Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Wow this thread turned sour fast. Although that may have been the idea all along

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    But 'what should I do' should also, in my view, incorporate the question "why isn't what I'm doing now working" and I'd bet that it's not working because tank see a party message at 30% and think "he's fine, 30% is OK" and keeps pulling.

The other thing a 30% alert will do it go off a LOT unless you start from 100% all the time. If an alert is going off ever 2nd or 3rd pull, most people will just tune it out and that's what I think is happening if OP is really seeing this from most groups. I mean, yes, there are asshole tanks, but not 9/10 of them.

So, what I'd do is this:

1) Look at how I'm healing. Am I topping people up when they would be fine at 70%? Overhealing a LOT (some is unavoidable of course)? etc.
    2) Am I sneaking drinks here and there when I can, even for a few seconds?
    3) Am I moving ahead of the group as some above have suggested so I get those seconds in the first place?
    4) Have I sent a tell to the tank talking about mana breaks before we start?
    5) Maybe I adjust the mana alert to go off at 10% or something. If you don't have enough mana to heal a standard pull, then you want to alert them.

Oh and am I using pots where I should, etc? Maybe Int food, etc?

All of this assumes a healer who's geared enough for the key and who's properly chosen their stats, talents, etc.

Now, if OP is nailing all of this and a tank pulls at 5-10% mana or never lets combat drop so they can't drink? That's an asshole tank and then you let them die and tell them why.
    They are all good suggestions but keep in mind that if I understood well MW monks have HUGE mana issues, thus probably if for me as resto shaman being around 30% is just fine, probably for a MW Monk is a total disaster.

If this is the case, as it seem, lowering the threshold alert is not an option for him.

Also, as a side note, I would like to point out that not food nor mana potions come for free. Basing from my past exp experience, anything below 10-11 should be easily doable at least without potions.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chiddie View Post
    They are all good suggestions but keep in mind that if I understood well MW monks have HUGE mana issues, thus probably if for me as resto shaman being around 30% is just fine, probably for a MW Monk is a total disaster.

If this is the case, as it seem, lowering the threshold alert is not an option for him.

Also, as a side note, I would like to point out that not food nor mana potions come for free. Basing from my past exp experience, anything below 10-11 should be easily doable at least without potions.
    OP needs to post what style of healing he is doing currently fist weaving and using Mana Tea are the best ways to avoid the Mana issues of Monk.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarohk View Post
    I'm running +5s with a 170 resto shaman and I do feel the need to drink every now and then. Specially after every boss

At ilvl 197 you should be doing +8/9/10
    I’m still in the learning dungeons phase and I prefere to be a little more confident by doing slightly sub par levels.

If I manage to get 2-3 ilvl more this week, starting from next I will probably try moving to the 7-9 bracket (where I will stay for quite a while).

Also, if you are regularly doing +5 with a 170 toon either you do guild runs or your battle group must really starve with healers, they are starting to often require 200 even for +6...

10+ Year Old Account

Yeah if 30% really is critically low, then talk to the tank at the start. Some tanks might not realize that, look at the alert, see 30% and think 'eh, this guy's just being silly'.

The food/pots cost issue is really not an issue - you can do a calling and get grays that sell for around 2k gold which buys a lot of pots and food is, what, 10g for a stack of 20?

Quote Originally Posted by Omedon View Post
    Well it’s... not a mode meant for most people. It’s an increasingly optional upper difficulty level.
    Most people who do M+ pug a lot, that includes most people doing higher keys 15+. If you have a regular consistent group that you can always do M+ with you're probably not in the majority, even if you're in a raiding guild.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by TigTone View Post
    OP needs to post what style of healing he is doing currently fist weaving and using Mana Tea are the best ways to avoid the Mana issues of Monk.
    I don’t know MW well enough to say if he’s doing right or wrong.

I have one and I tried using it in BfA but his healing mechanics did just not suit my playstyle so I switched to resto shaman 1 year and a half ago.

But again, this is another topic. Thing is that if he needs to rec, he should be allowed to. If this happens at every pull for every dungeon, probably he needs to lower the keys he does or he’s doing something terribly wrong in his rotation.

5+ Year Old Account
    I don’t know MW well enough to say if he’s doing right or wrong.

I have one and I tried using it in BfA but his healing mechanics did just not suit my playstyle so I switched to resto shaman 1 year and a half ago.

But again, this is another topic. Thing is that if he needs to rec, he should be allowed to. If this happens at every pull for every dungeon, probably he needs to lower the keys he does or he’s doing something terribly wrong in his rotation.
    I didn’t quote as a means to call you out specifically, Apologies for that, but as an attempt to keep the thread going in a direction that can better help OP.

Just communicate with the tank, more forcibly if he ignores you, and then after that point threaten to leave, and then do leave. I've been in groups where tanks chain pulled too much but that's just tanks being as brainless as they usually are. If you tell them to stop they usually listen.

The better question would be: How in god's name do you run oom as a healer with Prideful nowadays?

If you can't sustain your mana between Pridefuls you're doing something seriously wrong. Either that or you're running with absolute monkeys, in which case you'll never teach them anything.
    The alternative would of course be that you're running <+10 dungeons without Prideful - in which case, again, you're probably playing with absolute monkeys... because that's the only kind of player you'll encounter down there. Monkeys and people who can't play their character properly.

If you're indeed running +10s or higher it should be nigh impossible to run oom these days. Drinking for like 5 seconds between pulls is plenty, fuck, just toss in the odd mana pot every now and then, I'm sure you'll be able to find the required 30g somewhere.

If you're only ever starting to drink after you've slowly drained down to 0% mana over 5 pulls and then expect the whole party to just casually wait 30 seconds it's your fault.
    Do a pull, drop to 60% mana or whatever, drink a couple seconds till you're at 80%-90% again, repeat until you hit the Prideful dude with 30%, blow all your load, get back to full again.

If you're doing that you should absolutely not run oom unless you or your team are doing ridiculous mistakes on every pull. Again, no WA in this world will keep people like that from pulling when they're already too oblivious to not stand in literally everything. And if your team is indeed that oblivious, let them die or leave as you will not be able to change anything about that.

After they put the key in post that when you drink they need to not pull or you will let them die then they are locked in and can't kick you for such a silly reason

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    9 out of 10 tanks that I come across in M+ seem to be blind and illiterate, because I've got a WeakAura that automatically sends a message to the party when I drop below 30% mana, and even with that, tanks ignore it and continue to go off chainpulling when I'm at 10% and drinking. And with how close together most trash packs are, I have barely any time to drink. I end up spending the entire dungeon below 40% mana because tanks just chainpull nonstop.

No, I can't "drink while the tank pulls" because they often just start taking loads of damage as soon as they engage mobs. Even trying to drink after every pull, I'm running up and just barely saving the tank from death as I struggle to spam heal them, which wastes even more mana.

Should I just let them die if they won't let me drink? That's likely the only way I'm gonna get their attention if multiple party chat messages aren't doing anything.
    Just checking - does anyone actually die in this story? The way it reads, you have enough mana (albeit only just) to keep everyone up.

So because you managed to keep everyone up, you want to let them die?

XD i honestly dont know why blizzard hasnt changed mana/hp generation outside of combat to make things smoother, but to answer the question, just keep drinking and watch them die, theyll learn that they get no heals if you gots no mana.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by klogaroth View Post
    Just checking - does anyone actually die in this story? The way it reads, you have enough mana (albeit only just) to keep everyone up.

So because you managed to keep everyone up, you want to let them die?
    Why play the game stressed ? Defeats the purpose of playing a game.

But many solutions have been posted. We will see if OP follows any of them or updates us on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gasparde View Post
    The better question would be: How in god's name do you run oom as a healer with Prideful nowadays?

If you can't sustain your mana between Pridefuls you're doing something seriously wrong. Either that or you're running with absolute monkeys, in which case you'll never teach them anything.
    The alternative would of course be that you're running <+10 dungeons without Prideful - in which case, again, you're probably playing with absolute monkeys... because that's the only kind of player you'll encounter down there. Monkeys and people who can't play their character properly.

If you're indeed running +10s or higher it should be nigh impossible to run oom these days. Drinking for like 5 seconds between pulls is plenty, fuck, just toss in the odd mana pot every now and then, I'm sure you'll be able to find the required 30g somewhere.

If you're only ever starting to drink after you've slowly drained down to 0% mana over 5 pulls and then expect the whole party to just casually wait 30 seconds it's your fault.
    Do a pull, drop to 60% mana or whatever, drink a couple seconds till you're at 80%-90% again, repeat until you hit the Prideful dude with 30%, blow all your load, get back to full again.

If you're doing that you should absolutely not run oom unless you or your team are doing ridiculous mistakes on every pull. Again, no WA in this world will keep people like that from pulling when they're already too oblivious to not stand in literally everything. And if your team is indeed that oblivious, let them die or leave as you will not be able to change anything about that.
    He said he’s running 5-6.

I am too as a resto shaman and I can assure you that every dungeon is thrilling because it’s a complete bet: it can go either really smooth or terribly wrong all of a sudden.

Probably the pusher players with more time to play have already moved to the 10+ bracket where mana seems to be less of an issue due to Prideful and ppl in mid-low bracket are now desperately trying to reach the upper classes asap without the right experience.

Try being vocal, stop being a shy quiet anti social person. The tank is busy managing pulls and looking at run guides, the dps are watching netflix, not everyone is just sitting there starring at your mana bar. It's your job to let him know, it's easy "I need a couple seconds to drink after next pull" 90% of tanks after reading that will let you drink because they know if you don't drink they'll die. The other 10% are tanks who don't speak english, don't read chat, don't care, or will blame you despite that so maybe 1 in every 10 runs you'll encounter an ass hat tank So the other 9 times be vocal.
    Or even let the tank know before the key goes in, "Make sure you read chat for my call outs for when I need mana please" Communication is key in every aspect of this game. Just sitting there going "Aurhg he won't let me drink" in your head, isn't going to do anything.

If you don't say anything, and he keeps pulling and the group wipes from no heals due to lack of mana that's 100% your fault for not speaking up and letting them know.Your job is to heal, if you can't heal because of mana it's your job to let the group know.
    Last edited by OokOok; 2021-01-22 at 08:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Give them a warning about needing to drink, then drink.

If they go and die, that counts for DPS as well, then it is their own fault.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Probably the pusher players with more time to play have already moved to the 10+ bracket where mana seems to be less of an issue due to Prideful and ppl in mid-low bracket are now desperately trying to reach the upper classes asap without the right experience.
    You do simply not find competent players in low level keys. It's always been like that.

Low level keys are filled with bad players, new players, rerollers who want to learn a new role, people who wanna start practicing how to use keybinds, people who don't wanna have to bother with interrupting because it's just not their style of gameplay, people who wanna get boosted... and more bad players. Oh, and toxic bad players - lots of those.

Those that actually know how to play, those that consider their healer's mana and their group's CDs are done with that bracket within a day. Those that remain down there don't care about this shit. And they never will. Because the moment they'd start to care they'd immediately be propelled into +10 territory. Trying to teach those people is a waste of time because they're either unwilling or unable to. Making a WA that sends them 10 lines of spam instead of 1 is not gonna make them not ignore their chat. Letting them die is not gonna make them reconsider their decisions, it's gonna make them play even worse out of spite... or leave.

They must learn the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    If you have a regular consistent group that you can always do M+ with you're probably not in the majority,
    ... But you would then be in the target audience for remotely ambitious M+.