Page 1 of 4
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Should we regulate social media like Public Utilities?

    Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, and Reddit all abused their power to insane degrees. There is virtually no freedom of speech in these companies. If one does not adhere to their arbitrary terms of service, one could find themselves excommunicated from over 90% of communities on the internet. We see bias enforcement against conservative views.

    Time and time again, we see conservative voices being silenced. I do not see a compelling reason to silence QAnon. The widespread censor of this conspiracy theory represents an acute assault on American's freedom of expression. I'm not interested in debating about the merits of their theories. But they are entitled to not just discuss their ideas, but are entitled a platform like everyone else to do so. We need to start thinking of social media services not as private homes, but as town squares.

    These social media giants are robbing Americans of the market place of ideas. Reddit banned r/gendercritical and r/coontown. While I admit there is really nothing of value in those subreddits, they have the right to express their ideas. Twitter took down Trump's twitter account. Conservative youtubers are getting demonetized. The American people have a right to watch those subreddits, tweets and posts and make up their minds. We do not need to be protected from bad ideas. Almost everyone is capable of weeding out bad ideas.

    When such a huge proportion of the general public uses social media, censorship on behalf of bit tech really does become a major problem. It's time we rein in these companies and start restricting who they are allowed to ban or not.

    I want freedom from the tyranny of government, and I want freedom from the tyranny of liberal corporations.

    I STRONGLY encourage everyone to read the article. Very compelling arguments from a moderate point of view. Townhall is a centrist publication so it's worth checking out. https://townhall.com/columnists/bets...ities-n2583042

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Sole-Warrior View Post
    I want freedom from the tyranny of government.
    What you are asking for is the exact opposite of that.

    You are asking for government to go into private businesses and say "we make the rules now"

  3. #3
    Regulate companies that impact the environment so that future generations have a habitable planet? Nah, fuck that.

    Regulation social media so that we can keep calling for the murder of groups of people we don't think have the right to exist? Sign me up!


    I have to imagine that, since every single post you make is just you regurgitating these same tired talking points, you're just trying to get banned here too so that you can prove to yourself that the evil leftists are out to get you.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Regulate companies that impact the environment so that future generations have a habitable planet? Nah, fuck that.

    Regulation social media so that we can keep calling for the murder of groups of people we don't think have the right to exist? Sign me up!


    I have to imagine that, since every single post you make is just you regurgitating these same tired talking points, you're just trying to get banned here too so that you can prove to yourself that the evil leftists are out to get you.
    A very reductionist point of view. Over regulations HARM the economy which leads to more poverty and less wealth to go around. This is my main issue with these "greens". They fail to understand the reason why we use fossil fuels is because of reliability and affordability. Trying to pass all sorts of asinine legislation like carbon taxes only will reduce the standard of living for everyone. Instead, the solution which is to go fission nuclear has been available as a reliable baseline source of energy to compliment wind and solar.

    Freedom of speech includes the most vile despicable types of speech. If we don't protect their rights, we leave ourselves open to being censored.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    What you are asking for is the exact opposite of that.

    You are asking for government to go into private businesses and say "we make the rules now"
    Because these businesses have abused their power to license oppositional opinion.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Sole-Warrior View Post

    Freedom of speech includes the most vile despicable types of speech. If we don't protect their rights, we leave ourselves open to being censored.
    Their rights are being protected. You see anyone getting arrested?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Sole-Warrior View Post
    Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, and Reddit all abused their power to insane degrees. There is virtually no freedom of speech in these companies. If one does not adhere to their arbitrary terms of service, one could find themselves excommunicated from over 90% of communities on the internet. We see bias enforcement against conservative views.

    Time and time again, we see conservative voices being silenced. I do not see a compelling reason to silence QAnon. The widespread censor of this conspiracy theory represents an acute assault on American's freedom of expression. I'm not interested in debating about the merits of their theories. But they are entitled to not just discuss their ideas, but are entitled a platform like everyone else to do so. We need to start thinking of social media services not as private homes, but as town squares.

    These social media giants are robbing Americans of the market place of ideas. Reddit banned r/gendercritical and r/coontown. While I admit there is really nothing of value in those subreddits, they have the right to express their ideas. Twitter took down Trump's twitter account. Conservative youtubers are getting demonetized. The American people have a right to watch those subreddits, tweets and posts and make up their minds. We do not need to be protected from bad ideas. Almost everyone is capable of weeding out bad ideas.

    When such a huge proportion of the general public uses social media, censorship on behalf of bit tech really does become a major problem. It's time we rein in these companies and start restricting who they are allowed to ban or not.

    I want freedom from the tyranny of government, and I want freedom from the tyranny of liberal corporations.

    I STRONGLY encourage everyone to read the article. Very compelling arguments from a moderate point of view. Townhall is a centrist publication so it's worth checking out. https://townhall.com/columnists/bets...ities-n2583042
    Depends. If you are going to seize someone else's property, what is to stop you from doing it to something else. And FOR THE MILLIONTH FUCKING TIME IN THE LAST 3 FUCKING DAYS. You don't get freedom of speech on someone else's fucking platform. It isn't arbitrary, you signed it when you signed up to use the service, if you don't like their ToS, DELETE YOUR FUCKING ACCOUNT. Right now, MMO-C could permaban you for anything, and you can't say fucking shit.

    You say time and time again, you see conservative voices banned from these services, and they are usually banned for good fucking reason. THEY BROKE THE TERMS OF SERVICE THEY FUCKING SIGNED.

    You don't see a compelling reason to ban QAnon? They literally helped plan the capitol insurrection, threatening to kill people like Pence because he wouldn't install Trump as their fucking emperor. You don't get freedom of expression when you are threatening to fucking kill people.

    And Reddit banned those subreddits because they are HIGHLY FUCKING RACIST and highly fucking transphobic. Trump broke Twitter's terms of service about a million times over, the incitement of violence on their platform was the final fucking straw.

    And your fucking source? Townhall? Fucking seriously? An opinion piece at that from a moron? Townhall isn't centrist, in fact they are a questionable source at best, on the far right side of the spectrum. https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/townhall/

    If you consider them to be fucking "centrist", you have some seriously questionable sources that you use.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Their rights are being protected. You see anyone getting arrested?
    Than explain why I've been permanently banned of twitter. Explain why soooooooooooooo many subreddits are being banned even though nothing posted there was a felony offense. There appears to be a widespread crackdown on right wing views. Yes, the focus appears to be against the extreme right, but they have rights too.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Sole-Warrior View Post
    Because these businesses have abused their power to license oppositional opinion.
    Show me where in the first amendment it says that Newspapers have to publish your speech.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Show me where in the first amendment it says that Newspapers have to publish your speech.
    Social media is not newspapers dude, it's a town hall.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Sole-Warrior View Post
    Than explain why I've been permanently banned of twitter. Explain why soooooooooooooo many subreddits are being banned even though nothing posted there was a felony offense. There appears to be a widespread crackdown on right wing views. Yes, the focus appears to be against the extreme right, but they have rights too.
    Your rights and their rights aren't being violated.

    You don't have a right to a twitter account.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Sole-Warrior View Post
    Than explain why I've been permanently banned of twitter. Explain why soooooooooooooo many subreddits are being banned even though nothing posted there was a felony offense. There appears to be a widespread crackdown on right wing views. Yes, the focus appears to be against the extreme right, but they have rights too.
    Because you violated the TOS which you agreed to when making an account. Just like you keep breaking the rules here on MMO Champion. Learn to follow the rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sole-Warrior View Post
    Social media is not newspapers dude, it's a town hall.

    A town hall is a government building, not a privately owned business.

  12. #12
    The Lightbringer GreenGoldSharpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    3,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Sole-Warrior View Post
    Than explain why I've been permanently banned of twitter. Explain why soooooooooooooo many subreddits are being banned even though nothing posted there was a felony offense. There appears to be a widespread crackdown on right wing views. Yes, the focus appears to be against the extreme right, but they have rights too.
    Probably because you behaved like a fucking cunt and they determined you were hurting their bottom line. Doesn't seem all that complicated to me.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Sole-Warrior View Post
    Social media is not newspapers dude, it's a town hall.
    It really isn't.

    And even if it were...you can get thrown out of town hall if you are being disruptive.
    Last edited by Egomaniac; 2021-01-22 at 07:34 AM.

  14. #14
    The Lightbringer GreenGoldSharpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    3,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    You don't have a right to a twitter account.
    The fact that the right is going to die on the hill of their banned twitter accounts just goes to show you that their activism was entirely virtue signaling. Meanwhile, Biden is making heads explode with EO after EO.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Sole-Warrior View Post
    Than explain why I've been permanently banned of twitter. Explain why soooooooooooooo many subreddits are being banned even though nothing posted there was a felony offense. There appears to be a widespread crackdown on right wing views. Yes, the focus appears to be against the extreme right, but they have rights too.
    BECAUSE YOU VIOLATED THE TERMS OF FUCKING SERVICE. You didn't break the fucking law, if you had, you would be UNDER FUCKING ARREST, AND banned, not just banned from those platforms. And you don't get rights on someone else's property.

    I dare you, go into a Wal-Mart, I am sure there is one within distance of you, start spouting off random bullshit, and they will ask you to leave, same thing, you violated their rules, they will kick you out. If you don't leave, then they will arrest you for trespassing.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Sole-Warrior View Post
    Social media is not newspapers dude, it's a town hall.
    Nope, it really isn't. There is nothing in the constitution that says you are guaranteed a soapbox/platform.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Sole-Warrior View Post
    -snip-
    And to let you in on a little fucking secret, just because you think Conservatives are the only ones being banned, you would be wrong. I have had like 4 accounts on Twitter banned. And I have been temp banned from Facebook for several 30 day stints for pissing off conservatives because I refuted them. I broke the ToS, and took the bans, well most of them anyway, because I broke their rules.

  16. #16
    Please learn what actual free speech is. The entire bill of rights is just what the government can and can't do, nothing in there about what private businesses do with the people on their own platform. Conservatives themselves have even argued for private businesses right to discriminate as they see fit for years prior.

    Furthermore, it's not a speech stops being free when said speech is well... you know, the whole fake crying "fire" in a crowded movie theater example.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Sole-Warrior View Post
    Than explain why I've been permanently banned of twitter. Explain why soooooooooooooo many subreddits are being banned even though nothing posted there was a felony offense. There appears to be a widespread crackdown on right wing views. Yes, the focus appears to be against the extreme right, but they have rights too.
    I do like how you link banning subbreddits like r/coontown with "a widespread crackdown on right wing views"

    You're saying the quiet part out loud.

  18. #18
    The Lightbringer GreenGoldSharpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    3,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    Conservatives themselves have even argued for private businesses right to discriminate as they see fit for years prior.
    That went out the window when they realized even capturing the courts wasn't going to stop them from losing the culture wars they started. Now they're going to roll over and play victim to avoid the wrath of the people they actively tried to hurt.

  19. #19
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    30,884
    Quote Originally Posted by Sole-Warrior View Post
    Townhall is a centrist publication
    *LOUD ANNOYING BUZZER*

    Townhall is a right/far-right source of mixed factual reporting.

    What you said is at best a misinformed opinion due to blinders and at worst a blatant lie.

  20. #20
    Guys, he said this:

    Quote Originally Posted by Sole-Warrior View Post
    I do not see a compelling reason to silence QAnon.
    I believe we are done here. Don't feed it.
    “There you stand, the good man doing nothing. And while evil triumphs, and your rigid pacifism crumbles to blood stained dust, the only victory afforded to you is that you stuck true to your guns.”

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •