a little insight from her. I can tell you that she sits many many times a dungeon for 10% mana here, 30% there, to stay at a safe level. Also, as a tank, there's a lot going on this season. Survivability is shit for everyone, kiting is necessary, there's a very good chance that I would have not noticed the same messages had you been in my group.

    Just drink when you can.
    Anything worth doing is worth over-doing. Moderation's for cowards.

  15. #15
    Try to position yourself in such a way that you can start drinking as soon as you're out of combat. When that happens, sit and drink immediately. If you're well positioned, your tank is running to the next mob to pull and cannot take damage for a few seconds yet while you drink. You probably won't top yourself off to full, but you'll get half or so mana back before they get below 80% health. Then you repeat this process. If you have a good tank they expect this and will know to pop cds while you're drinking.
    Last edited by des1235; 2021-01-22 at 01:10 AM.

  16. #16
    Mmmh, with Prideful I've found out not having to drink in dungeons much at all, only if a pull goes seriously wrong, lasts like 2 minutes and prideful procs instantly after that.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by des1235 View Post
    Try to position yourself in such a way that you can start drinking as soon as you're out of combat.
    Yeah, I'm probably going to have to do that: Just run ahead of the group towards the next trash pull, so that I can drink and be in range to heal as soon as the tank needs it.

    Quote Originally Posted by apustus View Post
    Mmmh, with Prideful I've found out not having to drink in dungeons much at all, only if a pull goes seriously wrong, lasts like 2 minutes and prideful procs instantly after that.
    Sadly, Blizzard decided that Mistweaver should be the only healer with severe mana issues, so there's not much I can do.

  18. #18
    If i tank i have healer on /focus bcs of that. As a healer you can macro a /y Drinking to /use food. Dunno

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Penduliar View Post
    If i tank i have healer on /focus bcs of that. As a healer you can macro a /y Drinking to /use food. Dunno
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    I've got a WeakAura that automatically sends a message to the party when I drop below 30% mana
    sneaky 10char

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    20 seconds? It doesn't take 20 seconds to drink. Even 10 seconds of drinking will yield at least 60-70% mana.
    .
    Way to ruin your own argument in the opening post.
    Then there is always 5 sec to drink back 30-40% of your mana between packs, and you are just doing it wrong

    Also nice cherry picking a number and ignoring everything else

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •