Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    It exists, because they were being successfully sued for the shit other people were posting. If it's removed, then the internet ceases to exist in its current form. We already know what happens if it is removed, because we have legal precedent before it existed.

You and I wouldn't be having this conversation.
    That would be, because they would lose protection as publishers of anonymous content. This post focuses on the outcome, of what I am describing.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    That would be, because they would lose protection as publishers of anonymous content. This post focuses on the outcome, of what I am describing.
    No, they would be liable for the content of that anonymous (and not anonymous) speech of others.

I could literally create an anonymous account on these forums, spread defamatory lies, even about myself... and then sue the site.

No wonder you've been horribly active after a 4 year hiatus. So @Sole-Warrior does your friend know what you've been posting? And would she even want her account back after all that crap you've said?

None of them abused any power, nor is freedom of speech touched anywhere here.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    No wonder you've been horribly active after a 4 year hiatus. So @Sole-Warrior does your friend know what you've been posting? And would she even want her account back after all that crap you've said?
    Is Sole Warrior a chick, originally?

10+ Year Old Account
    No, they would be liable for the content of that anonymous (and not anonymous) speech of others.
    I’m sorry... what’s the distinction?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

10+ Year Old Account
    Freedom of speech is not absolute. The line between freedom and utility needs to be drawn somewhere. So where do we draw that line? It's not as easy as just saying 'when it leads to harm' when you have large communities that thrive on objective falsities that lead to the deaths of innocent people (anti-vaxxers, anti maskers, for example). What do you do in these scenarios? Just let it happen?

I personally think that regulation should be imposed, but made more strict, if anything. People who distribute false information that has the potential to endanger lives should be fined and then jailed for serious or repeated offenses.

The issue is the wording, it's somewhat ambiguous, I wanted to be more clear.

A libertarian calling for regulation?
    Something wrong with this picture. But then there's a dozen different interpretations of libertarianism..so..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    A libertarian calling for regulation?
    Something wrong with this picture. But then there's a dozen different interpretations of libertarianism..so..
    Yeah, literally...

Is Sole Warrior a chick, originally?
    Click Sole-Warrior, then click View Profile, then enjoy.

Click Sole-Warrior, then click View Profile, then enjoy.
    The dude just doxxed himself, and admitted it's a borrowed account. (Not that I think it's his real name)

Oh, and thanks for that.
    Last edited by Machismo; 2021-01-22 at 02:49 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account
    The OPs argument fails because they don't understand Freedom of Speech at a fundamental Jr. High grade level. Freedom of Speech is not unlimited. Read that again. It is not unlimited. It *does not* include inciting violence. So claiming that social media have violated freedom of speech simply shows that you misunderstand the limitations of it. That has been the case for well over 100 years since long before computers, much less social media applications. This debate already happened when the "yelling fire in a loaded theater" issue was debated by our forefathers in the 1800's. That's when it was determined that things like inciting violence and riots are excluded from freedom of speech.

The problem is that far too many people clearly misunderstand the Freedom of Speech and fail to realize that limitation. So whether you are in Facebook or standing on a street corner this is an example of how Freedom of Speech actually is a written a law in the US:

Covered by Freedom of Speech: The New York Yankees baseball team sucks.

NOT covered by Freedom of Speech: The New York Yankees shortstop (insert name) is a pedophile and we should all go to Yankees stadium and murder him.

I realize the difference is subtle lol. I'm done with this moral equivalency that uses 2nd grade logic to make radical conservative arguments more palatable. I realize FOX and especially Hannity and company have done it all day long for the past 4 years and it's literally brainwashed some folks, but it's a seriously tired act.

Angry manlet.

I’m shocked.

5+ Year Old Account
    This is similarly closed.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."