Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    9 out of 10 tanks that I come across in M+ seem to be blind and illiterate, because I've got a WeakAura that automatically sends a message to the party when I drop below 30% mana, and even with that, tanks ignore it and continue to go off chainpulling when I'm at 10% and drinking. And with how close together most trash packs are, I have barely any time to drink. I end up spending the entire dungeon below 40% mana because tanks just chainpull nonstop.

No, I can't "drink while the tank pulls" because they often just start taking loads of damage as soon as they engage mobs. Even trying to drink after every pull, I'm running up and just barely saving the tank from death as I struggle to spam heal them, which wastes even more mana.

Should I just let them die if they won't let me drink? That's likely the only way I'm gonna get their attention if multiple party chat messages aren't doing anything.
    Yes /10char
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    Being at 30% mana is enough for several pulls
    On what planet is 30% mana enough for a """several pulls""" on Mistweaver when your main heals cost 4-5% each? Enveloping Mist costs 3000 mana. That's 6% of my mana. And I usually have to keep that on the tank at all times or he'll start dropping. So I'm casting that every ~7 seconds or so, in addition to all my other casts (rem, vivify, etc), 30% mana is nowhere near enough for "several" pulls unless the tank is taking no damage / healing himself a ton.

Tanks get smacked in M+. I can't keep them up by idly soom'ing. Not to mention DPS inevitably taking tons of damage. I go through 20-30% mana in a single pull.

And of course, this week, M+ has the affix that spawns extra mobs when each mob dies, and that keeps me in combat longer; the tank runs off and pulls while one of those ghosts is still up keeping me in combat, and I can't drink.
    Last edited by anon5123; 2021-01-22 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    THis, precisely. But now OP will tell you that it's not their fault and you've misinterpreted them and why are 9/10 tanks shit!?. Of course if they continually have mana issues it might be them. But...
    You are absolutely right and more than sometimes the issue is the healer himself but this is a complete different topic. The question was “what should I do when I need to rec and tank ignores this?”.

Regardless how bad the op is, the answers are multiple and arguing whether the op has or not a bad mana management is ot (imho).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NatePsy View Post
    Just sit when you need to, force your need to get mana onto him and if he pulls while you do, just keep drinking until you're topped back up and if he dies, he dies, his own fault for not having basic tank awareness.
    if it is not his key, he will leave %90 of the time and everyone will blame the healer for being x or y.

as a side note, a healer doesn't need a full mana bar on every single pull. learn to position yourself before the combat (like, to the next direction) ends and then sit for drink right after the combat ends. this way, you show them that you mean business and look cool while doing it.
    war does not determine who is right, only who is left.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Throwme View Post
    As you can see by the other replies, yes, that is the solution. Just like "you pull it, you tank it" works wonders for most DPS. Stop healing people that aren't using their brains and your life will be so much better.
    To build on this. Since you're pugging, be ready to deflect the inevitable blame stacking on you due to the tanks ummm "strategy".

Then again, as a healer in pugs, I bet you're already used to deflecting blame.

All this of course, is quite obviously with the assumption that you're already using mana pots and sipping whenever possible. Some knuckleheads in here are assuming those giving you the "let them die" advice aren't also assuming this which is funny to me.

Pots and sipping is obvious and thus should be assumed with any bit of advice lol

Quote Originally Posted by Vilendor View Post
    ~snip~
    Edit: all those "just let them die" experts in the comments, they clearly never did anything above 2+, but if you want to take their advice that's a good way to stuck in low rio hell with no timed runs
    case in point ^ lol
    Last edited by AcidicSyn; 2021-01-22 at 05:09 PM.
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

If you have to be <10 yards from tank at all times or you suffer separation anxiety it' all on you tbh.

If mob packs are lined up and I see you sitting I start moving because

A) I can survive 10 seconds on my own
    B) we timing this bitch.

What really makes me nervous is when the healer stands up instead of keep drinking just to take 10 steps and then idling near me for the pull, that was your drinking pause and you wasted it fool

On what planet is 30% mana enough for a """several pulls""" on Mistweaver when your main heals cost 4-5% each? Tanks get smacked in M+. I can't keep them up by idly soom'ing. Not to mention DPS inevitably taking tons of damage. I go through 20-30% mana in a single pull.
    Can you remind me again at which level you run M+?

I’m 197 with my resto shaman, I run the 4-6 bracket and unless the group is really terrible I don’t have to rec much. Yesterday I ran a MoTS 6 and I only had to rec twice, one waiting for the dialog after second boss (so no time wasted) and one 5 seconds before the last boss to have 50% mana just in case.

But for my class 30% is usually fine enough even for a bossfight (if it’s not a Tyr week, and I usually have mana totem available).
    Last edited by chiddie; 2021-01-22 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chiddie View Post

I’m 197 with my resto shaman, I run the 4-6 bracket and unless the group is really terrible I don’t have to rec much.
    resto shaman
    Mistweavers have huge mana issues compared to other healers.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omedon View Post
    Obligatory default advice: Don't PUG M+.

But many people ignore that at their own peril, so if you insist:

Don't ask permission. My healer friend just says. "I am going to drink now/after this pull."

-If the tank can't see chat (a setting I keep at the ready for queued group content for any role but when I tank), he shouldn't be tanking.
    -If you're in a higher-than-heroic dungeon group with a language barrier between the tank and the rest of the group, what are you doing? (see "don't PUG M+")
    -If the tank sees it, comprehends it, and keeps going, the potential car wreck is on them. You disclaimed your drinking.

Don't ask. The tank drives, but at the healer's pace, regardless of difficulty level, full stop.
    This guy gets it.

Mistweavers have huge mana issues compared to other healers.
    Can’t you lower your keys a little without the possible rewards being totally useless? Or it’s an issue that goes beyond the key level?

10+ Year Old Account
    You are absolutely right and more than sometimes the issue is the healer himself but this is a complete different topic. The question was “what should I do when I need to rec and tank ignores this?”.

Regardless how bad the op is, the answers are multiple and arguing whether the op has or not a bad mana management is ot (imho).
    But 'what should I do' should also, in my view, incorporate the question "why isn't what I'm doing now working" and I'd bet that it's not working because tank see a party message at 30% and think "he's fine, 30% is OK" and keeps pulling.

The other thing a 30% alert will do it go off a LOT unless you start from 100% all the time. If an alert is going off ever 2nd or 3rd pull, most people will just tune it out and that's what I think is happening if OP is really seeing this from most groups. I mean, yes, there are asshole tanks, but not 9/10 of them.

So, what I'd do is this:

1) Look at how I'm healing. Am I topping people up when they would be fine at 70%? Overhealing a LOT (some is unavoidable of course)? etc.
    2) Am I sneaking drinks here and there when I can, even for a few seconds?
    3) Am I moving ahead of the group as some above have suggested so I get those seconds in the first place?
    4) Have I sent a tell to the tank talking about mana breaks before we start?
    5) Maybe I adjust the mana alert to go off at 10% or something. If you don't have enough mana to heal a standard pull, then you want to alert them.

Oh and am I using pots where I should, etc? Maybe Int food, etc?

All of this assumes a healer who's geared enough for the key and who's properly chosen their stats, talents, etc.

Now, if OP is nailing all of this and a tank pulls at 5-10% mana or never lets combat drop so they can't drink? That's an asshole tank and then you let them die and tell them why.
    Last edited by clevin; 2021-01-22 at 06:39 PM.

I’m 197 with my resto shaman, I run the 4-6 bracket and unless the group is really terrible I don’t have to rec much. Yesterday I ran a MoTS 6 and I only had to rec twice, one waiting for the dialog after second boss (so no time wasted) and one 5 seconds before the last boss to have 50% mana just in case.

But for my class 30% is usually fine enough even for a bossfight (if it’s not a Tyr week, and I usually have mana totem available).
    I'm running +5s with a 170 resto shaman and I do feel the need to drink every now and then. Specially after every boss

At ilvl 197 you should be doing +8/9/10

Quote Originally Posted by De Maffe View Post
    I hate having to read this thread.

I'm a tank that has his healer on focus, just so I can see their mana bar.

Some healers don't even carry any drinks on them, did you know that?

Anyway, some healers will drink before a boss if they're not even 20% mana.

Some healers, I ask "need MB?" in the same scenario, and they're like "no, I'm good".

Mean while the DPS is saying "ffs pull".

You know what fuck it.

I don't need DPS telling me I'm too slow, and healer telling me I'm too fast.

If you are a healer and you want to drink you can type "I need a mana break".

If the tank isn't stopping, they're not listening, whisper them "I need a mana break".

If he still isn't stopping, then it's on him!

It's basically DPS want to go fast, Healer want to go slower, both blame tank...
    If he still isn't stopping, he's from QT, azralon, or rag and doesn't understand what you're typing lol. At least in my experience

From my experience, Hotkey the drink and get mana pots.
    I use Shadowmeld midcombat sometimes to catch my mana back up again, but that's only really a option for Night elf healers.

Most pug tanks feel like they don't have time to wait, and would rather the DPS die a few times thanks to low healer mana, than to just wait a few seconds for your mana to be at a manageable level.

It's teaching me a lot though about healing when it's needed VS healing just to heal, as a way to save mana.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabby
    I'm Commander Crabby, and this is my favorite forum on the website.

9 out of 10 tanks that I come across in M+ seem to be blind and illiterate, because I've got a WeakAura that automatically sends a message to the party when I drop below 30% mana, and even with that, tanks ignore it and continue to go off chainpulling when I'm at 10% and drinking. And with how close together most trash packs are, I have barely any time to drink. I end up spending the entire dungeon below 40% mana because tanks just chainpull nonstop.

No, I can't "drink while the tank pulls" because they often just start taking loads of damage as soon as they engage mobs. Even trying to drink after every pull, I'm running up and just barely saving the tank from death as I struggle to spam heal them, which wastes even more mana.

Should I just let them die if they won't let me drink? That's likely the only way I'm gonna get their attention if multiple party chat messages aren't doing anything.
    I try to watch healers I'm not familiar with, but if I've run with you before (guildies) I expect you to tell me you need mana.

Quote Originally Posted by Omedon View Post
    Obligatory default advice: Don't PUG M+.

But many people ignore that at their own peril, so if you insist:

Don't ask permission. My healer friend just says. "I am going to drink now/after this pull."

-If the tank can't see chat (a setting I keep at the ready for queued group content for any role but when I tank), he shouldn't be tanking.
    -If you're in a higher-than-heroic dungeon group with a language barrier between the tank and the rest of the group, what are you doing? (see "don't PUG M+")
    -If the tank sees it, comprehends it, and keeps going, the potential car wreck is on them. You disclaimed your drinking.

Don't ask. The tank drives, but at the healer's pace, regardless of difficulty level, full stop.
    Not pugging M+ often means the same thing as not doing M+. It's not a realistic thing for most people.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

So am I misunderstanding this post? From the way it reads, you go low on mana, tank keeps pulling, you get frustrated because you don’t get your mana topped, mobs die, your team lives, this keeps happening, dungeon is successfully cleared, you are upset because...why? You’re just upset you don’t get to top your mana and take your time? The way this reads I don’t really get why you’re upset other than you joined a timed event and you’re not allowed to slow it down.

3+ Year Old Account
    Damn, no one here knows the struggles of mana with Mistweaver.

OP You will get much better advice at Monk Discord.

Cause of Mana issues I switch to a Fist weaving build with Atotm legendary.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Not pugging M+ often means the same thing as not doing M+. It's not a realistic thing for most people.
    Well it’s... not a mode meant for most people. It’s an increasingly optional upper difficulty level.
    Last edited by Omedon; 2021-01-22 at 07:04 PM.

I understand Op problem.
    There is severe disparity of mana consumption between healers. Playing both Disc and Holy priest, the second one is mana hungry.
    Breaking the M+10 barrier with pride buff every 20% was a god send. I don't know how I will manage next season without this buff.
    Another very heavy affixe is Spiteful. As long as one player is targeted by Shade, the healer is still in combat. The group can't really wait for 5 more seconds before next pack.
    last starw was blizzard decision to nerf mana regen at start and ramp it. It seriously impeded the "run in advance, sit for 3sec and go".